gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:56:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841620 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1275 on: September 02, 2020, 07:09:36 AM »

The petition is now up to 1,028.

http://chng.it/cPXJsqNBKJ

1,040 this morning and still growing!

I could be wrong, but it looks like several fans mentioned and linked the petition on the Beach Boys Facebook page in the last day or so, under the repost of Brian's "Sunflower" 50th post. That has to be a reason for the bump in activity, and it's great to see. And again, the only word from ESQ was a post advertising the magazine in the same comments, yet not a word about the petition or about supporting the release of the set at all. And again, you have to wonder why.

The fans are still speaking loudly in spite of those not listening or outright dismissing this effort.

At some point it would be nice to see someone in a decision-making capacity just cut through the bullshit and respond to the fans. If they're ignored, you'll lose them. The petition will keep setting new goals...how many more goals do fans need to meet before those running things get the damn point?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 02, 2020, 08:24:15 AM »

At some point it would be nice to see someone in a decision-making capacity just cut through the bullshit and respond to the fans. If they're ignored, you'll lose them. The petition will keep setting new goals...how many more goals do fans need to meet before those running things get the damn point?

The optimist in me is hoping that the silence is due to talks going on in the background. But the realist in me says that, other than Howie's post from the month before last, there has already been complete silence about this set for 7 months.

As for your "you'll lose them" comment, I agree in the sense that I'd be more sympathetic to support Mike's 60th Anniversary dreams of song remakes only if Feel Flows comes out. Otherwise, Mike's remake CD with the Beach Boys name slapped on the cover can collect dust in the $5 bin for all I care. Regardless of whoever is blocking Feel Flows (ignoring the extraordinarily wild and completely unrealistic agenda-driven speculation that is merely based on simple logic and a rudimentary knowledge of the history of the band) I hope that everyone in the band realizes how important this release is to over 1,000 fans and counting. This is the last major release that matters to the band history. This is was the last major creative explosion before the endless summer started. When 'Kokomo' hits the 50th anniversary in the year 2038, maybe we'll have a little boxset commemorating that. Until then, this is it. And this is a set that is "Heaven on Earth". These are the songs that made Brian cry in the booth they were so beautiful. This is where Dennis Wilson created a masterpiece that went unheard for 40+ years. This is where Carl crept out and created a song that is now iconic in Almost Famous. This is where Mike and Brian created one one of the most beautiful and underrated love songs of all time.

Will we ever get to hear the sessions for these songs? Will we ever get to hear the a cappella background vocals for the tag of 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree'? How about all those unearthed gems that we have yet to hear at all?

Where is ESQ in all of this? Where are the "big" names sharing this petition elsewhere? This isn't a time for political games regarding one's future standing with band members. Howie already stuck his neck out there to inform us of the dire situation. Where is everyone else?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »

The confusing thing about this is that it went from "BIG NEWS SOON!!!!!" to complete silence seemingly within a few weeks.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1278 on: September 02, 2020, 10:31:53 AM »

That’s a damn good question rab

Hell at this point I’m considering paying the license fee and releasing an EP called “Where’s Feel Flows?!” and having a couple of Sunflower/Surfs Up covers just to further bring attention.

Then again with the lack of sales success of my last project it may have the opposite effect 😂🥺😢😭
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:32:26 AM by ♩♬🐸 Apple Bottom Jeans (Boots with the Fur) ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1279 on: September 02, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »

The confusing thing about this is that it went from "BIG NEWS SOON!!!!!" to complete silence seemingly within a few weeks.

That was referring to something different besides the boxed set. I think “big” was overshooting it. “Soon” was a lie, and there ain’t no “news” for damn sure

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 02, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »

And to think that quite possibly, this box might be jeopardized due to Mike having a hard-on for monetizing private shows funded by murdering animals for fun.

Because if this is happening - even in part - out of some sort of revenge against what happened in February, when Mike probably felt humiliated by the very public snafu across major media sources, peace behind the scenes could've probably have been kept if Brian and Al hadn't shared the petition pleading (along with most decent people, plus many of Mike's ardent defenders) for that show to be nixed.

Brian and Al did the right thing, but I'm sure Mike viewed it as nothing more than a threat to his control of the brand.

Mike has shown a history of acting at his lowest when he feels his control is threatened, so I have a little reason to think that that isn't part of the equation here. Maybe it's a more complex issue than that, but I have to think that some bad stuff went down between the camps after Brian and Al shared that petition. Maybe that opened the floodgates for Mike to try to grasp control or finagle some sort of power grab to counteract his feelings of being threatened.

So yeah, if that's the case, it just becomes completely nausea-inducing to think that this beautiful music of the deceased Wilson brothers could be a casualty of Mike prioritizing playing a show gleefully promoting the murdering of animals. Think about it, and let it digest for a moment.  That is just so mindblowingly sick I can't even process it. If that February situation has anything to do with what's happening here with FF whatsoever, that might be the most disgusting thing in the history of this band.

"Don't you dare tell me I can't play a show promotng the murdering animals for fun, I will retaliate in ways you can't even imagine" does not seem like a far-fetched scenario to me, but then again that's just my opinion, man. That is certainly not what I *want* to be the case, but 60 years of shenanigans make me believe it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:25:24 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 02, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »

"Don't you dare tell me I can't play a show promotng the murdering animals for fun, I will retaliate in ways you can't even imagine" does not seem like a far-fetched scenario to me, but then again that's just my opinion, man.

I assume that has to be a Big Lebowski reference? Ha.
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 02, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »

That was referring to something different besides the boxed set. I think “big” was overshooting it. “Soon” was a lie, and there ain’t no “news” for damn sure

Didn't Mr. Edelson say the "news" would have had nothing to do with the set? I think that "BIG" news post was around the same time Bruce gave that interview talking about how ESQ had been wanting them to re-record Add Some Music (not sure why they'd want that), and that they in fact were re-recording it, all the group, a bunch of their kids, etc. I wouldn't imagine that constitutes all caps "BIG" news, so who knows what it was. Just a desperate fantasy here - I'll choose to believe that Mike wants the re-recorded Add Some Music done and on the set and to promote, and wants the set name changed to Add Some Music, so that's the hold up. If only it were as simple as all that. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 02, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »

Why does it always come down to the same damn thing over and over again? Putting together a big box set is a process more complicated than any of us could probably dream of. There could be thousands of reasons for it being delayed or currently without a release date.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 02, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »

Because its always the same "problem child" involved.... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 02, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »

Jay.  Howie confirmed this set is complete and releaseable now, and has been for a while. Whatever is holding this up is not related to the physical product.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 02, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »

The physical product may well be complete and ready to go, but what if there were last minute legalities over authorship, or monetary compensation to somebody? Just because the set itself is complete doesn't mean all loose ends have been tied yet.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 02, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »

The physical product may well be complete and ready to go, but what if there were last minute legalities over authorship, or monetary compensation to somebody? Just because the set itself is complete doesn't mean all loose ends have been tied yet.

So you would count Mike completely sidestepping and deflecting the question about vault releases, plus Brian's social media snubbing Mike's contribution to the SU album, plus Mike being the only member with an active social media who completely ignored both recent album anniversaries (and this is a guy who historically loves to talk about big anniversaries), all of which happened within the last month or so, as mere coincidence?

I mean, maybe it is, but I'd say that's some circumstantial evidence of something bad with the camps.

February was a really bad thing that happened, Mike was publicly humiliated and for good reason. And things got so bad, he allowed Donald Trump Jr to pick on Brian and stayed silent. Silence speaks volumes. I can't logically think that has zero to do with what's going on here.  Maybe it's not the whole reason, but I can't conceive it's 100% unrelated.

Based on his past actions, does Mike strike you as the type of guy who would just let that go and not be revenge minded? Specifically, his use of the brand name as he sees fit was called into question in a huge scale in a massively public way. I can think few things that would be anywhere near as threatening to that man.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:59:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 02, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »

Of course Mike totally sidestepped questions about unreleased material, because there is a big upcoming project that has to remain as "tight lipped" as possible until ready! Remember what happened with Al blowing the surprise of a Smile box set? Ain't no way on earth a major label would want that to happen again, so it wouldn't surprise me if all parties involved were asked/instructed to not say to much. Come on guys, common sense shouldn't be this hard.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1289 on: September 02, 2020, 02:20:37 PM »

Of course Mike totally sidestepped questions about unreleased material, because there is a big upcoming project that has to remain as "tight lipped" as possible until ready! Remember what happened with Al blowing the surprise of a Smile box set? Ain't no way on earth a major label would want that to happen again, so it wouldn't surprise me if all parties involved were asked/instructed to not say to much. Come on guys, common sense shouldn't be this hard.

Not trying to be crusty here or anything, but have you read this entire thread? Most of the stuff you're talking about has already been asked and answered.

Multiple band members have already discussed the "Feel Flows" set publicly.  People who have worked on the set have spoken about it publicly. There's no "secret" here.

The whole point of this movement is that we know the set exists, is finished, and is NOT scheduled for release. Many have already addressed the theory that everything is fine and they just haven't "officially announced" something yet: That theory is not accurate at all.

In case anybody needs a more unequivocal way to put this: From everything I've heard, the recent interview with Mike was not *at all* about any strategy to "surprise" everybody with the set, or about any other edict about not discussing the set at all to the point of professing seeming ignorance as to the general robust nature of the vaults in general.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:23:41 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: September 02, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »

Read the entire thread. These questions have already been answered, to varying degrees of specificity. In short, none of these theories are at play. The set is ready to go. There is no beef about the contents of the set. I could go on, but as I said, this has all already been gone over multiple times in previous posts in this thread.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 02, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »

I genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Given how much you have claimed this forum is supposedly a Mike Love Hate Club I'm leaning toward you're actually being serious.

AL ALREADY SPILLED THE BEANS ABOUT THIS SET. BRUCE ALREADY SPILLED THE BEANS ABOUT THIS SET. One of the three people who worked on this set came here and not only confirmed this set exists but said he had saved the thing from dying on the vine twice, and that is was basically dead now.

Seriously, stop drinking the kool aid at the EH forum....the place where logic goes to die. I get that some there are offended by the "wild" "agenda drive" speculation (heaven forbid we make logical theories based off of the actual history regarding Mike and boxsets), but it should be painfully obvious what is going on when not only the co-maker of this set comes here and says this set is sitting on a shelf, but also that Mike completely ignored that this set even exists when asked straight up about archival material.

Al was excited for the set. Bruce was excited for the set. Brian has a documentary coming out named after a song on 'Surf's Up'. Mike was pretty much straight up asked about a boxset that TWO of his bandmates already spoke publicly about and he ignores it and starts getting giddy about some lousy remakes for the 60th. Can't wait to hear Boyz 2 Men cover 'Amusement Parks USA'.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 02, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »

I'm well aware that all of the members of the group have talked about the set, and I'm well aware there is no "secret" about it. The point I was trying to make is that whenever a big project is being readied for release nobody wants any specific details to leak until the right time. So obviously Mike would want to not give the public to many specific details until the right moment.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 02, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »

Mike Love, throughout the history of the band, has normally been extremely eager to “tease” information to the press about upcoming releases. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: September 02, 2020, 03:17:05 PM »

I’m gonna say this right now what’s gonna happen. We’ll get some kind of mandatory release at the end digital only; we *might* end up with an actual release to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Surfin. Which granted makes little sense as it couldn’t be any more different but that’s the BB for you, especially considering a certain member’s complete lack of commercial common sense despite being obsessed with commerciality above all else.

Ah screw the certain member phrase. Mike. Mike. Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike .

Yup

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: September 02, 2020, 03:19:02 PM »

I'm well aware that all of the members of the group have talked about the set, and I'm well aware there is no "secret" about it. The point I was trying to make is that whenever a big project is being readied for release nobody wants any specific details to leak until the right time. So obviously Mike would want to not give the public to many specific details until the right moment.

True but it’s past the point of it being leaked. It’s more of it being suppressed

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 02, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »

What specific details? He could've just acknowledged that the set even exists! Given that Al and Bruce have already publicly acknowledged it, it is very telling to me that Mike completely ignored the set altogether....given Howie's information and the lack of any positive update.

Mike Love, throughout the history of the band, has normally been extremely eager to “tease” information to the press about upcoming releases.  

Yep.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: September 02, 2020, 03:28:25 PM »

Wrong.

First of all, the interview wasn't asking Mike for a friggin' tracklisting or anything. It didn't even ask specifically about one particular release (e.g. "Feel Flows"). It was basically a "wow, you guys sure have a big archive of interesting material, right?", with the answer being essentially, "meh, I dunno, but here's some other idea I have for next year for something nobody wants, for which I'll actually go into some amount of detail."

Given how other band members have spoken of a 70/71 boxed set, there's NO reason Mike wouldn't be able to say "yeah, there's some interesting stuff in the archives, in fact, they've been working on another set recently."

I think there absolutely *could* be reasons to not talk about the boxed set, but I don't believe those reasons would have anything to do with keeping elements of the set a surprise, or for fear of info leaking out.

I don't know how many times or ways I can explain that what has happened with this set is NOT a normal cycle/pattern/schedule for how such sets go.

You have numerous people doing everything but naming every name and gory detail, trying to explain with big light-up signs "Hey, this set was ready to go and now something is keeping it from happening. It's sufficiently an abnormal, concerning issue such that big giant red flags need to be waved, and fans need to be called to voice their support."

Nobody needed to do this for "Sunshine Tomorrow", or the '68 sets, or the "Party" set, and so on.

This "Feel Flows" situation is different. And for a zillionth time, I can only also say that nobody would ever be able to just guess the precise reason this is all going down this way. It's not only not a normal release cycle for a project, I'd also say it's fair to say the current reason(s) for the ongoing delay are out of the ordinary even compared to normal reasons such sets are delayed or not released. There is no squabble over tracklistings, no issues about credits or royalties, no beef about the cover art or book or packaging. The only real commonality between this situation and past situations is what Jon Stebbins mentioned in his post, that it ultimately ends up being a result of the band, or a member or members, doing their circular firing squad thing.

I'm reminded of back in the 90s when someone asked Neil Aspinall at Apple in an interview about why they wouldn't release a set of all the Beatles' music videos. His answer was something like "that would be too obvious." I think the current BB situation, while not anything specifically like that at all, is a similar situation as far as hearing the reasons for the product not coming out, and thinking "Huh? What?"

As I've said, the reasons may be complicated and unlikely to be known any time soon, if ever, but it's also a situation that can easily be bypassed if the needed parties just realize this set is important and needs to be released now, and that nothing bad will come of it, only ALL GOOD STUFF. For everybody.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 02, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

Would like to know how many unique previously unreleased songs might be on this box. That would give us a sense of whether or not it is a complete disaster if the box doesn't come out this year.

The '69 set was 3 tracks.

Given the number of tracks from this era that have found their way onto previous official releases, there might be say 15 previously unreleased songs, but there might be 60. I just don't know what's in the archives, beyond what is on widely circulating boots.

This will make a big difference to the viability of the set beyond 31 Dec.

This begs the question of whether or not the digital only release would get approval this year.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:16:21 PM by thetojo » Logged
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 02, 2020, 04:42:38 PM »

I just shared it to my beach boys instagram profile that has 3,700 followers. Hopefully we’ll get some more signatures!!!

Give a follow if you’re on Instagram, thanks!! https://www.instagram.com/p/CEpyOzese49/?igshid=j0ht951u3olc

I frequently have Carnie Wilson and Al’s verified account like and comment on my posts, so maybe this will gain some traction!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx