gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:41:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841809 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: November 23, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

Would be great if Howie or somebody in the know could tell us what the Allmusic release actually is

It's most likely the projected tracklist for Feel Flows as it's highly doubtful that this is a separate project.  Although that would be pretty sweet. 
Feel Flows is expected to be 5 discs with a lot more material on it than this.  Sounds like the concert that will be included Al alluded to is from the Big Sur Folk Festival.

That was my first guess when I first heard Al talk about it (self-congratulatory smile on face)
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: November 23, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »

I was just listening to the basic track of All I Wanna Do on those samples. Does anyone else think the drums on that might be an early drum machine? C-Man, do you know one way or another?

Hal Blaine was hired for the session, so it's at least partially live drums.  While they were using the Rhythm King as a drum machine for several tracks, (Til I Die, HELP, Lady, etc) I think this is just an example of live drumming sounding very mechanical.  But I haven't heard the session tape, so C-man will know for sure.

Thanks for the reply! Certainly if anyone would be capable of being that metronomic, it'd be Hal.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:43:28 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: November 23, 2020, 12:54:30 PM »

Would be great if Howie or somebody in the know could tell us what the Allmusic release actually is

It's most likely the projected tracklist for Feel Flows as it's highly doubtful that this is a separate project.  Although that would be pretty sweet. 
Feel Flows is expected to be 5 discs with a lot more material on it than this.  Sounds like the concert that will be included Al alluded to is from the Big Sur Folk Festival.

That was my first guess when I first heard Al talk about it (self-congratulatory smile on face)

Bug Sur sure is a great show, there has for many years a boot doing the rounds of 50/50 soundboard & audience recording (in not the greatest quality)- Be great to have it in all its glory, 'Aren't You Glad' really cooks
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 23, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »

One thing that is interesting about this 1970 release (samples) is that the only song I have not previously heard here is You Never Give Me Your Money. There is no other "outtake" here which has remained out of public hearing.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. The tapes from this year (1970) have been mined/leaked to such an extent that there is not a single song that we didn't know about still in the archives.

2. There will still have to be a small copyright dump prior to Christmas to protect a few other things.

Any thoughts?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2554 on: November 23, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »

I was just listening to the basic track of All I Wanna Do on those samples. Does anyone else think the drums on that might be an early drum machine? C-Man, do you know one way or another?

Definitely not; those are real drums. No drum machine could sound like that in 1969. The Rhythm King can be heard on tracks like "Lady", "'Til I Die", and "Big Sur", but is (to my ears) augmented by additional percussion in most cases. The original intro to "Lady" sounds like the raw Rhythm King, for example.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 23, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »

One thing that is interesting about this 1970 release (samples) is that the only song I have not previously heard here is You Never Give Me Your Money. There is no other "outtake" here which has remained out of public hearing.

1. The tapes from this year (1970) have been mined/leaked to such an extent that there is not a single song that we didn't know about still in the archives.

2. There will still have to be a small copyright dump prior to Christmas to protect a few other things.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I find it hard to believe everything from the Sunflower/Surfs up era has been booted but we shall see

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2556 on: November 23, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »

Near identical thing for George Harrison from a couple of weeks beforehand, which isn't promising: https://www.allmusic.com/album/-1970--mw0003450793

And also a 1969 sessions album, incorrectly tagged as a single: https://www.allmusic.com/album/1969-sessions-mw0003346157

Wow, so this is definitely a thing then.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these tracks on the Beach Boys "1970 Release" will pop up on Feel Flows though.  Oddly enough according to allmusic.com this thing was "released" on 11/16.  I'm not seeing it anywhere though to listen to. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2557 on: November 23, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »

... what if this "samples" release *is* the copyright dump release? i.e., only the samples ... which if I understand correctly, would protect the copyrights.

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 23, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »

Any thoughts?
There's another possibility: The vast majority of the beach boys' recordings in 1969-1971 are well documented and have already been heard. The band released what they felt was the best stuff from this era on Sunflower and Surf's Up, then again on various albums throughout the 70s, then even more so on box sets and compilations throughout the years. Think about how much stuff from this era was later released or bootlegged. HELP, Games Two Can Play, I Just Got My Pay, Soulful Old Man Sunshine, San Miguel, My Solution, Big Sur, Where is She, Loop de Loop, Good Time, When Girls Get Together, Seasons in the Sun, Back Home (various versions), Sweet and Bitter, Big Sur, 4th of July, Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again, Barbara, and I still probably haven't named them all. This isn't even considering anything that was released at the time. Even then, there are other things here that some of us have heard, like Happy Birthday Brian and Til I Die demo, but that have not been widely bootlegged. I highly doubt there are any huge surprises waiting for us like there were on the 1968 sets. The Friends / 2020 era wasn't really mined like the Sunflower / Surf's Up era was, probably because the songs from that period that showed up on the 2018 releases were mostly unfinished. I also don't see the purpose of this release if they are going to need yet another pre-Feel Flows digital EP for other completely unheard and unknown songs.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 23, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »

... what if this "samples" release *is* the copyright dump release? i.e., only the samples ... which if I understand correctly, would protect the copyrights.

Ding ding ding. That’s making the most sense to me right now.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 23, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

Any thoughts?
There's another possibility: The vast majority of the beach boys' recordings in 1969-1971 are well documented and have already been heard. The band released what they felt was the best stuff from this era on Sunflower and Surf's Up, then again on various albums throughout the 70s, then even more so on box sets and compilations throughout the years. Think about how much stuff from this era was later released or bootlegged. HELP, Games Two Can Play, I Just Got My Pay, Soulful Old Man Sunshine, San Miguel, My Solution, Big Sur, Where is She, Loop de Loop, Good Time, When Girls Get Together, Seasons in the Sun, Back Home (various versions), Sweet and Bitter, Big Sur, 4th of July, Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again, Barbara, and I still probably haven't named them all. This isn't even considering anything that was released at the time. Even then, there are other things here that some of us have heard, like Happy Birthday Brian and Til I Die demo, but that have not been widely bootlegged. I highly doubt there are any huge surprises waiting for us like there were on the 1968 sets. The Friends / 2020 era wasn't really mined like the Sunflower / Surf's Up era was, probably because the songs from that period that showed up on the 2018 releases were mostly unfinished. I also don't see the purpose of this release if they are going to need yet another pre-Feel Flows digital EP for other completely unheard and unknown songs.

Not wanting to create a fight here, but I'd say you've merely described in detail my no.1 above, which I described in brief.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 23, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »

Ding ding ding. That’s making the most sense to me right now.
I've said this elsewhere, but why would they put in effort to include a ton of alternates of released songs from both albums, plus material from 1969 and 1971? Realistically, they only needed to upload 2-3 of these (or maybe 4) in order to protect the copyright.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 23, 2020, 03:28:33 PM »

Any thoughts?

Not wanting to create a fight here, but I'd say you've merely described in detail my no.1 above, which I described in brief.
Oh perfect, I must've misread. I think that has to be the case - surely if they had found unheard tracks from 1970, they would've been included here, as all the significant unreleased 1970 tracks are included as completed versions (Big Sur, My Solution, Seasons in the Sun).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2563 on: November 23, 2020, 05:24:56 PM »

Definitely not; those are real drums. No drum machine could sound like that in 1969. The Rhythm King can be heard on tracks like "Lady", "'Til I Die", and "Big Sur", but is (to my ears) augmented by additional percussion in most cases. The original intro to "Lady" sounds like the raw Rhythm King, for example.

Yeah, it's Hal Blaine on drums and Gene Estes playing a shaker.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 23, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »

Yeah, I see your point. Drum machine technology wasn't yet making such realistic-sounding snare sounds, for instance.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2565 on: November 23, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »

Any thoughts?
As a rebuff to no. 2 I have not heard much of these outtakes. Yeah I've heard the usual, but these mixes will no doubt sound much better. LOVE the alt outtake don't go near the water.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 23, 2020, 05:40:45 PM »

I noticed that the sound clip of Sweet and Bitter sounded quite a bit different to the version we've all heard.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 23, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »

Is this new timeline setting up a Beach Boys vs Beatles battle again? Feel Flows box versus revised Let it Be film?
Mr. Wilson Joliet
« Reply #2568 on: November 23, 2020, 07:57:47 PM »

Warning: this is the first of two wall-of-text posts incoming.

The allmusic link to 1970 Release doesn't work for me anymore, as it just redirects somewhere else, but the album is still listed in their discography on the site. Anyone else have this problem? https://www.allmusic.com/album/1970-release-mw0003450792

If so, here's the complete list of songs, with proper titles as provided by Elora (presumably gathered from YouTube's auto-generated titles, with some errors and gaps corrected by me where able. The bolded parts are my guesses where no official title could be determined).

Good Time (2019 Mix) 2:56
Carnival (Over the Waves) - Sobra Las Olas 1:34
Susie Cincinnati (2019 Mix) 3:02
I Just Got My Pay (2019 Mix) 2:43
This Whole World (Alternate Ending) 1:41
Add Some Music To Your Day (Alternate Version) 3:27
Our Sweet Love (String Section) 1:00
Slip On Through (Track & Backing Vocals Mix) 2:48
This Whole World (Long Version & Backing Vocals Mix) 3:11
Add Some Music To Your Day (Track & Backing Vocals Mix) 4:35
Deirdre (Backing Track) 3:35
It's About Time (Track & Backing Vocals Mix) 2:53
Tears in the Morning (Track & Backing Vocals) 4:13
All I Wanna Do (Session Intro & Backing Vocals) 3:46
Forever (Sessions Highlights) 3:37
Forever (Track & Backing Vocals) 2:59
Our Sweet Love (Track & Backing Vocals) 2:39
At My Window (Track & Backing Vocals Mix) 2:51
Cool, Cool Water (Alternate Version) 6:26
Loop De Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane) (Backing Track) 2:49
San Miguel (Track & Backing Vocals Mix) 2:59 [also has brief session intro]
Good Time (Session Intro, Track & Backing Vocals) 4:27
When Girls Get Together (Backing Track) 1:51
Susie Cincinnati (Basic Session Highlights) 3:04
Back Home (Demo) 2:23
Slip On Through (Alternate 1969 Mix With Session Intro) 3:25
This Whole World (Backing Vocals Section) 1:05
Add Some Music to Your Day (2019 A Capella) 3:30
Got to Know the Woman (A Capella) 2:55
All I Wanna Do (A Capella) 2:58
Forever (2019 A Capella Mix) 2:52
Sunflower Promo 1:00
Student Demonstration Time 4:02 [presumably a new mix?]
'Til I Die 2:38 [also a new mix?]
Big Sur 2:36
Seasons in the Sun (2019 Mix) 3:30
Sound of Free (1970 Single Mix, 2019 Master) 2:22
Sweet and Bitter (2019 Mix) 2:33
My Solution 3:44
H.E.L.P. Is on the Way (2019 Mix) 2:31
You Never Give Me Your Money 0:40
Don't Go Near the Water (Alternate Version) 2:42
Surf's Up Promo 1:02
Good Time 0:19 [seemingly a "Backing Vocals Section"]
Don't Go Near the Water (Track & Backing Vocals Mix) 3:41
Long Promised Road (Track & Background Vocal Mix) 3:40
Take a Load Off Your Feet (Alternate Vocals Mix) 2:29
Disney Girls (1957) 4:17 [seemingly a "Track & Backing Vocals" mix, but no vocals heard in the preview]
Student Demonstration Time (Track & Backing Vocals) 3:46
Feel Flows (Track & Backing Vocals) 5:02
Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) (Session Intro & Alternate Mix) 2:43
A Day in the Life of a Tree (Track & Backing Vocals) 2:54
Surf's Up, Pt.1 (1971 Remake Track with 1966 Brian Vocal) 1:41
Surf's Up (Brian Wilson Lead Vocal 2019 Mix) 4:08
Feel Flows (Backing Vocals Excerpt) 0:35
Disney Girls 0:36 [seemingly a "Backing Vocals Excerpt"]
Medley: All of My Love/Ecology 5:06
Medley: Happy Birthday, Brian/God Only Knows 2:47
'Til I Die (Piano Demo) 1:56
Riot in Cell Block #9 (Live/1970) 3:31 [from the 1970 Big Sur Folk Festival concert]
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) 2:44 [seemingly an "A Capella" mix]
My Solution (Track & Backing Vocals) 3:43
Sunflower Promo 1:02 [a second promo, only noticeable difference in preview is the inclusion of This Whole World instead of Deirdre]
It's About Time (Backing Vocals Excerpt) 0:50

Also another repost of the link if you want to hear the samples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6570o9dAr4Q
Mr. Wilson Joliet
« Reply #2569 on: November 23, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »

After seeing all the titles just listed, here are some (hypothetical) questions this collection raises for me and other interesting things I noticed (apologies if some of these things have already been asked/answered, just hypothesizing out loud some more):
1. "It's About Time" has Carl added as one of the composers
2. Both "My Solution" and "My Solution (Track & Backing Vocals)" are included, even though only one is needed to protect the copyright. Why include both if this is just a copyright extension digital-only release (if that's what this is)?
3. Is "Cool, Cool Water (Alternate 2019 Mix)" (one of the auto-generated YouTube titles discovered about a month ago) the same as this collection's "Cool, Cool Water (Alternate Version)"?
4. Is there a complete version of "This Whole World (Long Version)" and not just one with backing vocals?
5. "All I Wanna Do (Session Intro & Backing Vocals)" has no mention of a track in the title even though the preview includes what sounds like a basic track. Is that just the session intro or should it be considered a "Track & Backing Vocals" mix?
6. The mix of "Sweet and Bitter" is very stripped down compared to the circulating version, which I believe was said to have been overdubbed some time later. Is the version included here an attempt at an authentic 1970 mix?
7. Is there going to be new mixes (aka 2019 mixes) for all tracks from this era or just those not on the original albums as this collection hints at?
8. Assuming this collection makes up at least some of Feel Flows' contents (and is not a separate release altogether, it's hard to tell for certain at this point), there's ~2.5 CDs worth of material here, with the addition of the entire Big Sur concert plus Dennis' solo material making the total ~3 CDs. If there's a remix or remaster of the original albums then it's 4 CDs, leaving only ~80 minutes left to cover what's missing if there are only 5 CD's.
9. What's noticeably missing (from what I can tell anyways): San Miguel (complete song), Break Away, Celebrate the News, What Can the Matter Be?, I'm Going Your Way (complete song), Loop de Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane) (complete song), Where Is She?, Games Two Can Play, Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Back Home (complete song), Fallin' in Love, (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again, Barnyard Blues, 4th of July, Barbara (probably included as part of Dennis' solo material), Symphony of Frogs, Untitled #3, Telephone Backgrounds (On A Clear Day), Won't You Tell Me (with Brian & Carl's vocals), songs from the Fred Vail country album, Silly Walls (with David Sandler on lead vocals), Awake (Brian's piano demo), and songs from the early Carl & the Passions sessions in late 1971.
10. While only tangentially related, is there any news on releases by The Flame or Spring, since the former album is 50 years old now (and also had a follow-up that's still unreleased) and the latter album's recording sessions took place in 1971 (probably some of 1972 as well)?
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 23, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »

The allmusic link to 1970 Release doesn't work for me anymore, as it just redirects somewhere else, but the album is still listed in their discography on the site. Anyone else have this problem?

Insider info says there was a takedown request.
Mr. Wilson Joliet
« Reply #2571 on: November 23, 2020, 08:24:40 PM »

The allmusic link to 1970 Release doesn't work for me anymore, as it just redirects somewhere else, but the album is still listed in their discography on the site. Anyone else have this problem?

Insider info says there was a takedown request.

Should I perhaps remove my first post then to be safe?
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 23, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »

I don't think you need to do that. I mean, it's not like you posted the nuclear football codes?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 23, 2020, 10:39:34 PM »

I don't think you need to do that. I mean, it's not like you posted the nuclear football codes?

But if anyone does have those feel free to post!  Roll Eyes
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2574 on: November 24, 2020, 05:41:51 AM »

The write-up on allmusic is gone, sure, but at least ONE of the actual links to the music is still there:

https://rovimusic.rovicorp.com/playback.mp3?c=lC9pxyb9Lf858OXBxCItTlWnbEN5fCjifro6xhIBuB4%3D&f=I

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx