gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:41:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841709 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: November 25, 2020, 05:35:39 PM »

I just did another interview for the project with Brian on Friday.
Brian knows all about Feel Flows.

Good to hear, Howie. I figure Brian's response to the FF question is just another of his put-ons.

It'll all make for a great article down the road apiece: "Hitch-hiking with Godot: The FEEL FLOWS Story"...  3D

The shaker on "All I Wanna Do" is kinda like the cowbell on "Slip On Through" - the source instrument was not used in a way that is typical, before or since. The cowbell on "Slip On Through" brings to mind the sound of rhythmic crickets or grasshoppers IMO. Which is tbh a genius production move from Dennis, considering the lyrical content ... puts one in mind of the "place" the song inhabits occurring late at night, and also implies the protagonist waiting impatiently for some type of response from the subject of his affections.

Stephen Desper called it "the big cricket." I'm curious about its genesis...is it on the track from the get-go or was it added later in the production process?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2626 on: November 25, 2020, 06:04:33 PM »

Stephen Desper called it "the big cricket." I'm curious about its genesis...is it on the track from the get-go or was it added later in the production process?

It was added later...but, there is also a cowbell on the original, previously unreleased track recorded at Gold Star three months or so before the final version.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2627 on: November 25, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »

I remember being at a live Q&A with Brian where he said he'd never heard POB before. I think it's kinda cool that whoever is typing for him is writing exactly what he says.

In his book a few years ago, he explained that he definitely heard *the material* on Pacific Ocean Blue, because he had heard it in various incarnations and evolutions over the years that Dennis was working on it. Basically, he just never sat down and *listened to* POB.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:45:14 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: November 25, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »

I remember being at a live Q&A with Brian where he said he'd never heard POB before. I think it's kinda cool that whoever is typing for him is writing exactly what he says.

In his book a few years ago, he explained that he definitely heard *the material* on Pacific Ocean Blue, because he had heard it in various incarnations and evolutions over the years that Dennis was working on it. Basically, he just never sat down and *listened to* POB.

That's plausible.
Let's face it.    It's neither the end of the world nor really all that surprising if Brian never sat down and spent 40 straight minutes listening to POB.   We're fans. They're not.  It's a job for them.  Maybe Brian is going to listen to a Rubber Soul or a Spector Christmas album all the way through because he's a fan.  But was Denny's music really his cup of tea?  And it wouldn't surprise me if there were some BB albums that Denny never listened to all the way through.  Ditto Mike Love.   Heck, remember that Gold Mine interview from 1992 in which the interviewers complimented ML on the BBs' Capitol two-fer CDs which had been out a full 2 years at that point, and Mike had no idea what they were talking about.  Hadn't seen 'em, hadn't heard of them, didn't care.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:46:47 PM by juggler » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2629 on: November 26, 2020, 01:46:52 AM »

Yeah, they did confirm someone else does the typing. Just think it's cool that they write exactly what he says rather than saying no Brian, you do know what Feel Flows is about.

I guess that makes sense that he might never have listened to POB from start to finish. He just talks about what he is comfortable with unless he is really at ease with someone he knows I guess.

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: November 26, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »

I am sure it's a longshot, but I think it would be very cool to have Desper's book included with Feel Flows.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: November 26, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »

SWD's book... And a vinyl copy of the original matrix mix to vindicate the innovation 50 years ago.

Watch out for snakes!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: November 27, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »

SWD's book... And a vinyl copy of the original matrix mix to vindicate the innovation 50 years ago.

Or, you know, a way to actually listen to it in quad - I'm thinking a 5.1 mix, sans center and bass channels, on BluRay - we all want cool stuff, whether it's even a remote possibility or not is another matter.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2633 on: November 27, 2020, 11:27:47 PM »

And Brian to hand deliver the set directly to me....we’ll make lasagna that night 😂

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: November 28, 2020, 06:59:41 AM »

"....we’ll make lasagna that night"

plus bring matzo-ball soup
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: November 28, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

"....we’ll make lasagna that night"

plus bring matzo-ball soup
and cheese pizza
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: November 28, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »

with Reddi-Wip
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2637 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:55 PM »

While watching Norbit.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2638 on: November 28, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »

And listening to "Da Doo Ron Ron" now.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2639 on: November 28, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »

and WAIT YOUR goshdarn TURN.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: November 30, 2020, 09:24:41 AM »

Or, you know, a way to actually listen to it in quad - I'm thinking a 5.1 mix, sans center and bass channels, on BluRay - we all want cool stuff, whether it's even a remote possibility or not is another matter.

The Analogue Productions SACD of both Sunflower and Surf's Up decodes with a surround sound processor to surround sound.  It's not a Desper matrix decoder, and the Desper matrix was not designed to decode into 4.0 (let alone 5.1), but because at the time in both the promotional materials included with the albums and in the press the albums were reported to be quadrophonic compatible, AP put in a surround sound option.  Stephen wasn't happy about it but when he found out why they had done it, he understood even though he didn't really approve.  It's not a discrete 4.0 but it is "surround."
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: November 30, 2020, 09:25:14 AM »

The Analogue Productions SACD of both Sunflower and Surf's Up decodes with a surround sound processor to surround sound.  It's not a Desper matrix decoder, and the Desper matrix was not designed to decode into 4.0 (let alone 5.1), but because at the time in both the promotional materials included with the albums and in the press the albums were reported to be quadrophonic compatible, AP put in a surround sound option.  Stephen wasn't happy about it but when he found out why they had done it, he understood even though he didn't really approve.  It's not a discrete 4.0 but it is "surround."
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: November 30, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »

Sorry for the double post
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: November 30, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »

It does seem like quite a shame that Stephen wasn't more involved with the FF set (unless I'm mistaken?). I can only imagine politics are part of that, although maybe there will be some interviews with him. It definitely seems like he became the 7th member of the band at that time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:01:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: November 30, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »

I assume he was interviewed for the liner notes to the set?  I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t be.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: November 30, 2020, 05:34:11 PM »

The Analogue Productions SACD of both Sunflower and Surf's Up decodes with a surround sound processor to surround sound.  It's not a Desper matrix decoder, and the Desper matrix was not designed to decode into 4.0 (let alone 5.1), but because at the time in both the promotional materials included with the albums and in the press the albums were reported to be quadrophonic compatible, AP put in a surround sound option.  Stephen wasn't happy about it but when he found out why they had done it, he understood even though he didn't really approve.  It's not a discrete 4.0 but it is "surround."

I suppose I'll ask then, is there any reason that the output of the quad decode - the proper matrix - could not be released as discrete 4.0?

I had assumed that there would be no technical difficulty with this.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: November 30, 2020, 06:59:58 PM »

We’ve discussed this before but there are old interviews floating around where Brian discussed listening to POB and liking it.  Why he now claims never to have heard it.,...he’s younger than that now...
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: November 30, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »

I suppose I'll ask then, is there any reason that the output of the quad decode - the proper matrix - could not be released as discrete 4.0?

I had assumed that there would be no technical difficulty with this.

My understanding - and Stephen should really chime in on this - is that despite press releases saying that Sunflower and Surfs Up were quad encoded/compatible, in fact Stephen’s matrix was never a 4.0 quad matrix and so can’t be decoded to a true 4.O by any of the decoding algorithms used then or now.  AP has done the best they can do with what is encoded on the master tapes.  A new matrix would have to be made to get true “quad” and of course a new discrete 5.1 or 7.1 would be the best course if they want to release a surround mix.  Or they could manufacture lots of Stephen’s decoder devices and we could hear it the way he intended. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: November 30, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »

My understanding is that he, at the time, demonstrated that it was possible to press a vinyl record with the decoded matrix that would play on any stereo phonograph (hence my comment earlier; it's an entirely reasonable item to include in a deluxe boxed set). The record company wasn't interested in the novelty/innovation, and so it went.

I'm going from memory but I recall the "surround" mix was never meant o to be anything beyond stereo (only two speakers necessary), as mentioned above. That's why the unsanctioned 4.0 release on the SACD was not welcomed by SWD. What he has expressed over the years is the desire to see what he (and Carl) created to be released as originally intended.

I'm sure I could find direct quotes in Honored Guest thread but I won't bother since it's a pain to do using a phone.

Watch out for snakes!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 02, 2020, 12:26:56 PM »

Well now I'm more confused - and, admittedly, I have not gone to the honored guests thread -

If you can send a signal to 4 speakers, surely you can record that signal (output) and then press that as 4 discrete channels on any medium that stores more than 4 channels.

What am I missing?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:28:32 PM by thetojo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx