gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:27:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841610 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3750 on: August 13, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »

That teaser of 'behold the night" is just beautiful
Where is this teaser that you speak of?

David Beards latest "good vibrations" podcast

Around 40 or 42 minutes in

Wow wow wow. Thank you for sharing that. Just wow.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: August 13, 2021, 04:24:36 AM »

Wow thanks for sharing that tip on behold the night. That was amazing
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: August 13, 2021, 07:44:45 AM »

As an avowed never-use-Amazon-er, I've always found SpeedyHen to be super-reliable, and almost as cheap. Looks as if they pay their tax bill too! They have the set available for pre-order at under £85 right now, with free UK shipping. Though I'm making no promises.

Ironically, the vast majority of Speedy Hen's business is actually conducted through Amazon, where they are one of the larger-volume third-party media sellers -- alongside behemoths like Chalky's, Rarewaves, MovieMars, ImportCDs, and Dodax/Nagiry. (Dodax and Nagiry appear to be the same company as they always have the identical prices and inventory, and ship out of the same address in Bern, Switzerland.)
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: August 13, 2021, 07:48:30 AM »

Behold the Night does indeed sound lovely, albeit in short snippet from.

I love the interplay between the synth and the harpsichord, with Dennis's youthful, double tracked vocal floating over the top.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: August 13, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »

Where is this teaser that you speak of?

David Beards latest "good vibrations" podcast

Around 40 or 42 minutes in

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly90aGViZWFjaGJveXMucG9kYmVhbi5jb20vZmVlZC54bWw/episode/dGhlYmVhY2hib3lzLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tLzgyNTdhOTk1LWUxODctM2MxNy04N2VlLTg2MGI1NTYzNzc0NA

43:50

Wooooooooooow, soooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: August 13, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »

THAT is incredible. I cannot wait to hear more from this set!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: August 13, 2021, 02:08:51 PM »

Wow! Dennis was on a whole other level at this time.
waketheworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: August 13, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »

I thought I had heard ever song Dennis ever recorded, but I never heard that.  Sounds quite beautiful.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: August 13, 2021, 08:44:47 PM »

Some other URLs for the podcast:

Podbean
https://thebeachboys.podbean.com/e/good-vibrations-episode-39-%e2%80%94-feel-flows-box-set-discussion-with-alan-boyd-1628648504/

Apple
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/good-vibrations-a-beach-boys-program/id1313106797?i=1000531662477
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3759 on: August 14, 2021, 01:22:25 AM »

That snippet reminds me of "Tug of Love". Looking forward to hearing the whole song

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: August 14, 2021, 03:12:40 AM »

Dennis was so productive during these years yet he's hardly present on Surf's Up and Holland. It's nothing short of a real shame Undecided
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 03:13:27 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: August 14, 2021, 03:39:52 AM »

Wow thanks for sharing that tip on behold the night. That was amazing

Spine-tinglingly terrific! No wonder certain other band members were supposedly envious of his skilllz at around that time.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: August 14, 2021, 06:04:28 AM »

Dennis was so productive during these years yet he's hardly present on Surf's Up and Holland. It's nothing short of a real shame Undecided

Steamboat is one of my all time favorite beach boys songs though.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: August 14, 2021, 07:10:13 AM »

I love that song dearly. I think beach boys history would be a lot different (in a good way) had Dennis gotten his songs on Surf’s Up - what a phenomenally powerful album it could have been.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: August 14, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »

I love that song dearly. I think beach boys history would be a lot different (in a good way) had Dennis gotten his songs on Surf’s Up - what a phenomenally powerful album it could have been.

I guess when we hear the long version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" we might have a better perspective on the track sequencing debate that occurred at the time, but having dropped the song from Surf's Up it has always floored me that it didn't come up for consideration for Carl & The Passions. I can see that it's a new band by then, and a different project, but that song was screaming out to be released.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: August 14, 2021, 04:39:34 PM »

This is how the band always did things, once Brian wasn’t running the show.  They’d have 20 songs to pick from for an album. Seven would be really tremendous. Seven would be ok. Six would be fairly bad.  The album would include 3 from group A, 5 from group B and 4 from group C. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3766 on: August 14, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »

I guess when we hear the long version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" we might have a better perspective on the track sequencing debate that occurred at the time, but having dropped the song from Surf's Up it has always floored me that it didn't come up for consideration for Carl & The Passions. I can see that it's a new band by then, and a different project, but that song was screaming out to be released.

Honestly I think it might have fit even better on So Tough

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: August 14, 2021, 06:26:44 PM »

Nice extra Brian falsetto on the 'Til I Die tag.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: August 14, 2021, 09:13:38 PM »

Podcast sheds some interesting light on what MIGHT have been one reason for the delay/halt in the project.  Alan mentions how they went through several iterations of the set in terms of sequencing the tracks, and the final track sequencing selection came about after input from “the group.”  The final selection is similar to what they did with Made in California, and we know who was behind that.  So perhaps - this is all speculation of course - the initial sequence of the albums with bonus tracks following including a capella, instrumental mixes, finished outtake songs and unfinished demos and Dennis tracks did not meet with a certain member’s approval, and the live versions and finished outtakes following the albums, with the demos, unfinished Dennis tracks and outtake songs on the fifth disc was just what this follicularly challenged member wanted to sign off on the set.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: August 15, 2021, 05:43:21 AM »

Podcast sheds some interesting light on what MIGHT have been one reason for the delay/halt in the project.  Alan mentions how they went through several iterations of the set in terms of sequencing the tracks, and the final track sequencing selection came about after input from “the group.”  The final selection is similar to what they did with Made in California, and we know who was behind that.  So perhaps - this is all speculation of course - the initial sequence of the albums with bonus tracks following including a capella, instrumental mixes, finished outtake songs and unfinished demos and Dennis tracks did not meet with a certain member’s approval, and the live versions and finished outtakes following the albums, with the demos, unfinished Dennis tracks and outtake songs on the fifth disc was just what this follicularly challenged member wanted to sign off on the set.

Yeah.. Damn it Stamos!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: August 15, 2021, 05:54:10 AM »

Well as we all know Mike has always been a stickler for song sequencing in concert so it could well be.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: August 15, 2021, 07:33:07 AM »

This is how the band always did things, once Brian wasn’t running the show.  They’d have 20 songs to pick from for an album. Seven would be really tremendous. Seven would be ok. Six would be fairly bad.  The album would include 3 from group A, 5 from group B and 4 from group C. 

That's a really great way to explain it! And yet, somewhat in their defense, the seven tremendous tracks would sound like they came from two or three or four completely different bands. (Though in your hypothetical, the 12 tracks that actually were chosen likely have the same problem.)  LOL  And we probably won't agree even amongst ourselves which A-list tracks should have made the cut.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3772 on: August 16, 2021, 06:17:18 AM »

There was undoubtedly plenty of planning and back-and-forth regarding sequencing, etc.

But issues regarding track selection or sequencing of tracks was *not* the reason behind that stall/delay that required fans to rally and lobby for the set's release last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: August 16, 2021, 08:12:33 AM »

He had two songs on Holland, just like Brian and Alan, while everyone else had only one song on that album, so I don't feel like his work was underreprsented here. "Only with You" is a Dennis song that really works for me, much more subtle than something like "Make It Good".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: August 16, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »

I love "Only With You" -- another DW song that makes a perfect wedding song like "Forever"!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx