gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841512 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: January 06, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »

Well Do it Again has origins back to Hawthorne Blvd. and that itself reminds me of a song by the Frogmen .. the name escapes me... but Mike could still technically be right if he had a hand in Hawthorne Blvd - but let’s be real here.

A mild resemblance to "Underwater" by The Frogmen.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xN8RgVFoBY

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2851 on: January 06, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »

Well Do it Again has origins back to Hawthorne Blvd. and that itself reminds me of a song by the Frogmen .. the name escapes me... but Mike could still technically be right if he had a hand in Hawthorne Blvd - but let’s be real here.

The Frogmen song is called Underwater

https://youtu.be/3xN8RgVFoBY

Truth be told it’s a bit of a stretch..i hear more of A Thing or Two personally

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: January 07, 2021, 01:07:14 AM »

as is often the case with the Brits, is way too glib-
A bit of a generalisation, methinketh.  I hope you're only talking about the music mag journos.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: January 07, 2021, 01:50:01 AM »

I'm pretty sure everything else I've read about "Do It Again" says that Mike came up with the lyrical idea of the song, brought it to Brian, and together they worked out the song, with Brian writing the music.  I don't think there is any reason to overcomplicate it.  I don't think either Brian or Mike have told exactly how it went down.  And unless they do I don't know what speculating is going to accomplish.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: January 07, 2021, 02:08:35 AM »

Never mind asking Brian and Mike about Do It Again. Has anyone asked Bill Jackson???
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: January 07, 2021, 12:31:58 PM »

Okay, now we're back to Feel Flows talk, since at least one version of Marcella will be on this box set, does that mean we get to hear Beatrice From Baltimore. Does it have separate lyrics/vocals, or is it just a working title for You Need A Mess Of Help?
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: January 07, 2021, 05:07:56 PM »

Never mind asking Brian and Mike about Do It Again. Has anyone asked Bill Jackson???
I have been asking for information on Bill Jackson for years now! I think in one interview Mike gave Bill a slightly different name.
Bill, are you out there?

Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: January 07, 2021, 09:46:49 PM »

Here Comes the Night also feels like a slight precursor to Do It Again. And of course the chorus falsetto melody started as a new organ line that Brian wrote for Surfin in Hawaii '67.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: January 07, 2021, 11:40:52 PM »

I have been asking for information on Bill Jackson for years now! I think in one interview Mike gave Bill a slightly different name.
Bill, are you out there?

Admittedly, it's  ridiculous, but I just went on classmates.com and checked out the Dorsey High Class of '59 yearbook... and there he is on the top of p. 96... Bill Jackson.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: January 08, 2021, 12:10:07 PM »

Fantastic!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: January 08, 2021, 04:47:23 PM »

A bit of a generalisation, methinketh.  I hope you're only talking about the music mag journos.

Yes, referring to the journos, not to the entire citizenry!

Bill, are you out there?

Well, THIS thread has everything you never wanted to know about Bill Jackson:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7531.0

But wouldn't it be great if it turned out to be THIS Bill Jackson?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/books/2017/01/17/jackson-takes-pride-diverse-cast-lion-winter/96646462/

After you check out the link, you probably won't be holding your breath...

I'm pretty sure everything else I've read about "Do It Again" says that Mike came up with the lyrical idea of the song, brought it to Brian, and together they worked out the song, with Brian writing the music.  I don't think there is any reason to overcomplicate it.  I don't think either Brian or Mike have told exactly how it went down.  And unless they do I don't know what speculating is going to accomplish.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

Speculating is what many of us are here for, Dan...and the idea that Mike might have written a melody for his lyrics isn't on the level of a quadratic equation, now, is it?

Okay, now we're back to Feel Flows talk, since at least one version of Marcella will be on this box set, does that mean we get to hear Beatrice From Baltimore. Does it have separate lyrics/vocals, or is it just a working title for You Need A Mess Of Help?

The semi-official word is that no one preserved a copy of the song with the original lyrics, but you never know. What has been speculated (there I go again!) as being the first verse of "Beatrice" has circulated ever since David Leaf's first edition of his BB bio, and they do scan with the melody, but they do seem a bit too tongue-in-cheeky to, shall we say, "stand alone."

That said, I'm sure many are hoping against hope that there's a still a demo with those lyrics on it and that it might show up--but I'm not sure if it's "eligible" to be on FEEL FLOWS.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: January 08, 2021, 05:09:24 PM »

Bill, are you out there?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/books/2017/01/17/jackson-takes-pride-diverse-cast-lion-winter/96646462/

All joking aside, until yesterday, I truly thought Bill Jackson was a made-up friend in a made-up story.  Let's face it.  The name sounds like something a guy would sign in a hotel guest book as he checked in with his mistress.   But, damn, then I saw that there really was a Bill Jackson at Dorsey High with Mike Love in 1959... and, you know, he looks like he could be surfer... so why not?  Maybe the story is more or less true, and everything happened pretty the way Mike Love said it did.    I'm kind reminded of the Tim Burton film "Big Fish."   LOL
SunshineTomorrow
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: January 09, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »

"Live in 1970" uploaded today to the official YouTube page? Not available for me though.

Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nT6i9gnGVfpzznoABAOX9tATiPJPAiFIA
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2863 on: January 09, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »

"Live in 1970" uploaded today to the official YouTube page? Not available for me though.

Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nT6i9gnGVfpzznoABAOX9tATiPJPAiFIA

Yes indeed, 74 (count 'em) live tracks from '70 showing up on the official BB YouTube channel but all tagged "unavailable".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2864 on: January 09, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »

It's nothing "official" I guess as it mixes soundboard and audience recordings. Don't know why it's on that channel.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: January 09, 2021, 02:43:09 PM »

It's nothing "official" I guess as it mixes soundboard and audience recordings. Don't know why it's on that channel.
That channel automatically uploads any "releases" by the band, including stuff like this and the Surfin' Safari re-releases. Someone's obviously just taken advantage of the copyright on these recordings being expired in the EU due to the lack of their release in 2020. It's just someone's bootleg collection now "legally" released, featuring an ad in the middle of an intro - https://youtu.be/dWha_Z19_SA
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2866 on: January 09, 2021, 07:14:55 PM »

Many of these tracks have significantly better sound quality (albeit not great) than what was ever bootlegged.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: January 09, 2021, 11:09:15 PM »

Bill, are you out there?

All joking aside, until yesterday, I truly thought Bill Jackson was a made-up friend in a made-up story.  Let's face it.  The name sounds like something a guy would sign in a hotel guest book as he checked in with his mistress.   But, damn, then I saw that there really was a Bill Jackson at Dorsey High with Mike Love in 1959... and, you know, he looks like he could be surfer... so why not?  Maybe the story is more or less true, and everything happened pretty the way Mike Love said it did.    I'm kind reminded of the Tim Burton film "Big Fish."   LOL

Same. I always thought Mike was full of sh*t on that one. But maybe he was telling the truth this whole time.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2868 on: January 11, 2021, 06:12:07 AM »

I'm unable to play any of those tracks.  Looks like someone shut them down...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2869 on: January 11, 2021, 07:12:46 AM »

BTW, one workaround to be able to play the tracks: use one of those online YouTube-to-MP3/MP4 converters.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: January 11, 2021, 12:13:19 PM »

BTW, one workaround to be able to play the tracks: use one of those online YouTube-to-MP3/MP4 converters.

Tried ... didn't work for me.
JonEverett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 12, 2021, 01:25:22 AM »

Would it be allowed to upload the Live 1970 tracks here?
Jon
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2872 on: January 12, 2021, 07:27:03 AM »

Probably not: like it or not, these things are official now. (And they're for sale on European download sites now, including Amazon. And they're on Spotify.) Plus, admins frown on trading even unofficial stuff on this site, understandably.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2873 on: January 12, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »

Correct, please don't post direct links to download that kind of thing here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 13, 2021, 01:50:58 AM »

I’ve only listened to the first 14 songs in that playlist so far, and that’s Big Sur 1970 in quality similar (or perhaps the same) to Vigotone’s GSHG set but with the missing songs patched in from a common low-quality source. If this is an official ”release”, they sure don’t make a lot of effort but are probably just grabbing the nearest available bootleg sources. 😢
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx