gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:05:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841723 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: December 22, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »

Can I suggest to those marketing this boxset to actually come out and make an announcement. If it is left until next year it is likely to be swamped by this...The Beatles ‘Get Back’ movie and inevitable soundtrack.

Sneak peak released yesterday. It’s going to be BIG!

https://youtu.be/UocEGvQ10OE

LOL Like an announcement now will matter if Feel Flows is coming out in say May.  I am sure they want to wait until the magazine covers and interviews are ready, as well as other promotional things going on at once.  You just want an announcement because you can't wait for news! Cheesy And I wouldn't disagree with you - what harm can an announcement bring now?  But we already have had an announcement - Howie says it's coming out soon.  Yes, Get Back will be huge.  But what's the alternative - release it a year later?  What if they release Rubber Soul and Revolver boxsets (which are likely coming soon thereafter)?  The BB will be fine.

I could easily see the reason (if not THE reason, then perhaps A reason, one of several different reasons) why the box is getting pushed out 6+ months into the new year could be to distance Mike's 2020 actions and Trump/"BBs" brand commingling in the public's minds with some time passing.

This includes, in my estimation, why there's no marketing happening in an official capacity at this point right now. Those marketing folks KNOW that they want to get the FF box some space from those events; marketing people may drop the ball sometimes, but they're also well aware of Mike's reputation and the brand name taking a beating this year. All a marketing person has to do is simply see what happens in the comments the moment there's a Beach Boys post on social media by any major news outlet.  It's not rocket science, and the marketing person can be of marginal talent to see this clearly. It'd be obvious even to an unpaid marketing intern.  

Whether or not someone reading this messageboard likes Trump or despises him, the fact is that Mike got a TON of pushback from fans (particularly the type of fans who'd be most interested in a '70-'71 era box set, and the type of music publications who'd be interested in that psychedelia type era), he got a TON of bad press, and some space and distance from that can only be a good thing for the box. That's not a politically-driven opinion of mine, it's a simple fact and not debatable.  

If the FF box had come out the week after that Trump fundraiser show, the press coverage the box would get would have been a different thing entirely than it will be 6 months from now, there is no doubt in my mind of that.  People won't completely forget Mike's actions 6 months from now, and his reputation won't magically become great, but the Trump/ "BBs" association and level of vitriol over that will almost certainly become less of an acute thing. Now all Mike's gotta do between today and the release of FF is just stop himself from doing a crap collab called "Shitty Blues" with Eric Clapton and Van Morrison.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 06:33:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: December 22, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »

I personally think its baffling that capitol haven't even put out a press release to acknowledge the box sets existence. Thats usually done a good few months before hand to build up some excitement.  Then again it is Capitol records and they're not great at marketing or promotion

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 23, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »

I suppose that they simply haven't settled on a definitive release date and that's why there hasn't been any sort of promotion until now. It will come.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: December 23, 2020, 08:36:15 AM »

I personally think its baffling that capitol haven't even put out a press release to acknowledge the box sets existence. Thats usually done a good few months before hand to build up some excitement.  Then again it is Capitol records and they're not great at marketing or promotion
Seems pretty industry standard to me.  I can think of many releases that were only announced 8 weeks out.  You'd think with social media available they could create a buzz long before something is slated to come out.  Kind of like... oh I don't know - The Beatles Get Back? 

In other news King Crimson dropped the complete sessions for their Lizard album from 1970 this week.  They said they had to do it to renew the copyrights after 50 years.  They released a 26 CD mega box for their debut album and 1969 concerts recently, and dumped the entire sessions for their two 1970 albums.  Come on BB - your 1969-70 material is next. Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 23, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »

And this is what I said last page. Howies  updates have been great, but they do not qualify as an ‘announcement’. The Beatles ‘Get Back’ also has no release date, but Peter Jackson raises the interest level of the project with a teaser. Just saying.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: December 23, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »

Can I suggest to those marketing this boxset to actually come out and make an announcement. If it is left until next year it is likely to be swamped by this...The Beatles ‘Get Back’ movie and inevitable soundtrack.

Sneak peak released yesterday. It’s going to be BIG!

https://youtu.be/UocEGvQ10OE

LOL Like an announcement now will matter if Feel Flows is coming out in say May.  I am sure they want to wait until the magazine covers and interviews are ready, as well as other promotional things going on at once.  You just want an announcement because you can't wait for news! Cheesy And I wouldn't disagree with you - what harm can an announcement bring now?  But we already have had an announcement - Howie says it's coming out soon.  Yes, Get Back will be huge.  But what's the alternative - release it a year later?  What if they release Rubber Soul and Revolver boxsets (which are likely coming soon thereafter)?  The BB will be fine.

I could easily see the reason (if not THE reason, then perhaps A reason, one of several different reasons) why the box is getting pushed out 6+ months into the new year could be to distance Mike's 2020 actions and Trump/"BBs" brand commingling in the public's minds with some time passing.

This includes, in my estimation, why there's no marketing happening in an official capacity at this point right now. Those marketing folks KNOW that they want to get the FF box some space from those events; marketing people may drop the ball sometimes, but they're also well aware of Mike's reputation and the brand name taking a beating this year. All a marketing person has to do is simply see what happens in the comments the moment there's a Beach Boys post on social media by any major news outlet.  It's not rocket science, and the marketing person can be of marginal talent to see this clearly. It'd be obvious even to an unpaid marketing intern.  

Whether or not someone reading this messageboard likes Trump or despises him, the fact is that Mike got a TON of pushback from fans (particularly the type of fans who'd be most interested in a '70-'71 era box set, and the type of music publications who'd be interested in that psychedelia type era), he got a TON of bad press, and some space and distance from that can only be a good thing for the box. That's not a politically-driven opinion of mine, it's a simple fact and not debatable.  

If the FF box had come out the week after that Trump fundraiser show, the press coverage the box would get would have been a different thing entirely than it will be 6 months from now, there is no doubt in my mind of that.  People won't completely forget Mike's actions 6 months from now, and his reputation won't magically become great, but the Trump/ "BBs" association and level of vitriol over that will almost certainly become less of an acute thing. Now all Mike's gotta do between today and the release of FF is just stop himself from doing a crap collab called "Shitty Blues" with Eric Clapton and Van Morrison.

While I hear what you are saying, the buyers of this project are more than aware of this years  events and like me see the bigger picture. Personally, the decisions of one band member in 2020 will not influence me buying a group product that’s 50 years old. Point taken about attracting newer interest though.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2781 on: December 23, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »

A Beatles project is on a whole different level and scale compared to a BB project. Apple operates on every level very differently than BRI and the BBs.

Sure, as I said long ago, if a BB set can come out when there *isn't* also a Beatles project grabbing attention in the music mags and whatnot, that would be nice as far as getting extra attention on a BB release.

But a BB release largely won't be significantly negatively impacted by a Beatles set. We don't even know what form the Beatles project will take. It may be a film hitting theaters first, and even that's up on the air considering the state of movie theaters.

The BB set is moving along, with some huge roadblocks now miraculously cleared. I think all of these bands and entities should be getting stuff out faster when their fans are literally dying off. But having said that, everybody is doing everything they can now on this BB set and at this point a little more patience will pay off. Howie, Alan, and Mark are making this thing happen (with fan support); I strongly suspect had another team been in place, the set would have died on the vine long ago.

I'm not into cheerleading the fans or anything, but keep in mind that the fans *did* help get this set back on track. We just have to view our patience and support as the next step in helping this set happen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: December 23, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »

Are we expecting any digital Xmas presents tomorrow (25th, Friday)?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:23:38 PM by thetojo » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2783 on: December 23, 2020, 08:06:54 PM »

You mean, the day AFTER tomorrow?  Smiley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: December 23, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »

You mean, the day AFTER tomorrow?  Smiley

Well it depends where in the world you are, doesn't it.   Wink
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:17:18 PM by thetojo » Logged
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: December 23, 2020, 10:35:13 PM »

Somebody asked if The Beach Boys were ever filmed as The Beatles were for Get Back.  Well...  David Oppenheim filmed the Boys during The SMiLE sessions!  What a shame that the complete footage has never been found!  Or even the sound recordings!

Someone else asked why Capitol hasn't put out any teasers for Feel Flows.  Well... in the newly released video for "Little Saint Nick" there is an Easter Egg with "Feel Flows" written on a surfboard!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: December 24, 2020, 05:46:05 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:02:22 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2787 on: December 24, 2020, 06:03:17 AM »

Somebody asked if The Beach Boys were ever filmed as The Beatles were for Get Back.  Well...  David Oppenheim filmed the Boys during The SMiLE sessions!  What a shame that the complete footage has never been found!  Or even the sound recordings!

Someone else asked why Capitol hasn't put out any teasers for Feel Flows.  Well... in the newly released video for "Little Saint Nick" there is an Easter Egg with "Feel Flows" written on a surfboard!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

Easter egg...or stocking stuffer?  Smiley EDIT: given the timeline, Easter egg does make more sense. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:03:58 AM by c-man » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: December 24, 2020, 07:24:34 AM »

So I guess we've got the Rolling Stones to thank for no more annual copyright releases?
Is it midnight in NZ then?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: December 24, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »

What are the best places to look for a possible end of year release - except for this forum of course... 😙
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: December 24, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »

25th here in Aus and nothing  Cry
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2791 on: December 24, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »

... what if this "samples" release *is* the copyright dump release? i.e., only the samples ... which if I understand correctly, would protect the copyrights.

^ I'm starting to think this is in fact, what happened here.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: December 24, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »

I know there aren't many, if any, proper concert recordings in the archives from 1970, but thought there might be one or two.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: December 24, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »

... what if this "samples" release *is* the copyright dump release? i.e., only the samples ... which if I understand correctly, would protect the copyrights.

^ I'm starting to think this is in fact, what happened here.

Agreed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2794 on: December 24, 2020, 09:23:05 PM »

I’m almost certain that was the case. We’re still getting the set so no biggie imho.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: December 25, 2020, 09:53:27 PM »

OK, I haven't been here for a while, I'm scrolling backwards here trying to find info but it's an endless process and I'm losing patience. I heard the incredible samples on AllMusic a couple of weeks ago but apparently they were taken down or something, from the one comment I've seen, plus they were just samples, amazing as some of them were. The Surf's Up alternate or whatever was fantastic, as were quite a few others.

Can someone briefly summarize what the latest is regarding the new boxset or copyright extension release?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: December 25, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »

Feel Flows set to come out in 2021 says Howie (and he seemed pretty positive so we can probs be cautiously optimistic that it won't be a slimmed down version). Looks like there's no 2020 copyright release, however, as it should have come out on the 25th if it was going to.
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: December 26, 2020, 06:27:13 AM »

Obviously Feel Flows likely coming out in some capacity is great news. I do worry that this bodes poorly for future Copyright Extension releases.

The Sunflower and Surf's Up period has some degree of commercial and critical appeal. But what about things like Holland, Beach Boys In Concert, and Brian's Back? And what about things like So Tough, the Caribou recordings, and things after Love You? Will there be less of an incentive to release further sets that are less viable knowing what qualifies under the copyright law?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: December 26, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »

Obviously Feel Flows likely coming out in some capacity is great news. I do worry that this bodes poorly for future Copyright Extension releases.

The Sunflower and Surf's Up period has some degree of commercial and critical appeal. But what about things like Holland, Beach Boys In Concert, and Brian's Back? And what about things like So Tough, the Caribou recordings, and things after Love You? Will there be less of an incentive to release further sets that are less viable knowing what qualifies under the copyright law?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think we have to worry about that. Mark Linett and Alan Boyd have talked about wanting to do a Brian Is Back box. I thought the idea of an In Concert box was discussed too, and every other era would probably be done just though CE drops because of the limited demand outside us hardcore fans.

Edited to fix a typo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:23:11 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: December 26, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:02:36 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx