gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:41:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841671 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4200 on: September 23, 2021, 12:38:53 PM »

How come that they sing "Riot in Cell Block #9" and afterwards Mike is citing the lyrics to "Student Demonstration Time"?

They had been doing "Riot" for a year or two, and I think they recorded "Student Demonstration Time" a few months after this May gig. My guess would be Mike is reciting his brand new, as-yet-unrecorded, re-written lyrics?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4201 on: September 24, 2021, 01:02:46 AM »

I've never understood why they performed "Okie"  Huh I like the song but is it some kind of tongue in cheek joke? It's a bit subtle for that, no?

Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: September 24, 2021, 05:25:02 AM »

I think they just played it cos they'd played it on stage with the Grateful Dead, and they were trying to play on the hip connection.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4203 on: September 24, 2021, 07:03:53 AM »

How come that they sing "Riot in Cell Block #9" and afterwards Mike is citing the lyrics to "Student Demonstration Time"?

They had been doing "Riot" for a year or two, and I think they recorded "Student Demonstration Time" a few months after this May gig. My guess would be Mike is reciting his brand new, as-yet-unrecorded, re-written lyrics?

According to Wikipedia the album was released in August, the recording of the song done between November '70 and early '71. I'd think that by this time (May '71) they would do "Student Demonstratin Time". But maybe they only started doing it after the album was released?  Huh

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4204 on: September 24, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »

I've never understood why they performed "Okie"  Huh I like the song but is it some kind of tongue in cheek joke? It's a bit subtle for that, no?

The crowds at that time loved it by all accounts and recordings available. It was definitely tongue in cheek when artists like The Beach Boys performed it, playing up the lyrics like "we don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee" as pure parody and comedy for the counterculture. Merle Haggard himself wrote the song purely at face value after touring through those areas and seeing the differences between rural America and cities like San Francisco, and the song went to number 1 on the country charts, but later Haggard said he started to sing it and view it with a different perspective with a lot of events and years in his rearview mirror than he had originally.

The Grateful Dead also covered other Merle Haggard songs, bottom line is he wrote good songs that were popular and had a good country beat that bands liked playing, and with "Okie" it was a good laugh for the audiences who were smoking pot and dropping LSD so it turned into parody with a good beat. I thought The Beach Boys always knocked it out of the park with the song, and it got the crowds moving and grooving and singing along.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:15:15 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4205 on: September 24, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

I've never understood why they performed "Okie"  Huh I like the song but is it some kind of tongue in cheek joke? It's a bit subtle for that, no?

The crowds at that time loved it by all accounts and recordings available. It was definitely tongue in cheek when artists like The Beach Boys performed it, playing up the lyrics like "we don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee" as pure parody and comedy for the counterculture. Merle Haggard himself wrote the song purely at face value after touring through those areas and seeing the differences between rural America and cities like San Francisco, and the song went to number 1 on the country charts, but later Haggard said he started to sing it and view it with a different perspective with a lot of events and years in his rearview mirror than he had originally.

The Grateful Dead also covered other Merle Haggard songs, bottom line is he wrote good songs that were popular and had a good country beat that bands liked playing, and with "Okie" it was a good laugh for the audiences who were smoking pot and dropping LSD so it turned into parody with a good beat. I thought The Beach Boys always knocked it out of the park with the song, and it got the crowds moving and grooving and singing along.

Thanks. It just seems odd for a band that was perceived as square and actively trying to become more "hip" to sing this song. It's very close to the bone. I guess I'm not giving audiences enough credit.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4206 on: September 24, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »

I've never understood why they performed "Okie"  Huh I like the song but is it some kind of tongue in cheek joke? It's a bit subtle for that, no?

Thanks. It just seems odd for a band that was perceived as square and actively trying to become more "hip" to sing this song. It's very close to the bone. I guess I'm not giving audiences enough credit.

Plus it was a bit of a joke in that all of The Beach Boys minus Bruce and Al were getting buzzed on various different things by that point.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cigarette Light Joke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: September 26, 2021, 01:13:46 AM »

Sorry if this has been covered.

What’s the deal with the ending of surfs up live in 73? The performance is beautiful, especially Carl's lead, and then there’s this really weird series of hits at the end. It sounds random to me, does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I missing some reference in the music?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: September 26, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »

One of my favorite moments on the box that I've recently discovered is the live version of "long promised road", particularly when Carl starts singing "yeah, yeah" repeatedly during the bridge. It just feels like he's really getting into the groove of it.

I haven't deep dived into the live recordings of this era, so I don't know if that was just something that he did off the cuff this one performance, or if it was more of a recurring thing when they would play this song during the era, does anybody know?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4209 on: September 27, 2021, 09:08:28 AM »

According to Wikipedia the album was released in August, the recording of the song done between November '70 and early '71. I'd think that by this time (May '71) they would do "Student Demonstratin Time". But maybe they only started doing it after the album was released?  Huh

I don't know what the definitive sessionography is on that one. In scouring for info, I see a notation for a mixing session for "Student..." in November '70, but then additional (presumably *recording*) sessions for it in July '71 in the midst of a flurry of "Surf's Up" album sessions.

I recall Blondie Chaplin saying his first Beach Boys session was playing bass on "Student...."; was Blondie really recording with the band as early as November 1970? Or would he have been at those mid-1971-ish sessions?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4210 on: September 27, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »

I don't know what the definitive sessionography is on that one. In scouring for info, I see a notation for a mixing session for "Student..." in November '70, but then additional (presumably *recording*) sessions for it in July '71 in the midst of a flurry of "Surf's Up" album sessions.

I recall Blondie Chaplin saying his first Beach Boys session was playing bass on "Student...."; was Blondie really recording with the band as early as November 1970? Or would he have been at those mid-1971-ish sessions?

Good question. I don't know. Maybe C-Man or Ian know more about this.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: September 27, 2021, 11:07:29 AM »

According to Wikipedia the album was released in August, the recording of the song done between November '70 and early '71. I'd think that by this time (May '71) they would do "Student Demonstratin Time". But maybe they only started doing it after the album was released?  Huh

The November 1970 mix was used on the album, with the July 1971 AFM certainly an after the fact writeup for appearances. By rule of thumb and other evidence, so are the others from late in that month.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 02:58:23 AM by WillJC » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: September 29, 2021, 01:33:49 AM »

Two of the funniest moments of the box, both during My Solution :

Brian rolling/annunciating the letter "r" during the word "pRoduced" at 0:23 (was this an attempt at a Boris Karloff impersonation?)

Brian comically speeding up his spoken word lyric "...to all mankind" so that he gets to *barely* squeeze in all the awkward verbose words just before the chorus comes in at 1:10

I played this song for my mom who could not stop laughing. I guess this could be considered the spiritual sequel to Monster Mash?

I used to share "My Solution" sometimes on Facebook years ago, and one former member of Curt Boettcher's band The Millennium (if you haven't heard their amazing album "Begin", check it out) insisted that it had no merit whatsoever and shamed me for sharing it. I said that it was deadpan and funny, neither one of us would back down, we got into an argument about it, and he wound up de-friending me over it. Sheesh!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:26:55 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4213 on: September 29, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »

Two of the funniest moments of the box, both during My Solution :

Brian rolling/annunciating the letter "r" during the word "pRoduced" at 0:23 (was this an attempt at a Boris Karloff impersonation?)

Brian comically speeding up his spoken word lyric "...to all mankind" so that he gets to *barely* squeeze in all the awkward verbose words just before the chorus comes in at 1:10

I played this song for my mom who could not stop laughing. I guess this could be considered the spiritual sequel to Monster Mash?

I used to share this song sometimes on Facebook years ago, and one former member of Curt Boettcher's band The Millennium (if you haven't heard their amazing album "Begin", you have to check it out) insisted that it had no merit whatsoever and shamed me for sharing it. I said that it was deadpan and funny, neither one of us would back down, we got into an argument about it, and he wound up de-friending me over it. Sheesh!

WTF?! Musicians should never discredit other musicians like that , and for him to be a complete prick as well? Crazy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4214 on: October 02, 2021, 02:30:32 PM »

Well, it was only a matter of time 'til something like this was done....  LOL

LL Cool J vs The Beach Boys - It's About Time You Got Knocked Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKcQ8Zs_ML8

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4215 on: October 02, 2021, 05:56:29 PM »

That reminds me of some awards show back in the ‘80s — the Beach Boys were appearing during the show. During LL Cool J’s performace, the camera cut to various audience reaction shots, including one of Carl Wilson grooving to LL’s number.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 05:58:26 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4216 on: October 03, 2021, 01:58:48 AM »

That reminds me of some awards show back in the ‘80s — the Beach Boys were appearing during the show. During LL Cool J’s performace, the camera cut to various audience reaction shots, including one of Carl Wilson grooving to LL’s number.

I was trying to find that on youtube, but couldn't do so. But I saw this shout-out to Dennis from 1984 (ca. 1:30:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stC-XRBp_rM

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: October 03, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »

I was trying to find that on youtube, but couldn't do so. But I saw this shout-out to Dennis from 1984 (ca. 1:30:00)

And no response of any kind from the audience.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: October 04, 2021, 03:36:02 AM »

Bit late to this one. The Feels Flow vinyl set was a birthday gift so hadn't listened to any of this set until Friday.

Just wanted to say what a delight this is and say a massive thanks to all those involved in making it a reality, Howie Edelson, Mark Linett & Alan Boyd - I'm sure there are many others pushing to get this stuff out there - thanks for all the hard work.

Now listening, via Apple Music,  to the stuff not included in the vinyl and as ever with the Beach Boys, the backing tracks are blowing me away!! They're like distinct little works of art in themselves - always seems to be something unique to the Beach boys, this, as I don't find other bands' backing tracks or session material nearly as satisfying, even The Beatles.

I still have to digest it all but the biggest initial knockout was the backing track to ADINTLOAT. That just floored me. One the last 5 or so  years my listening habits have gravitated away from the BBs a bit, but every now and then I'll hear something like this and be reminded that no one can compose like BW. Of course, the other band members are heavily represented on the set which gives it a musical diversity that I haven't experienced on previous BB archival releases.

Great stuff and well worth the wait!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: October 04, 2021, 11:24:43 AM »

That was incredibly awkward.
WindChimes529
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: October 05, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »

Sorry if this has been covered.

What’s the deal with the ending of surfs up live in 73? The performance is beautiful, especially Carl's lead, and then there’s this really weird series of hits at the end. It sounds random to me, does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I missing some reference in the music?

I sort of thought the same thing myself when hearing it the first time. Scanning another live version of the period, it seems this was the typical ending. The ending I've heard on a couple of '74 versions is more abrupt with fewer "hits" at the end.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: October 05, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »

That was incredibly awkward.

The presenter kind of mucked it up though and I don't think people were apathetic about Dennis' passing but rather didn't know what to do because it seemed the presenter was about to say more.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: October 06, 2021, 01:02:44 PM »

Has anyone noticed that the sound quality of "I've Got A Friend" isn't as good as the rest of the Dennis titles? There is a lot of hiss, and what seem to be crackles, for lack of a better term.

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: October 14, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »

I don't know if this has happened on any of the other streaming services, but all of the subtitles (Live/year, backing track, etc.) have disappeared from the album's YouTube Music page.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: October 14, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »

I don't know if this has happened on any of the other streaming services, but all of the subtitles (Live/year, backing track, etc.) have disappeared from the album's YouTube Music page.
Some are subtitled and some aren't.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx