gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:54:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841693 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: September 28, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »

It's fascinating that once every ten pages or so someone new to the conversation seems to pop up out of nowhere, pronounce the "ridiculous" nature of elements of the discussion, and sit back and fold their arms like they have it all figured out.

If you think this set is about throwing a 5-CD box at the head of someone with no interest in the band at all, you're missing the point.

For the MILLIONTH time, *everybody* involved with this set has a good idea about how many copies it can sell.

The *recognition* issue is about getting Rolling Stone and other print and online media to cover a RENEWED look at this amazing material. Some casual music fans and casual BB fans will learn more about it, and they'll have a MILLION ways to delve into the material further. This includes buying a 5-CD set, but it also involves just buying "Sunflower" or "Surf's Up", or sampling tracks to purchase or stream.

That is the issue, absolutely. And that is why a track listing for FEEL FLOWS needs to at least be leaked to the media (though I'm sure everyone who's posted in this thread, for better or worse, would like to see it). I feel for Howie in so many ways--what an impossibly frustrating position to be put into--but he or someone with that info really needs to get it into the hands of those who can give it the type of coverage that will blow the lid off things. He's taken a step in that direction here, but someone needs to walk all the way down the stairs and out the door into the full light of day on this.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: September 28, 2020, 02:31:47 PM »

I saw Mike Love at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him about the Feel Flows set or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Are you sure that was Mike Love? maybe it was some other tool wearing a baseball hat and being a jerk for no good reason.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:39:35 PM by thetojo » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1802 on: September 28, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »

I saw Mike Love at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him about the Feel Flows set or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

WTF?!

I know, I always had Mike down as a Snickers man myself.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: September 28, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »

It's fascinating that once every ten pages or so someone new to the conversation seems to pop up out of nowhere, pronounce the "ridiculous" nature of elements of the discussion, and sit back and fold their arms like they have it all figured out.

If you think this set is about throwing a 5-CD box at the head of someone with no interest in the band at all, you're missing the point.

For the MILLIONTH time, *everybody* involved with this set has a good idea about how many copies it can sell.

The *recognition* issue is about getting Rolling Stone and other print and online media to cover a RENEWED look at this amazing material. Some casual music fans and casual BB fans will learn more about it, and they'll have a MILLION ways to delve into the material further. This includes buying a 5-CD set, but it also involves just buying "Sunflower" or "Surf's Up", or sampling tracks to purchase or stream.

That is the issue, absolutely. And that is why a track listing for FEEL FLOWS needs to at least be leaked to the media (though I'm sure everyone who's posted in this thread, for better or worse, would like to see it). I feel for Howie in so many ways--what an impossibly frustrating position to be put into--but he or someone with that info really needs to get it into the hands of those who can give it the type of coverage that will blow the lid off things. He's taken a step in that direction here, but someone needs to walk all the way down the stairs and out the door into the full light of day on this.

Yeah, the track listing could really bring some attention to this, but it might not blow it wide open.

By their nature unheard songs aren't going to be instantly recognized as unrealized masterpieces (which we all know some of them will be).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 28, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »

This is so INCREDIBLY true. If such a tracklisting got to the press, then someone from the band would - however reluctantly - HAVE to eventually answer to why the material is in jeopardy.

I cannot believe that every member of the band, their families, friends, every single person did a NXIVM style cattle branding into their chests vowing to never talk about the set, and that a leaked tracklisting wouldn't put pressure to get the set and its FULL contents addressed, and hopefully, released.

This would literally be the biggest Watergate or Wikileaks in the history of the classic rock world.

SMiLE Part II. Why is the band's greatest material consistently being squandered? Helluva headline.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:41:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 28, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »

... Jesus, first I *am* Howie, now I don't know what he's talking about? ...

Hey Jude, please help me out here. Are you saying you are actually Howie? Or that someone mistook you as Howie?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: September 28, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »

Yeah, the track listing could really bring some attention to this, but it might not blow it wide open.

By their nature unheard songs aren't going to be instantly recognized as unrealized masterpieces (which we all know some of them will be).

That may be true, but it's an incredibly tantalizing discussion for any rock music press to want to discuss why someone would want to screw over the legacy of the unheralded (but gaining much fame/respect especially since the 2008 POB reissue) 2nd genius of the band, DW. Why would someone want to squander an entire album's worth of material by this guy, who isn't around to advocate for himself anymore, after the set has ALREADY been assembled and previously deemed worthy enough of putting together?

Once again, this doesn't even get into the other great material that is clearly on this set, including (I'm sure) alternate versions of more famous songs, and why that material would be desired to be squandered.

Why would a band want to shortchange themselves? That's the real question, and a minefield that certain parties do not want to answer, but those parties will be put into a very awkward position to concoct answers to, and might hopefully just relent their ridiculous, misguided cause and simply allow the full set to be released.

I feel sure it has something at least partially to do with Mike Love's unending erection for the band/brand to be known primarily as his grosso Stamosified vision of it. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone in the know has outright denied that some party's warped vision for OVERALL BRANDING being incompatible with FF is a complete non-issue regarding the block of FF.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:58:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: September 28, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »

Hey Jude, please help me out here. Are you saying you are actually Howie? Or that someone mistook you as Howie?

He's saying the latter. That particular allegation was made a few pages back.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:49:21 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 28, 2020, 02:57:09 PM »

I don't think a band ever has to answer for what they do.

You might think it's not fair, not right or whatever, and I agree, but it's their decision, not ours.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: September 28, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »

I don't think a band ever has to answer for what they do.

You might think it's not fair, not right or whatever, and I agree, but it's their decision, not ours.

But what if Brian and Al are for the set, and someone is trying to block it against their wishes? That's OK? And what if petty vindictiveness and narcissism is fueling that?  That's an absolute horror show in my book.  

What if Mike could have legally finagled a way in 1998 to have the rights to go into the vault and destroy all of the master tapes for unreleased Mike-less BW material, against the wishes of BW?  I feel what we have here is perhaps only a few steps removed from that. This is part of why fans are so riled up and will not let this just fade away. A situation may have unfolded where someone who has no business speaking for the dead's wishes is somehow in power to do so, and is doing things for self-serving reasons, and that disgusts me.  

It's not just "not right or whatever", it's disgusting.

This situation may perhaps be a decades-later tragic aftereffect of DW's shares in the band being sold after his death to pay off his debts. That, to me, nullifies the argument of it being "their" decision. Dennis was part of "they" when it comes to this band. Only his tragic premature death and the tragic situation of his shares no longer being in the hands of his heirs have enabled someone to *exploit that situation for their own ego and gain*.

That thought is absolutely, positively sickening, and anybody with a heart would probably feel the same way if they really sat and thought about it for a moment.  The situation is more akin to watching a boxing fight, and someone is cheating with brass knuckles. Because they can.

If caring and passionate fans weren't being watchdogs for the legacy, there's a LOT of things historically that would have unfolded differently and with far worse results.

To picture of Mike in C50 standing around the piano with everyone in 2012 singing "add some music to your day", from an album that had a vibe of band unity to it, and to reconcile that with the probable fact that he is likely the cause of trying to screw over everyone else in the band, including his late cousins, for some petty, egomaniacal reasons makes me think lower of the man that I ever thought possible.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:36:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SpanoItaliano
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 28, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »

Personally, I think John Stamos is holding up its release because he doesn't want any of Dennis' material on it, as his goal is to go down in history as The Beach Boys' one and only drummer.
SpanoItaliano
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: September 28, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »

What if Bruce could have legally finagled a way in 1972 to have the rights to go into the vault and hide the master tape for the unreleased Out in the Country by Don Goldberg, against the wishes of Don Goldberg?  I feel what we have here is perhaps only a few steps removed from that despicable hypothetical analogy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: September 28, 2020, 03:36:21 PM »

He's saying the latter. That particular allegation was made a few pages back.

Yup.  I found the accusation so ludicrous that I changed my user name to what it is now (and messaged Howie to tell him about the ludicrous post)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 28, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »

I'm not arguing that it's right, or fair or just - I'm not saying don't call it out.

What I am saying is don't encourage people to breach their (contractual or other) responsibilities.

Do you think it would be a good result if the tracklist were leaked and someone like Howie got blacklisted from all BRI involvement notwithstanding innocence. That's the sort of territory that is possible as a result of what people are suggesting here. And I don't think that's fair.

In my country at least, and I think probably in the US as well, inducing someone to breach a contract can potentially result in damages being awarded no only against the "breacher" but also against the "inducer".

Actions have consequences - or in Sanskrit "karma".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 28, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »

I'm not arguing that it's right, or fair or just - I'm not saying don't call it out.

What I am saying is don't encourage people to breach their (contractual or other) responsibilities.

Do you think it would be a good result if the tracklist were leaked and someone like Howie got blacklisted from all BRI involvement notwithstanding innocence. That's the sort of territory that is possible as a result of what people are suggesting here. And I don't think that's fair.

In my country at least, and I think probably in the US as well, inducing someone to breach a contract can potentially result in damages being awarded no only against the "breacher" but also against the "inducer".

Actions have consequences - or in Sanskrit "karma".

I totally get what you're saying, and I would never berate someone in that position for abstaining from leaking a tracklist.  Nor would I ever expect them to do so. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Howie's already incredibly valiant efforts. We're all still allowed to hope that something, somehow happens.

Yet I hope that there are still different, creative ways for the tracklist to leak.  Sometimes leaks come indirectly from inside from the highest of places, you really just never know.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:34:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: September 28, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »

Yes - let's all hope something good happens.

This year, I think we could all use some good news.

And yes, Brian or Al could always leak the track list, you just never know.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1816 on: September 28, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »

Summary:

1. FF was completed and ready for release, the label and BRI are behind it. All on board.

2. Some member(s) of the group decided they don’t actually want to put it out yet for some unknown reason.

3. As it’s looking less and less likely that it will be released in 2020, “Plan B” seems to be in the works - this involves putting something together to cover the the tracks subject to 2020 copyright protection. As several of us noted many times in this thread - this potentially changes what FF is or will be, thus potentially jeopardizing it’s viability and future existence.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: September 28, 2020, 07:19:21 PM »

I have zero interest in a "plan B"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: September 28, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »

I come in here at least twice a day to check for updates, and I appreciate any that I find - thanks to Howie for trying to keep us up to speed.

I find it interesting to think that any of us who have seriously followed this band for more than a few minutes can actually be surprised by things like this looming catastrophe re: the FF set.  To try to find logical reasons for the hold-up is an exercise in futility.  I agree with those who have posted that the focus should be on “what can I do to help get this released” rather than on “what could be the cause of the hold-up”.

HeyJude has explained in detail that the set is ready to go, like a huge box of candy that’s sitting on a shelf, but one or more of the store owners won’t open the doors...

And it has nothing to do with Milky Ways...
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: September 28, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »

I hope to one day have as much free time as this kid.
Mr. Wilson Joliet
« Reply #1820 on: September 28, 2020, 11:23:21 PM »

[Deleted by user]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:16:40 PM by Mr. Wilson Joliet » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: September 28, 2020, 11:55:29 PM »

Crazy to think that yesterday was the last date of the C50 tour, and the last time we saw any actual unity here. Anyone scared of damaging the brand has truly missed the entire point.

I wonder if it’s anything to do with how poorly Sunflower did on the charts? “Why is that worth celebrating”.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:39 AM »

Yes - let's all hope something good happens.

This year, I think we could all use some good news.

And yes, Brian or Al could always leak the track list, you just never know.

Right. The thing is, I don't think Brian has a fight left in him. He is 78 and has been through hell and back, and his old wounds just keep getting picked at by narcissistic vultures. I'm sure it took a good amount of emotional energy to get him to the point to be interviewed extensively about that time period. And about the music of his late brothers. Yet someone comes along to sh*t on all of that.

I'd really like to know how anybody who is familiar with the story of this band could not be deeply upset at the thought of that. Of Brian putting himself out there for what must've been an emotional interview about a difficult time for him, talking about his brothers' contributions in a more extensive manner that he may not have often done in the past, and then having all of that come to nothing. It's really no wonder that Brian seems to have "checked out" of outwardly caring about many things, and he often seems to brush things off in a manner that people interpret as him being out of it or something like that. It would be very hard for anyone to outwardly express getting hopes up about good things that could happen when - for the *umpteenth* time - there are garbage people out there ready to spoil the good vibrations yet again. It truly blows my mind how much crap he has been through and continues to go through at the hands of self-serving narcissistic fools.

That poor guy used up so many of his emotional resources many years ago, not that he was ever much of a combative fighter to begin with. But maybe someone on behalf of him, like Melinda, or somebody anonymously in their organization with permission from the top, might take it upon themselves to leak the tracklisting, if for no other reason then to stick it to Mike.  I mean, computers and files sometimes go missing and stuff.

Sure as the sun will come around again to start another day, I'm equally sure that Melinda understandably detests Mike more than anyone could possibly imagine. She might be the one to have the biggest incentive to have this leak out, if just to piss Mike off. But then again I'm sure she has Brian's well-being to think about, and the last thing Brian wants to do is to get involved with is the stress of a big public kerfuffle. I can only hope that behind the scenes Melinda and others who yield some power could be  putting the screws to Mike in any number of ways.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:06:21 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: September 29, 2020, 02:04:09 AM »

(Deleted duplicate post)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:05:11 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1824 on: September 29, 2020, 02:54:57 AM »

I hope to one day have as much free time as this kid.

Smoke a lot of dope and you'll have it.  😋

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx