gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841792 times)
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: August 19, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »

That Feel Flows track and vocals is exquisite!   Shocked
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3801 on: August 19, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »

I wonder if we'll get any new interviews with the band together for this release

If there are any group interviews, Mike and Bruce need to get their matching Robert Graham striped shirts out of storage and have them cleaned and pressed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: August 19, 2021, 07:38:26 PM »

I wonder if we'll get any new interviews with the band together for this release

If there are any group interviews, Mike and Bruce need to get their matching Robert Graham striped shirts out of storage and have them cleaned and pressed.

😂😂

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: August 19, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »

I know!!!

I am so excited

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: August 20, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »

SAN MIGUEL.

Holy hell awwwesome

Thank the music gods above, the band, and Howie, Mark, and Alan.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:44:55 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: August 20, 2021, 12:47:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0-tjCKf38&t=24s
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: August 20, 2021, 03:50:17 AM »

It certainly is! The end is insanely great.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: August 20, 2021, 07:27:03 AM »

Based on the snippets I have heard, there is no doubt in my mind that this set will smash a lot of preconceptions held towards the Beach Boys as being a "surf group".

I think this will do more to open them up to a new audience than the Smile Sessions ever did. And for those who know how much Smile means to me, that is a HUGE revelation.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: August 20, 2021, 07:27:31 AM »

Imo San Miguel is one of the unreleased greats. Superb energy, rocking guitar solo, great arrangment and sublime harmonies. How the hell didn't this make the cut on Sunflower or Surf's Up Huh

Replace Tears in the Morning (sorry Bruce) and start side B with San Miguel = near perfect album!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:43:25 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: August 20, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »

I have read both the Record Collector (#521) and the Shindig! (#118) cover stories. The RC one must be one of the best articles written lately about the group. The Dennis piece on Shindig! was largely built for archive quotes, but the Feel Flows era on Record Collector is well thought and has exclusive quotes from all the surviving bandmates (most interesting is Al Jardine talking about All This is That or Bruce Johnston on 'Til I Die -shame that they used "Brian"'s words from the WIBN book about that song) although the real attraction are the insights of Alan Boyd and Mark Linett (not a fan of the sonics on Smiley Smile).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:43:51 AM by Pablo. » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: August 20, 2021, 08:22:36 AM »

I have read both the Record Collector (#521) and the Shindig! (#118) cover stories. The RC one must be one of the best articles written lately about the group. The Dennis piece on Shindig! was largely built for archive quotes, but the Feel Flows era on Record Collector is well thought and has exclusive quotes from all the surviving bandmates (most interesting is Al Jardine talking about All This is That or Bruce Johnston on 'Til I Die -shame that they used "Brian"'s words from the WIBN book about that song) although the real attraction are the insights of Alan Boyd and Mark Linett (not a fan of the sonics on Smiley Smile).

Thanks for the positive comments. I think you should check out the stereo mix of Smiley Smile that we did several years ago and perhaps  revaluate the sound of the record. What we also discovered was the mono album had one if not two additional generations  of copies used to create fades and edits which given the production , greatly lowered the quality of the mono mix

Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 20, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »

Absolutely jammin' to San Miguel  Grin I can't contain my excitement for Friday!!
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 20, 2021, 10:50:22 AM »

Imo San Miguel is one of the unreleased greats. Superb energy, rocking guitar solo, great arrangment and sublime harmonies. How the hell didn't this make the cut on Sunflower or Surf's Up Huh

Jack Rieley's perspective on the track selection for Surf's Up, including the exclusion of San Miguel, is related in the posts from "Beach Head" on this page:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=9651.0

Rieley at first appears to take "credit" for the decision on the grounds that it was "just a hook, not a song" -- whatever the hell that means -- before claiming the decision was "made by Dennis Wilson, with Brian Wilson and Carl Wilson and I supporting him". I personally find it a bit hard to believe that Dennis would have preferred having nothing at all on Surf's Up to San Miguel, but who knows.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 20, 2021, 10:59:32 AM »

Also quite a vocal reveal on Feel Flow. I think it sounds like Brian laying down a double-tracked sustained vocal during the instrumental/sax segment. Never picked up on that before!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 20, 2021, 12:43:12 PM »

Thanks for the positive comments. I think you should check out the stereo mix of Smiley Smile that we did several years ago and perhaps  revaluate the sound of the record. What we also discovered was the mono album had one if not two additional generations  of copies used to create fades and edits which given the production , greatly lowered the quality of the mono mix

I'm familiar with the stereo Smiley Smile you did. I love the album in its own twisted way, anyway. Although the original is quite lo-fi, by "not a fan of the sonics on Smiley Smile" I meant that you said that you did not like the sound of it, technically speaking. That was another thing I liked about the piece: hearing from you and Alan Boyd's experiences as fans.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:59:38 PM by Pablo. » Logged
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 20, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »

So somewhere along the lines with all of the stuff about this set being moved up for later release I got it in my head that is was due for a late September release. Today I say it was due on Friday and my mind went nuts, I'm so looking forward for this, and instead of having to wait a whole month, as I previously though, it's only one week, AWESOME! Grin
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 20, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »

Thanks for the positive comments. I think you should check out the stereo mix of Smiley Smile that we did several years ago and perhaps  revaluate the sound of the record. What we also discovered was the mono album had one if not two additional generations  of copies used to create fades and edits which given the production , greatly lowered the quality of the mono mix

I'm familiar with the stereo Smiley Smile you did. I love the album in its own twisted way, anyway. Although the original is quite lo-fi, by "not a fan of the sonics on Smiley Smile" I meant that you said that you did not like the sound of it, technically speaking. That was another thing I liked about the piece: hearing from you and Alan Boyd's experiences as fans.

I was referring to the mono master used for the original release, not the recording
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 20, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »

Understood.
RealBriefcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 20, 2021, 02:49:33 PM »

Holy smokes, that new San Miguel mix is great! Especially enjoy how prominent the falsetto vocals on the coda are now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:50:37 PM by RealBriefcase » Logged
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 20, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »

Based on the snippets I have heard, there is no doubt in my mind that this set will smash a lot of preconceptions held towards the Beach Boys as being a "surf group".

I think this will do more to open them up to a new audience than the Smile Sessions ever did. And for those who know how much Smile means to me, that is a HUGE revelation.

Absolutely!

If they get enough airplay - and if they're able to manufacture/produce enough copies......  😔😞🎼🎹🥁🎸
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 20, 2021, 08:17:58 PM »

That "Feel Flows" track with backing vox is just astounding!

BTW, what happened to the Big Sur single on YouTube? I went to see it earlier tonight and it had been pulled.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:19:01 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 20, 2021, 09:49:37 PM »

BTW, what happened to the Big Sur single on YouTube? I went to see it earlier tonight and it had been pulled.
It's still there for me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 20, 2021, 09:50:10 PM »

It's still there for me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 21, 2021, 05:54:52 AM »

It's missing from YouTube Music for me. There's a hole in my BB playlist where it goes, but I'll just fill it in on Friday. Grin
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 21, 2021, 06:56:25 AM »

Bit late to the party (been trying to limit computer use, I suffered a concussion 8 days ago) but these are both amazing as others have said. I think Feel Flows almost works better without the flute to be honest.

Didn't realize the set is out Friday. Thought it was the 31st.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx