gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:04:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841655 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: October 30, 2020, 01:58:31 PM »

The 1971 re-recorded version they tried?

Oh, wow, very cool if it's that.  I don't think I'm alone in always wondering what that sounded like.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2326 on: October 30, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »

Same here!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 30, 2020, 06:09:12 PM »

I know Dennis’ material has been a focus of discussions here, but, considering the set is called Feel Flows, I’m hoping there’s a bunch of Carl stuff that’s previously unknown on this set.
That would be a nice surprise. The way people go on and on about Dennis' music, well...I'd like to see similar enthusiasm for what the baby brother brought to the group.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 30, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »

Man, I really needed this good news.  Thanks to all involved.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 30, 2020, 08:58:33 PM »

I know Dennis’ material has been a focus of discussions here, but, considering the set is called Feel Flows, I’m hoping there’s a bunch of Carl stuff that’s previously unknown on this set.
That would be a nice surprise. The way people go on and on about Dennis' music, well...I'd like to see similar enthusiasm for what the baby brother brought to the group.

I think there's a lot of appreciation for Carl as a singer and defacto group leader in this period, as well as his role as a co-producer for most of these sessions. Still, Dennis was the much more prolific writer, and the comparative quality of their solo efforts speaks for itself imo. Writing just doesn't seem to have been a big priority for Carl - or at least not consistently over time.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. One does have to suspect that he wrote more than just three songs in the 71-73 period - he must at least have tossed off a few practice songs before coming up with something as good as Long Promised Road.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2330 on: October 30, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »

I’m excited to see additional Brian stuff whether as a writer or as a vocalist. I’m almost certain we’ll hear a song we’ve never heard of before from him. That’s just a hunch based on past releases. This is my favorite period of him vocally so looking forward to it.

I keep going back to that Surfs up alternate version

I wonder too....could we possibly get the shows  where Brian replaced mike in better sound? 😱
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:15:35 PM by ♩♬🐸 Murry the Friendly Ghost ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 31, 2020, 01:36:52 AM »

If they actually have a decent quality recording of one of the shows where Brian subbed for mike, I might be ok with losing some of the Dennis material.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 31, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »

If they actually have a decent quality recording of one of the shows where Brian subbed for mike, I might be ok with losing some of the Dennis material.

And as they used to say in my family (more or less): "If your uncle was a lady, he'd be your aunt".

Confusingly, now I look back, I think it actually *was* my uncle who used to say that. Perhaps he was trying to tell us all something...?  Cheesy

But you take my point - it's about as uncertain as can be (at least to 99 percent of the uninformed target market for this set, including myself) what this mystery release might contain. Firstly, hardly anyone knows exhaustively *what* recordings exist for this period at all, and of those that do know, they are probably not going to tell us publicly, for very sensible reasons. Secondly, it seems likely (but is again actually just speculation) that of the stuff that exists, only some of it will come out on this set, assuming, of course, that this set ever does come out. Thirdly, the line-up of what might have been slated to come out at one point may have been changed since the original speculatory news leaked out. But actually we don't know this either, as that's all just hearsay and speculation too and also hasn't been anything like confirmed.

So: we don't know what the big circle in the Venn diagram comprises (the set of all 1969-1971 recordings that might possibly be included). We don't know what the smaller circle within that set comprises (the set of recordings that may allegedly, at one point, have been slated for release before the end of this year on something that, it seems likely, would have been called Feel Flows. Probably). And we don't know for sure yet if that smaller circle has changed and if so, what to.

That's quite a lot of what Donald Rumsfeld (lawd lavv'im) called 'unknown unknowns', right there.

I thought unravelling SMiLE or 'Can't Wait Too Long' was impossible enough, but at least we had a tracklisting for the former and some recordings for the latter. This set, at least at time of writing, seems even more elusively impossible to pin down. It's a riddle wrapped inside an enigma and sat on by at least two probable iterations of Schrödinger's Cat (Schrödinger's *Set*, anyone?   Grin  ). Although hopefully it won't be long before that changes...

Disclaimer: as usual in these matters, I know nothing and am privy to precisely no inside info. It's dull but true.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:01:23 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 31, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »

Things are good. It's moving forward.

A huge extra repeated thanks is owed to Howie and the team of folks behind the scenes (Boyd, Linett, etc.) who do more to make this stuff happen than you'll ever know.

And I think the fans who have kept the discussion going on this and kept it on the public/internet radar should also offer themselves and each other a thanks as well. It truly *has* made a difference. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I know we'll all stay vigilant/cautiously optimistic, etc. as things move forward. We all know with the BBs that we're never fully out of the woods until the product is out there in our figurative if not literal hands. But this latest news is good. I'm glad folks know that things are moving forward now.

The behind the scenes stories are interesting, and always ongoing, and there will be plenty of time in the future to ruminate on all of that. Right now, let's get this material in our ear holes....
Do we know if a 2020 physical release off the table yet, or still a possibility?

From a post of his October 12:

Hopefully it all gets sorted out and we have this thing by shorts weather.

So now we know it has been sorted out and is moving forward, but I'm wondering if too much time has passed for this to be released this year. Howie's shorts weather comment makes me think it'll be next year - but I'm not sure how the copyright snag fits into this. Hopefully we get some details soon.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 31, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »

I kinda doubt Mike would be super happy about releasing a *full* show like that, which would/could show how the band was able to sound great completely minus him... maybe mayybe one song from one of those shows, if such a recording existed, but even then I'm not sure he'd be exactly keen on that idea.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:10:02 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 31, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »

The only show I am aware from when Brian subbed for Mike that circulates is the spring 1970 Seattle show-I quite enjoy that boot but the sound is poor. I get the sense that it was an audience recording rather then something taped by desper-hence I question how much they could improve the audio of that if they don’t have any multitracks of the show in their vaults
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 31, 2020, 07:13:39 PM »

I think there's a lot of appreciation for Carl as a singer and defacto group leader in this period, as well as his role as a co-producer for most of these sessions. Still, Dennis was the much more prolific writer, and the comparative quality of their solo efforts speaks for itself imo. Writing just doesn't seem to have been a big priority for Carl - or at least not consistently over time.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. One does have to suspect that he wrote more than just three songs in the 71-73 period - he must at least have tossed off a few practice songs before coming up with something as good as Long Promised Road.
I'm the one person who got much more enjoyment from 'Carl Wilson' and 'Youngblood' than 'Pacific Ocean Blue' - although i much prefer POB to the stuff the group was putting out in 76-78.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 01, 2020, 01:37:29 AM »

Love both Feel Flows and Long Promised Road, and while I'm a big fan of Dennis, I'm very happy to (hopefully) hear what else Carl was doing in this era.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 01, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »

While we wait ... a little less impatiently ... enjoy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCGyYJjW5Fo
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 01, 2020, 10:35:30 PM »

DELETED ... Double post ... darn the internet ...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:36:45 PM by TonyW » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: November 02, 2020, 03:25:25 AM »

Wow, Blondie on drums, Ricky on guitar, the Dragons , Dennis D. on drums and Daryl on organ, a cool Eddie Carter.....and of course, Carl Wilson! Never knew Blondie played drums!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2341 on: November 02, 2020, 06:25:12 AM »

All of this talk of Feel Flows reminds me of this Feel Flows homage from a band called Maple Mars.  What if Feel Flows met Pet Sounds...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-0mEi3IOs

EoL
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:25:39 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 02, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »

All of this talk of Feel Flows reminds me of this Feel Flows homage from a band called Maple Mars.  What if Feel Flows met Pet Sounds...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB-0mEi3IOs

EoL

Real nice!! Thanks for that EOL.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 02, 2020, 11:54:06 AM »

GUYS I HAVE NEWS

A few years back I made a compilation edit of a bunch of my favorite rarities and unreleased tracks (which you can listen to here https://vimeo.com/134540323)

I originally uploaded to youtube, but due to content ID strikes I made the video private.

However this video has just been hit with strikes again, with two songs that have NEVER been officially released - Big Sur (the 4/4 version) and even more exciting, a track titled: "Medley: All of My Love/Ecology"

That song title comes from the copyrighted material claimed in my video, not from me.

Go to the video and listen to the edit of ecology for reference - for anyone unaware its a medley of different pieces of music Dennis wrote - plenty of edits of the song have been made over the years, ours was close enough to the track getting released for it to be struck with a copyright I guess.

I think this is pretty good news for the box set going forward. f*** YEA

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:02:34 PM by Niko » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2344 on: November 02, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »

Wow

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 02, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »

This was found out a few pages back. Here's the list of songs that have been discovered that way:

Surf’s Up (Brian Wilson Lead Vocal 2019 Mix)
Forever (2019 A Cappella Mix)
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) (A Capella)
Slip On Through (Alternate 1969 Mix With Session Intro)
Add Some Music To Your Day (Alternate Version)
Add Some Music To Your Day (A Capella)
‘Til I Die (Piano Demo)
Our Sweet Love (Track & Backing Vocals Mix)
This Whole World (Long Version & Backing Vocals Mix)
Tears In The Morning (Track & Backing Vocals)
I Just Got My Pay (2019 Mix)
Susie Cincinnati (2019 Mix)
Good Time (2019 Mix)
Take A Load Off Your Feet (Alternate Vocals Mix)
Back Home (Demo)
Cool, Cool Water (Alternate 2019 Mix)
Seasons In The Sun
Big Sur
‘Til I Die
H.E.L.P. Is On The Way (2019 Mix)
Student Demonstration Time (Track & Backing Vocals)
Student Demonstration Time
Sound Of Free (1970 Single Mix, 2019 Master)
My Solution (Track & Backing Vocals)
Long Promised Road (Track & Background Vocal Mix)
Medley: All Of My Love/Ecology
Medley: Happy Birthday, Brian/God Only Knows
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2346 on: November 02, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »

I wonder if that demo of Back Home is the Al version, or a different one entirely....

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 04, 2020, 12:19:13 PM »

Hey guys, what show / year do you think this is from?

https://youtu.be/rimKDkeAeT4

Do you think it sounds 1970-1971ish?

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2348 on: November 04, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »

Hey guys, what show / year do you think this is from?

https://youtu.be/rimKDkeAeT4

Do you think it sounds 1970-1971ish?

Filmore East 1971. It's a radio broadcast which is why random people can put it on their random albums.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: November 04, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »

That explains it, thanks!
I was hoping it could somehow be a track from the boxset.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx