gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:10:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Pet Sounds: The Prequel"? New ep of Surf's Up: A Beach Boys Podcast Safari  (Read 1932 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »

Hello all,

Phil Miglioratti (of the Pray for Surf blog) and I have just released a new podcast in which we are joined by Philip Lambert, editor of Good Vibrations: Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys in Critical Perspective and author of Inside the Music of Brian Wilson, to each come up with an album's worth of earlier Beach Boys songs/Brian Wilson productions that anticipate the 1966 masterpiece in terms of sound, structure, theme, anything. Some of the selections are what you might expect, while others might surprise. I mean, "Cuckoo Clock," really? Have a listen at the following link and please let us know what you think: https://archive.org/details/petsoundsprequelolambertpodcastosurfsup

You can also visit our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/PodcastSafari/

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:50:47 PM by Mark Dillon » Logged

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »

It better be called "Remember The Zoo". XD
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »

Very nice listen!

Here is mine:

1. California Girls (musically similar to Wouldn't It Be Nice with a magical intro)
2. Yours So Go To Me (Similar phrase to You Still Believe in Me and the organ bass has a similar tune to the plucked piano strings)
3. When I Grow Up (Another great song with mostly Beach Boys on instruments like That's Not Me)
4. In the Back of My Mind (Powerful orchestrations and no vocal harmonies)
5. Let Him Run Wild (similar up beat ballad to I'm Waiting for the Day and a similar lyrical meaning)
6. Summer Means New Love (another beautiful instramental like Let's Go Away for Awhile)
7. Back Home (folk song like Sloop John B. I thought about Swanee River, but doesn't stack up production wise)

8. The Warmth of the Sun (similar power and beauty as God Only Knows)
9. The Little Girl I Once Knew (I couldn't really find a match for IKTAA, but I really wanted this song on the album)
10. Wendy (has a music strangeness and lyric similar to Here Today)
11. In My Room (The closest thing to an in perspective Brian like IWMFTT)
12. Stoked (Pet Sounds is kind of a surf instrumental, and Stoked is my favorite original by the BB)
13. Please Let Me Wonder (This could have also been Guess I'm Dumb for Caroline No)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:25:04 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:39:27 AM »

Wow, MTR. Great list. Some smart suggestions we didn't include.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »

Wow, MTR. Great list. Some smart suggestions we didn't include.

Thank you!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx