gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:23:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841532 times)
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: August 16, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »

Dennis was so productive during these years yet he's hardly present on Surf's Up and Holland. It's nothing short of a real shame Undecided

He had two songs on Holland, just like Brian and Alan, while everyone else had only one song on that album, so I don't feel like his work was underreprsented here. "Only with You" is a Dennis song that really works for me, much more subtle than something like "Make It Good".

I think Holland seems like there is no Dennis since he does not sing the leads on his songs. I really like all of Holland; I'm trying to pick out Dennis voice on that album. Is he doing backup vocals on Steamboat and Only With You? I actually can't tell.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: August 16, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »

Dennis was so productive during these years yet he's hardly present on Surf's Up and Holland. It's nothing short of a real shame Undecided

He had two songs on Holland, just like Brian and Alan, while everyone else had only one song on that album, so I don't feel like his work was underreprsented here. "Only with You" is a Dennis song that really works for me, much more subtle than something like "Make It Good".

I think Holland seems like there is no Dennis since he does not sing the leads on his songs. I really like all of Holland; I'm trying to pick out Dennis voice on that album. Is he doing backup vocals on Steamboat and Only With You? I actually can't tell.

Dennis is the bass vocal on steamboat and he sings the second half of the song the but I think he’s doubled by Carl for that.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: August 16, 2021, 10:06:10 PM »

Mike won't like this one - long article on Dennis and half page review of Feel Flows set.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:11:03 PM by thetojo » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: August 16, 2021, 11:57:47 PM »

Dennis is the bass vocal on steamboat and he sings the second half of the song the but I think he’s doubled by Carl for that.

I can definitely hear his voice on "Steamboat". Maybe I'm wrong but I think he's present in the group vocals on "Big Sur" too.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: August 17, 2021, 02:23:52 PM »

Podcast sheds some interesting light on what MIGHT have been one reason for the delay/halt in the project.  Alan mentions how they went through several iterations of the set in terms of sequencing the tracks, and the final track sequencing selection came about after input from “the group.”  The final selection is similar to what they did with Made in California, and we know who was behind that.  So perhaps - this is all speculation of course - the initial sequence of the albums with bonus tracks following including a capella, instrumental mixes, finished outtake songs and unfinished demos and Dennis tracks did not meet with a certain member’s approval, and the live versions and finished outtakes following the albums, with the demos, unfinished Dennis tracks and outtake songs on the fifth disc was just what this follicularly challenged member wanted to sign off on the set.

Yeah.. Damn it Stamos!!

HAHAHAHA! I met Stamos up close once in a behind-the-scenes band context, and what really stuck with me were his perfect teeth, and his shark-like expression as he quickly examined me intently and appraisingly, trying to input the salient data points into his internal hard drive to determine if and how I fit into the overall picture and (probably just my vivid imagination) how I could possibly be of use to him in the future. Follicly challenged, indeed (I know he meant someone else.)

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: August 17, 2021, 03:45:49 PM »

My box set delayed again..  ahh at least its not cancelled.. yet..

Genuinely will be shocked if it turns up

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: August 17, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »

Mark Linett interview will debut tonight on The Beach Boys talk show.

Should be interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzz_oUzeijM

Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: August 17, 2021, 11:49:35 PM »

Shady, I've decided to bus the many miles to my nearest HMV next Friday rather than rely on Amazon or their competitors. This is of course after phoning them the day before to check they have it in stock!

The nice thing is, that is reminiscent of how I obtained the GV set back in '93, through phone calls and lengthy bus travel.

I can then peruse the literature on the return journey to really build the anticipation.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: August 18, 2021, 01:26:39 AM »

Mike won't like this one - long article on Dennis and half page review of Feel Flows set.

This looks excellent, the first major article ever on Dennis's early work. I hope I can catch it on the newsstands, I wasn't able to find the Howie Edelson Goldmine issue
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:07:19 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: August 18, 2021, 03:34:26 AM »

I've given up trying to buy the 5CD so have ordered the 2CD for Ł14.99. When Made In California came out I waited a few months, Sainsbury's online sold off their entertainment stock and I got mine half price. Maybe there'll be a repeat of that, meantime UK stock seems to have all gone to reviewers!
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: August 18, 2021, 03:45:00 AM »

I'm going to be furious if HMV don't have a copy.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: August 18, 2021, 06:30:51 AM »

I found the Goldmine issue, am checking daily for the Record Collector issue, and just found the current Shin Dig issue with the 5th Dimension so I at least know my bookstore carrys it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: August 18, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »

I can definitely hear his voice on "Steamboat". Maybe I'm wrong but I think he's present in the group vocals on "Big Sur" too.

Yes I'm quite sure it's Dennis and Carl doing the "Don't worry Mr Fulton, we'll keep your steamboat going". Not sure if the bass scat singing his Dennis or Mike. I can't really hear Al in the mix either so it could be Dennis and Carl did all the vocals on that one. Carl is way more prominent though. The harmonies are too muddy to really hear the individual voices.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: August 18, 2021, 08:46:35 PM »

Yeah who is doing the bass scat vocal? I always go back and forth. I lean toward it being Dennis … but he never sounded like that again.  It sounds unique for Mike as well.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: August 19, 2021, 12:18:38 AM »

I feel pretty sure that it's Dennis, and can hear a continuity between it and his later bass vocals (the end of River Song and Shortenin' Bread being the two that spring to mind), allowing for his progressing raspiness.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: August 19, 2021, 04:30:15 AM »

Dennis indeed, with the "Mr. Fulton" vocals (I think) being himself, Ricky and Carl.

Dennis is there in the brief Only With You backing vocals. I wanna say the first half of The Trader and California too, but that's harder to judge through only the current mixes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:34:38 AM by WillJC » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: August 19, 2021, 08:16:42 AM »

As usual, Friday brings a few new tasters from the boxed set, which you can access now on Spotify if you're in New Zealand/east coast of Australia, or linked there through a VPN. Otherwise they will be there when the clock strikes midnight in your time zone. (ETA: Actually, it may just be available everywhere - I'm able to get it without the VPN in my pre-midnight time zone right now).

One of these is the most exciting so far IMO, namely the remix of San Miguel we heard a glimpse of in that video with Mark Linnell (I think it was) a year or so ago. It's awesome -- miles more powerful than the previously released mix. Among other things, there is a bit of harmony vocal that wasn't on the previous version in the bit between the last chorus and the fadeout section.

The other is Feel Flows - Track & Backing Vocals, which is also great. It gives us a chance to hear the backing vocals unobscured by either the lead vocal or the Leslie effect (or whatever it was) that was applied on the released version. For the first time, you can really hear what's being sung on the chorus ("white puff glistening shadowy glow"), especially when it continues playing after the instrumental track fades out. Also, the instrumental section has just the saxophone with no flute.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:26:41 AM by William Bowe » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3792 on: August 19, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »

I feel pretty sure that it's Dennis, and can hear a continuity between it and his later bass vocals (the end of River Song and Shortenin' Bread being the two that spring to mind), allowing for his progressing raspiness.

I'm not sure about it being Dennis. Could be, definitely not Mike imo. Kinda reminds me of the bass vocal on "Pacific Ocean Blues", but that was Greg Jacbson, I think.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3793 on: August 19, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:53:17 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: August 19, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »

I found the Goldmine issue, am checking daily for the Record Collector issue, and just found the current Shin Dig issue with the 5th Dimension so I at least know my bookstore carrys it.

Which Record Collector issue is this that you speak of?

Daly, Chicago 1968
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: August 19, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »

I think it's August, maybe September. Google it just to be sure, but it's not out here in NJ yet.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »

As usual, Friday brings a few new tasters from the boxed set, which you can access now on Spotify if you're in New Zealand/east coast of Australia, or linked there through a VPN. Otherwise they will be there when the clock strikes midnight in your time zone. (ETA: Actually, it may just be available everywhere - I'm able to get it without the VPN in my pre-midnight time zone right now).

One of these is the most exciting so far IMO, namely the remix of San Miguel we heard a glimpse of in that video with Mark Linnell (I think it was) a year or so ago. It's awesome -- miles more powerful than the previously released mix. Among other things, there is a bit of harmony vocal that wasn't on the previous version in the bit between the last chorus and the fadeout section.

The other is Feel Flows - Track & Backing Vocals, which is also great. It gives us a chance to hear the backing vocals unobscured by either the lead vocal or the Leslie effect (or whatever it was) that was applied on the released version. For the first time, you can really hear what's being sung on the chorus ("white puff glistening shadowy glow"), especially when it continues playing after the instrumental track fades out. Also, the instrumental section has just the saxophone with no flute.

Those both sound superb. I'm a little disappointed, probably like most of us here I had always thought it was "white HOT glistening shadowy FLOW" which also fits in better with the supposed (graphic content alert) ejaculation theme, or co-theme, of the tune. "Puff" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, unless you're talking about dragons, marshmallows or Rice Krispies.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:14:17 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: August 19, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »

I think it's August, maybe September. Google it just to be sure, but it's not out here in NJ yet.

Just a general Feel Flows article?

Daly, Chicago 1968
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: August 19, 2021, 11:51:05 AM »

Promotion starting!

https://youtu.be/HGhvYTG-Nao
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: August 19, 2021, 06:22:48 PM »

I wonder if we'll get any new interviews with the band together for this release

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx