gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:44:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 844450 times)
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: October 08, 2020, 06:56:53 PM »

Stamos just replied to FreeFeelFlows on twitter:

https://twitter.com/JohnStamos/status/1314302473104842753

Well, this is most reassuring. It's not much, but a least it seems that all that stuff that stood to potentially be lost, is now hopefully saved.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1926 on: October 09, 2020, 01:15:47 AM »

Cool
i would love to see how BB Fandom reacts to John Stamos being the the driving force of getting Feel Flows released. :D

IMHO it would put them up there, a few notches below folks like Darian, on a list of those who helped make a big impact on the legacy of this band, should Stamos be a factor in this set getting out.

Crazy talk.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: October 09, 2020, 06:13:21 AM »

Smiley Smile Forums: Mr. Capitol?

Capitol Records: I am extraordinarily busy, Smiley.

Smiley Smile Forums: I just wanted to ask about the Feel Flows set, the 50th Anniversary boxset for the Beach Boys. When do we get it?

Capitol Records: You don't

Smiley Smile Forums: Why not?

Capitol Records: We're only releasing 3 tracks.

Smiley Smile Forums: What 3 tracks? You have to release all the songs, right guys?

Capitol Records: Wrong, sir! WRONG! Under the US Copyright Act signed in 1976, it states quite clearly that all copyright won't expire IF - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy! - "Copyright in sound recordings and television broadcasts is not calculated with reference to the life of an author. " et cetera, et cetera..."Copyright in sound recordings expires 50 years from the end of the year in which the recording was made UNLESS THE RECORDING IS PUBLISHED DURING THAT 50 YEAR PERIOD!! It's ALL there! Black and white, clear as crystal! You PIRATED Beach Boys songs! You UPLOADED them to Youtube, which now has to be claimed and shut down, so you get... NOTHING!!! YOU LOSE!! GOOD DAY, SIR!!!

Smiley Smile Forums: You're a crook. You're a liar and swindler! That's what you are! How can you do a thing like this?! Music that will change the way the Beach Boys are viewed as a musical entity, and then you smash  all our hopes to pieces?! YOU'RE AN INHUMAN MONSTER!!

Capitol Records: I SAID "GOOD DAY!!!"
I look forward to that ride in the glass elevator that offers a great aerial view of the Capitol Tower.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: October 09, 2020, 06:15:51 AM »

Don't know if this has been pointed out, but Van Dyke Parks was asked (not by me) on Twitter (seeing as he was key to getting the BBs signed to Warner) about the box set. Van Dyke replied that he had no knowledge of it. I posted a link to my first article.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:19:18 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1929 on: October 09, 2020, 08:06:57 AM »

If John Stamos is privy to the goings on re: FEEL FLOWS -- that's most likely coming from a source that will undoubtedly wipe ALL of Dennis' brilliant material off the set. Watch.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: October 09, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »

If John Stamos is privy to the goings on re: FEEL FLOWS -- that's most likely coming from a source that will undoubtedly wipe ALL of Dennis' brilliant material off the set. Watch.

Well, that would be incredibly disappointing.....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: October 09, 2020, 10:02:50 AM »

Cool
i would love to see how BB Fandom reacts to John Stamos being the the driving force of getting Feel Flows released. :D

IMHO it would put them up there, a few notches below folks like Darian, on a list of those who helped make a big impact on the legacy of this band, should Stamos be a factor in this set getting out.

Crazy talk.

If some insider, like Stamos, actually somehow moves the needle behind the scene and GETS the set released INTACT... as opposed to the alternative for the majority of the music to never see the light of day... well yeah, they'd be  friggin' hero to the legacy in my book. Doesn't mean that they helped "finish SMiLE", but they'd still be worthy of much respect for doing so. To think otherwise, that's crazy talk.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: October 09, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »

That's absolutely awful. This tells me that somebody behind the scenes WANTS Dennis' material gone from the set for some reason, or might somehow agree to the FF release if the Dennis material is extracted from it. Terrible.

I still say that even if the reasons why the set is being delayed/blocked are not directly about Dennis, and are about some totally unrelated thing not having to do with the set itself... that there is still a crap ton of petty, envious jealousy aimed at the late Dennis Wilson by a living member of the band.  Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Anyone who thinks this is absolutely impossible and completely untrue must believe in the tooth fairy.

And who knows how that could affect any number of things indirectly. That living member is seriously the most jealous guy in the history of rock music, and he's got more than one Wilson brother to be jealous of.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:13:00 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: October 09, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »

Boxset or not, the Dennis material has to be released before it falls into public domain. Taking it from the box only means that it would have to come out digitally.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1934 on: October 09, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »

Boxset or not, the Dennis material has to be released before it falls into public domain. Taking it from the box only means that it would have to come out digitally.

Depends on what it is. Not everything on this boxed set would have to be protected. An obvious example would be alternate takes/mixes/versions of songs that have already been published.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1935 on: October 09, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »

Well, that would be incredibly disappointing.....

It most certainly would......

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: October 09, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »

I'm having trouble understanding the connection here.

If details are being shared with John Stamos, then Dennis Wilson's material will be removed from the set?

I'm assuming you're talking about Mike. Why is the connection to Stamos being related to this comment? Don't we know that Mike is involved with the box set anyway? What does Stamos' knowledge have to do with anything? Couldn't we know that Mike could wipe out Dennis' material even without knowing that Stamos is aware of what's going on?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: October 09, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »

I can just see some schmuck behind the scenes justifying this as saying "well, that's Dennis solo material, it doesn't belong on a BEACH BOYS set".

Other than straight up saying "I'm jealous and my ego hurty wurty", what other possible "justification" could be given by someone in power for removing Dennis material, other than saying that "solo" material doesn't belong on a BBs set?

The only way I could see this not being a total disaster is if it leads to Dennis material being released on its own, as a standalone thing.

I still think if the set gets butchered, we're likely to lose more than *just* the Dennis wholly unreleased songs. We'd probably lose alternate mixes and other cool stuff like that of previously-released songs. Absolutely sucks. If someone is doing this for ego reasons, they are truly a POS.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:42:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1938 on: October 09, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »

Cool

Crazy talk.

If some insider, like Stamos, actually somehow moves the needle behind the scene and GETS the set released INTACT... as opposed to the alternative for the majority of the music to never see the light of day... well yeah, they'd be  friggin' hero to the legacy in my book. Doesn't mean that they helped "finish SMiLE", but they'd still be worthy of much respect for doing so. To think otherwise, that's crazy talk.

I have advocated for years that Stamos should stop his weekend-rock-star shtick and use his celebrity (and celebrity fan) status, not to mention Mike's obsession with him, to further some good causes in the BB world (meaning advocating for archival releases instead of trying to produce lame TV shows or Broadway shows that try to milk the BB song catalog).

Stamos could have been the hero of all BB fans if he had taken that tact at any point over all these years.

That all being said, having processed this Stamos bit and spoken to various folks, I don't sense Stamos is or will be having any impact on any aspect of this release, whether it's a decision to release it, or any potential alterations of track listings.

The main point of interest in his tweet yesterday was simply an alternative source seemingly confirming that he knows about the set and presumably is aware (as I'm sure all the BBs are at this point) that fans know that A) The set exists and is ready to go, and B) The set is currently in some form of limbo as far as a release.

If there is a source that Stamos is able to speak to who will wipe all or nearly all of the Dennis material off this set, I don't believe Stamos has much if any ability to change *that*.

It goes without saying that we can all *hope* that Stamos would have the power to get the band to release the set in its original incarnation. I just don't think Stamos having that sort of power is very likely.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: October 09, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »

Cool

Crazy talk.

If some insider, like Stamos, actually somehow moves the needle behind the scene and GETS the set released INTACT... as opposed to the alternative for the majority of the music to never see the light of day... well yeah, they'd be  friggin' hero to the legacy in my book. Doesn't mean that they helped "finish SMiLE", but they'd still be worthy of much respect for doing so. To think otherwise, that's crazy talk.

I have advocated for years that Stamos should stop his weekend-rock-star shtick and use his celebrity (and celebrity fan) status, not to mention Mike's obsession with him, to further some good causes in the BB world (meaning advocating for archival releases instead of trying to produce lame TV shows or Broadway shows that try to milk the BB song catalog).

Stamos could have been the hero of all BB fans if he had taken that tact at any point over all these years.

That all being said, having processed this Stamos bit and spoken to various folks, I don't sense Stamos is or will be having any impact on any aspect of this release, whether it's a decision to release it, or any potential alterations of track listings.

The main point of interest in his tweet yesterday was simply an alternative source seemingly confirming that he knows about the set and presumably is aware (as I'm sure all the BBs are at this point) that fans know that A) The set exists and is ready to go, and B) The set is currently in some form of limbo as far as a release.

If there is a source that Stamos is able to speak to who will wipe all or nearly all of the Dennis material off this set, I don't believe Stamos has much if any ability to change *that*.

It goes without saying that we can all *hope* that Stamos would have the power to get the band to release the set in its original incarnation. I just don't think Stamos having that sort of power is very likely.

I'm having a hard time understanding how an issue (previously described as totally unrelated to the contents of this box) could lead to a decision to butcher the box and remove most of Dennis' contents, if the main issue at hand (even if it was cloaked in being about an unrelated thing) could be about anything other than petty jealous crap aimed against Dennis.

I cannot wrap my head around that jealousy sh*t not being a thing at play here.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:53:48 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1940 on: October 09, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »

I'm having trouble understanding the connection here.

If details are being shared with John Stamos, then Dennis Wilson's material will be removed from the set?

I'm assuming you're talking about Mike. Why is the connection to Stamos being related to this comment? Don't we know that Mike is involved with the box set anyway? What does Stamos' knowledge have to do with anything? Couldn't we know that Mike could wipe out Dennis' material even without knowing that Stamos is aware of what's going on?

No. There's nothing in my post saying Stamos himself nor Stamos talking to somebody would be the thing that results in material being wiped. Stamos is in all likelihood himself inconsequential to the outcome concerning this set.

I'm saying *if* Stamos is privy to information regarding "Feel Flows", that would be coming from a source, and it happens to be that that source is a person who will/wants to wipe the Dennis material from this set.

I can't really elaborate beyond that.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1941 on: October 09, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »

Cool

Crazy talk.

If some insider, like Stamos, actually somehow moves the needle behind the scene and GETS the set released INTACT... as opposed to the alternative for the majority of the music to never see the light of day... well yeah, they'd be  friggin' hero to the legacy in my book. Doesn't mean that they helped "finish SMiLE", but they'd still be worthy of much respect for doing so. To think otherwise, that's crazy talk.

I'm having a hard time understanding how an issue (previously described as totally unrelated to the contents of this box) could lead to a decision to butcher the box and remove most of Dennis' contents, if the main issue at hand (even if it was cloaked in being about an unrelated thing) could be about anything other than petty jealous crap aimed against Dennis.

I think at this stage there is a sort of, as they say in the scientific/medical field, comorbidity of issues circling this band and this release. One thing is the main problem/issue, and then as only the BBs can do, when that issue *might* be finally cleared up or eliminated, that "circular firing squad" comes back in and hashes out a new issue/problem.

In other words, the issue that has been holding up the set is, largely, separate from the more recent information concerning the possibility of Dennis material being dropped from the set.

As usual, this both complicates matters (both internally and from the fan point of view trying to figure out what the f**k is going on), while also weirdly signaling a set is still viable. Only the BBs would take a second (or tenth or hundredth) chance to make something right, and still f**k it up just enough to still kind of ruin it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:54:05 PM by HeyJude » Logged

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: October 09, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »

I’m very confused. I’ve been under the impression that “material on the completed 5 CD set” is NOT the issue holding up release.  Now it seems possible that the holdup IS due to “material on the 5 CD set”...

My head hurts...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: October 09, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »

Cool

Crazy talk.

I think at this stage there is a sort of issue of, as they say in the scientific/medical field, comorbidity of issues circling this band and this release. One thing is the main problem/issue, and then as only the BBs can do, when that issue *might* be finally cleared up or eliminated, that "circular firing squad" comes back in and hashes out a new issue/problem.

In other words, the issue that has been holding up the set is, largely, separate from the more recent information concerning the possibility of Dennis material being dropped from the set.

As usual, this both complicates matters (both internally and from the fan point of view trying to figure out what the f**k is going on), while also weirdly signaling a set is still viable. Only the BBs would take a second (or tenth or hundredth) chance to make something right, and still f**k it up just enough to still kind of ruin it.

Absolutely. Only the BBs. Which in my mind means only Mike Love and his Endless Ego Issues.

Why would anyone behind the scenes want to butcher the set to remove Dennis' material? Unless someone thinks that Dennis' material would thrive better on its own, unrelated release, but we all know that's not the case. It'd have its biggest audience and would thrive the most on a set like this. And doubtlessly, it would also cast a shadow over some of the other material because Denny was just. that. good. And therein must lie the real issue.

Just as Mike could give 794 reasons as to why he ended C50, I'm sure he could find a way to cloak his jealousy of Dennis in 884 different other ways and point to those things, or even create intentional obstacles just to blame things on those unrelated obstacles, instead of coming clean as a narcissist egoist.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:56:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1944 on: October 09, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »

I’m very confused. I’ve been under the impression that “material on the completed 5 CD set” is NOT the issue holding up release.  Now it seems possible that the holdup IS due to “material on the 5 CD set”...

My head hurts...

I can try to clear it up as best as possible.

1. Set is completed and ready to go

2. Issue comes up leading to set being blocked/delayed/stonewalled, whatever you want to call it.

3. Separately, while the question of the set coming out is still up in the air, there is the possibility of the Dennis material being wiped from the set if it *does* end up coming out.  

Only in the world of the BBs could they take this amazing material, turn it into a s**t-show by delaying a release, then potentially allow the set, but only after a whole other set of crap comes up and they compromise the whole point of the set by dropping material and once again finish things off by rescuing defeat from the jaws of victory.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: October 09, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »

I’ve followed this band for 50 years.  I know they have mastered the art of “shitting the bed” when it comes to virtually all aspects of their creative careers. If something CAN be f***ed up, this band will FIND A WAY!!!  It doesn’t surprise me that this set is in jeopardy over something ludicrous/asinine/petty.  And my “best guess” is that Mike is driving the “f***-up bus”...

As I’ve said before, lord help us if Mike out-lives the rest of the band. He’ll re-write Beach Boy history with no one to stop him.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: October 09, 2020, 01:08:47 PM »

I’ve followed this band for 50 years.  I know they have mastered the art of “shitting the bed” when it comes to virtually all aspects of their creative careers. If something CAN be f***ed up, this band will FIND A WAY!!!  It doesn’t surprise me that this set is in jeopardy over something ludicrous/asinine/petty.  And my “best guess” is that Mike is driving the “f***-up bus”...

As I’ve said before, lord help us if Mike out-lives the rest of the band. He’ll re-write Beach Boy history with no one to stop him.

Just replace "they" and "this band" with Mike Edward Egomaniac Bully Ironic Last Name Love and your sentence gains far more accuracy.

The amount of living people who are close to the situation, who if they could, would probably like to speak their mind publicly regarding their thoughts about Mike, but don't simply because he is both living and litigious, I would assume is a not insubstantial number.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:16:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1947 on: October 09, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »

It's just tragic that the band has learned nothing seemingly after 60 years in the business.

Look at the surviving Beatles and the estates. They have as much, arguably MORE reasons/potential pitfalls concerning the myriad of band issues/releases, etc.

There is far *more* money rolling around Apple/The Beatles than with the Beach Boys and BRI. Just as many if not more issues of ego/legacy, etc.

Yet, Apple and the Beatles, even prior to Harrison's death, had largely figured out how to work together and get s**t done and cross-market each other. To work together even if they don't want to *be* together. Paul and Yoko holding hands at red carpets. Getting *product* out there.

I mentioned this years ago, but for years now the Beatles' social media accounts and the individual solo accounts have all cross-marketed each other.

The Beach Boys could have never gotten in a room together after 1996 and still done far better with their legacy and their empire. They could have been promoting each others' solo albums.

As it is, they don't even have *one* unified force simply promoting *group* releases! It's never even clear who's running the auto-bot-ish "The Beach Boys" social media accounts. It doesn't even matter.

We should be picking our favorite tracks off of "Feel Flows" right now, and we should all be trading theories back and forth on what will be on a "So Tough/Holland" set.

What a mess. How sad.

I remain hopeful, because the music is that great and that important.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: October 09, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »

All you have to think about is the way the Rocky/Ron Hamady book was “re-structured” from its original slant of “Mike is the villain” to its released form of “Mike saved Brian and the group” to know the power the Lovester wields...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: October 09, 2020, 01:25:02 PM »

All you have to think about is the way the Rocky/Ron Hamady book was “re-structured” from its original slant of “Mike is the villain” to its released form of “Mike saved Brian and the group” to know the power the Lovester wields...

What happened behind the scenes there is jaw-dropping to think about, and has vibes of mafia-esque threats or bribes being made. Not one person can claim any other possible reason is logical. But it'd be pretty funny to see anyone try.

It was brazen and blatant, and an insult to everyone's intelligence after the many posts Rocky did on this board.

That book, and what went down to change it, in and of itself is worthy of a book of its own.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:42:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx