gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:20:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 844500 times)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: September 30, 2020, 06:15:30 PM »

So, Mike’s been supportive of a vile person/politician for four years now? I didn’t realize he was a fan of Hillary Clinton!

Oops,forgot about keeping politics out of these threads...
It apparently is only ok when it's  anti Trump....because all the tolerance the Dems have shown.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »

Is it possible that Melinda could be behind this? Sunflower and Surf's Up are considered to be some of the best group albums, with everyone getting a chance to shine. This goes against the "Brian is the sole genius of the Beach Boys" narrative, so I could see Melinda having a problem with a box set covering this period. From Mike's book, we know she interfered with the C50 tour by changing a setlist and ordering five autotune devices. If she can do that, it seems likely she can get a box set delayed.

Maybe she doesn't like the tracklist. There may not be room for both 'Til I Die (track and backing vocals) and Student Demonstration Time (alternate vocal take) and I could see her lobbying for the former.

I'm just speculating and there's no evidence for this, but it seems plausible to me.

Auto tune is software...unless it’s something like this

https://www.sustainpunch.com/vocal-autotune-pedals/

Everytime I read the thing about “autotune devices being hooked up to the microphones” I shake my head. Read that in Mike’s book and I about wept

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:50:55 PM by ♩♬🐸 Murry the Friendly Ghost ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: September 30, 2020, 10:35:42 PM »

I think that was supposed to be a Tears in the Morning joke 😎
Right now, If i was Brian or Al, I would:
 hit hard at the battle that's confronting me,
knock down all the roadblocks stumbling me,
throw off all the shackles that are binding me down, down, down
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 01, 2020, 01:24:16 AM »

I've been simply doing my best effort and commenting on almost every instagram post put out by Brian's Page, Mike's Page, and the Official Beach Boys Page. I even DM'd Mike's page this morning in a very complimentary way, though I know that'll vanish in to the ether. Anyone curious, I'm @hypnoticfred.

I'm trying, I'm REALLY trying. Howie, any idea if this sort of thing helps even slightly, or does it actually hinder the situation?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 01, 2020, 06:32:32 AM »

Is it possible that Melinda could be behind this? Sunflower and Surf's Up are considered to be some of the best group albums, with everyone getting a chance to shine. This goes against the "Brian is the sole genius of the Beach Boys" narrative, so I could see Melinda having a problem with a box set covering this period. From Mike's book, we know she interfered with the C50 tour by changing a setlist and ordering five autotune devices. If she can do that, it seems likely she can get a box set delayed.

Maybe she doesn't like the tracklist. There may not be room for both 'Til I Die (track and backing vocals) and Student Demonstration Time (alternate vocal take) and I could see her lobbying for the former.

I'm just speculating and there's no evidence for this, but it seems plausible to me.

Everytime I read the thing about “autotune devices being hooked up to the microphones” I shake my head. Read that in Mike’s book and I about wept

I'd say that's a possibility. I doubt Mike would know the difference.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 01, 2020, 06:33:25 AM »

I'd say that's a possibility. I doubt Mike would know the difference.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: October 01, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:50:52 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 01, 2020, 09:19:14 AM »

There's gotta be at least one computer running the software... So naming it a device is a easy way explaining it to the reader. It's called storytelling Smiley
//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »

This is pure speculation with no basis in anything but could Mike be holding it up because he wants Brian to write some new songs with him?  He complained bitterly about TWGMTR that he wasn't allowed to write head to head with Brian.  Maybe he sees this box set release as a bargaining tool to accomplish this?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1859 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »

This is pure speculation with no basis in anything but could Mike be holding it up because he wants Brian to write some new songs with him?  He complained bitterly about TWGMTR that he wasn't allowed to write head to head with Brian.  Maybe he sees this box set release as a bargaining tool to accomplish this?

Nah, the delay has nothing to do with any desire or plan or idea to work together on new material.

I won't dredge up all the C50 stuff from 2012, but the evidence strongly indicates Mike *talks* about wanting to write with Brian *a lot* more than he seems to actually *want* to write with Brian. He had months on the road with Brian in 2012 (Melinda, Joe Thomas, etc. were gone for most of the tour), the most time he had spent daily with Brian since like 1981, and was on a daily basis in a setting where a keyboard was always within reach, and there is zero evidence he made any overtures/efforts to write with Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1860 on: October 01, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »

There's gotta be at least one computer running the software... So naming it a device is a easy way explaining it to the reader. It's called storytelling Smiley
//RD

True, but as a producer and musician it drove me batty 🤣

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 01, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »

What if Phil Spector's to blame? We know he and his mind gangsters were powerful enough to destroy Smile back in '67 so it's not totally out of the question that he could be making moves to delay the set from his jail cell. Very disgusting, in my opinion.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1862 on: October 01, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »

Has anyone explained how the Surfin' Safari anniversary post Brian's team posted on Instagram earlier is a subtle dig at Mike holding up Feel Flows yet?

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1863 on: October 01, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »

Has anyone explained how the Surfin' Safari anniversary post Brian's team posted on Instagram earlier is a subtle dig at Mike holding up Feel Flows yet?

What was the subtle dig?  Here's the caption:

On this day in 1962, The Beach Boys released their debut album, Surfin’ Safari. While the official production credit went to Nick Venet, Brian (just twenty-years-old) and his dad Murry contributed substantially to the album’s production. Brian said he wrote the song “Surfin’” after Dennis told him “surfing’s getting really big. You ought to write a song about it.” Brian wrote or co-wrote nine of the twelve songs, including “Surfing’ Safari,” “409” and “County Fair.” Brian and the ‘Boys were just getting started …

#surfinsafari
#surfin
#capitolrecords
#nickvenet
#murrywilson
#brianwilson
#debut
#garagesurf

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1864 on: October 01, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »

What was the subtle dig?  Here's the caption:

On this day in 1962, The Beach Boys released their debut album, Surfin’ Safari. While the official production credit went to Nick Venet, Brian (just twenty-years-old) and his dad Murry contributed substantially to the album’s production. Brian said he wrote the song “Surfin’” after Dennis told him “surfing’s getting really big. You ought to write a song about it.” Brian wrote or co-wrote nine of the twelve songs, including “Surfing’ Safari,” “409” and “County Fair.” Brian and the ‘Boys were just getting started …

#surfinsafari
#surfin
#capitolrecords
#nickvenet
#murrywilson
#brianwilson
#debut
#garagesurf

I was just alluding to the people insisting that the anniversary posts for Sunflower and Surf's Up were digs at Mike, instead of just....anniversary posts that gets posted for every album by Brian's team.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 01, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »

As I've said, the core reason for all of this is so specific that it's virtually un-guessable.  Obviously, within any possible reason for such things, you could extrapolate it to the myriad of BRI/BB political BS over the years, and the stubborn nature of some folks, and since we can't literally bore into these peoples' heads, we can't ever know for sure exactly what reasoning (or lack thereof) is going on in their heads. But, ultimately there is a very real, obvious thing happening behind the scenes, and it is being used to justify holding up this set.

As I've said, when or if people finally hear what it's all about, they'll probably all look at the resulting decision to delay this set and think "huh? why?". The core reason is very specific, and an obviously weighty/serious thing all on its own. The issue is that to most folks in the know, it isn't actually a reason why "Feel Flows" would actually need to be delayed at all. The *thing* going on behind the scenes isn't crazy or unreasonable. What's driving people nuts is that certain folk or folks are saying because of that *thing*, the set shouldn't come out right now.

Unguessable, hey . . . I'll take up that challenge (we could be here a while).

1. Someone's advocating that the Beach Boys should push for "Summer Time" to start on January 1 and end on Dec 31 - so that there's just more Summer to go around?

2. Okay, I'm stumped.

Seriously though - it sounds like it is more of a genuinely held opinion about what should happen, something that might/could happen in the future as opposed to a selfish ultimatum type demand. Sounds like a decision that shouldn't be rushed into, but really has marginal impact on whether this set should really be released.

Okay, I'll have another stab. It's someone wanting to finish off some unfinished material - with the addition of new vocals perhaps - and therefore not wanting the box set to come out as is - with the unfinished versions of tracks.

Dennis' tracks come to mind.

I could imagine something akin to the Beatles' "Free As A Bird" being on the table.

Otherwise, my frontrunner guess is back to someone wanting to re-record "Here Comes The Night" in the latest style, let's say a post-punk, glam metal, future ghetto funk fusion!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:21:36 PM by thetojo » Logged
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 01, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »

Hey HeyJude,

Didn't someone in this thread say the main thing holding up "Feel Flows" is an issue with credits?  Or did I dream that?

Now if that's the case, then the credit situation has to be worked out.  Or... the song, or songs, in question have to be excised from the set.

That brings us to speculation on why the credit situation is so hard to resolve.  I mean, are Mike or any other of the Beach Boys going to make more than a negligible amount by getting their names on some obscure track that is going to appear on this vanity/historical release?  Probably not.  So that should be easy to resolve.

However, if someone wants their credit changed on one or more of the main songs on the two albums, then perhaps they're asking for reimbursement of monies lost over the years?  Isn't that what Mike did before?  He sued and got Brian to pay him for royalties he was not paid over the years?

Am I getting close?

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 07:11:56 PM by Dan Lega » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 01, 2020, 05:27:30 PM »

People would prefer not listening to HeyJude, Howie, Jon, etc.  LET’S SPECULATE!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1868 on: October 01, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »

Brian Wilson himself could say something and still nobody would believe him. Ridiculous.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 01, 2020, 05:57:45 PM »

People would prefer not listening to HeyJude, Howie, Jon, etc.  LET’S SPECULATE!!!!!
w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: October 01, 2020, 06:45:54 PM »

Speculation is just another form of masturbation, only messier

Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 01, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »

Based on HeyJude's latest statements, it seems like the reason is actually trivial and not what we might consider a logical reason for the set to be completely on hold. If that's the case then we haven't got much chance of guessing it. Better to keep campaigning in whatever way possible I suppose
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:27:27 PM by Tom » Logged
FlowsOfFeeling
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 01, 2020, 08:49:59 PM »

Speculation is just another form of masturbation, only messier

One of those is also more likely to end in a positive result too
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1873 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »

LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1874 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »

Hey HeyJude,

Didn't someone in this thread say the main thing holding up "Feel Flows" is an issue with credits?  Or did I dream that?

Now if that's the case, then the credit situation has to worked out.  Or... the song, or songs, in question have to be excised from the set.

That brings us to speculation on why the credit situation is so hard to resolve.  I mean, are Mike or any other of the Beach Boys going to make more than a negligible amount by getting their names on some obscure track that is going to appear on this vanity/historical release?  Probably not.  So that should be easy to resolve.

However, if someone wants their credit changed on one or more of the main songs on the two albums, then perhaps they're asking for reimbursement of monies lost over the years?  Isn't that what Mike did before?  He sued and got Brian to pay him for royalties he was not paid over the years?

Am I getting close?

Love and merci,
Dan Lega

Nah, credits are not an issue. There's no dispute over songwriting or any other credits.

I don't think anybody has actually asserted that credits are an issue. I think someone at some point speculated if that might be the case. Either way, credits aren't at issue.

While it's understandable up to a point to find this concept confusing, it's important to remember that the compilation, mixing, mastering, artwork prep, etc. for this set were all run through the appropriate parties. Essentially, this set *was* given a green light at every step up until the finished product was ready for a release date to be set and manufacturing to begin. Knowing this might help folks to understand the things that would be very unlikely to be an issue. Things like track listing concerns, songwriting credits, liner notes disputes, all of that stuff would have been raised as an issue most likely prior to the set literally being ready to be sent to the printers/manufacturing plant. Obviously, anybody could dispute anything at any time, including disputing something they previously signed off on. But I don't believe that's the case with "Feel Flows."

A situation came into being, virtually unrelated to anything to do with the set, and it was and seemingly still is being used to decide to delay releasing the set. As I've previously said, this situation is a legit situation that would require appropriate attention, care, etc. I'm not even characterizing whether said situation is a good or a bad thing. It's just a thing/issue/occurrence, whatever you want to call it. That this situation is given serious attention is not unwarranted. What seems to have confused/stunned/frustrated folks is that *that* situation is being used as a reason to delay releasing "Feel Flows" when most people I think would see no reason that the set couldn't be released as per normal.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:47:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx