gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:44:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841648 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3625 on: July 06, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »

Although not a recent interview, this one fits regarding "Feel Flows" as Brian talks about some music from that era.

Brian Wilson Remembers: An In-Depth Interview with the Beach Boys’ Resident Genius

https://bestclassicbands.com/brian-wilson-interview-kubernik-7-3-21/?fbclid=IwAR0qaq5mZttvtAiSB98Al-TeQS09EcqIfp8idazTuXLSVvwMX2nQdiRBkSw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: July 08, 2021, 02:17:08 AM »

Shame with the delay as the group's music is usually more popular in summertime. Hopefully won't affect sales too much!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3627 on: July 09, 2021, 08:07:04 AM »

Shame with the delay as the group's music is usually more popular in summertime. Hopefully won't affect sales too much!

I wonder how much effect the summer theme would have on a set like this anyway, considering the target audiences who would buy the deluxe editions of the set are more invested and longer-term fans than those who don't know the band's background history. The music they were making in 1970-71 had nothing to do with their earlier "fun in the sun" vibes, in fact they were trying to reinvent themselves and be more progressive in their music and live shows more than trying to connect with the summertime vibe crowd. It would be nice to get as many new listeners, but you have to wonder how many fans who may own one or two of the greatest hits comps and that's it are going to go all out for the deluxe editions of this or any other set.

When all this was announced I thought it would be a holiday season release around November to get the gift-buying and "Prime Day" type of crowds into it too, but I guess the summer vibe does carry over into those decisions based on the band's name alone.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: July 09, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »

I wonder how much effect the summer theme would have on a set like this anyway, considering the target audiences who would buy the deluxe editions of the set are more invested and longer-term fans than those who don't know the band's background history. The music they were making in 1970-71 had nothing to do with their earlier "fun in the sun" vibes, in fact they were trying to reinvent themselves and be more progressive in their music and live shows more than trying to connect with the summertime vibe crowd. It would be nice to get as many new listeners, but you have to wonder how many fans who may own one or two of the greatest hits comps and that's it are going to go all out for the deluxe editions of this or any other set.

When all this was announced I thought it would be a holiday season release around November to get the gift-buying and "Prime Day" type of crowds into it too, but I guess the summer vibe does carry over into those decisions based on the band's name alone.

The summer vibe only goes so far for the rest of the planet ... down here it's bloody freezing today.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: July 10, 2021, 03:28:51 AM »

I expect that the next announcement will be that we get to hear another track from the box set.

And a random one, at that.

This just in, Surf's Up acapella mix now up on YouTube, from other sources. Sounds yummy! There was a booted version of this a couple of years back, in much poorer quality, which had an extra section in the tag + studio chatter at the end, but the extra section featured a prominent sour note, which may have been why they faded it earlier on the release.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 01:42:02 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: July 10, 2021, 05:12:21 AM »

I expect that the next announcement will be that we get to hear another track from the box set.

And a random one, at that.

This just in, Surf's Up acapella mix now up on YouTube, from other sources. Sounds yummy!

It appears to finally have been officially released on Amazon and Apple Music. The Acapella on Youtube is just the version accidentally released on Qobuz, "remastered" by the uploader.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3631 on: July 10, 2021, 06:50:22 AM »

COMMENT:   I don't know what all the fuss is about, but you will find an acapella version of Surf's Up in Part Two of my book Recording The Beach Boys -- first published 15 years ago.  It's a vocal-only mix I pulled many years ago. The book is still available for reading at another message board.   ~swd

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:00:03 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3632 on: July 10, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »

- delete -
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:00:21 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: July 11, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »

I keep seeing a two cd Japanese import of Feel Flows that allegedly has exclusive bonus tracks listed on Ebay. Any idea what the "exclusive" tracks are?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: July 11, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »

I keep seeing a two cd Japanese import of Feel Flows that allegedly has exclusive bonus tracks listed on Ebay. Any idea what the "exclusive" tracks are?

Disc 1
+ Sunflower Promo 1
Disc 2
+ Surf's Up Promo

It looks like these tracks are "hidden" - but may appear following the album remasters, rather than at the end of the disc. It's all pretty unclear to me.
This info gleaned from various retailers websites.

Eg. https://diskunion.net/rock/ct/detail/1008322706

Of course these tracks will also appear on the 5 CD set anyways!

Seems like it's a bit of marketing deception from the Japanese??? [No offense to anyone out there - love Japan!]
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: July 14, 2021, 06:35:28 PM »

Amazon Canada has the 5 CD set being released on July 23rd still Possibly just later updating their site?

Does anyone know if the vinyl sets will come with a download card?

Thanks!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3636 on: July 15, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »

Guess the PR is starting to roll...

https://recordcollectormag.com/

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: July 16, 2021, 04:08:34 AM »

"an in-depth article about the fabulous music the Boys made without their de facto leader as he became increasingly absent following the relative commercial failure of his 1966 masterpiece, Pet Sounds."

I forgot that Brian had little do with Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, is co-writer on only 7 of 12 songs on Sunflower. For whatever reason this post-Pet Sounds mythology about Brian still exists. I guess headlines aren't as flashy without the name Pet Sounds in them?

Outside of that, I am stoked that the guys are getting some much deserved credit for their creative work where Brian wasn't at the helm. I can't wait for this set!!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: July 19, 2021, 09:57:28 PM »

Looks like the alternate lyric version of Till I Die has leaked on youtube.

Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: July 20, 2021, 12:34:15 AM »

I'd love to verify this, but I can't find it.
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: July 20, 2021, 12:39:25 AM »

Found it. Interesting. aside from the lyric change, it's also very dry. Nice to hear that Rhythm King (Go Go setting) soloed.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: July 20, 2021, 02:12:33 AM »

Four star review by Andrew Male in the latest Mojo. Most interesting bit for me: "Won't You Tell Me is an engulfing romantic melodrama akin to Please Let Me Wonder ... it appears here in two versions: as a lavish, chiming Brian and Carl duet; and as a solo Brian demo, with control room interjections from his father that only enhance the pathos". He also more keen on the alternative lyrics to Til I Die than Peter Ames Carlin.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: July 20, 2021, 05:44:56 AM »

Found it. Interesting. aside from the lyric change, it's also very dry. Nice to hear that Rhythm King (Go Go setting) soloed.

Interestingly, it's not the mix that will be on the box (which clocks in at around 5 minutes).

Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: July 20, 2021, 05:58:33 AM »

Interestingly, it's not the mix that will be on the box (which clocks in at around 5 minutes).

Perhaps an extra two minutes of the Rhythm King?
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: July 20, 2021, 06:11:15 AM »

Perhaps an extra two minutes of the Rhythm King?

IIRC an article has already described it as being essentially the same (as I read it) to the Alternate Mix on Endless Harmony. So opening with the instruments building up.

EDIT: It's the Uncut article, which states "A stretched-out version of the august “’Til I Die”, with a lingering bass and vibraphone intro, attempts to inject Brian’s existential crisis with a misplaced feelgood factor."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:14:26 AM by as1972 » Logged

king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: July 20, 2021, 08:57:42 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK60SsCN7UE
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: July 20, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »

Guess the PR is starting to roll...

https://recordcollectormag.com/

Got it, and its a very good read HOWEVER the opening Paragraph didn't fill me with great hope as it stated it's 40 Years since SU was released  Roll Eyes
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: July 20, 2021, 04:21:51 PM »

Where on earth did that come from???   Shocked

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: July 20, 2021, 04:23:54 PM »

New article on FF, with comments from Alan Boyd and Mark Linett:

'FEEL FLOWS' -- THE BEACH BOYS RE-IMAGINED THIS SUMMER
http://www.sunnysouthnews.com/blog/2021/07/20/feel-flows-the-beach-boys-re-imagined-this-summer/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: July 20, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »

New article on FF, with comments from Alan Boyd and Mark Linett:

'FEEL FLOWS' -- THE BEACH BOYS RE-IMAGINED THIS SUMMER
http://www.sunnysouthnews.com/blog/2021/07/20/feel-flows-the-beach-boys-re-imagined-this-summer/

Oh yeah.....👍

According to the producers, they hope the upcoming set does well, so they can continue creating boxes like “Feel Flows.”

“There’s still some amazing material in the vaults. We would love the opportunity to share it with everybody.”

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx