gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:22:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841928 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: August 14, 2020, 10:42:18 PM »

Let's not forget, a few short years ago, very recently in fact, Mike started playing All I Wanna Do in concert. And he did it more than a few times.

And seemingly, he perhaps did it partly in response to growing positive Internet buzz about the song, as if he had forgotten that it was a song he had written that had this level of acclaim that he had been unaware of until recently.

So... that is at least a recent example of Mike responding positively to positive buzz about his contributions from that era.

What has changed since then?

Who knows how much bad blood was generated behind the scenes after the awful trophy hunting show which Brian and Al publicly spoke out against. Who knows how much that may have strained relations behind the scenes. If Mike is as vengeful as his buddy Donald Trump, he would perhaps do any number of things purely out of revenge.

As somebody else speculated earlier, I think this could have something to do with the amount of incredible Dennis Wilson content during that time which might make Mike feel more of an inferiority complex if it got too much Wilson-centric praise for his liking. I really think Mike can only tolerate a certain amount of public praise aimed specifically at *The Wilsons* before he lashes out. Yet of course, Mike would still have his chance to shine without a doubt on this box set. There is zero doubt in my mind he would still come out looking good from his contributions.

To take Mike out of the equation, I suppose it could be possible that there are some non band songwriters who contributed to some of the material who might be holding out for more money. But my hunch tells me that the answer is somewhere closer to the vicinity of some of the ideas I am hypothesizing about above.

I should also add, I'd love to be completely wrong about my ideas. I don't want any of this stuff to be true whatsoever. It speaks of dysfunction and utter tragic family dynamic and I hope to God that I am wrong. And I also hope that this set comes out and that I can eat my words which I would be more than happy to do.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:34:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 14, 2020, 10:58:14 PM »

This is pure speculation and I know very little about the facts involved, but:

I think it's interesting to consider that Mike stated under oath (during one of his litigations against Brian) that Brian ceased contributing to the Beach Boys after 1967. I'm not sure to what degree his case hinged on this argument, nor can I remember which specific lawsuit it pertained to. Still, I think it's arguable that Mike has a lot of investment in preserving that false narrative.

Yes we've had the 1967-68 sets which got through seemingly without his objection, but they were pretty low key, especially Wake the World and I Can Hear Music which weren't promoted whatsoever. Maybe Mike has concerns about a well publicised release bringing Brian's level of activity in 69-71 into public attention. He certainly has long benefited from the 'Brian went to bed' myth - could it be that he actually fears legal ramifications if his statements in line with that myth are proven false in front of a larger audience?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:01:14 PM by Tom » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: August 15, 2020, 02:01:34 AM »

Talk of this set changing the way the Beach Boys are viewed seems far fetched to me in relation to some of the theories being put forward.

Of course the set will be incredible for us die hard fans but Sunflower/Surfs Up and lots of previously unreleased bits and pieces from that era are already out there.

The SMiLE sessions are out there! Nothing is gonna beat that IMO in relation to changing the way the band are viewed.

Huge thanks to all the guys who helped put it together. I'm confident we will get it soon.....ish.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:05:57 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 15, 2020, 03:19:02 AM »

Talk of this set changing the way the Beach Boys are viewed seems far fetched to me in relation to some of the theories being put forward.

Of course the set will be incredible for us die hard fans but Sunflower/Surfs Up and lots of previously unreleased bits and pieces from that era are already out there.

The SMiLE sessions are out there! Nothing is gonna beat that IMO in relation to changing the way the band are viewed.

Huge thanks to all the guys who helped put it together. I'm confident we will get it soon.....ish.

I agree, while Sunflower and Surfs Up are good the amount of times the record label rejected this material should mean at least something. I’m looking forward to hopefully hearing this stuff if and when it does get released but to think it’s going to be some profound revelation that will change music history is going a bit far.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 15, 2020, 05:40:24 AM »

Howie (the guy who spent three years helping put this set together) said that “It forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade.

Which no matter how you look at it would change the perception of The Beach Boys for a lot of people (even if just slightly). Many people will likely always see them as a fun-in-the-sun band, but for those of us who delve a little deeper, this set is supposed to be a complete game-changer.

It’s my theory that the guy who pushed the lie that Brian only “stayed in bed doing drugs and collecting checks for three decades” (paraphrase, but it is nearly verbatim from the 2005 lawsuit) wouldn’t want even more evidence out there to prove him wrong (even though there is already a mountain of evidence to prove him wrong).

- Howie came on this forum to let us know this set is entirely completed and it has no scheduled release date (and frighteningly he already saved this set from dying on the vine TWICE).
- According to Bruce or Al, this set was supposed to come out in February 2020 (it has likely been ready to go for a long time).
- If there were ANY deals/talks currently going on about any content in the set Howie would not have come on here and spoke about the set being shelved (but clearly this thing is just dead at the moment)
- Someone in the band clearly doesn’t want this set out. It’s probably not Bruce or Al because they were both excited enough to spill the beans about it ages ago (and Bruce was the “MVP” for being so detailed in his interviews for the liner notes for Feel Flows). It’s probably not Carl’s estate because why would they refuse to make money off of this set? It’s probably not Brian because, according to Howie, Brian went so in depth for the liner notes interview (especially regarding the song ‘Marcella’) thus obviously Brian approved of this boxset otherwise he wouldn’t have wasted his time doing the interview in the first place. That leaves one guy who has a history of badmouthing the Wilson’s and lying about Brian’s involvement with the band during this era
- Mike was asked about archival releases the other day and completely snubbed this set. If he were keeping quiet because there was infighting/talks going on I would understand. But, again, if there were talks going on then Howie would not have come on here because doing so would possibly disrupt the talks. But this set is clearly dead at the moment.

And that’s the most alarming part: if this were a qualm about a liner note or a veto for a couple songs, I’m sure those problems could have been worked out months ago. But instead this thing is just collecting dust on a shelf and clearly no talks are going on at the moment (again, otherwise Howie wouldn’t have come on here to make some waves).

I wish there was more we could do other than sign a petition, but hopefully that goes somewhere. What a damn shame all this is happening.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 15, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:38:22 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 15, 2020, 08:02:38 AM »

I'm just trying to think of different angles here, but I remember vaguely Mike wanting his daughter(s)? to sing some song on the 50th tour, but Melinda putting a stop to it cause it was a Brian lead? Am I remembering this wrong?

It could be Brians camp that stopping this release behind Brians back.

It could be Mike holding it up for leverage for a 60th reunion.

It could be the record label thinking the final product isn't strong enough.

It could be a bunch of small things adding to a bigger problem.

It could be Bruce or Al stopping it and speaking about it in the press to save face (joking)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: August 15, 2020, 08:17:03 AM »

I'm just trying to think of different angles here, but I remember vaguely Mike wanting his daughter(s)? to sing some song on the 50th tour, but Melinda putting a stop to it cause it was a Brian lead? Am I remembering this wrong?

It could be Brians camp that stopping this release behind Brians back.

It could be Mike holding it up for leverage for a 60th reunion.

It could be a bunch of small things adding to a bigger problem.

It could be Bruce or Al stopping it and speaking about it in the press to save face (joking)

You forgot to add that it's my fault.   Cool Guy Wink Razz LOL Grin Banana Kool-Aid Man

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 15, 2020, 08:21:22 AM »

If it is Mike stopping it, can't he simply be out voted by the others?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 15, 2020, 08:22:15 AM »

Jon Stebbins has said in this very thread that the label wants this thing released.

And I just can't see Brian's camp being petty enough to completely halt a release like this - without any negotiation or compromise. I mean, Mark Linett is the guy who played Chuck Britz in Brian's own major motion picture biopic...Linett doesn't seem like the kind of guy that Brian's camp would completely give the finger to. Also, this thing is a moneymaker and it only helps Brian's camp (both in image and financially - especially with Long Promised Road still awaiting some official release).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:25:56 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 15, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »

I think it was HeyJude who came on and talked about this many pages back (I can't find the post), but I think because it isn't already officially released material it needs a unanimous vote. Like, I think the gist was that if this were a compilation of previously released material it could be released by a majority vote, but because it is full of unreleased stuff every voting member has to agree to it.

I could totally be misremembering that, hopefully HeyJude can chime in on this.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1136 on: August 15, 2020, 08:25:23 AM »

If they tried that I have a feeling there would be threat of some kind of legal action to follow...but it's all speculation.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: August 15, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »

I guess the question too is what makes *this set* different than the previous releases of similar deep vault material? For all the speculation, the only thing we have to go on that's new is Mike's interview from two days ago where he not only ignores the box set completely and claims he doesn't know what's in the vaults (even though this specific project has been happening for 2+ years), but he also shifts the conversation to his plans for a 60th anniversary bash including more remakes, guest singers covering the tunes, and more compilations.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 15, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »

I guess the question too is what makes *this set* different than the previous releases of similar deep vault material?

Perhaps it is indeed the fact that it "forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade."

I mean, so many fans already knew about SMiLE and had their hands on instrumentals and sessions. While Wild Honey/Friends/2020 are great albums they aren't groundbreaking. But Sunflower is ranked up there in Rolling Stone's 200 Greatest Albums Of All Time list (I'm not even sure SMiLE made that list)...and surely a set like this would only bolster that ranking. It could just be that good.

And as others have pointed out, maybe it's not even the content of the set but rather the set is being used as leverage for the 60th reunion. And on that note, if I had a choice between getting a 60th reunion or the Feel Flows set I would 100% take the Feel Flows set. I've been completely content with Brian's lineup, people seem to enjoy Mike's gigs (good enough that people risk contracting COVID to see them). What could the 60th give us that could even top the C50? I'll take the magic of this boxset over the drama of a 60th reunion.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1139 on: August 15, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »

I agree - I guess I should clarify and add what makes this set different from the others in that it is being held up as it is, while the others didn't seem to have such issues, especially after the set was basically ready to go.

As far as a 60th concert tour or something? I agree - That ship already sailed way back in Fall 2012.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: August 15, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »

I agree - I guess I should clarify and add what makes this set different from the others in that it is being held up as it is, while the others didn't seem to have such issues, especially after the set was basically ready to go.

As far as a 60th concert tour or something? I agree - That ship already sailed way back in Fall 2012.

Also, the idea *if* the FF box set is somehow being used as leverage in some fashion for a 60th reunion is gross as hell (if it's true, which I doubt it is). If that were true, how could any fan enjoy an onstay"reunion" that would come about essentially via blackmail, arm twisting, and using the threat of screwing over deceased bandmates' legacies by not releasing great material in order to force their petty current touring demands on their bandmates. I'm not buying that's the reason, but if it is, it's awful.

Yeah, if the box set is being used as leverage, it's disgusting no matter how you spin it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:23:23 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 15, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 15, 2020, 10:01:56 AM »

THIS.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 15, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but if the material surpasses the 50 year mark without being released, Mike and the guys lose the copyright and the label can release the boxset however they please?

At least the unreleased content of the box set? Or am I completely wrong about this?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:46:09 AM by twentytwenty » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »

99% of us are guessing here but the Love vs Wilson ego stuff doesn't make sense for me.

Lots of Brian stuff in recent copyright drops...68 stuff for instance. Proof is already on Sunflower anyway that Brian wasn't in bed, he's all over it.

It's likely down to some financial gripe between Mike and Brian IMO or perhaps outside writers.

Mike is the only author of "Big Sur" right? That's always seemed a little odd to me and perhaps is a reason why the 4/4 version has never been released. Does Mike even care about that song though? probably not.

I've read what Howie and Jon have said but I'm hopeful that whatever is stalling it will get sorted and it will be released in the near future.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 15, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »

But didn’t Mike recently re-record 4/4 Big Sur? Some were expecting to see it appear on his recent solo offerings but in the end all we got was YouTube clip I think.

rab, that pic reminds me of someone on the board who used to do amazing mockups of fantasy Beach Boys releases, during the Smile Sessions era perhaps (9 years, f***). Where is that valued poster these days?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
smog police
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 15, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »

Hi guys, I'm a huge BB fan and as such am desperate to see this thing come to light. I've always kept an eye on Smiley Smile to satiate my thirst for everything BB-related. The whole Feel Flows project and the work put into it behind the scenes has prompted me to sign up here and have my two-cents-worth - as stated previously, FF has the potential to be a game changer and in the grand scheme of things can only benefit this amazing band's legacy as a whole, personal differences aside. I'm sure there are many more like me who haven't voiced their love of the BBs on here before but really want to see the project come to full fruition and are ready to spend their hard-earned money on what would be the perfect Christmas present. I live in hope that one day the full FF set will sit next to my beloved BB vinyl collection and boxset releases.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:11:04 PM by smog police » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 15, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »

rab, that pic reminds me of someone on the board who used to do amazing mockups of fantasy Beach Boys releases, during the Smile Sessions era perhaps (9 years, f***). Where is that valued poster these days?

I remember those! I forget who it was but man they really helped get us hyped up for the set. Can't believe that was almost 10 years ago - how time flies!

Hi guys, I'm a huge BB fan and as such am desperate to see this thing come to light. I've always kept a eye on Smiley Smile to satiate my thirst for everything BB-related. The whole Feel Flows project and the work put into it behind the scenes has prompted me to sign up here and have my two-cents-worth - as stated previously, FF has the potential to be a game changer and in the grand scheme of things can only benefit this amazing band's legacy as a whole, personal differences aside. I'm sure there are many more like me who haven't voiced their love of the BBs on here before but really want to see the project come to full fruition and are ready to spend their hard-earned money on what would be the perfect Christmas present. I live in hope that one day the full FF set will sit next to my beloved BB vinyl collection and boxset releases.

Thanks for joining and adding your voice to the mix. For better or for worse, this place is looked at by those close to and (at times) by those in the band. So your voice is definitely noted. Hopefully whoever it is that is in the position of giving this set the green light will hear the voices and have a change of heart.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:06:09 PM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 15, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »

I think the poster was "earcandy"....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 15, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »

Great memory, SB!

Only two of EarCandy's creations were still available to view. Shame his boxset concepts weren't still up.

And I've still yet to make my little bottle of SMiLE sandbox sand!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx