gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:20:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841728 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3675 on: July 31, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »

The track at the end is not a re-recording, it's just what was on the tape after the master cuts off to go a capella.  There's a big drum fill without any other instruments (thus the opportunity for Bruce to reharmonize here) and then I think they actually play another verse, but I might be misremembering that part.

I see, very interesting!

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but how does that explain the G / Cm / F progression at 1:29? Is the instrumental here a different take from the original (or spliced in from a different section in the instrumental take)?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: July 31, 2021, 10:54:14 AM »

Pretty wild how they even accomplished making this ending. They must've had to go into the multi's and re-record a lot of the instruments to follow the new chords.

Sorry if it's been spoken about already, but Mr. Desper, if you're reading this, do you remember recording this bit? It seems like a lot of effort went into matching the original sounds.

The track at the end is not a re-recording, it's just what was on the tape after the master cuts off to go a capella.  There's a big drum fill without any other instruments (thus the opportunity for Bruce to reharmonize here) and then I think they actually play another verse, but I might be misremembering that part.

Yes and no. The track as recorded went into a drum fill and continued through another cycle and a half of the whole progression before falling apart, but that's not what was used here. They copied the tape, kept the drums and lead guitar, wiped other instruments, and added new bass and glockenspiel onto that second bridge/chorus section out.

The alternate lead vocal tracks were on the original tape, copied with the rest. I guess Mark used them in this mix to make it more of a full 'alternate' package.

There's apparently no Brian here - seems to just be Bruce (times three), Carl (times two) and Mike stacked on six parts (unless one of those is actually Al). Bruce has his arranging fingerprints all over this.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:58:47 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: July 31, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »

Thanks to Joshilyn and SM for their insights. Bruce, eh? Explains why it comes off that little bit too gooey.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: August 01, 2021, 12:32:42 AM »

Is that ending to "This whole World", which I haven't heard yet, the same they played on that one commercial?

I believe so, this is the alternate tag described

That's cool. Also nice that we can now connect these two things 'officially'.

The released "This whole World"'s ending is perfect and one of the most powerful moments in the Beach Boys' canon imo. It gives the song something to go out on. The alternate ending - after one listen - is very nice but doesn't round up the song. It sounds like an unfinished thing. It was definitely the right decision to use the acapella tag.

I'm not saying that this ending is superior to the official one by any means, not even close. Just that it is interesting and excellent in its own right.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3679 on: August 01, 2021, 01:42:24 AM »

Is that ending to "This whole World", which I haven't heard yet, the same they played on that one commercial?

The released "This whole World"'s ending is perfect and one of the most powerful moments in the Beach Boys' canon imo. It gives the song something to go out on. The alternate ending - after one listen - is very nice but doesn't round up the song. It sounds like an unfinished thing. It was definitely the right decision to use the acapella tag.

I'm not saying that this ending is superior to the official one by any means, not even close. Just that it is interesting and excellent in its own right.

I didn't mean to suggest that you was saying this. Just wanted to add the thoughts that came to my mind when listening to the song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: August 02, 2021, 03:46:26 AM »

Do you guys think that the alternate version of add some music is the one with the original lyrics?
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: August 02, 2021, 04:25:00 AM »

Do you guys think that the alternate version of add some music is the one with the original lyrics?

I believe it was one of 30 second snippets last year. It does have the original lyrics

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: August 02, 2021, 05:21:49 AM »

I believe it was one of 30 second snippets last year. It does have the original lyrics
Oh interesting, I didn't listen to the snippets as it tend to ruin the first listening experiences for me so I missed out on all of that haha. I'm very much looking forward to hearing how it sounds with the original lyrics
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: August 02, 2021, 06:05:41 AM »

Oh interesting, I didn't listen to the snippets as it tend to ruin the first listening experiences for me so I missed out on all of that haha. I'm very much looking forward to hearing how it sounds with the original lyrics

Judging by the snippet, it'll be exactly the same mixing as the version that has gone around for the past 15 odd years (hard panned lead vocal and all). But it'll at least be in high quality finally Smiley

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: August 02, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »

Interestingly, this alternate ending is one of the only BB songs I can think of that has a true ending and doesn't fade out.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: August 03, 2021, 01:06:48 AM »

I didn't mean to suggest that you was saying this. Just wanted to add the thoughts that came to my mind when listening to the song.

I'm glad that's settled, now we'll have world peace. Razz

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: August 03, 2021, 06:14:11 AM »

Interestingly, this alternate ending is one of the only BB songs I can think of that has a true ending and doesn't fade out.

I can think of loads. The discussion got me thinking about fadeouts though, and some googling turned up the following article which happens to mention Caroline No.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/09/the-fade-out-in-pop-music-why-dont-modern-pop-songs-end-by-slowly-reducing-in-volume.html
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: August 03, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »

I can think of loads. The discussion got me thinking about fadeouts though, and some googling turned up the following article which happens to mention Caroline No.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/09/the-fade-out-in-pop-music-why-dont-modern-pop-songs-end-by-slowly-reducing-in-volume.html

Great article but the knee-jerk, reactionary pedant in me must point out the error in this statement:

Quote from: The above article
or the bass flutes that take unexpected prominence at the end of “Caroline, No.

It's actually one concert C flute, two alto flutes, and one bass flute.... 
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »

As Carl once said, they put a lot of work into their tags
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: August 03, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »

Anybody know why wouldn't it be nice to live again aren't on the boxset?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: August 03, 2021, 01:17:17 PM »

It is on the boxed set.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:18:11 PM by Joshilyn Hoisington » Logged
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: August 03, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »

It is on the boxed set.
I must be blind haha. I checked again after your answer and there it was on cd4. That's one of the songs I look forward to the most with the new mix
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: August 04, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »

Cancelled by 2cd from amazon .. going to do it the old fashioned way... Tower Records

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: August 05, 2021, 07:01:23 AM »

So apparently no one wants to talk about the other track that just got released. I have a few questions though about Surf's Up - A Cappella.

Was the entire vocal track for the first movement recorded in 1971? Who, if anyone, sings on it apart from Carl? And where exactly did "bygone, bygone" come from? Does it appear on anything that was recorded in 1966/67? Could it possibly have been an idea someone came up with in 1971, and if so who?
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: August 05, 2021, 07:23:35 AM »

Al is on the tag, A Childrens Song, and that tag is AWESOME! I think the bygone bygone, sounds like it could be a female....maybe Marilyn Wilson? Always wondered who that was singing it too.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: August 05, 2021, 07:48:45 AM »

All of the vocals in the first half of the song were recorded in 1971.

'Bygone' is Carl and Carl doubling himself with a whisper; unclear who invented the part.

'Domino' harmonies are Bruce and Carl.

'Are you sleeping' harmony is Brian.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: August 05, 2021, 08:56:44 AM »

Thanks, SM. One of those "domino" harmony vocals (Carl's or Bruce's?) could have shattered a window.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3697 on: August 05, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »

So apparently no one wants to talk about the other track that just got released. I have a few questions though about Surf's Up - A Cappella.

Was the entire vocal track for the first movement recorded in 1971? Who, if anyone, sings on it apart from Carl? And where exactly did "bygone, bygone" come from? Does it appear on anything that was recorded in 1966/67? Could it possibly have been an idea someone came up with in 1971, and if so who?

Possibly fewer are talking about it because the recording data on the song has been known for a long time. Plus, a vocals-only track on this song did leak like 15+ years ago.

Not saying it's not worth talking about; it's one of the most amazing songs of their career, and this is one of the most impressive vocals one could possibly isolate.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »

Another track up on Spotify: Slip On Through - Alternate 1969 Mix With Session Intro. Nothing too amazing - basically the Sunflower version with fewer overdubs and a false start take at the beginning.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: August 05, 2021, 06:27:18 PM »

So cool to hear Brian's inimitable detuned piano still in use buried in this mix of Slip On Through!   Cool Guy
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx