gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:23:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841641 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: June 06, 2021, 12:58:16 PM »

So I have the 2cd set coming from amazon UK, Box Set coming from Amazon France. I am very, very tempted to purchase the coloured vinyl box set from The Beach Boys store

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3501 on: June 06, 2021, 01:37:39 PM »

and now we have Brian saying he wrote it entirely. doesn't seem like a thing he'd forget or falsely take credit for.

Hope Mike doesn't read this board anymore....  LOL LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3502 on: June 06, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »

I'm guessing this has already bean posted, so apols if I'm repeating someone else's post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZcSn-Ybjw

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: June 07, 2021, 01:59:13 AM »

So I have the 2cd set coming from amazon UK, Box Set coming from Amazon France. I am very, very tempted to purchase the coloured vinyl box set from The Beach Boys store

I think that you may get it cheaper here depending on shipping charges: https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Feel-Flows-The-Sunflower-Surf-s-Up-Sessions-1969-1971-Exclusive-Translucent-Blue-Yellow-Vinyl-4LP/70760000000?utm_campaign=TheSoundofVinyl20210603&utm_content=&utm_medium=social&utm_source=FacebookPost&utm_umguk=l.facebook.com%2F&utm_campaign=TheSoundofVinyl20210603&utm_content=&utm_medium=social&utm_source=FacebookPost&fbclid=IwAR2ZyGOmXUa0FdqOLcObe4RUI1Za1CVNESW9sRAwn570Q4BKEoiejlFiIGg

£79.99.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:03:02 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: June 07, 2021, 02:17:29 AM »

Why has Dennis not been recognized after all these years and decades?
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: June 07, 2021, 02:58:34 AM »

Didn't the Pacific Ocean Blue reiussue do really well? It's a cult classic now. Bambu got a standalone Record Store Day release. Among general music-lovers, it's safe to say he's the second most well known Beach Boy.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: June 07, 2021, 03:06:08 AM »

PoB's acclaim has increased a lot yeah. I suspect the issue is that many of Dennis' strong songs were never released, and those which were released were mostly on 20/20 and Sunflower, both of which are barely known outside fan circles. His impulsive nature and short attention span also mean that many of his best fragments/song ideas were never finished properly or fleshed out to their fullest potential.

Early 70's really were a weird time for the band. Dennis was trying to do white soul but the band went for roots-rock instead before jumping on the nostalgia train. All this meaning Dennis' efforts to go in a more contemporary direction never really landed like they should have, mostly because the group never really followed through or continued in that direction. The closest they got was highlighting It's About Time live in '71.

I do tend to wonder if Slip on Through and Sound of Free could have been successful singles in 1970 if they'd had the proper promotion/backing. Both strong, commercial songs which wouldn't have been out of place on radio at the time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:08:50 AM by Tom » Logged
mtcarr79
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: June 07, 2021, 03:10:38 AM »

I wanted to pre-order the 5CD set from my local independent record shop but got this reply from them:

"Hi Matthew, just getting back to you about this - I have been advised by the rep that we will probably be limited to one copy of this box set and he can't confirm the price to me either (!) so it might be wise to order it from elsewhere to avoid disappointment, sorry I couldn't offer better news"

It's a shame that I'll have to order it from a large company that doesn't really need my money - and who will have fewer restrictions on how much stock it can order. No wonder the little shops are struggling...
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: June 07, 2021, 03:38:42 AM »

So I pre-ordered the 4 LP colored vinyl, are there any differences from the CD version? Also, I ordered from the BB website it says it going to ship on July 30th, I thought pre-ordering you'd get it the day of, but will probably have to wait until sometime in August right?

... The Live in 1971 It's About Time seems to be 10 seconds longer on the LP than the CD...

Maybe that's to add a fade in/out to the track. That's what I would guess.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: June 07, 2021, 05:19:13 AM »

Still no stock for the 5CD on Amazon UK, oddly
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: June 07, 2021, 06:21:25 AM »

I wanted to pre-order the 5CD set from my local independent record shop but got this reply from them:

"Hi Matthew, just getting back to you about this - I have been advised by the rep that we will probably be limited to one copy of this box set and he can't confirm the price to me either (!) so it might be wise to order it from elsewhere to avoid disappointment, sorry I couldn't offer better news"

It's a shame that I'll have to order it from a large company that doesn't really need my money - and who will have fewer restrictions on how much stock it can order. No wonder the little shops are struggling...

Interesting.

The box set must be very limited in supply.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: June 07, 2021, 06:22:33 AM »

Makes no sense.

I went with Amazon France

mtcarr79
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: June 07, 2021, 07:19:44 AM »

Makes no sense.

Is that from the UK? I went with HMV after a few minutes of panic. I'm a bit wary of ordering stuff from Europe post-Brexit in case they slap on a hefty surcharge. Plus I don't want to contribute to Jeff Bezos' space holiday.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: June 07, 2021, 07:32:47 AM »

As far as "Won't You Tell Me" goes, I assumed that it was a collaboration between Murry Wilson and Rick Henn. But then comes the Rolling Stone article and you have Brian saying what he said. Anybody know what's up on either of these or will we just have to wait for the set and scour the credits?

discussed it a little a page or 2 back.
a couple of us are glad Brian is now claiming credit for it, while a couple others seem sure that Murry wrote it and Brian is misremembering. appears that it's being credited to both Brian and Murry in the liner notes.

I've been revisiting the song (which i love) since the announcement. the chords, harmonies, melody, lyrics, not to mention Brian's sheer investment in singing the thing, all point to him indeed having written it. and now we have Brian saying he wrote it entirely. doesn't seem like a thing he'd forget or falsely take credit for.

at any rate, I'm ecstatic we're getting 2 separate versions of this gem of a song.

I dunno... To me the whole vibe of the song just doesn't say Brian at all. The tempo and feel, the uneven numbering of bars, the slightly clunky chord changes. Plus more than anything else, the melody and lyrics just don't feel Brian-esque at all to me - the melody is too on the nose & doesn't feel complete/organic in the way it flows and resolves.

The lyric is weird too - quite over-elaborated in its subject matter and trying too hard to tell a story, whereas Brian tended to keep his lyrics quite basic. It's also quite a conservative lyric which is another thing that leads me to think Murry - would Brian in '70 really have written a song about pleading a girl to tell him if she's a virgin? Really if we compare to Brian's other songs from the time, it makes little sense. He was well into the lighthearted, slice of life sort of bag at that point. Won't You Tell Me just has such a sense of grandiosity and taking itself 100% seriously which doesn't match Brian's style at the time. Even Brian's 'serious' songs of he time like Our Sweet Love orTil I Die are much more subtle and idiosyncratic.

To me, Won't You Tell Me as a complete package definitely has the slightly awkward, adult contemporary tinged vibe of Murry attempting to write a Brian style song. Still, I guess we'll never know for sure. But I can entirely believe that Brian would be misremembering here. The man has written hundreds of songs - it's not unreasonable to suppose that the details of a song which was scrapped five decades ago are a bit hazy to him now.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: June 07, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »

Makes no sense.

Is that from the UK? I went with HMV after a few minutes of panic. I'm a bit wary of ordering stuff from Europe post-Brexit in case they slap on a hefty surcharge. Plus I don't want to contribute to Jeff Bezos' space holiday.

Yeah the France one will attract tax. I'm assuming that Amazon UK will open sales up within the month
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: June 07, 2021, 08:23:00 AM »

Makes no sense.

😂😂

Apparently it ships from a warehouse in the UK.

Trust me, I would love to purchase from anywhere else but the few places that are selling it are charging pretty high prices. Got it from Amazon France for 83 euro.

Hopefully it works out.

Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: June 07, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »

As far as "Won't You Tell Me" goes, I assumed that it was a collaboration between Murry Wilson and Rick Henn. But then comes the Rolling Stone article and you have Brian saying what he said. Anybody know what's up on either of these or will we just have to wait for the set and scour the credits?

discussed it a little a page or 2 back.
a couple of us are glad Brian is now claiming credit for it, while a couple others seem sure that Murry wrote it and Brian is misremembering. appears that it's being credited to both Brian and Murry in the liner notes.

I've been revisiting the song (which i love) since the announcement. the chords, harmonies, melody, lyrics, not to mention Brian's sheer investment in singing the thing, all point to him indeed having written it. and now we have Brian saying he wrote it entirely. doesn't seem like a thing he'd forget or falsely take credit for.

at any rate, I'm ecstatic we're getting 2 separate versions of this gem of a song.

I dunno... To me the whole vibe of the song just doesn't say Brian at all. The tempo and feel, the uneven numbering of bars, the slightly clunky chord changes. Plus more than anything else, the melody and lyrics just don't feel Brian-esque at all to me - the melody is too on the nose & doesn't feel complete/organic in the way it flows and resolves.

The lyric is weird too - quite over-elaborated in its subject matter and trying too hard to tell a story, whereas Brian tended to keep his lyrics quite basic. It's also quite a conservative lyric which is another thing that leads me to think Murry - would Brian in '70 really have written a song about pleading a girl to tell him if she's a virgin? Really if we compare to Brian's other songs from the time, it makes little sense. He was well into the lighthearted, slice of life sort of bag at that point. Won't You Tell Me just has such a sense of grandiosity and taking itself 100% seriously which doesn't match Brian's style at the time. Even Brian's 'serious' songs of he time like Our Sweet Love orTil I Die are much more subtle and idiosyncratic.

To me, Won't You Tell Me as a complete package definitely has the slightly awkward, adult contemporary tinged vibe of Murry attempting to write a Brian style song. Still, I guess we'll never know for sure. But I can entirely believe that Brian would be misremembering here. The man has written hundreds of songs - it's not unreasonable to suppose that the details of a song which was scrapped five decades ago are a bit hazy to him now.
Granted at the same time Soulful Old Man Sunshine doesn’t have as much of a Brian sound but he’s still a co writer and the demo is definitely him. I know that doesn’t necessarily mean anything but still
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: June 07, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »

PoB's acclaim has increased a lot yeah. I suspect the issue is that many of Dennis' strong songs were never released, and those which were released were mostly on 20/20 and Sunflower, both of which are barely known outside fan circles. His impulsive nature and short attention span also mean that many of his best fragments/song ideas were never finished properly or fleshed out to their fullest potential.

Early 70's really were a weird time for the band. Dennis was trying to do white soul but the band went for roots-rock instead before jumping on the nostalgia train. All this meaning Dennis' efforts to go in a more contemporary direction never really landed like they should have, mostly because the group never really followed through or continued in that direction. The closest they got was highlighting It's About Time live in '71.

I do tend to wonder if Slip on Through and Sound of Free could have been successful singles in 1970 if they'd had the proper promotion/backing. Both strong, commercial songs which wouldn't have been out of place on radio at the time.

I agree on everything you would just think based on looks and charm ,charisma and talent that he would be up there with Jim Morrison , Jimi Hendrix as iconic status. But I feel as though Brian for these 50+ years have been given credit on everything the other guys haven’t really gotten out of his shadow. I try to put myself in Dennis’s shoes and the other guys shoes. Brian lead them to great success so therefore natural your bad is gonna rely on you. but there came a point where they didn’t need to rely on him and they made great music from friends to Holland without Brian more or less. and then came endless summer which I blame capital for that so Dennis never really was really able to get his way the fact that none of his songs are on surfs Up and the 1973 concert album still bugs me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:58:09 AM by feelintheflows » Logged
DJ Mark David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: June 07, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »

I’m feeling like some merch would also flow.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: June 07, 2021, 06:15:58 PM »

Isn’t it kind of weird they haven’t promoted this feel flows set with oh I don’t the song feel flows.....
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3520 on: June 07, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »

I feel like "Add Some Music" would have been a better title for this set, even though I much prefer Feel Flows over that track.  "Add Some Music" was also the original title for Sunflower.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: June 07, 2021, 10:59:54 PM »

For the real completists there is a SHM-CD version of the 5 disc set. Don’t know anything about them.

https://tower.jp/item/5209587/フィール・フロウズ:サンフラワー&サーフズ・アップ・セッションズ1969-1971<完全生産限定盤>

https://tower.jp/item/5209640/FEEL-FLOWS:-The-Sunflower-&-Surf's-Up-Sessions-1969-1971<限定盤>
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: June 08, 2021, 03:49:43 AM »

I can understand why they weren't a part of this set, but I would love for the mono promo mixes of Susie Cincinatti and Add Some Music to turn up on an end of year copyright dump Wink I'm guessing maybe the next mix of the former on the box will mirror this in stereo - we'll soon know!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: June 08, 2021, 06:37:50 AM »

I can understand why they weren't a part of this set, but I would love for the mono promo mixes of Susie Cincinatti and Add Some Music to turn up on an end of year copyright dump Wink I'm guessing maybe the next mix of the former on the box will mirror this in stereo - we'll soon know!

For me, the big missing thing is Silly Walls, that Wilson/Sandler thing. They included Awake, and It's Natural is a Brian/Sandler thing according to Don Goldberg's book. A bit sad they missed out on the third one - my favourite of the two that circulate.
To be clear, I am incredibly excited for the set, it's just this one omission I'm a bit bummed by.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »

There’s a 10% coupon code available in the official site: GET10OFF.

But I’m waiting for the box set to be available in the uDiscover store, because there’s a $25 OFF available coupon: SUMMER25

Just got the 4LP at uDiscover. SUMMER25 coupon knocked 25% off.

Could you like us please? I am trying "SUMMER25" at https://store.udiscovermusic.com/ but "No Voucher >SUMMER25< found."

EDIT:
Nevermind - seems you need to be in the American store to use it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:02:52 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx