gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:59:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vintage photos of Beach Boys albums and record displays  (Read 8586 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »

The Beach Boys and Santana both played Knebworth in 1980.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »

I never would've thought that Jennifer Connelly would share the screen with The Beach Boys, but in the 1991 film Career Opportunities, it actually happened:

This movie was shot at a Target store in late 1989. It looks like there are not one but possibly two Beach Boys tapes there; they look like cheapie budget compilations which were common back then. I wonder if anybody can make out what specifically they were.

Looks like the Young Einstein soundtrack is there right above Made In USA too.

Roll and rock to the rescue
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:15:43 AM by Occasional grilled cheese » Logged

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »

The Beach Boys and Santana both played Knebworth in 1980.

Interesting. It's entirely possible the stock footage is from 1980 then, despite it being used in a section of the documentary talking about the mid '70s.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2021, 11:40:24 AM »

I never would've thought that Jennifer Connelly would share the screen with The Beach Boys, but in the 1991 film Career Opportunities, it actually happened:

This movie was shot at a Target store in late 1989. It looks like there are not one but possibly two Beach Boys tapes there; they look like cheapie budget compilations which were common back then. I wonder if anybody can make out what specifically they were.

That's an awesome discovery.  I saw Young Einstein in the theater in first run when I was a kid.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »

That's an awesome discovery.  I saw Young Einstein in the theater in first run when I was a kid.

A classic for sure. Wish some of the repertory houses around here would give it some screen time. By the time I first saw it the soundtrack was rather hard to find. Somehow this came up in front of my 12th grade English teacher years later and he was nice enough to burn a copy for me. Eventually found the cassette at an Ohio Goodwill during a Tim Horton's run.

I need to work on this rambling thing. That wall of tapes from Career Opportunities is a decent seek and find puzzle.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:50:49 PM by Occasional grilled cheese » Logged

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »

Two things: Looks like The Beach Boys are misplaced in the "movies" section. And that looks like a Capitol cassette of The Beatles "Something New" in the rack under the BB's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »

A classic for sure. Wish some of the repertory houses around here would give it some screen time. By the time I first saw it the soundtrack was rather hard to find. Somehow this came up in front of my 12th grade English teacher years later and he was nice enough to burn a copy for me. Eventually found the cassette at an Ohio Goodwill during a Tim Horton's run.

I need to work on this rambling thing. That wall of tapes from Career Opportunities is a decent seek and find puzzle.

It's an interesting movie, last I checked it was still on Amazon Prime. Not a great film by any means but an interesting time capsule. Honestly probably the worst of the "teenage" films that was scripted by John Hughes, but it still has some cool dated weirdo nuggets about it.

As GF pointed out, I wonder how the tape got misplaced in that section! Perhaps it was somebody who worked in the set dressing department who put it there on purpose if they were a BBs fan, to give the band some tiny smidge of screen time.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2021, 02:58:22 PM »

It's an interesting movie, last I checked it was still on Amazon Prime. Not a great film by any means but an interesting time capsule. Honestly probably the worst of the "teenage" films that was scripted by John Hughes, but it still has some cool dated weirdo nuggets about it.

As GF pointed out, I wonder how the tape got misplaced in that section! Perhaps it was somebody who worked in the set dressing department who put it there on purpose if they were a BBs fan, to give the band some tiny smidge of screen time.

Perhaps the propmaster was an early internet adopter who saw the long tail of people like us ruminating over this 30 some odd years later.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2021, 04:44:54 PM »

Perhaps the propmaster was an early internet adopter who saw the long tail of people like us ruminating over this 30 some odd years later.

I think you nailed it  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2021, 07:04:29 AM »

I think you nailed it  LOL

They also snuck the Beatles into the wrong rack... LOL

Hardly an accident. Now if they had placed a Monkees tape in there too, my head would explode. That would cover all my bases.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2021, 06:30:36 PM »

And the blue spine tape directly below the BB tape is likely a Beatles tape, probably Rubber Soul:

And below that probably Sgt. Pepper:

Rubber Soul was the first cassette I ever bought. I still have it, too.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx