gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:47:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841572 times)
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: November 22, 2020, 08:23:37 PM »

This is great news, the best moment of this dark 11 months so far. Stuff like the background vocal arrangement of This Whole World, Feel Flows or Long promised road are otherworldly, really amazing. Smiley :
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: November 22, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »

... they still didn’t have to “release” all of this for a few seconds?

Depends on which copyright lawyer you ask. I'm beginning to think that lawyers for UMG et al have decided that quiet digital/streaming releases for all of a few seconds qualify for copyright extension; it's just that no one's taken them to court to challenge it. Certainly seems like less of a hassle for the record companies than pressing up 100-500 copies and selling them, like with Dylan.

And even more, how did AllMusic get these samples if they were only briefly up.

Answered here: https://twitter.com/sterlewine/status/1330709405923348480
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:37:05 PM by scottythered » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 22, 2020, 09:07:01 PM »

Unrelated to FF, but what a shame about Al losing the video from the Postcards show he had professionally filmed. I wonder what the story is with that. He sounded really quite sad about it.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 22, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »

Al Jardine just called in live to Billy Hinsche's show on Facebook and said that the Feel Flows box set will be released in May or June of 2021.

Ugh.  6+ months?!  Say it ain't so.   That's disappointing but if there's anyone is a position to know and be willing to talk, Al would be the guy. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 22, 2020, 09:38:26 PM »

Al Jardine just called in live to Billy Hinsche's show on Facebook and said that the Feel Flows box set will be released in May or June of 2021.

Ugh.  6+ months?!  Say it ain't so.   That's disappointing but if there's anyone is a position to know and be willing to talk, Al would be the guy. 

I want to celebrate and be only happy about Al's words, but I suppose I won't feel confident that it's truly coming out intact, and I won't be able to feel there's zero chance of it potentially still being compromised in one way or another until there's a formal press release with track listing released. Just trying to be realistic here.

As proven already with the way this it has been treated like a yo-yo, the only way the release is truly secure and not able to be messed with anymore is once it's actually out.  The longer the period of gestation before it comes out, the more it could still maybe be used as a bargaining chip by a certain someone. If it was held up before, it could theoretically be held up or messed with again, but hopefully that won't be the case, and I'll just try to be positive from here on out, but understandably I'm being a bit cautious in my glee. Most certainly hearing these samples is very tantalizing.

Hopefully no more shenanigans will happen before then, and I also wonder why they are waiting such a long time, unless they think that it's going to sell better as a "summer" product or are hoping to tie it in with some sort of reunion for promotional reasons. I think whatever shenanigans have happened already is why the project missed the opportunity to be released during this holiday season. Shades of the Pet Sounds Sessions box set.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2530 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »

Next year is the 60th anniversary of the band; I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the reason why

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 22, 2020, 10:57:36 PM »

What?? I was expecting the Feel Flows box last February!

But seriously, I'm just grateful that it's happening. Thanks to all involved, both back in 1969, 70, & 71 and today, a big fifty years later.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 22, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »

Just can't wait to hear a quality mix of San Miguel.. Really a standout track I believe that faced the chop too soon. Would've fit nicely on Sunflower.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 23, 2020, 02:08:58 AM »

We're such a lucky fanbase. What a joy to even get a taste of what's headed our way. Thank you to all involved!

I love what I am hearing. Especially the new mixes of released songs sans lead vocals. Like Bruce’s Deirdre and Tears in the Morning. Just delightful and totally enjoyable without the leads. And you really can appreciate the superb musical arrangements that helped make these songs so magical!

This box is going to be fantastic!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 23, 2020, 02:48:41 AM »

Looks like Christmas is sorted.

Now all we need is to take the Solution.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:52:01 AM by chrism1971 » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2535 on: November 23, 2020, 06:00:52 AM »

Would be great if Howie or somebody in the know could tell us what the Allmusic release actually is

It's most likely the projected tracklist for Feel Flows as it's highly doubtful that this is a separate project.  Although that would be pretty sweet.  
This is almost certainly a separate release to the 5 disc set we were initially told about... considering:

1) It's not called Feel Flows (confirmed title of the box set)
2) We were told Feel Flows would feature a full concert recording (definitely the Big Sur concert, only Riot is included here, and Aren't You Glad was released on Sunshine Tomorrow)
3) There is only one Dennis track included out of the 25 or so minutes that Howie mentioned
4) This is only 64 tracks, ~180 minutes of audio. This can fit on 3 CDs; surely they weren't planning on spreading it out to 5 CDs with about 13 tracks on each disc.

My theory is that this is a digital only release that's being released for two reasons:

-to preserve copyright for the 1970 tracks that are included
-to act as a teaser to a bigger box set (hopefully!!!) as almost all of this 1969-1971 material does not need to be released in 2020 for legal reasons.

All things certainly possible.  However it seems doubtful that in addition to this they have 5 extra discs of other material that is somehow better than what we have here, although I would be gleeful to be proven wrong.  It's not entirely clear exactly what this release is in the first place or why Allmusic.com has this listing (as well as sound samples).  All of this endless speculation on here has become exhausting; I'd just like to hear a straight answer on what exactly 1970 Release is supposed to be. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 23, 2020, 06:09:52 AM »

I'm normally not a begging man, but I could really do with Mr Edelson showing up and confirming whether this is a "1969 Recordings" situation here. If so, I would like to say that the Rolling Stone's management are officially pure evil for normalising this practise.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:45 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:51:55 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 23, 2020, 06:43:29 AM »

Rolling Stones 1969 Unreleased TV Radio Live Performances: https://www.allmusic.com/album/-1969-unreleased-tv-radio-concert-performances-mw0003367730
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 23, 2020, 07:40:42 AM »

Do we know when this digital download will be available for purchase?
scottythered
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 23, 2020, 08:20:44 AM »

Near identical thing for George Harrison from a couple of weeks beforehand, which isn't promising: https://www.allmusic.com/album/-1970--mw0003450793

And also a 1969 sessions album, incorrectly tagged as a single: https://www.allmusic.com/album/1969-sessions-mw0003346157
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2541 on: November 23, 2020, 08:22:15 AM »

Probably when the physical copy goes on sale

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 23, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »

The Sunflower-Holland period is one of my favorites, so I'm all hyped for any CE dumps that get released.

Near identical thing for George Harrison from a couple of weeks beforehand, which isn't promising: https://www.allmusic.com/album/-1970--mw0003450793

If this would get an actual release... WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:01:30 AM by pdas1996 » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 23, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »

May or June 2021 makes sense.  If this box is all it's supposed to be, they will want to have a bit of a promotional push behind it like they did for The Smile Sessions.  That means magazine covers and interviews.  I wouldn't rule out a little 1970 copyright dump release next month like we got last year for perhaps a handful of box set leftovers.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: November 23, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »

Guess I have even more to write about for my next Suburban column.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: November 23, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »

Since most of those tracks with the samples were recorded in 1970, I assumed that they were going to be the Copyright digital dump at the end of the year.  Maybe I am wrong, but I was hoping we would get those tracks digitally sometime over the next month.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2546 on: November 23, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »

BTW, the "Surf's Up pt.1" track is claimed as "(1971 Remake Track With Brian Wilson vocals)"

Yeah, sounds like that. The moog seems to take a big part of the backing track

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2547 on: November 23, 2020, 11:10:46 AM »

Since most of those tracks with the samples were recorded in 1970, I assumed that they were going to be the Copyright digital dump at the end of the year.  Maybe I am wrong, but I was hoping we would get those tracks digitally sometime over the next month.

Ahhh I misunderstood. Yeah the copyright extension probably will be next month unless it is decided “releasing it “ temporarily counted. Thought you meant the digital version of the full set lol

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: November 23, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »

I was just listening to the basic track of All I Wanna Do on those samples. Does anyone else think the drums on that might be an early drum machine? C-Man, do you know one way or another?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: November 23, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »

I was just listening to the basic track of All I Wanna Do on those samples. Does anyone else think the drums on that might be an early drum machine? C-Man, do you know one way or another?

Hal Blaine was hired for the session, so it's at least partially live drums.  While they were using the Rhythm King as a drum machine for several tracks, (Til I Die, HELP, Lady, etc) I think this is just an example of live drumming sounding very mechanical.  But I haven't heard the session tape, so C-man will know for sure.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx