gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:35:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vintage photos of Beach Boys albums and record displays  (Read 8548 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »

I just discovered some cool photos on the interwebs of a Westwood, CA Wherehouse record store from 1983, where you can see the 1983 BBs "Rarities" album on display.

I know there are the photos of Brian posing beside the Party chips display, and Denny at an in-store record shop appearance for POB; i'm wondering if there are any other such photos that people have stashed away.

Even if it's just a photo from the 1970s of a fan's living room with Holland LP cover on display and playing in the background.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:18:06 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »

How about movie shots? This is from "Cactus Flower", 1969, Walter Matthau and Goldie Hawn. Goldie works in a record shop...

Look just over Matthau's right shoulder at the back wall display for a familiar cover:

There are several more (and closer) shots of that cover in other scenes in the record shop, that's how I spotted it originally in the film. Neat movie BTW, a cool time capsule too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »

How about movie shots? This is from "Cactus Flower", 1969, Walter Matthau and Goldie Hawn. Goldie works in a record shop...

Look just over Matthau's right shoulder at the back wall display for a familiar cover:

There are several more (and closer) shots of that cover in other scenes in the record shop, that's how I spotted it originally in the film. Neat movie BTW, a cool time capsule too.

Damn, that PS pic with Matthau is AWESOME - thanks, GF!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »

Hey wow, been meaning to see "Cactus Flower". Cool PS catch, GF. Thanks to share. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »

Seems like Best Of Vol. 3 is also there too.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »

Whoah! Good catch. Now that's a hell of an obscure BBs LP cover to see in a vintage movie.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »

There are probably bunch of vintage store signing photos showing BB albums in shops. Here's an "LA (Light Album)" signing:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »

1988 (obviously)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »

There are probably bunch of vintage store signing photos showing BB albums in shops. Here's an "LA (Light Album)" signing:

I think Carl is maybe wearing a POB "WILSON" shirt?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »

London 1972 (supposedly)

roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 12:33:21 PM »

Who are the people next to Bruce?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »

Cactus flower rules! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »

That is cool- I've seen Cactus Flower a million times and never noticed it.  Funny movie.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »

It would appear there's a copy of BB85 being held by Rodney Bingenheimer in 1987's "Back to the Beach". I'm guessing it was his idea to use it as a prop.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »

Whoah! Good catch. Now that's a hell of an obscure BBs LP cover to see in a vintage movie.

Very, very interesting.  The movie was mostly filmed in NYC in February '69.   I guess if there was ever a time Best of BB V3 was going to be on the shelf, that'd it more or less be it.  BTW, that's a heck of a weird  11-track compilation...  Surfin', Frosty the Snowman, Heroes & Villains.   So random.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 11:01:44 PM »

This is it. The big kahuna. I don't think in the history of Hollywood films, you will find another movie that has more Beach Boys record displays that get more screen time than in 1977's "Record City" - it's currently streaming on Amazon Prime. Mostly these appear to be displays for 15 Big Ones and Rock & Roll music, But if you look hard enough you might spot some other weird BBs related stuff too.

It's super cheesy and super bad, but an occasionally funny and bizarre nugget of the time nonetheless.

The whole movie takes place in a record store. Every conceivable obscure actor from the time is in the movie as well.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »

London 1972 (supposedly)
E

I would KILL for that Who display!  Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »

London 1972 (supposedly)
E

I would KILL for that Who display!  Shocked

Off-topic, but apparently at this very moment in time, you can purchase John Entwhistle's own car on eBay if you want it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Owned-By-Rock-Star-John-Entwistle-/254648171338

I wonder if any cars that were previously owned by BBs members have ever come up for sale (and advertised as such)?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 02:30:16 AM »

Record City (1978)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKl1Iqqtxbc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »

I never would've thought that Jennifer Connelly would share the screen with The Beach Boys, but in the 1991 film Career Opportunities, it actually happened:

This movie was shot at a Target store in late 1989. It looks like there are not one but possibly two Beach Boys tapes there; they look like cheapie budget compilations which were common back then. I wonder if anybody can make out what specifically they were.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 02:32:27 PM »

One of them might be Made in USA.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »

Yep, I'd say in late 1989 the most likely cassette rolling around the racks that looked like that would have been 1986's "Made in USA":

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »

And the blue spine tape directly below the BB tape is likely a Beatles tape, probably Rubber Soul:

And below that probably Sgt. Pepper:

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »

And the blue spine tape directly below the BB tape is likely a Beatles tape, probably Rubber Soul:

And below that probably Sgt. Pepper:

Ah, very cool, thanks for the detective work, HJ!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 10:07:11 AM »

Just watched the newly-produced true crime series "The Ripper" on Netflix, and to my surprise I saw a BBs poster:

This is during a shot of stock footage of a man walking in what I presume to be the UK in the 1970s. Looks like this was a gig with with Santana, can anybody idea the show and its date?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx