gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:58:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 839105 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: August 28, 2021, 10:42:56 PM »

O also, is that really Brian taking the lead at the beginning of the alternate version of “Don’t Go Near The Water”? The part about how the water “killed” his dad. Weirdly crazily awesome.

Despite the fact that Al thinks that Brian sang that, it's Al singing it.

Sure sounds like a reedy voiced BW to me. Any particular reason you’re so certain about it being Al? His other vocals on the tune sound wildly different.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 10:44:24 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: August 28, 2021, 10:55:28 PM »

O also, is that really Brian taking the lead at the beginning of the alternate version of “Don’t Go Near The Water”? The part about how the water “killed” his dad. Weirdly crazily awesome.

Despite the fact that Al thinks that Brian sang that, it's Al singing it.

Sure sounds like a reedy voiced BW to me. Any particular reason you’re so certain about it being Al? His other vocals on the tune sound wildly different.

Well, I mean, other than it being his voice, I heard this version many years ago in a rougher form and before the track rolls Al is talking up until it's his time to come in.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: August 29, 2021, 12:46:34 AM »

This is a great Mark Linett and Alan Boyd interview

https://youtu.be/AlXZqM8XrCM

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: August 29, 2021, 01:23:41 AM »

Here's the commentary at Allmusic:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/feel-flows-the-sunflower-surfs-up-sessions-1969-1971-mw0003538937

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: August 29, 2021, 01:54:48 AM »

Sadly looks like my Amazon pre-order carries a date of late September or October. I could order new now and get it in two days, but at extra cost. Anybody having delays through their pre-order?

Get on to customer service and see if they'll honour the original price

To all UK based Fans who are yet to get the 5 CD Set , do try the rather wonderful shop (yes a real shop) Badlands In Cheltenham
They also have an on-line presence
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: August 29, 2021, 07:24:29 AM »

They confuse Dennis's All I Want To Do with Brian and Mike's All I Wanna Do.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 29, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 29, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »

Awesome songs both!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 29, 2021, 05:31:05 PM »

Hi all, I had a set pre-ordered through ImportCDs months ago, but got a message a few days ago that my order was cancelled. On the product page I see the set is now listed as 'Back Order'. Did anyone receive their set through them?

Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 29, 2021, 07:08:02 PM »

Hi all, I had a set pre-ordered through ImportCDs months ago, but got a message a few days ago that my order was cancelled. On the product page I see the set is now listed as 'Back Order'. Did anyone receive their set through them?

I'm in the US.  I ordered from ImportCDs, too, and sent them a message asking if they could tell me when I could expect it.  I just checked my email and I, too, received a reply that said they don't have copies of it and so it is on backorder -- which means it could take 45 days to get to me!

What the f**k did Capitol do to screw up the distribution of this set?  I wish Howie, Mark, or Alan would come here and try to explain to us why orders have been cancelled by Amazon in the UK and by ImportCDs in the US!  Even with all the delays they still couldn't get the product out!  This is sad.  Just so sad.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 29, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »

As mentioned above, I haven't received my box set yet, so I just started to listen to some of it on YouTube...

...and, oh my... My Solution!  I've always loved the one bootlegged version I've heard and was eagerly awaiting to hear a clean copy, and it did not disappoint.  In fact, it surpassed my expectations! 

"I... must've... had to... leave the... room...for a bit" always cracks me up!

But the biggest surprise was the new(?) bridge!  I don't remember ever hearing that before!  And, boy, that is some frightening music!  Almost terrifying.  Nearly gave me chills.  Genius!

I'm so glad to finally hear this song in great quality! 

Also, "Seasons In The Sun" is better than I remember their version being. 

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:12:59 PM by Dan Lega » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: August 29, 2021, 07:33:46 PM »

I went to my favorite record and cd store in Seattle today, they did have the two cd version on sale, but none of the variations, or the vinyl. I will say, though, our boys are much more generous on the two cd set, than Apple is with George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. The first cd of ATMP is just record one of the original album; the second cd is the second record of the original, plus Apple Jam. Seems very stingy to me. So let's praise our boys and their team for being generous this time around.
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 29, 2021, 07:38:36 PM »

I ordered all 4 sets because, as my wife likes to remind me, I have a problem when it comes to The Beach Boys.  I have been very excited about this release as it has been a favourite era of the band for me for a long time.  Only 3 of the sets showed up (the 5 cd set should be delivered in a week says amazon) which makes me sad as it was the one I wanted most but patience is good for the soul they say.  But loving what I have heard so far.  I haven't opened the vinyl sets and have been devouring the 2 cd set right now.  Damn.  So good.  An embarrassment of riches.  Some preliminary thoughts:

The bonus tracks alone on the 2 cd set are worth the wait, and worth their weight in gold.
These bonus tracks SOUND so good. I'm hearing so many fresh ingredients in these mixes.  Makes me appreciate each and every song even more.  Thanks Mark and Alan.
The guitar in this version of Soulful Old Man Sunshine is a revelation.  Who is playing that?  Must be a session guy?
Best version of Suzie Cincinnati ever.  It Rocks - HARD.
Love hearing more Brian vocals from this era.  So pure.  So much emotion. All the boys are singing like angels here.  No other band has singers this good.  Harmony arrangments this good.
As always the vocals only versions are beautiful revelations and are my favourite part of these sets.
Dennis material.  Wow.  And this was his greatest era for vocals which makes it even better.

And I haven't even finished the 2 cd set, because I keep hitting the back button to listen the the previous track multiple times.  These sets will keep me out of trouble for a long time.  So happy.

Big thanks to Desper for capturing so much of this magic so many years ago.  Big thanks to Howie, Alan and Mark for making this project a reality.  So many obstacles and delays but here we are.  You should feel proud.  Magnificent work here gents!  For so long this era has felt like a carefully guarded secret by many.  A hidden badge of honour among fans.  But this material deserves better.  Now is the time, and this team has done so much work to shine a light on it.  Thanks.

Biggest thanks to Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al, and Bruce who all shine here.  The sum is truly greater than the parts.  I love The Beach Boys.  This has been a tough time for so many, but this music has healing properties.  Gotta go listen some more!  Thanks!
WonderBill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: August 29, 2021, 07:49:17 PM »

Nice touch of placing "(Wouldn't It Be Nice) to Live Again" after "Til I Die" and "Surf's Up", thus restoring the intention of that song being last in the sequence of SU songs, which Denny was denied.

Well, sort of. I think Denny wanted his song to follow 'Til I Die. And so far, these two songs have been my favorite part of this set! Why in the world was the extended flute solo on To Live Again cut on the Made in California set? Was that a final decision that Denny originally made? It gives the song a whole new flair! It took me several times listening to take it all in. I also love the a capella coda on the alternate 'Til I Die! Gave me chills...

I'm already working on some unique mixes with these two songs as we speak. 90% of the BB music I have came from Scott G's blog in 2016... (and he is personally responsible for me becoming a superfan; thanks Scott!)

Scott's mix of 'Til I Die with the a capella coda faded out creates the definitive version in my catalog! I'm also probably going to use the Made in California mix of To Live Again up until the coda, as the guitar solo is more audible in that mix.

So far, the only thing that has disappointed me a bit is the new mixes of the album cut. I haven't heard them all, just a few samples, but so far they're sounding a bit lifeless, even if there is more bass added. Then again, Scott was always able to breathe new life into his mixes, and that's what I'm used to hearing.

Other highlights for me have been the new quality mixes of Seasons in the Sun, It's a New Day, and Awake (wow!)

Over and over,
The crow cries uncover the cornfield...
Over and over,
The thresher and hover the wheat field...
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: August 29, 2021, 07:54:02 PM »

Why are "Walkin'" and "Where Is She" on this set?  They're already on the one of the previous digital releases.  So why choose these for an encore presentation?  

Just to be clear, this is not a complaint, I just want to know what the reasoning behind it was.

They're both apparently new mixes, but I'm not hearing anything different in them.  Anyone hear something different?

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: August 29, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »

Sadly looks like my Amazon pre-order carries a date of late September or October. I could order new now and get it in two days, but at extra cost. Anybody having delays through their pre-order?

Get on to customer service and see if they'll honour the original price
Sadly they weren't of much help, and it'd be a good $40 difference to cancel and reorder. Guess I'll join y'all in the appreciation later!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 08:08:16 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: August 29, 2021, 08:22:05 PM »

I'm in the US.  I ordered from ImportCDs, too, and sent them a message asking if they could tell me when I could expect it.  I just checked my email and I, too, received a reply that said they don't have copies of it and so it is on backorder -- which means it could take 45 days to get to me!

What the f**k did Capitol do to screw up the distribution of this set?  I wish Howie, Mark, or Alan would come here and try to explain to us why orders have been cancelled by Amazon in the UK and by ImportCDs in the US!  Even with all the delays they still couldn't get the product out!  This is sad.  Just so sad.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

Ugh! Sorry to hear it... thanks for the reply though. Yeah, I guess I'll pursue it elsewhere.

Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: August 29, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »

been listening the last few days and I am loving it! Oh boy they NAILED the Susie Cincinnati mix this time, this is my favorite mix of it by far. Also "Sound of Free" sounds really great, love the harder guitar sounds towards the end. Has anyone else listened to the Marcella acapella like 50 times? Holy heck Mike Love's bass parts on there and the "uh-huh" harmonies on the second verse are amazing. I think I just noticed something... Is that Dennis singing the "one arm, ONE ARM over my shoulder, sandals.. that dance, DANCE at my feet ,etc, Her eyes, THOSE eyes etc"  part on the left speaker second chorus starting around around 1:36??  it sounds like him and it's amazing and I never realized it until now.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 08:35:56 PM by Craig Feldspar » Logged
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: August 29, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »

WOW!  WOW!  WOW!
Just listened to the track and backing vocals version of "My Solution"!
I love this just as much as the full version!   Sublime!  Exquisite!  A true masterpiece!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: August 29, 2021, 08:57:03 PM »

So nice to finally get the original "Loop De Loop Flip Flop Flyin' in an Airplane!"

I missed the sound of the plane buzzing the barn and the clucking of chickens, though.  Was that added by Alan in his remake/remix however many years ago it was?  I'd like to crib together a version that has this version plus the new spoken intro Alan added and the buzzing plane/clucking chickens effects.

"Loop De Loop" and "My Solution" were the two known things that I was really looking forward to in this set.  So glad to finally get them officially!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:10:13 PM by Dan Lega » Logged
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: August 29, 2021, 09:21:15 PM »

I know this is mundane and unimportant but my amazon.ca order for the 5CD finally shipped - so instead of Sept 14, I should get it next weekend. I only say this for the benefit of those who are in a similar boat.

To get back to the music, I have to once again praise Mike for his anchoring bass harmonies, like on the Disney Girls a cappella snippet. I recall reading Stephen Desper's Recording the Beach Boys and him mentioning Mike working the ribbon mic with his limited range/technique; he just nails it.

Watch out for snakes!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 29, 2021, 11:09:38 PM »

ImportCDs sent me a shipping notification on 8/25 the USPS tracker says it should arrive on 9/3. I placed my original order on 6/8.

My LP set is supposed to arrive on 9/2.

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: August 30, 2021, 03:56:32 AM »

The mixing on this set is so damn good, I’m finding a new favourite with every listen.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:58:14 AM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: August 30, 2021, 05:31:42 AM »

Still waiting mine 4LP and 5CD copies to arrive, argh! Even though Beach Boys has a very tiny fanbase in my country, it seems all the versions except the 2 CD one, are selling very well. The big sets at the moment are almost sold out, but more should arrive this week with my copies. I hope the sells have been good in the States as well, so we could get the 72-73 era as a physical set eventually.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 05:35:13 AM by RiC » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4024 on: August 30, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »

Listened to this over the weekend as much as I could.

Amazing. I'm proud of Howie, Mark, and Alan for getting this thing out.

And, given the push last year to let the powers-that-be and the band know how much we wanted this, I'm proud of the fans for that push.

The set is overload, I don't even know how to "review" it as such. The vocal tracks on this stuff are beyond mind-blowing. You think it can't get more epic than the vocals-only Pet Sounds and Smile tracks, but here it is. So much intricate, rich vocal work, truly beyond what one can even imagine humans can accomplish. And Howie is right to hone in on Mike's bass vocals on some of these tracks. Maybe the best work, maybe the best *thing* Mike has ever done in his career.

Those little moments when some song you like is remixed and you hear a new little doodad or note you hadn't heard before? The instrumental and vocal tracks on this set have about TEN THOUSAND moments like that.

The way they are able to *still* continue to peel back layers of "This Whole World" to reveal new things is beyond impressive.

This Dennis stuff, I don't even have words. You have to believe all of these guys simply *forgot* about this material, including Dennis, as the years went on. And Howie's liner notes do a great job of highlighting how truly bizarre it was that the band was going out on tour and playing the hits in cheezy outfits, and then just nonchalantly coming back to the studio and cutting *jaw-dropping, progressive, mature* material. And doing it seemingly free of ego. The only downside was a contemporary seeming unawareness of how amazing the work they were doing was.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx