gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680741 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:32:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 844290 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1075 on: August 12, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »

The petition reached its initial goal of 500 signatures overnight.

Pointless exercise or not, at least fans who are now aware of the situation have an opportunity to voice their support for releasing this set.

It makes me wonder why some elements of the Beach Boys fan community are against this petition, and also seem to be upset at fans who are speaking up and saying they'd like to see it released.

Hmmm.

Anyway, the petition reached its initial 500 signature goal, now the results can be seen by those most closely involved.

Well done.  Smiley

I think the goal is incremental.  When I first looked at it the initial goal was 250, then it moved to 500, now it is 1000.

That's true, it's incremental - 500 was the goal as of yesterday and it was met, so now it increases.

500 signatures and counting from fans supporting a deluxe box set is a pretty strong message being sent, I'd think.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:15:30 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:59 AM »

Pointless exercise or not, at least fans who are now aware of the situation have an opportunity to voice their support for releasing this set.

It makes me wonder why some elements of the Beach Boys fan community are against this petition, and also seem to be upset at fans who are speaking up and saying they'd like to see it released.

Hmmm.

Anyway, the petition reached its initial 500 signature goal, now the results can be seen by those most closely involved.

Well done.  Smiley

I think the goal is incremental.  When I first looked at it the initial goal was 250, then it moved to 500, now it is 1000.

That's true, it's incremental - 500 was the goal as of yesterday and it was met, so now it increases.

500 signatures and counting from fans supporting a deluxe box set is a pretty strong message being sent, I'd think.

I agree, especially since it has only been talked about on message boards, no widespread coverage of it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 12, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »

*cough* "Feels flow" protest signs at M&B shows?.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 12, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »

*cough* "Feels flow" protest signs at M&B shows?.....

Sure...but let's be artful about it--

FREE THE FLOW!!!!

50 of these babies at the M&B shows ought to get the coins clicking in a certain someone's change purse...  3D
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 12, 2020, 02:51:13 PM »

Hmmm.

Well done.  Smiley

Earlier in the year, there was a petition vowing to boycott Beach Boys performances and releases, thst had far more signatures.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: August 12, 2020, 03:10:45 PM »

Hmmm.

Well done.  Smiley

Earlier in the year, there was a petition vowing to boycott Beach Boys performances and releases, thst had far more signatures.

That petition started far outside Beach Boys fan circles, hit the international media, and went viral with both political and moral overtones. No comparison in origin, scope, or intent to this one with fans petitioning the release of a box set.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 13, 2020, 09:21:47 AM »

I signed the petition.  I love The Beach Boys.  The sound of those boys around a microphone singing together is my very favourite sound on earth.  It truly is. 

I am certain that this Feel Flows set contains more moments that the world needs right now.  Harmony of the purest kind.  Carl Wilson said, "The music does have a spiritual a spiritual quality to it.  Just an indescribable thing it did to the environment."  I agree.  The world could really use more of these moments.  I urge those with any sway to help make this wonderful and often criminally over-looked period of the boys history help heal, educate and bring more recognition to a band that deserves it.  My thanks to Mark Linett and Alan Boyd who have worked very hard for many years to protect and grow the legacy of The Beach Boys.  Stay safe folks and Add Some Music To Your Day!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 13, 2020, 11:13:34 AM »

The "other" board's legendary historian is blaming "us" for the box set fiasco. Roll Eyes Kinda like the wack-ass David Beard article that blamed the fans for the trophy hunting gig...

Hell, they singled out OSD for stating his opinions on M&B as a reason BBs fans don't deserve this set.

P.S- There are potshots at GF2002...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:16:06 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 13, 2020, 12:54:46 PM »

Yeah, Melinda (oops! Cat's out of the bag on that!), one would think he'd want to stay far away from that Alan Boyd "appalling" comment. For any audience from the EH forum, here is the reply that Guitarfool gave to Alan regarding why he didn't buy that set:

When the tracks are on the Beach Boys official YouTube channel, how is it appalling to listen there?

What's appalling is to see a person who exhibited bad behavior, in some cases the words and comments bordering on slanderous and extending from trashing other fans to gossiping about and slandering band members and families, getting acknowledged. If someone insults, lies about, or in any other way wrongs people I consider friends, they're off the radar. And I don't support their future endeavors where their name is attached.

Sorry if that's offensive, but maybe a lot of people still don't know what went on and how dirty it got. Maybe I'm old fashioned but words matter and actions have consequences. In this case, that credit put a stain on an otherwise terrific project.

The part in yellow is emphasized by me. The obvious stupidity is that "someone" (your guess is probably correct lol) is casting stones at Guitarfool for listening to YouTube tracks provided BY THE BAND whilst completely ignoring that they themselves spread vile gossip about Brian Wilson's wife behind the scenes (which is why Guitarfool chose not to buy that specific set in the first place). So listening to tracks that make the band money on YouTube versus sharing the ridiculous idea that Melinda only adopted her kids for tax reasons (and that's one of the less colorful pieces of gossip)...this is a perfect example of the mindset of many of the posters over there, which is why so many of us will never sign up there. I think what's most offensive is that "someone" thinks so little of their fellow poster's intelligence that they'd be so brazen to throw shade at others for supposedly disrespecting the band (for listening to YouTube tracks? haha) given their history of actually disrespecting Brian Wilson's own family (thus obviously disrespecting Brian himself).

And sincere apologies to my fellow SS posters for bringing this up here. As I will never have an account at the "Endless Harmony" forum (probably the most ironic name they could've come up with) I'm limited to how I can reply to the absurd posts made there...and when I see complete distortion of the facts, and people trying to purposefully confuse the facts I feel I have to respond somehow. And given that these facts have never been argued against (and likely never will) hopefully this will be the last of it.

Wanted to add this in:

Hell, they singled out OSD for stating his opinions on M&B as a reason BBs fans don't deserve this set.

So if blunt fan opinions are the basis of being "ashamed" for being a part of the fandom, what feelings do these people get when Mike Love himself says that some of Brian's music "sounds like sh*t"? People are gonna have opinions, and opinions hurt less than straight up lies that can damage someone's reputation. But over there, in their odd version of reality, Mike Love being criticized for his vocals is more disruptive to the fandom than spreading complete horseshit about Melinda Wilson. Gotta love it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:40:54 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: August 13, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »

Folks,

I don’t think we’re getting Feel Flows. Mike Love interview from today - he is asked about archival releases, and basically says he’s looking toward the 60th anniversary and the “special” things they might be doing for that - including some kind of talk about collaborations with other artists:

https://youtu.be/OWz7Stun-KI

(forward to around 9:00)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:02:16 PM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: August 13, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »

Transcript of the interview segment:

Darren Paltrowitz:
"The last time I interviewed you was two to three years ago, and during that interview you got a phone call from Jeffrey Foskett who had just discovered some kind of an archival release that you were thinking of putting out, and one thing that we haven't discussed is how many great archival releases from you and from The Beach Boys in the last three or four years. Is there lots and lots more in the vault that we can one day hope to hear?"

Mike Love:
"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault, but I'd, I'll tell you this, we're coming up on probably the 60th anniversary of the group in another year or so, and that warrants something special that's for sure, and so, um, I've got some ideas on that but we're too early to talk about it. But um, uh, I think there will be opportunities to come up with compilations and and as you say archival but also new renditions with other artists and stuff of many of our songs and that, that'll be a lot of fun to do. And I think I'm looking forward to what the future may bring."

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 13, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »

Sounds like we might finally be getting Stars and Stripes Vol. 2, though.  LOL Cry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:47:21 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:33 PM »

In all seriousness, you've gotta think if there weren't a hang up with Feel Flows then he would have mentioned it. So, not good.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: August 13, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »

Transcript of the interview segment:

Darren Paltrowitz:
"The last time I interviewed you was two to three years ago, and during that interview you got a phone call from Jeffrey Foskett who had just discovered some kind of an archival release that you were thinking of putting out, and one thing that we haven't discussed is how many great archival releases from you and from The Beach Boys in the last three or four years. Is there lots and lots more in the vault that we can one day hope to hear?"

Mike Love:
"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault, but I'd, I'll tell you this, we're coming up on probably the 60th anniversary of the group in another year or so, and that warrants something special that's for sure, and so, um, I've got some ideas on that but we're too early to talk about it. But um, uh, I think there will be opportunities to come up with compilations and and as you say archival but also new renditions with other artists and stuff of many of our songs and that, that'll be a lot of fun to do. And I think I'm looking forward to what the future may bring."

Just reposting that because it's the crux of the whole issue as of today August 13 when the interview was recorded.

Question: How can Mike not know what was in the vault when Bruce, for one, was interviewed along with Brian for the "Feel Flows" liner notes and the box set is reported as complete? I'm assuming the other band members were interviewed too but withholding that as fact until it's clarified...so how can Mike say he doesn't know when they're sitting on a box set that his bandmate Bruce (and Al Jardine) have mentioned publicly?

I gotta say re: Bruce. While doing the liners for the upcoming box set, we did a nearly three-hour interview. To ME -- he was the MVP. Amazing recall. Was able to put it in razor sharp perspective and proved that he's actually thought long and hard about this music. I wish we could use it all -- because he went far deeper than ever on this era, discussing at length what made this band tick during those years. He went full out. Pulled no punches.

Brian also went hardcore on the '69-'71 era in a way he hasn't anywhere else.
Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

I CANNOT wait for you all to hear this thing. It kills me that you haven't already.

Surely Mike knew and knows there was an upcoming box set in the works, so why would he not mention that when asked DIRECTLY about archival releases?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 13, 2020, 08:03:21 PM »

Also keep in mind that Mike has a verifiable track record of pushing blame onto others whenever he can, thus if Feel Flows were being held up by anyone else in the band I’d bet a lot of money that Mike would be quick to publicly share that information if asked about it directly (which he basically was here).

His wording about “opportunities” to “come up” with archival releases is worrisome. Mike, you have an archival release literally sitting on a shelf right now, no need to figure out any opportunities or come up with any ideas - heaven forbid Mike wants to overdub the Hanson brothers on Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again.

I feel really bad for Howie, Alan, and Mark. All their hard work and Mike doesn’t even acknowledge it (regardless of whoever is holding this up, Mike for sure 100% knows this exists and he just lied saying he doesn’t know how much is in the vault).

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 13, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »

"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault...".

I'm sure there's more, but, Ten Years of Harmony, Rarities, Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, CA, Pet Sounds Sessions, Smile Sessions, Made In California, The Big Beat 1963, Keep an Eye On Summer, Party! Uncovered and Unplugged, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow, 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow 2, Live Sunshine, 1968 Wake the World, 1968 I Can Hear Music, 1968 Live, FEEL FLOWS, and the avalanche of everything beyond, Mark Linett on that Sunset Sound stream from February with the San Miguel and Cottonfields samples talking about how The Beach Boys are unique in not only how much stuff they left behind, but how much GOOD stuff they left behind...

"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault...". He can't be serious!    
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:14:34 PM by Cork On The Ocean » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: August 13, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »

Sounds like we might finally be getting Stars and Stripes Vol. 2, though.  LOL Cry

I’d rather get jackhammered in various orifices by Freddy Krueger while dressed as Minnie Pearl  than a repeat of THAT abomination 🤨

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 13, 2020, 11:43:57 PM »

It'll be Stars & Stripes Vol. 2 but with Marc McGrath instead of the country singers on every single song.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 13, 2020, 11:58:25 PM »

I hope they’ll listen the voices of their fans and release the box set, but I think they’ll cancel and release a digital collection with some tracks from the box 🙁
We’re in the mid-August and no release date yet, so maybe if there’s no release date til September it will be canceled.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:17:16 AM by alanjames » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 14, 2020, 07:35:25 AM »

Mike sounded very evasive on these questions...

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: August 14, 2020, 07:45:57 AM »

I hope this is all just a brilliant PR campaign to generate buzz about this set...get a petition going, social media buzz, Mike Love completely snubs the set to get the people talking about how this set may not come out at all. Then in a week or two this thing is available for pre-order.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 14, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »

I hope this is all just a brilliant PR campaign to generate buzz about this set...get a petition going, social media buzz, Mike Love completely snubs the set to get the people talking about how this set may not come out at all. Then in a week or two this thing is available for pre-order.

The same thing crossed my mind! We can dream...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1097 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:14 AM »

Folks,

I don’t think we’re getting Feel Flows. Mike Love interview from today - he is asked about archival releases, and basically says he’s looking toward the 60th anniversary and the “special” things they might be doing for that - including some kind of talk about collaborations with other artists:

I think that was also one of the first things he mentioned about what a 2012 reunion could be like. That seems to be the first thing that comes to his mind: re-recordings with "hip" artists. To tell you the truth, I think this would be the worst they could do. Not only that they already did their share of these kind of recordings, it just is ridiculous. So, if the Beach Boys will record a new album, I hope "the people that handle Brian" will make sure it is of new material.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1098 on: August 14, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »

If anything I think the interview excerpt - keep in mind this was labeled as recorded yesterday (Aug. 13) - shows where Mike's enthusiasm and priorities exist. More compilations which will most likely include "greatest hits" and "summer hits" type of packages, and perhaps worse IMO even MORE remakes, rerecordings, and guest artists remaking Beach Boys classics.

I mean, seriously - Mike says it himself in that interview. I have to think that Mike feels that's the kind of product the fans will want to buy and be enthusiastic about. Remakes, guest artists, and more hits compilations.

Yet there is a box set project that has been worked on for several years, a set of music which Bruce was involved with via his extensive liner notes interview and a set which Bruce himself touted earlier this year along with Al, and Mike ignores it completely.

So either Mike wasn't being 100% honest when he claimed he doesn't know what's in the vaults after his bandmate teased a full box set taken from the vaults, or he simply dodged the question to show instead where *he* would like to see the band's and the brand's future activities proceed. Or maybe he just doesn't care and won't promote archival releases like this currently stalled box set. Anyone's guess.

But his words are there as of yesterday for all to consider.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 14, 2020, 08:43:40 AM »

Sounds like we might finally be getting Stars and Stripes Vol. 2, though.  LOL Cry

I’d rather get jackhammered in various orifices by Freddy Krueger while dressed as Minnie Pearl  than a repeat of THAT abomination 🤨

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Thread Trophy!!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx