gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:43:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841592 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2975 on: February 18, 2021, 03:42:56 PM »

So, we were waiting on Irving Azoff.

No.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: February 19, 2021, 02:00:22 AM »

Having bought the '93 set on the day of issue, which was also described in similar terms to 'game changer' ...
I happened to be visiting EMI's UK factory while they were pressing it!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: February 20, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »

Okay, I've done some calculating.  The set is supposed to be five CD's.  So with about 80 minutes per CD, that adds up to 400 minutes.

And I just tallied all the times on the tracklist above and the total comes out to be about 263 minutes and 20 seconds.

So that leaves 135+ minutes left over.  So we could easily be missing 2 hours and 10+ minutes of music from the set!  That's a lot of material that could be very revelatory!

So, okay, I'm feeling a little better about the prospects for this set.  Thanks again, Howie, for keeping us updated.

PS -- Of course a question many have been asking: is the set going to include remixes of the albums?  I don't know how long each album is, but we would have to subtract those running lengths from the total above.  I, for one, hope that they don't include remixes of the albums in the set, because I want more room for unreleased material, sessions, and backing and vocal tracks.  Of course it would be nice if they would rerelease the albums separately with new mixes!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

Good work Dan.

I count 29 blanks [see previous page] - so that averages just over 3 minutes per unknown track, about what you'd expect. Plus I stopped at 122 because there are no entries above that in the ISRC numbering registered yet, but that doesn't mean that there might not be a few numbered above 122 which are yet to be registered. A very real possibility. - Maybe that solves the mystery regarding the live disc - but maybe it's just a short show, not a full live disc. It would also mean the average length comes down.

I've got my fingers crossed for this to be released before my next big holiday which will be mid-May. Relaxing on the beach, listening to the Beach Boys sounds like a plan.  Smiley

I personally think that if they re-remaster the albums again, then they will be separate releases. I mean let's face it, if you're buying this box, you've probably got two or three releases of Sunflower and Surf's Up already in your collection. [Some smileysmilers might even have as many as ten of each!]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:33:59 PM by thetojo » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: February 20, 2021, 09:51:50 PM »

I just don’t get why there is literally zero marketing or word of mouth. This is realistically aimed at the hardcore fans. Why be so in the dark about it? Hopefully the new entity buying the group will be better - because this is pathetic. Who cares if we are lucky/privileged enough to know the release date or track listing ‘early’. Not like anyone but US will buy it.
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:14 AM »

I just don’t get why there is literally zero marketing or word of mouth. This is realistically aimed at the hardcore fans. Why be so in the dark about it? Hopefully the new entity buying the group will be better - because this is pathetic. Who cares if we are lucky/privileged enough to know the release date or track listing ‘early’. Not like anyone but US will buy it.

I don't think it's been officially announced yet. It's only through word of mouth that we know anything about it. I join you however in hoping there is a good marketing strategy in place for when it is announced, because as Howie has stated more than once, people NEED to hear this set.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2980 on: February 21, 2021, 01:14:18 AM »

I have faith everything’s gonna work out just fine....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: February 21, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »

Rebel, the new entity buying the group is logically the reason for there not being any word yet.

Also, the last time The Beach Boys released a major studio-album boxset they pushed the release date back about 2-3 times. So with The Beach Boys possibly remembering that incident they're perhaps making sure this thing is 100% completed before any official word gets out. And I realize that Feel Flows was apparently all ready to go over the summer, but Howie mentioned late-November that he did a recent interview with Brian for the project - so apparently they were adding more to the project post-summer (even if it was just more interview material).

Regardless, since Howie hasn't been raising any alarm bells I am confident that things are going smoothly behind the scenes. But it is awesome to see a lot of excitement for the set! Can't wait to hear this music.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:07:40 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2982 on: February 22, 2021, 08:16:07 AM »

Well, there's plenty word of mouth among the hardcore fans on the boards. That's how we advocated for the set last year.

As explained in the ten thousand posts earlier in this thread, the whole situation was sensitive and it was only late last year that things finally got freed up to let this thing come out. That's essentially when the timeline for the release sort of re-started.

You don't know a release date, so you don't know when any sort of promotional campaign or press release with details would be coming. They've *never* announced track listings like six or nine months before a release.

We all want this thing out. We all know about it, and hopefully even more will know about it when the time is right.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »

Was Van Dyke Parks interviewed for the set? A while ago, he indicated on Twitter that no interview took place. Maybe one took place since?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: February 25, 2021, 10:40:37 PM »

Losing hope

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2985 on: February 26, 2021, 07:15:00 AM »

Losing hope

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: February 26, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »

Was Van Dyke Parks interviewed for the set? A while ago, he indicated on Twitter that no interview took place. Maybe one took place since?

Not sure Van Dyke's input to the 1970-71 works was particularly massive - I dare say he was trying to avoid the Beach Boys scene at that time - but it's entirely possible that I should go back and have a read of the relevant literature on that.

[I know that a couple of SMiLE remnants surfaced on Sunflower & Surf's Up, but I doubt Van Dyke was consulted or had any involvement].
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: February 26, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »

Not sure Van Dyke's input to the 1970-71 works was particularly massive - I dare say he was trying to avoid the Beach Boys scene at that time - but it's entirely possible that I should go back and have a read of the relevant literature on that.

[I know that a couple of SMiLE remnants surfaced on Sunflower & Surf's Up, but I doubt Van Dyke was consulted or had any involvement].

As far as I know, he helped convince Warner/Reprise to sign the band, IIRC.  That could be fairly important, and he could also have stories regarding "A Day in the Life of a Tree" (or "Sail On, Sailor" if a 1971 version has been located in the vaults).
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: February 27, 2021, 01:31:12 PM »

As far as I know, he helped convince Warner/Reprise to sign the band, IIRC.  That could be fairly important, and he could also have stories regarding "A Day in the Life of a Tree" (or "Sail On, Sailor" if a 1971 version has been located in the vaults).

True, and if the early demo of Sail On Sailor forms any part of this set, then that alone would justify an interview with him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:31:55 PM by thetojo » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: February 28, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »

For some reason I haven't been able to log in here forever... It's nice to be back, especially at such a promising time
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: February 28, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »

Welcome back, Ed! It's good to see you here.
BBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: February 28, 2021, 04:31:44 PM »

Hi Ed....does your welcome return perhaps pre-empt any imminent, official news on the Feel Flows box set?

Here’s hoping.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2992 on: March 01, 2021, 08:18:02 AM »

For some reason I haven't been able to log in here forever... It's nice to be back, especially at such a promising time

Welcome back, Ed! I was wondering if you'd left the board. Good to see you again

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 01, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »

https://twitter.com/MikeLoveOFCL/status/1366449288063184896

: )

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 01, 2021, 11:06:31 AM »

Thats something I guess.

Press Release would be nice

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 01, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »

Thats something I guess.

Press Release would be nice

This is Mike Love advertising a WORLD TOUR for the boxset. It is more than something - it is confirmation that everyone is 100% onboard with the release of this set in 2021. They can't really go back now, so we're getting the set. This is huge news for any doubters and naysayers. Yes a press release would be phenomenal, but this is confirmation that we will be getting a press release soon (it's already March and 2021 is already flying by...before you know it we'll all be dusting off our CD players and cranking up the hi-fi sets, listening to the music and reading the incredible booklet that will accompany this set).

Ever since Howie gave us the good news (and especially since his last update in November) I've been completely confident we'd be seeing this set. I hope that Mike Love announcing a world tour for the set would be just as good news to everyone else.

edit: as1972, thanks for sharing that! This is truly wonderful to hear.

Makes me wonder if Brian will start doing a show or two to promote this set.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:33:34 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 01, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »

We'd been told several times since the new year that the box set was on track.

That Mike is touring a Feel Flows tour really adds nothing to what we knew.
peoplewitheyes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 01, 2021, 12:35:03 PM »

A 'world tour'??  In 2021?  Where the hell is he going to play?

ah, I see now it's a world tour of Florida...  Seems to make sense now LOL
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:37:18 PM by peoplewitheyes » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 01, 2021, 01:48:11 PM »

It is at least an improvement on Mike's flat out denial during our despondent phase.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2999 on: March 01, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »

And that is why I propose we lock the thread now and don't discuss anything else about it. Even when we get a tracklist, or when it is released, there will be no point discussing it since we already knew the set was on track.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx