gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:54:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841573 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4175 on: September 10, 2021, 03:11:33 PM »

And -- if it is slightly tape-speed altered, and was Reggie's idea to do that, wouldn't it be hilarious?  One minute he's speeding up the tape to make Brian sound like a 10 year old, the next he wants the guys to sound as manly as possible.

Maybe it wasn't all Reggie's idea: All the discussion about these lower register voices at this time reminded me how there was talk at this same time about changing the band name to something more "manly", like "The Beach Men" or even "The Beach", and even going back to the Wild Honey era there were reports that Brian was upset with the band being referred to as choirboys, with their trademark high-register vocal sounds.

So it would make perfect sense, and fit into the timeline, if they deliberately went for lower vocal sounds like the ones we're discussing to change that perception and maybe score a hit with a lower sound. Source of the band name topic: The Carlin book, for one.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: September 14, 2021, 03:57:16 AM »

Are we allowed to know any details of it?

I think Alan described it in his ESQ interview a couple of weeks ago. He said it was pretty inconsequential, if that was what he was referring to.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: September 14, 2021, 04:17:23 PM »

There's a lot of stuff to discuss re: Feel Flows music and production. I've been humbly thinking of suggesting a new thread about it. Just a tiny example: the sound of the backing vocals excerpt of "Break Away". Are these slowed down?

More accurately, some of those vocals were recorded with the tape running fast, and so played back at "normal" speed they sound lower and slower.

Yes, I was oversimplifiying it. That was what I was thinking, the "Rain" technique.

Anyone has links to Desper discussing on this board the recording/mixing of the background vocals on Sunflower (eg. the This Whole World tag)? I don't know if it's compression or what, but they never sounded that thick, for lack of a better word.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: September 14, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »

Feel Flows Billboard. Pretty cool! 👏👏👏

https://youtu.be/1BK2ZTBPygA
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: September 19, 2021, 08:50:22 AM »

A friend of mine and I recorded a discussion/breakdown/video review of the Feel Flows set... and we wound up talking about the set for nearly 4 and a half hours LOL :https://youtu.be/W1QoT1zcMZI
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4180 on: September 19, 2021, 12:52:45 PM »

Guys and gals, I'm going to buy the two-disc set tomorrow. Originally I wanted to get the five disc set, mainly because it has that killer live version of "It's about Time" on it. But I have to spend money on some other things in the coming weeks and therefore the 90 € for the set would be too much. I will be fine with the two discs, won't I?   Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: September 19, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »

Rocker - I will pray that you find money under a couch cushion!!!
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: September 20, 2021, 05:21:32 AM »

Guys and gals, I'm going to buy the two-disc set tomorrow. Originally I wanted to get the five disc set, mainly because it has that killer live version of "It's about Time" on it. But I have to spend money on some other things in the coming weeks and therefore the 90 € for the set would be too much. I will be fine with the two discs, won't I?   Smiley
IF you don't mind a digital version, Qobuz have the 5 disc set in CD quality for £33
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/feel-flows-the-sunflower-surfs-up-sessions-1969-1971-super-deluxe-the-beach-boys/epf88ak49brsa

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4183 on: September 20, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »

Thanks for your replies, guys! I'm afraid I sounded more desparate than I wanted to. All is fine. I'm very happy with getting the two-disc set (the store was closed today, so I'll go tomorrow during my lunch break). A friend of mine bought the five disc set (I think it has even been delivered already), so I will hear the "missing" songs.
But thanks again Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: September 20, 2021, 11:00:55 AM »

Two of the funniest moments of the box, both during My Solution :

Brian rolling/annunciating the letter "r" during the word "pRoduced" at 0:23 (was this an attempt at a Boris Karloff impersonation?)

Brian comically speeding up his spoken word lyric "...to all mankind" so that he gets to *barely* squeeze in all the awkward verbose words just before the chorus comes in at 1:10

I played this song for my mom who could not stop laughing. I guess this could be considered the spiritual sequel to Monster Mash?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:52:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: September 20, 2021, 03:49:22 PM »

You know what THAT means!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: September 21, 2021, 05:31:30 PM »

Yes, "My Solution" is hilarious.  I keep finding more things to laugh at!

I love that Brian chose the word "damsel."  Cracks me up!

And then you contrast the comedy with utterly terrifying bridge!  Whoa!

Love the production, too.  Brian was really mastering the synth, wasn't he?   That repeating synth sound "CHUGGA-CHugga-Chugga-chugga" is great.  And the sound of tapping glass as if someone is playing music on test tubes and vials.  Was anyone else is the rock world using the synth like this at this time?  I don't really know, but it does seem early to me for effects of this type.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: September 22, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »

My Solution was hands down the song I was most looking forward to.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: September 22, 2021, 09:09:34 AM »

Has there ever been any info on why My Solution was recorded in the 1st place?

There's no way this was ever done with the intent of it being an album track on any project, right?

I'm guessing it was just written/recorded for fun/as a goof, but wondering if anyone knows any other info.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: September 22, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »

There's no way this was ever done with the intent of it being an album track on any project, right?

I'm guessing it was just written/recorded for fun/as a goof, but wondering if anyone knows any other info.

Considering Brian was planning to put it on an album in 1976, and it ended up (in re-written form) on Imagination, I don't see why they wouldn't have done it back then.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: September 22, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »

It was supposed to be a Halloween track - maybe a Halloween single?  Or Bside?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: September 22, 2021, 11:51:38 PM »

It was supposed to be a Halloween track - maybe a Halloween single?  Or Bside?

He was recording it on Halloween, so that'd be hard to make happen.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4192 on: September 23, 2021, 06:58:21 AM »

May Day, 1971:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zFZlyjnBw

Fascinating. At one point you're literally standing over Dennis watching him drum.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: September 23, 2021, 07:30:58 AM »

That footage deserves its own thread!  What a great document.  Love to see Dennis and Daryl Dragon up there.  What a cool looking band they were at that point.  And even the hippies couldn't help but love singing along with Wouldn't It Be Nice.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4194 on: September 23, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »

That footage deserves its own thread!  What a great document.  Love to see Dennis and Daryl Dragon up there.  What a cool looking band they were at that point.  And even the hippies couldn't help but love singing along with Wouldn't It Be Nice.

This is of course as most can probably tell the footage they used for that very short bit in the "An American Band" doc during the "Student Demonstration Time" bit.

I think some of this footage may have been up awhile back on one of the stock footage websites (Getty, or "Historic Films", etc.), but I think this is the first time the footage has had audio. It's not in-line audio, but it's actually almost more fascinating to hear the camera crew mic-ing this, as once it gets to the on-stage footage, it literally sounds (and looks) like what it would have been like to just wander around on stage during a BB show in 1971.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4195 on: September 23, 2021, 09:06:20 AM »

So, rummaging through old lists of touring band members, would that be Jeff Kaplan on bass during "God Only Knows?"

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4196 on: September 23, 2021, 09:28:26 AM »

So great to see more of this footage. I was hoping it would come out!
Not too long ago I read about this and also some recollections of people who attended the May day. Here's an article about it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1990.msg669651.html#msg669651

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: September 23, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »

I can't stop listening to the "It's about time" track and backing vocals

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:34 AM »

Beautiful stuff, a reminder of a period of fleeting, youthful unity that could even forgive our boys for their "trespasses." The footage gives just about everyone a chance in the spotlight except good ol' Al, anchoring things as he would always do. Those shots of Dennis and Daryl are phenomenal, but so is the later sequence that shows Bruce with precision and low-key panache on GOK, helping to elevate it into a hymn of love--just what the doctor ordered for a concert held on May Day, 1971.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4199 on: September 23, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »

How come that they sing "Riot in Cell Block #9" and afterwards Mike is citing the lyrics to "Student Demonstration Time"?

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx