gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841547 times)
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 24, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »

So when I saw the AllMusic page, I knew it would eventually get taken down, so I went to make sure someone had saved it in the Internet Archive (someone did).

Now that's gone too: https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.allmusic.com/album/1970-release-mw0003450792

Capitol reeeeeally wanted this memory-holed.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 24, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »

I loved hearing all the clips.

And I love the speculation of how this and many other things will fit into the box set.

I, for one, though, keep holding a thought in the back of my mind, namely this...

Remember... early in the year Endless Summer Quarterly said there was going to be a 5 disc set covering "Sunflower" and "Feel Flows"...  BUT... Howie came here and said the description in ESQ wasn't anywhere close to what the project really was!

So I keep hoping that there's a LOT MORE than 5 discs in this box set!  And for 5 discs (which is a lot!) to be off by "that" much it seems to me the set has to be at least 7 discs, and probably more!  Maybe even a video disc?

Just food for thought, that I'm surprised no one has really speculated on before!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:02:22 AM by Dan Lega » Logged
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 24, 2020, 09:01:43 AM »

Also, I'm really glad that we have a tentative release date.  But May or June 2021?

Why can't it be sooner?  I find it depressing that we still have to wait that long for it.

I mean, wasn't it supposed to come out last February with almost no fanfare?  Why can't they put it out this year with no fanfare?

Alright, maybe lots of "fanfare" had been planned before last February, but since the release date had been derailed none of the fanfare was put forth.  Still, how much fanfare do you need for this?  Especially in this day and age when brick and mortar shops are almost all but gone?  Do we really need 7 or 8 months of anticipation for it to come out?  Didn't someone say the Elvis and Elton John box sets were only announced a few months in advance?  Why can't this come out in December or January; or February at the latest?

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 24, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »

Why can't it be sooner?  I find it depressing that we still have to wait that long for it.

Alright, maybe lots of "fanfare" had been planned before last February, but since the release date had been derailed none of the fanfare was put forth.  Still, how much fanfare do you need for this?  Especially in this day and age when brick and mortar shops are almost all but gone?  Do we really need 7 or 8 months of anticipation for it to come out?  Didn't someone say the Elvis and Elton John box sets were only announced a few months in advance?  Why can't this come out in December or January; or February at the latest?

You're conflating "announced" with "already in production." Pressing and printing physical box sets takes time, and when you're under a global pandemic, things slow down even more. Everyone has to be in agreement before production gets to go forward. If you want someone to blame, it's whoever slowed down the decision making process and dragged their feet in signing off (cough cough Mike cough).
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 24, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »

Still on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6570o9dAr4Q
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:24:25 AM by chrism1971 » Logged
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: November 24, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »

Why can't it be sooner?  I find it depressing that we still have to wait that long for it.

Alright, maybe lots of "fanfare" had been planned before last February, but since the release date had been derailed none of the fanfare was put forth.  Still, how much fanfare do you need for this?  Especially in this day and age when brick and mortar shops are almost all but gone?  Do we really need 7 or 8 months of anticipation for it to come out?  Didn't someone say the Elvis and Elton John box sets were only announced a few months in advance?  Why can't this come out in December or January; or February at the latest?

You're conflating "announced" with "already in production." Pressing and printing physical box sets takes time, and when you're under a global pandemic, things slow down even more. Everyone has to be in agreement before production gets to go forward. If you want someone to blame, it's whoever slowed down the decision making process and dragged their feet in signing off (cough cough Mike cough).

My understanding was the set was already finalized and it only needed to be manufactured.  So now that we have the go ahead and nothing apparently is going to be changed, just send the specs to the manufacturers and get it made!  How long can that take?  Okay, yes, with the pandemic it probably will take longer than usual.  And I guess there could be changes that are going to be made, but if Howie says it's "thriving" and "nobody will be disappointed" I took that to mean nothing was changed.

So give it to me in a couple months!  Please?  Pretty please?  Pretty please with sugar on top?   Cry

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:35:47 AM by Dan Lega » Logged
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 24, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »

My understanding was the set was already finalized and it only needed to be manufactured.  So now that we have the go ahead and nothing apparently is going to be changed, just send the specs to the manufacturers and get it made!  How long can that take?  Okay, yes, with the pandemic it probably will take longer than usual.  And I guess there could be changes that are going to be made, but if Howie says it's "thriving" and "nobody will be disappointed" I took that to mean nothing was changed.

My dude, it's just not that simple. You don't just get the OK and make 2,000 copies of a multi-disc box set with a printed booklet. You make a handful, then everyone again has to sign off on them. If there's issues with the pressed CDs or the printings, they need to be fixed. Then they get fixed and get inspected again. You'll be sorely disappointed if you get your box set in 2 months and half the discs don't work.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2582 on: November 24, 2020, 10:34:58 AM »

Yep. Remember the brouhaha when the tracking on that one disc on Made in California was off by half a second?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 24, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »

Yep. Remember the brouhaha when the tracking on that one disc on Made in California was off by half a second?

oh god, yes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: November 24, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »

oh god, yes.

Makes me wonder if any sort of final QC was performed on the MIC master before that slipped out into the hands of the public. I'm guessing somebody screwed up big-time behind the scenes with that one. I got a disc replacement myself.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2585 on: November 24, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »

Brian was asked about the boxed set on the live Q&A he's doing on Facebook. His response? "Feel Flows I don't know about that"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 24, 2020, 12:38:10 PM »

Brian was asked about the boxed set on the live Q&A he's doing on Facebook. His response? "Feel Flows I don't know about that"

Translation : all of his cousin's FF-related antics are stressful to even think about, so he'd rather just avoid the question
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 24, 2020, 01:13:01 PM »

For those of you longing for more live shows to be in the FF set we're pretty much 100% to get the Monterey Big Sur music festival show from 1970 but what are the other possibilities? 1971 there was the Good Vibrations from Central Park show from which the footage and isolated vocal of Dennis sing Forever which was used during the C50 tour plus the set includes Okie which was one of the copyright tracks flagged on You Tube so we might get that set. Also there is the Beach Boys set with the Grateful Dead. What else is out there suitable for release?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:13:46 PM by TonyW » Logged
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 24, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »

I'm dying for a release of the Concert in Central Park!  That's probably my Holy Grail in the concert area.

I'm also super-super-stoked for finally getting a real release of "My Solution"!  I love that track.  It's both hilarious and genius!

I didn't watch Brian on Facebook, but I doubt the reason he said he didn't know anything about it is not because of Mike, but because of either...

1)  He didn't recognize the name of the box set.  Maybe if they had described it as a box set with Sunflower and Surf's Up albums on it he might have known what they were talking about?

2)  It's been months upon months, and almost certainly more than a year (or two?) since he was asked to give an interview for the box set, so maybe he's forgotten about it mostly, and maybe someone else has been doing most of the legal finagling for him on whether it should come out or not?

Also, I heard from a reliable source that the box set is going to be 5 discs only.  So my speculation that it would be more than that  is not going to be fulfilled.  Darn it!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2589 on: November 24, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »

For those of you longing for more live shows to be in the FF set we're pretty much 100% to get the Monterey Big Sur music festival show from 1970 but what are the other possibilities? 1971 there was the Good Vibrations from Central Park show from which the footage and isolated vocal of Dennis sing Forever which was used during the C50 tour plus the set includes Okie which was one of the copyright tracks flagged on You Tube so we might get that set. Also there is the Beach Boys set with the Grateful Dead. What else is out there suitable for release?

The isolated Dennis vocal on "Forever" on C50 was taken from the studio recording. They just used some '71 Central Park footage.

I don't think any multis exist for the Central Park show. In fact, I don't think even the full raw videotape footage exists of the full show. If you look at "Endless Harmony", the footage looks markedly *worse* than it does in "An American Band", implying that even the master tape for the aired segment went astray in the intervening years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2590 on: November 24, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »

Also, I'm really glad that we have a tentative release date.  But May or June 2021?

I mean, wasn't it supposed to come out last February with almost no fanfare?  Why can't they put it out this year with no fanfare?

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

It was, as seen here, relatively recently that this set, amazingly, got back on track and got momentum again.

There are a number of reasons that that late date on which the set got back on track would dictate that this thing could not make it out in full physical form in mere weeks/a month or two.

Nobody is more of the mind of "put this stuff out before we're all dead" than me; I can't tell you how many die-hard Beatles fans have died over the last decades waiting for a friggin' "Let It Be" DVD. But it's a small miracle (or more than a small one!) that "Feel Flows" is hopefully back on track. Let's all try to stick it out and survive until then....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: November 24, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

It was, as seen here, relatively recently that this set, amazingly, got back on track and got momentum again.

There are a number of reasons that that late date on which the set got back on track would dictate that this thing could not make it out in full physical form in mere weeks/a month or two.

Nobody is more of the mind of "put this stuff out before we're all dead" than me; I can't tell you how many die-hard Beatles fans have died over the last decades waiting for a friggin' "Let It Be" DVD. But it's a small miracle (or more than a small one!) that "Feel Flows" is hopefully back on track. Let's all try to stick it out and survive until then....

Just listening with headphones to the 1970 samples that Elora graciously uploaded put me in a totally blissed out, ASMR state of happiness and made me forget about 2020 for a brief moment. The healing power of music. This band has that like no other band. For that reason alone it's quite a shame that this release didn't happen in this year to help fans get through the tough times, but thank goodness a release apparently is going to happen at all.❤️
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 24, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »

It was 2 seconds, and you can bet I got my replacement!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 24, 2020, 02:21:28 PM »

I didn't watch Brian on Facebook, but I doubt the reason he said he didn't know anything about it is not because of Mike, but because of either...

1)  He didn't recognize the name of the box set.  Maybe if they had described it as a box set with Sunflower and Surf's Up albums on it he might have known what they were talking about?

2)  It's been months upon months, and almost certainly more than a year (or two?) since he was asked to give an interview for the box set, so maybe he's forgotten about it mostly, and maybe someone else has been doing most of the legal finagling for him on whether it should come out or not?

There's also a third option: Perhaps because the set hasn't been officially announced yet, Brian isn't sure yet if he's allowed to say anything about it and therefore he opted to err on the side of caution and claim he doesn't know anything about it. He did the same thing in early 2011 with the 50th reunion/TWGMTR, whereby whenever the press asked him any questions about a possible reunion his answers were that of “I have no interest in a reunion, I want to continue my solo career” or something along those lines.

Later we found out those were lies he purposefully fed to the press and that a reunion had been in the works for at least a year or two prior. I remember after the reunion album and tour were announced he expressed relief in one interview about how he was thankful that he didn’t have to remain tight-lipped about it anymore.

Also, I doubt this was in any way intentional, but you gotta love how Al literally said that "everyone knows about" the Feel Flows box set on Billy Hinche's Facebook show a few days ago, and only days later when asked about it Brian says "I don't know anything about that."  LOL
FlowsOfFeeling
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: November 24, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »

I think the Big Sur show is the only one of those you mentioned that has to be released but I could be wrong. On an unrelated note, the set with the Dead is out there in pretty good quality and I doubt it would ever see, or need, an official release.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: November 24, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »

And now gone from youtube too!

Edit: now here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZcSn-Ybjw
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:39:37 PM by harveyw » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 24, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »

Some of Brian's answers in today's Q&A suggest that there was a disconnect between the moderator picking a question for Brian to answer and Brian's actual answer. I think they were communicating verbally to one other, and that Brian wasn't reading the questions on his screen. Not that I blame him, I had a hard time trying to scroll through 1000+ questions to find the ones he answered. The new FB design is not user-friendly and eats up considerable computer memory.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2597 on: November 24, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »

Translation : all of his cousin's FF-related antics are stressful to even think about, so he'd rather just avoid the question

Translation: Brian didn't want to give more than 3 word answers to any questions.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »

Translation: Brian didn't want to give more than 3 word answers to any questions.
Translation: That you, Mike? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:11:09 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »

That may be true also. Brian could also say "yes, coming soon" as a brief response if he wanted to. But if Mike was behind shenanigans - as has been said by insiders who would know - do you think Brian *wants* to open the door to a discussion that could lead to somebody asking him about said shenanigans? He probably wanted to change the subject just like for decades he wanted to change the subject about Smile, because it had become an uncomfortable thing for him to get into. Same with when Brian was once asked about POB, and he pretended to be unaware of it.  Tough to talk about his brother Denny for any number of reasons, especially if Brian is having an off day, so easier to just brush it off and move on.

Hopefully this set's release can transform into good vibrations for Brian from here on out, but I'm sure for a while there behind the scenes, this set and the holdup and attempted thwarting of content must have been somewhat stressful, and it's far from the first time Brian has had to deal with that BS due to that same reason throughout his career.

Do I think Brian is staying up at night tossing and turning over this box? Probably not. He's probably hesitant to put too much of a emotional investment into thinking and worrying about something that could wind up having disappointment as the final result, and it's that sad pattern that he has developed as a defense mechanism because of the release of his art being screwed with by others so much over the years.  I don't think Brian's emotional mental health and well-being is ever a remote consideration for Mike when Mike goes on his ego trips. Does anyone really think this is an incorrect assumption?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:22:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx