gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:37:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841644 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2925 on: January 22, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »

3. A 1974-1982 set

15 Big Ones, Love You, Adult Child and MIU are enormous, at least as many songs as the period Feel Flows is looking to cover without even including the scattered '73-'75 tracks. The LA, KTSA and post-KTSA era is almost equally huge. It couldn't feasibly sit beside the rest on a single release unless the scale increased dramatically or the depth dropped by a lot.

Yes.

How about this:

CARIBOU (1972-75) - outtakes from So Tough to pre-15 Big Ones, presented as a proper album that could have been.

ENDLESS SUMMER LIVE (1972-75) - cover art like Endless Summer but with real photos of the group from the era. Track list mirrors Endless Summer as closely as possible for the first disc!

BRIAN IS BACK (1976-77) - 15 Big Ones + Love You + MIU  outtakes + New Album, Adult Child, etc.

1978-2012 - everything else. Not too much marketable here is what I think is the problem.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: January 23, 2021, 01:40:25 AM »

I love that Endless Summer live idea!! I'd also ideally love to have a "Beachago" set. I wouldn't mind a KTSA box set. I'd like a disc of the whole album totally remastered to sound more "live", at least two cd's of outtakes, and maybe the 1980 Philadelphia show.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2927 on: January 23, 2021, 03:51:56 AM »

ENDLESS SUMMER LIVE (1972-75) - cover art like Endless Summer but with real photos of the group from the era. Track list mirrors Endless Summer as closely as possible for the first disc!

I can see the commercial point of this and the Boys - no doubt - were a great live band at this time. But really another show with the same songs? We have the great Knebworth show, which includes Brian and Bruce, so that is good enough for me. I'm not a fan of Billy Hinsche's sound in the Beach Boys blend on the oldies (interestingly he sounds more fitting on stuff like "Funky pretty" etc), so I woudn't be too excited about this. I'd rather have a complete Blondie & Ricky show or a compilation of the best stuff. I wouldn't be offended though, if they'd release something like you suggested.

BTW I wanted to ask this in another thread but since we're talking about live recordings from this periode: The live versions of "Wild Honey" and "It's about Time" (possibly others as well) on "Made in California" have this weird echo/delay on the vocals. Was that how they did it back then or was it a decision by Mark, Alan etc. ? I don't like it, to be honest. Takes away a lot of power and "live"-feeling.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: January 25, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »

My 2 cents (after taxes): I can't believe we're speculating on future releases when we don't even have Feel Flows in our hands (and ears) yet. That said, I do think the So Tough/Holland material deserves it's own set - the Ricky/Blondie era. I also think that's the last really fertile period musically; the group trying new sounds, integrating the two new guys into the band; with material that is well regarded these days.
I suppose there could be a Brian is Back - But He Really Wasn't box.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2929 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »

^ I personally prefer the Brian is Back era to anything else after Friends.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2930 on: January 26, 2021, 02:24:24 AM »

My 2 cents (after taxes): I can't believe we're speculating on future releases when we don't even have Feel Flows in our hands (and ears) yet. That said, I do think the So Tough/Holland material deserves it's own set - the Ricky/Blondie era.

I don't know about this copyright extension business, but since at least some of the So Tough material seems to be on "Feel Flows" (Marcella) would it be too crazy to think that the complete album will be covered, even though some of the tracks still have the copyright until later this year?
As mentioned before, I could see them putting the three albums (Sunflower, Surf's Up, So Tough) onto this new set and releasing a deluxe version of "Holland" for it's anniversary (not unlike a single release for "Wild Honey" with "Sunshine Tomorrow"). But that's just me. I don't have any insight into what the team is working with and what their plans are.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: January 27, 2021, 01:44:11 AM »

We'll all have forgotten who the Beach Boys were by the time this comes out.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: January 27, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »

DonnyL:

Yes.

How about this:

CARIBOU (1972-75) - outtakes from So Tough to pre-15 Big Ones, presented as a proper album that could have been.

BRIAN IS BACK (1976-77) - 15 Big Ones + Love You + MIU  outtakes + New Album, Adult Child, etc.

1978-2012 - everything else. Not too much marketable here is what I think is the problem.

Not a bad idea either.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:06:30 PM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: January 27, 2021, 11:57:33 PM »

We'll all have forgotten who the Beach Boys were by the time this comes out.
Yeah, things have been awfully quiet recently. It’s making me optimistic for an announcement soon at least.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: January 28, 2021, 05:52:23 PM »

Things have been quiet for damn near a year. And that makes you excited for details?..........
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2935 on: January 28, 2021, 06:37:58 PM »

Considering Howie has updated us recently I wouldn’t call it being quiet for a year.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: January 29, 2021, 12:56:58 AM »

Considering Howie has updated us recently I wouldn’t call it being quiet for a year.
Exactly. It feels like we haven’t had an update from Howie for a hot minute, and the last two were “it’s all going well”. Smells good to me!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: January 29, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »

They say no news is good news... Hmmmmm....
But hopefully we can Celebrate the news one day... 😁
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:41:20 AM by bsten » Logged
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: January 29, 2021, 09:37:04 AM »

I just wonder...Who are their target audience? Old fans or new - or both? Why not release the whole shebang while we're still alive!!?? Why not please the long-time fans instead of future generations who don't have a clue who the Beach Boys were? We've grown up together, enjoyed and supported the boys for - I believe many of us - 50 years or more. We've longed for new releases, we had some great moments, sometimes disappointed, but we're still here for the boys! And we've spent thousands of dollars and we're still prepared to spend more... Am I being selfish thinking that way? But when we, the long-time fans are dead it's too late....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:43:51 AM by bsten » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2939 on: January 29, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »

Exactly. It feels like we haven’t had an update from Howie for a hot minute, and the last two were “it’s all going well”. Smells good to me!

I think you got the opposite meaning of what I’m saying.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: January 29, 2021, 02:40:04 PM »

I just wonder...Who are their target audience? Old fans or new - or both? Why not release the whole shebang while we're still alive!!?? Why not please the long-time fans instead of future generations who don't have a clue who the Beach Boys were? We've grown up together, enjoyed and supported the boys for - I believe many of us - 50 years or more. We've longed for new releases, we had some great moments, sometimes disappointed, but we're still here for the boys! And we've spent thousands of dollars and we're still prepared to spend more... Am I being selfish thinking that way? But when we, the long-time fans are dead it's too late....

Hear Ye!  Hear Ye!

On another note, is there anyone else besides me who's not exactly bowled over with the snippets and the "song list" that was unearthed?  I mean, yes, the snippets sound great, and will be revelatory.  And I think "Loop De Loop" and "My Solution" are both genius.  But I also think there are a lot of Beach Boy super fans who don't like those two songs very much.  So where are all the things Howie said were going to make people think differently about the Beach Boys?  "I Just Got My Pay" and "Carnival/Over The Waves" certainly aren't going to do it.   Have some of you heard most of the new Dennis songs that are going to be on it?  Are they going to make people think differently about the Beach Boys?  I mean, in my mind, many Dennis songs do have the power to do that.  So hopefully they'll be a revelation!  I just hope there are a lot of other songs we've never heard (and were completed, or nearly completed) to add to the box that help to change people's minds about the Boys.

And there's still FIVE MONTHS before it comes out!  AAAAAAARGH!  That is just way too long!  Please, someone, speed it up!  Get it out sooner!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: January 29, 2021, 02:58:02 PM »

Sort of wondering the same - I don't see Brian's (rightfully) discarded Sunflower songs from this period changing any public perceptions for the better. My guess is also on the Dennis stuff
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2942 on: January 29, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »

*they have not leaked any unreleased snippets from 1971.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2943 on: January 29, 2021, 06:16:32 PM »

Call me crazy, but i have a very strong feeling Ecology is going to blow some minds....

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: February 03, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »

^ I personally prefer the Brian is Back era to anything else after Friends.

Me too, with the exception of Holland, which I think is as strong as the material from the Brian-dominated years.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: February 03, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »

Well, there's like 116 tracks (give or take 1 or 2) on this box set.

We know of around 70-80 of them at this stage, what they will be. I'd allow 10 tracks for the 1970 Big Sur show. There could be some rehearsals. I don't think there'll be more than 2 or 3 from CATP.

That leaves, let's say at least 20 tracks that we don't know about. Those 20 could be either more run-of-the-mill tracks or they could be revelatory. ??
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: February 03, 2021, 02:07:28 PM »

I don't understand how and why everybody thinks Big Sur will be released. It seems as though the existing soundboard recording isn't even the full show.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: February 03, 2021, 02:08:04 PM »

I don't understand how and why everybody thinks Big Sur will be released. It seems as though the existing soundboard recording isn't even the full show.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: February 03, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2949 on: February 04, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx