gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:40:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christmas Songs Without Christmas Lyrics  (Read 3830 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2019, 04:50:36 AM »

Hey everybody (aka Hi all)

Let's list songs that musically you think they're Christmasy but lyrically ANYthing but. Here's to these ears:

Red Roses
I Get Little Sentimental (didn't find Dana's rendition, linking New Seekers instead even if it ain't as Christmasy)
Creedence "Cotton Fields"
High
Taco's elegant cover "Cheek To Cheek", Christmasy starts at 0:38

Few songs listed are Christmasy due as well to fact they'd been discovered around mid-end of December in 2005-6.

You, people?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:43:43 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »

Good call, RR.

Here you go. U2's "City Of Blinding Lights" has a Christmassy feel to these ears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4MfA3BCyI

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »

Some things sound Christmassy to some people simply because they heard them for the first time during the Christmas period.

"Haunted Castle", the instrumental flip of The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie", will forever be associated with Christmas 1963, which was when my brother bought that 45 (at my insistence):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELCW8NI2o0c

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 05:10:47 AM »

A great British classic - Jonah Lewie with Stop the Cavalry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkJHApgKqw

Has a small line about Christmas, but not a Christmas song, now considered one anyway
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 04:23:22 AM »

A great British classic - Jonah Lewie with Stop the Cavalry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkJHApgKqw

Has a small line about Christmas, but not a Christmas song, now considered one anyway

Good call, UEF. I remember it well. It was that year's "Christmas No. 1" if I'm not mistaken.

I've always preferred this one of his--the story of my younger life, in a way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eTq8ErUOQ

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

Cool dialogs going.

Anybody else? Created this thread, it being Christmas season now. Few days back people celebrated Thanksgiving during which people do the same things as in Christmas (face it, there isn't really difference). Thus, it'd be nice to see the others join to tell which songs did they hear that musically or by association, sth.else, seem like Christmas song. Welcome to Christmas thread!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 04:09:33 AM »

I bought The Trashmen's album Kings of the Surf a decade or two ago after some of their more obscure songs had been recommended to me at a riotous supper--at the end of which, I set off resolutely down the restaurant stairs to the street only to end up in the wine cellar. LOL

"Walkin' My Baby" was a bonus track, which for me will always have a Christmassy feel to it, perhaps because the other bonus track was a Christmas song, about Santa doing the Watusi. Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jSRQbEIM-8

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:04:17 AM »

Thank you. Did like the idea to bring story info to songs. Wish everybody just didn't reply with song but little backgrd to it - maybe funny, maybe educational.
This song by Desmond Dekker & The Aces, fave ska band/ artist, been discovered in mid-Dec. 2010, pretty festive time (to me as well really happy time due to fresh hearing 60s songs by various 60s artists. Didn't hear 60s music b4, didn't care towards ancient music generally, it didn't exist. Freshness dutifully disappeared - been 9 yrs since then duh - it's kinda missed today). Thus, the song really brings Christmas images, December-January timeframe. It's jolly summer song really (it's ska hey). I found Pitchfork site that lists 200 best 60s songs (& the other decade lists). I typed "list 60s songs" & been especially intrigued by google preview to Pitchfork (it's great site with very interesting eclectic choices in lists, I did catch it). Looking thru list, I see this song, like the title, the band name & went to the download music site - luckily, there's been collection shared with Pitchfork 200 60s songs! Wow right? When I d/l'ed & played the song, really immediately liked it & like it to date.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJL6D0Rph_I (this specific shortened song, long v-on = inferior)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:08:25 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »

Thank you. Did like the idea to bring story info to songs. Wish everybody just didn't reply with song but little backgrd to it - maybe funny, maybe educational.
This song by Desmond Dekker & The Aces, fave ska band/ artist, been discovered in mid-Dec. 2010, pretty festive time (to me as well really happy time due to fresh hearing 60s songs by various 60s artists. Didn't hear 60s music b4, didn't care towards ancient music generally, it didn't exist. Freshness dutifully disappeared - been 9 yrs since then duh - it's kinda missed today). Thus, the song really brings Christmas images, December-January timeframe. It's jolly summer song really (it's ska hey). I found Pitchfork site that lists 200 best 60s songs (& the other decade lists). I typed "list 60s songs" & been especially intrigued by google preview to Pitchfork (it's great site with very interesting eclectic choices in lists, I did catch it). Looking thru list, I see this song, like the title, the band name & went to the download music site - luckily, there's been collection shared with Pitchfork 200 60s songs! Wow right? When I d/l'ed & played the song, really immediately liked it & like it to date.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJL6D0Rph_I (this specific shortened song, long v-on = inferior)

Good call, RR. Desmond Dekker did some great songs. My favourite is "The israelites". I love his facial expressions! And that bass voice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 05:56:37 PM »

"Dance, Dance, Dance"'s sleigh bells are fairly Christmasey to my ears.

When I was younger I used to think The Beatles' "Oh Darling!" was a Christmas song (I think the local oldies stations I listened to played it more for some reason around November/December) and I occasionally have to remind myself that it's not.  Cheesy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 12:03:09 AM »

^ Interesting discussion, ASL - picking Christmas individual instruments in different songs.

It's real goodie, isn't it? Best AR song. Yes, it's Christmasy - guitars right?

Everybody checking General Music - Nola, Rocker, SMiLE-addict, Ian - join this festive fun thread. 3D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »

Well, nobody else will join? Welcome to the fun Christmas thread. 3D. Poster names listed below. police

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »

Perhaps this is the opposite of what you mean. How about the recent popularity of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" as done by Pentatonix being played at Christmastime? How a song about questioning one's faith, sex and broken relationships became a Christmas song, I haven't quite figured out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »

How a song about questioning one's faith, gender and broken relationships became a Christmas song, I haven't quite figured out.
It fits here. Agree, it ain't even *musically* Christmasy. It's dull as "Morning Christmas". Christmas song must be festive, upbeat as hell, cheerful, chirpy, joyful to the brim, lively, jingly-jangly guitarred (a la "Rockin' Around Christmas Tree"), enthusiastic, energetic, coolicious, mischievous even, jolly. These're THE QUINTESSENTIAL REAL Christmas song ingredients.

I'd add here "You Still Believe In Me". Album entirely is Christmasy to I but especially YSBIM. It's got childlike innocence which you can obviously witness at Christmas & nice cozy piano playing, it's holidayic in noises it brings. & Brian's singing intonations akin to singing Christmas song. But, big factor here is it: I downloaded thru site Pet Sounds in mid-December & when I played it, it superimposed Christmas imagery to it, what with streets & surroundings being festive, house decorated at that time in December - & such.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx