gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:30:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 839089 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4025 on: August 30, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »

Regarding Al on the alternate "Don't Go Near the Water", I think this highlights (as does "Take a Load...") how much Al could sound like Brian.

It sounds like Al to me, but he's either purposefully or just accidentally doing a pretty good Brian impression, not just in tone, but in that weird, kind of stilted child-like Brian talk-sing voice at the very beginning.

Al having such a disdain for the "Take A Load....." is so friggin' weird. I mean, I maybe get the root of where he's coming from in that he and Brian are singing in a slightly higher-pitched tone or something, but the fact that he finds the *performance* problematic but doesn't seem to have any problem with the seemingly goofy/slight nature of the composition/lyrics, well, that's our Al.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4026 on: August 30, 2021, 06:58:09 AM »

While I think the main tone and takeaway from this set is the uplifting, positive nature of the set, and its release, and the music (obviously), and how for once we can briefly side-step all of the politics and interpersonal stuff, I do have to say that folks are *not* wrong for reading the Brian-Murry exchange as one that is *obviously* imbued with the epic drama of their lifelong relationship.

I think even people with overall very good relationships with their parents and other family can relate to those moments when, even well past childhood, a parent is, well, just kind of f**king with you (knowingly or unknowingly), and gaslighting you or patronizing you or being somehow manipulative, or using the relationship history in a not-so-nice fashion to brow-beat a situation or a conversation. The Murry bit here truly *is* cut from the same cloth as the "Rhonda" session. It doesn't mean Murry or Brian actually hate the song. But the whole thing is obviously weighed down by their relationship history. *Of course* Brian's laugh is what it seems to be; it's awkward and clearly exaggerated out of frustration/sarcasm, that seemed to be the only way Brian could vent back at Murry in these types of weird conversations. Much like the "Rhonda" session, Brian's old enough that he kind of bites back a little bit, but he's clearly weighed down by Murry here as well.

Not to over-analyze. But no, that exchange is not an innocuous exchange. Kudos for including it and letting it speak for itself. It's not some huge black moment on the set or anything. But it's a truthful little tiny moment of their relationship on tape.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 30, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »

A question from a streamer to those lucky enough to have the physical release: Hawaiian Dream was written by Brian and produced by Dennis? Is that credit right?

And You Need a Mess to Stand Alone and Marcella are at the end as teasers for an eventual next box, right? According to the research included on the Bellagio site, there's a demo for Marcella from late december 1971, obviously not the vocal tracks we're hearing now.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 30, 2021, 08:06:08 AM »

dupe
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:07:32 AM by monkee knutz » Logged
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 30, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »

Greetings all,
While waiting on my sets to arrive, I'm hoping that someone can confirm or deny claims that these sets contain different mixes between them.
I read somewhere back in June that a specific mix of this or that was exclusive to the 2CD set and not the 5 CD set itself, and vise versa. Does anyone else recall this tidbit/news in regards to them?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 30, 2021, 08:58:44 AM »

The lack of group interviews for this release is so disappointing.

No indepth interview about this amazing period of time  Cry
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:59:57 AM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 30, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »

been listening the last few days and I am loving it! Oh boy they NAILED the Susie Cincinnati mix this time, this is my favorite mix of it by far. Also "Sound of Free" sounds really great, love the harder guitar sounds towards the end. Has anyone else listened to the Marcella acapella like 50 times? Holy heck Mike Love's bass parts on there and the "uh-huh" harmonies on the second verse are amazing. I think I just noticed something... Is that Dennis singing the "one arm, ONE ARM over my shoulder, sandals.. that dance, DANCE at my feet ,etc, Her eyes, THOSE eyes etc"  part on the left speaker second chorus starting around around 1:36??  it sounds like him and it's amazing and I never realized it until now.

Yep, the Marcella acapella track may even be my favourite of the complete boxset. Why was it included though? As a tease for the next release? Same for Mess of Help. I thought both were tracks from 1972 (So Tough era)
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 30, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »

Here's what you missed:

"I think my cousin Bri' was more interested in the drugs at that time."

"Til I Die is fantastic. It was Brian's last great song. I wrote Disney Girls because 22-year-olds smoking pot gave me the heebie jeebies."

"We usually ate all the food in Brian's fridge before we recorded. Surf's Up was kind of a drag because there were all these people around Brian's sandbox doing drugs. I kept out of all that! But... I should probably rerecord Take a Load Off Your Feet. Wait, was Vegetables on that album?"

"What? Surf's Up? Oh, yeah, that song was quite an experience. Van Dyke wrote that one in 15 minutes and I thought it was fantastic. Then we did Summer Days and Summer Nights, a real rock and roll type album."
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: August 30, 2021, 10:44:37 AM »

Here's what you missed:

"I think my cousin Bri' was more interested in the drugs at that time."

"Til I Die is fantastic. It was Brian's last great song. I wrote Disney Girls because 22-year-olds smoking pot gave me the heebie jeebies."

"We usually ate all the food in Brian's fridge before we recorded. Surf's Up was kind of a drag because there were all these people around Brian's sandbox doing drugs. I kept out of all that! But... I should probably rerecord Take a Load Off Your Feet. Wait, was Vegetables on that album?"

"What? Surf's Up? Oh, yeah, that song was quite an experience. Van Dyke wrote that one in 15 minutes and I thought it was fantastic. Then we did Summer Days and Summer Nights, a real rock and roll type album."

LOL
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: August 30, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »

Just a random comment.  

These guys were obviously paying attention in the studio in the years prior to ‘69 and ‘70.  They picked up on the harmony stuff they’d heard/ performed with/from Brian. These vocals are what we will hear when we pass through the gates of heaven!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4035 on: August 30, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »

Just a random comment.  

These guys were obviously paying attention in the studio in the years prior to ‘69 and ‘70.  They picked up on the harmony stuff they’d heard/ performed with/from Brian. These vocals are what we will hear when we pass through the gates of heaven!

Absolutely! I may be wrong on this but I seem to remember reading that the vocal arrangements were done by Al, Bruce and Carl if Brian wasn't interested. It's incredible what they were capable of. But also the music tracks.

To anyone with the physical release: Could somebody give me the dates and places for the early 70s live performances?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: August 30, 2021, 02:15:11 PM »

Greetings all,
While waiting on my sets to arrive, I'm hoping that someone can confirm or deny claims that these sets contain different mixes between them.
I read somewhere back in June that a specific mix of this or that was exclusive to the 2CD set and not the 5 CD set itself, and vise versa. Does anyone else recall this tidbit/news in regards to them?

Tidal has both sets available for streaming:

- San Miguel is 14 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it fades out sooner.
- Susie Cincinnati has car engine noises at the beginning in the 2 CD set. These sounds are missing in the 5 CD set.
- I'm Going Your Way starts with 14 seconds of studio chatter in the 5 CD set. This is missing in the 2 CD set.
- Soulful Old Man Sunshine is 13 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it fades out sooner.
- All I Wanna Do (A Capella) is 16 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it fades out while they are still singing. In the 5 CD set it continues until they stop singing.
- (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again lasts 4:37 in the 2 CD set versus 6:50 in the 5 CD set.
- Behold The Night has a slightly shorter intro and a slightly shorter ending in the 2 CD set, it's 5 seconds shorter in total.
- All Of My Love/Ecology has a 30 second rehearsal at the beginning which is missing from the 2 CD set. Also, in the 5 CD set the "run run river run" section is twice as long. It's a 50 second difference in total.
- Awake begins with 30 seconds of studio chatter which are missing from the 2 CD set.
- Disney Girls (Live 1982) ends with Al saying "thank you, Bruce" in the 5 CD set. The track fades out before this in the 2 CD set.
- Disney Girls (Backing Vocals Excerpt) is 16 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it's missing half the track.

There may be more stuff that I missed.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: August 30, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »

Susie Cinc , Back home- 7/3/76- Anaheim
Disney Girls- Blossom Music Center  6/11/82
This Whole World - Groton, Ct 6/19/88
Riot In Cellblock #9- Big Sur  Festival 10/3/1970
Its About Time- Fillmore East 6/27/1971
Surfs Up- Chicago 8/15/73
Take Good Care of Your Feet, Add Some Music To Your Day-  NYC- 11/26/93
Student Demonstration Time- Carnegie Hall 11/23/72
Long Promised Road- Carnegie Hall 11/23/72
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: August 30, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »

Thanks for all your hard work, Mark.

The box set is truly incredible 🙌

FlowsOfFeeling
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: August 30, 2021, 02:51:30 PM »

Hot off the press, my best attempt at figuring out the lyrics for Dennis’s masterpiece Baby Baby.

Baby Baby
Tell me love is real
Baby Baby
Tell me love is true
Baby Baby
Tell me love is real

Shake it like a snake and I’ll give you a wink
Come on pretty baby won’t you do your thing
All I want to do with you is

Baby Baby
Tell me love is true
Baby Baby
Tell me love is true
Baby Baby
Tell me love is true

Baby Baby
Tell me love is true
Baby Baby
Tell me love is true
Baby baby
tell me love is true

Baby
I need you so
Baby baby yeah
Baby
I need you
Baby

My my my now
Come on pretty baby and shake your thing
Come on pretty baby I’ll give you a ring
All I want to do with you

Baby baby
Tell me love is real
Baby baby
Tell me love is true
Baby baby
Tell me love is true
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: August 30, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »

Anybody other than me freakin' lovin' the alt. God Only Knows lyrics?   LOL LOL LOL

"If you should ever leave us, we'd all have to move into Al and Lynda's bus..."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: August 30, 2021, 05:20:07 PM »

Greetings all,

Tidal has both sets available for streaming:

- San Miguel is 14 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it fades out sooner.
- Susie Cincinnati has car engine noises at the beginning in the 2 CD set. These sounds are missing in the 5 CD set.
- I'm Going Your Way starts with 14 seconds of studio chatter in the 5 CD set. This is missing in the 2 CD set.
- Soulful Old Man Sunshine is 13 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it fades out sooner.
- All I Wanna Do (A Capella) is 16 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it fades out while they are still singing. In the 5 CD set it continues until they stop singing.
- (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again lasts 4:37 in the 2 CD set versus 6:50 in the 5 CD set.
- Behold The Night has a slightly shorter intro and a slightly shorter ending in the 2 CD set, it's 5 seconds shorter in total.
- All Of My Love/Ecology has a 30 second rehearsal at the beginning which is missing from the 2 CD set. Also, in the 5 CD set the "run run river run" section is twice as long. It's a 50 second difference in total.
- Awake begins with 30 seconds of studio chatter which are missing from the 2 CD set.
- Disney Girls (Live 1982) ends with Al saying "thank you, Bruce" in the 5 CD set. The track fades out before this in the 2 CD set.
- Disney Girls (Backing Vocals Excerpt) is 16 seconds shorter in the 2 CD set, it's missing half the track.

There may be more stuff that I missed.

As much as I am an advocate for physical media continuing to exist, and I very much am, it's obvious that the space limitations of physical media came into play here which is unfortunate, but at least they have a longer versions available for streaming which most people easily have access to. It's nobody's fault; a disc in only hold so much content.

And in doing a cursory check I believe all of those lengthened tracks are that way as well on Spotify.
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: August 30, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »

Susie Cinc , Back home- 7/3/76- Anaheim
Disney Girls- Blossom Music Center  6/11/82
This Whole World - Groton, Ct 6/19/88
Riot In Cellblock #9- Big Sur  Festival 10/3/1970
Its About Time- Fillmore East 6/27/1971
Surfs Up- Chicago 8/15/73
Take Good Care of Your Feet, Add Some Music To Your Day-  NYC- 11/26/93
Student Demonstration Time- Carnegie Hall 11/23/72
Long Promised Road- Carnegie Hall 11/23/72

Thank you immensely for this information! But I must ask, if "Student Demonstration Time" was indeed recorded @ Carnegie Hall 11/23/1972, does that mean the tracklist on the back and liner notes are incorrect when they notate the track as (Live 1971)? If so that is quite a surprising error.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: August 30, 2021, 09:29:53 PM »

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-beach-boys-feel-flows-the-sunflower-and-surfs-up-sessions-1969-1971/

Pitchfork review.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: August 30, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »

Does anyone notice Mike's 'baby' on 'forever' are nearly absent or is it just me

echo_orbiter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: August 31, 2021, 01:02:59 AM »

The review is up on Pitchfork. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-beach-boys-feel-flows-the-sunflower-and-surfs-up-sessions-1969-1971/
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: August 31, 2021, 01:33:20 AM »

Anyone else while listening to Dennis' "run, run, river run" portion think, wow, the backing track is essentially the main vamp for "Heroes & Villains!" 

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: August 31, 2021, 04:44:33 AM »

Does anyone know offhand what the difference is between the book/liner notes in the 5CD set VS the 4LP set?
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: August 31, 2021, 06:22:11 AM »

Just curious...

Why are Marcella and You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone included?  Weren't they recorded in 1972?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: August 31, 2021, 06:42:44 AM »

Anyone else while listening to Dennis' "run, run, river run" portion think, wow, the backing track is essentially the main vamp for "Heroes & Villains!" 

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

And it turns into a proto River Song just a minute or two later!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx