gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:47:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any footage/photos of Carl's final gigs?  (Read 12776 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »

Circling back to that late 1997 photo of Carl wearing the baseball cap with Jerry Schilling, as I mentioned in an older post, someone sent it to me years ago but I can't find it anymore. What I remember is that on whatever forum was the active forum all those years ago, a few folks mentioned how shocking it was and how bad Carl looked, etc. When I finally saw the photo, I thought he looked okay. He's smiling (which is more than I can say for most of the extant 1997 pics).

Hope someone can dig that photo up and post it.
Yeah, he looked quite good to me. He looked to be in good spirits. Years ago on this board, somebody posted a bunch of pictures of Carl from 1996-97, but many of the links are dead.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »

Circling back to that late 1997 photo of Carl wearing the baseball cap with Jerry Schilling, as I mentioned in an older post, someone sent it to me years ago but I can't find it anymore. What I remember is that on whatever forum was the active forum all those years ago, a few folks mentioned how shocking it was and how bad Carl looked, etc. When I finally saw the photo, I thought he looked okay. He's smiling (which is more than I can say for most of the extant 1997 pics).

Yeah, he looked quite good to me. He looked to be in good spirits. Years ago on this board, somebody posted a bunch of pictures of Carl from 1996-97, but many of the links are dead.
I thought he looked good in the pic with Schilling.
Looking back, I guess the first time I remember him not looking so good was on Live with Regis, fall 1996. He looked heavier than normal; but of course he stayed in the background and let Mike and the others do all the talking.
Now that I think about it, even in the footage from the Stars and Stripes videos he seemed to have gained some weight; there was a time in the 80's where he was very slim. Hawaii tv special comes to mind.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 02:25:26 PM »

And many folks, even close to the end, can sometimes look surprisingly pretty good. I've heard the stories of Carl at Audree's funeral (which would have been December 1997 I believe) looking stunningly in pretty good shape and many people were stunned at his quick demise because he had looked so good less than two months earlier.

This makes me think of my aunt who battled cancer.  Christmas 2015 she looked well.  You wouldn't know she was sick by looking at her.  Just over 3 months later, she was gone.

I didn't think he looked bad at all in that picture.  He looked far better than he did in the picture above, which was taken 10 days before his last concert.  I really wish we had a date on the Schilling photo.  The caption in ESQ only said 1997.  So I don't know if it was before or after the above picture.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »

And many folks, even close to the end, can sometimes look surprisingly pretty good. I've heard the stories of Carl at Audree's funeral (which would have been December 1997 I believe) looking stunningly in pretty good shape and many people were stunned at his quick demise because he had looked so good less than two months earlier.

This makes me think of my aunt who battled cancer.  Christmas 2015 she looked well.  You wouldn't know she was sick by looking at her.  Just over 3 months later, she was gone.

I didn't think he looked bad at all in that picture.  He looked far better than he did in the picture above, which was taken 10 days before his last concert.  I really wish we had a date on the Schilling photo.  The caption in ESQ only said 1997.  So I don't know if it was before or after the above picture.
It's just not right that he was taken from us so young. Sure, he had been a smoker for many years, and had dabbled in a few other things, but he had been clean for a long time. The best advice I can give people about smoking is don't get started! Sure seemed like everyone in the biz did it back then, though. The first concert I ever went to, 1975, the radio station guy came out at the start and said "no smoking during the show" and got booed. These days, they get a round of applause for that request!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 07:17:21 AM »

I think in the 90s, prior to (presumably) any diagnosis, Carl did probably just also gain some weight. Not a big deal in and of itself. We obviously aren't privy to any other health details of Carl from prior to his diagnosis.

The guys have all waxed and waned in the appearance/weight department. Brian is obvious. But Al seemed to get a bit heavier in the later 70s into the early 80s. Mike perhaps just a bit as well. Then they all hit like around 1983-1985 and all slimmed down and (apart from Carl) went clean shaven. Look at a pic of Al in like 1983 after he shaved, then compare it to a pic from like 1978 or 1980. The later pic has him looking like 10-15 years younger.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 07:24:25 AM »

I don't recall the potential date, but my impression based on far off memory is that someone framed it as likely the last extant photo of Carl, which I took to mean would be post-August 1997 (where the last concert photos come from). I also recall Jerry Schilling relating some stories of regularly visiting/being with Carl during his final days/weeks/months, so I assumed the picture came from after Carl got off the road (for what was hoped at the time to be a temporary hiatus).

Details of Carl's life in general, and certainly this time frame, are pretty sketchy. I absolutely respect his and his family's clear desire to not delve into a lot of details of his private life. But there are also fans and scholars that aren't looking for salacious or scandalous details in trying to know more about this (or any) time frame.

Little bits are revealed in the Billy Hinsche documentary on Carl, which is, not surprisingly, not particularly revelatory about Carl despite having several hours of reminiscences of various family members and colleagues. But a few tidbits are discussed there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 07:24:51 AM »

Brian and Carl both seemed to enjoy their food over the years (Carl probably had to quit smoking which may not have helped weight wise). Though why Dennis seemed to spend his entire life ripped is a mystery.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »

I don't recall the potential date, but my impression based on far off memory is that someone framed it as likely the last extant photo of Carl, which I took to mean would be post-August 1997 (where the last concert photos come from). I also recall Jerry Schilling relating some stories of regularly visiting/being with Carl during his final days/weeks/months, so I assumed the picture came from after Carl got off the road (for what was hoped at the time to be a temporary hiatus).

Details of Carl's life in general, and certainly this time frame, are pretty sketchy. I absolutely respect his and his family's clear desire to not delve into a lot of details of his private life. But there are also fans and scholars that aren't looking for salacious or scandalous details in trying to know more about this (or any) time frame.

Little bits are revealed in the Billy Hinsche documentary on Carl, which is, not surprisingly, not particularly revelatory about Carl despite having several hours of reminiscences of various family members and colleagues. But a few tidbits are discussed there.

I actually purchased the Carl DVD from Billy a few days ago.  Haven't received it yet, but looking forward to it.  Have you seen the Dennis DVD?  I'm thinking about getting it too.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »

I think in the 90s, prior to (presumably) any diagnosis, Carl did probably just also gain some weight. Not a big deal in and of itself. We obviously aren't privy to any other health details of Carl from prior to his diagnosis.

The guys have all waxed and waned in the appearance/weight department. Brian is obvious. But Al seemed to get a bit heavier in the later 70s into the early 80s. Mike perhaps just a bit as well. Then they all hit like around 1983-1985 and all slimmed down and (apart from Carl) went clean shaven. Look at a pic of Al in like 1983 after he shaved, then compare it to a pic from like 1978 or 1980. The later pic has him looking like 10-15 years younger.
Yeah, I recall someone asking if Al ironed his forehead,  LOL. I know people hate the 80's clothing styles, and Mike's stupid headware, but they were really looking better then. Except for Dennis, of course. His decline was shocking to me at the time.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »

There were a set of photos taken by a fellow named Ed Primm that were taken at a concert in Raleigh, NC on 6/13/97.  There are several good shots of Carl, but I've never seen these photos surface online and I don't know how to get in touch with the photographer.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx