gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:58:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841818 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »

We have historical precedent for historic/archival box sets being delayed, if that is indeed what could possibly happen here.

I'm sure I don't need to state the obvious but NOTHING HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED...

That said, in 1996, THE PET SOUNDS SESSIONS was to be released in the fall of that calendar year. How did I know? I read it in Ice Magazine one day in the CD shop I worked at.

In reality – it was delayed over 12 months and finally dropped in November, 1997.

Better late than never.

Yes, that's right.  The PS box was on release calendar for '96... and then turned up a full year later.  The scuttlebutt at the time was the delay was due to unhappiness with the liner notes and their author David Leaf on the part certain member(s).

When you think about, it was pretty miraculous that the Smile box more or less came out when it was scheduled to in 2011.  For some reason, the stars lined up for that one, very atypical in BB history, post-1966.  Of course, that release itself was only after a half-dozen or so false starts spread out over 44 years.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 29, 2020, 11:04:42 PM »

Of course a SMiLE box was first conceived with the intention of being a follow up to said Pet Sounds box set many years earlier.

Christ. SMiLE was promised to Warner for a 1972 release!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:06:02 PM by thetojo » Logged
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 29, 2020, 11:20:31 PM »

Another lurker coming out of the woodwork here. The uncertainty around the box set is definitely upsetting - hopefully Howie may be able to provide some further detail without having to name names.

I do wonder what Mike could possibly have against this set. There must be something in either the liner notes or studio dialogue that doesn't jive with his current image - remembering that he was a pretty 'out there' individual circa 69-71 (the apple juice fast, hanging out with Craig Smith etc). That's the only justification I can think of - protecting the brand that he currently prefers to put across when it comes to himself and his role in the band as the clean cut leader through adversity.

It also occurs to me that these recordings would clearly demonstrate Carl and Dennis taking the reins once Brian stepped back, with Mike's contributions being somewhat reduced. Again, maybe Mike doesn't like this, considering he's often praised as the one who held things together throughout that period.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: July 29, 2020, 11:29:29 PM »

We have historical precedent for historic/archival box sets being delayed, if that is indeed what could possibly happen here.

I'm sure I don't need to state the obvious but NOTHING HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED...

That said, in 1996, THE PET SOUNDS SESSIONS was to be released in the fall of that calendar year. How did I know? I read it in Ice Magazine one day in the CD shop I worked at.

In reality – it was delayed over 12 months and finally dropped in November, 1997.

Better late than never.

Yes, that's right.  The PS box was on release calendar for '96... and then turned up a full year later.  The scuttlebutt at the time was the delay was due to unhappiness with the liner notes and their author David Leaf on the part certain member(s).

When you think about, it was pretty miraculous that the Smile box more or less came out when it was scheduled to in 2011.  For some reason, the stars lined up for that one, very atypical in BB history, post-1966.  Of course, that release itself was only after a half-dozen or so false starts spread out over 44 years.

It was more than scuttlebutt - Mike Love had issues with the original PS box liner notes, he complained, they pulled the set from the release schedule, and the main result of the whole thing was Mike got to write his own commentary which they included in the revised package. If I'm wrong on any of that, please advise.

Maybe the scuttlebutt you're referring to was a rumor that an advance copy of the booklet was accidentally sent to Mike that wasn't supposed to be sent, he saw it and complained, and that's what kicked off the whole delay issue. Believe it or not, but that was the scuttlebutt. I also remember reading about both a PS Sessions and a Smile Sessions set in the pipeline in what I think was Tower Records' "Pulse" magazine, and I'm sure it was '95 or maybe even '94 because I was living a half-block away from Tower in Boston at the time and remember being ecstatic over that little news blurb when I brought that new issue home.

If you guys missed it, this was the deja vu a few of us were discussing a few pages back. As in, there have been precedents on this happening in the past with archival releases and releases in general, and again believe it or not, most of the hang-ups seemingly came from Mike Love.

And the real miracle, and this coming from people who were involved in the set at the time, was how that 45 minutes of Smile ever got released on the GV box set. Band members had veto power of what tracks to include, apparently Brian exercised his veto on "Let Him Run Wild" which is why that is a glaring omission from the GV box (Brian didn't like his vocal), and from what was told later a lot of convincing had to be done on several fronts to include as much of Smile as they did. And it turned out to be one of the best decisions they could have made, especially at that time and on that set. But I don't think any issues among band members delayed or even scuttled that release at any point. Again, I could be wrong.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 29, 2020, 11:38:17 PM »

I'm slow with reading threads on message boards... lifelong failing.

I do remember exactly the scenario you mentioned about Mike having an issue about the liner notes and the release being halted so it could be revised with his "elucidation" to use a Myke type word.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: July 29, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »

It was more than scuttlebutt - Mike Love had issues with the original PS box liner notes, he complained, they pulled the set from the release schedule, and the main result of the whole thing was Mike got to write his own commentary which they included in the revised package. If I'm wrong on any of that, please advise.

Maybe the scuttlebutt you're referring to was a rumor that an advance copy of the booklet was accidentally sent to Mike that wasn't supposed to be sent, he saw it and complained, and that's what kicked off the whole delay issue. Believe it or not, but that was the scuttlebutt. I also remember reading about both a PS Sessions and a Smile Sessions set in the pipeline in what I think was Tower Records' "Pulse" magazine, and I'm sure it was '95 or maybe even '94 because I was living a half-block away from Tower in Boston at the time and remember being ecstatic over that little news blurb when I brought that new issue home.

Yes, in early 1995, Billboard ran story a 3-CD set called "The Smile Era" (2 discs of Smile material and 1 disc of Good Vibrations sessions).  Leaf, Linett and some Capitol staff were quoted.

See Billboard, Feb. 4, 1995, p. 10
https://books.google.com/books?id=sAsEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA10&dq=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&pg=PA10#v=onepage&q=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&f=false

p. 127
https://books.google.com/books?id=sAsEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA127&dq=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&pg=PA127#v=onepage&q=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&f=false

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: July 30, 2020, 12:14:39 AM »

Wasn’t there also supposed to be a Good Vibrations sessions collection at one point as well?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 30, 2020, 12:24:28 AM »

Another lurker pitching in here. I've been a fan since 2013 when a friend bought the 50 Big Ones album. The 70's are my favorite period of Beach Boys music, and Sunflower is one of my favorite albums of all time - I listen to it more than Pet Sounds if I'm being honest. When I first heard about the copyright releases in 2015 I realized that eventually unreleased and alternate material from the 1970's would probably come out. I've been looking forward to an archival release from Sunflower since then. I bought Sunshine Tomorrow and the 1968 session albums released a couple of years ago, and every year I look forward to the unearthing of unreleased material. This box set would make my year.
My Smile Solution
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 30, 2020, 02:12:13 AM »

I'm also looking very much forward to this and have signed the petition
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 30, 2020, 02:17:42 AM »

The part that most interests me is hearing more unreleased Dennis material. It's criminal just how little we really have from what was arguably his creative peak in the early 70's. I really believe he could've been huge if he'd had the drive and discipline to write (and finish) more songs in the soul-rock style of Slip on Through, Going Your Way etc.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 30, 2020, 02:36:09 AM »

Signed the petition, thanks for sharing that, Mr Wilson Joliet!

Also, welcome to all the new posters here! You all should join the discussions, share your opinions, tell us your favorite albums.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 30, 2020, 03:53:45 AM »

HeyJude said earlier that liner notes and other content are NOT the hang-up with Feel Flows.  So we should drop that from our arguments concerning why there’s a delay. Please correct me if I’m wrong here.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 30, 2020, 06:27:13 AM »

Completed.
Liners.
Tracklisting.
Artwork.
Mixed.
Mastered.

So this leads us to WHO is blocking this set from being released:

Al? Al is the one who spilled the beans on this project in the first place, and he said it was coming out a long time ago. So even with the logic of a grade-school child one can easily deduce that he isn’t the hold up.
Bruce? Again, Bruce talked about this thing publicly and said it was being released in Feb 2020 (at one point). Logically he (along with Al) were excited about the release of it. (Though I can’t remember if Bruce has a vote, so this point may not matter).
Carl’s estate? They want to make money, no way did they veto this.
Brian? Again, he/Melinda want to make money. Unless there was something in the liner notes that was bending the truth, I can’t see in a million years Brian holding this up. And if there was a wording issue or a content issue I can’t imagine that the makers of the set wouldn’t try to rectify such a problem immediately.
Mike? Just look at his history of blocking sets. The guy is the only one from this group petulant enough to block fans from hearing great music just to satisfy his ego. Look at his history of lawsuits, interviews, acts towards other people he dislikes. It really wouldn’t surprise any of us if he were the reason this isn’t coming out.

And just to clarify my reason for previously thinking COVID was a possible hangup for this set: at the time I and others speculated that since there was still no official word as to whether this thing even had a release date, that the label was just waiting for a right time to announce/release this thing. Covid has messed so many things up in any industry - I mean when one person tests positive many businesses have to shut down for 2 weeks. There are just so many gray areas when it comes to life in the Covid world, hence I think it was a logical deduction to think that a global pandemic that had/has the possibility of killing millions of people worldwide could have caused a delay.

Now that we know there is no delay because there’s not anything to delay, it does make sense that this is a political issue. A completely finished product is just sitting on a shelf with possibly no future. And I’m not even surprised. Angry? Yeah. Disappointed? Absolutely. Surprised? Nah, the one thing this band is consistent at is fucking up any and almost every opportunity that comes their way.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 30, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »

What if the boxset is delayed because they were planning to announce it together with the announcement of a world tour of the reunited Beach Boys but now the tour is on-hold due to COVID-19?
Am I being too hopeful?  Wink

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:28:01 AM by STE » Logged
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 30, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »

What if the boxset is delayed because they were planning to announce it together with the announcement of a world tour of the reunited Beach Boys but now the tour is on-hold due to COVID-19?
Am being I too hopeful?  Wink

Yes.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 30, 2020, 07:46:40 AM »

So we have the following

Yes, in early 1995, Billboard ran story a 3-CD set called "The Smile Era" (2 discs of Smile material and 1 disc of Good Vibrations sessions).  Leaf, Linett and some Capitol staff were quoted.

See Billboard, Feb. 4, 1995, p. 10
https://books.google.com/books?id=sAsEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA10&dq=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&pg=PA10#v=onepage&q=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&f=false

p. 127
https://books.google.com/books?id=sAsEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA127&dq=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&pg=PA127#v=onepage&q=beach%20boys%20%22Smile%20era%22%20Billboard&f=false

So we have the following announced and unfulfilled dates for a Smile release:

Jan 1967
May 1967
Jan 1973
late 1988
August 1995

If it wasn't for BWPS we would never have gotten the Smile Sessions box!
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 30, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »

Am I naive if I'm thinking the songs on the box set doesn't have enough of involvement from a certain Mr. Love?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: July 30, 2020, 08:07:27 AM »

Just a bit of advice that may help fans focus on things worth focusing on with this set:

It's perhaps worth looking less at *why* the box is being delayed and more at the fact that it *is* being delayed, delayed to the point where it's not on the release schedule and it's distressingly unclear whether it'll come out at all.

I don't really know how much more detail can be offered on the specifics of why the hold-up is happening. I used the "Pet Sounds Sessions" example awhile back as an example of how something *unrelated* to the contents of a set might cause someone to hold a set up. This was an imperfect example of course, because issues with liner notes is sort of "content", but I also specifically mentioned that nothing like that liner notes situation was the case with "Feel Flows."

I don't think it's out of line to suggest that the content of this set is not what's causing a party or parties to hold this up. The band knew/knows the set was being compiled, and work on the set was finished. Remember, this sets involves handling tapes owned by BRI. People can't touch the tapes let alone compile a boxed set from those tapes unless BRI allows that work to take place. Further, there is plenty of precedent for the compilers on these sets removing tracks if they're vetoed by any band member. These sets don't live or die on one particular track.

I also used a (seemingly) goofier example in a previous post where we envision a band where a member or two consults a mystical numerologist who tells them no release date right now is advisable. Again, nothing like *that* specifically is going on with "Feel Flows", but the purpose of that example is to envision a case where a set is being held up for reasons unrelated to the content of the boxed set. As I've said numerous times now, this is both extra frustrating but also more reason for us to lobby for this set to be put on the schedule, because in this scenario nobody has an issue with the content (whether we're talking the actual music, or the liners, or the cover art, packaging, etc.).

So, again, it might be worthwhile to look not at *why* the set hasn't been calendared, and more at the simple fact that it hasn't been and may not, and they we've got to convince the band to do a great thing *for the band* and also for the fans.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: July 30, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »

Just a bit of advice that may help fans focus on things worth focusing on with this set:

It's perhaps worth looking less at *why* the box is being delayed and more at the fact that it *is* being delayed, delayed to the point where it's not on the release schedule and it's distressingly unclear whether it'll come out at all.

I don't really know how much more detail can be offered on the specifics of why the hold-up is happening. I used the "Pet Sounds Sessions" example awhile back as an example of how something *unrelated* to the contents of a set might cause someone to hold a set up. This was an imperfect example of course, because issues with liner notes is sort of "content", but I also specifically mentioned that nothing like that liner notes situation was the case with "Feel Flows."

I don't think it's out of line to suggest that the content of this set is not what's causing a party or parties to hold this up. The band knew/knows the set was being compiled, and work on the set was finished. Remember, this sets involves handling tapes owned by BRI. People can't touch the tapes let alone compile a boxed set from those tapes unless BRI allows that work to take place. Further, there is plenty of precedent for the compilers on these sets removing tracks if they're vetoed by any band member. These sets don't live or die on one particular track.

I also used a (seemingly) goofier example in a previous post where we envision a band where a member or two consults a mystical numerologist who tells them no release date right now is advisable. Again, nothing like *that* specifically is going on with "Feel Flows", but the purpose of that example is to envision a case where a set is being held up for reasons unrelated to the content of the boxed set. As I've said numerous times now, this is both extra frustrating but also more reason for us to lobby for this set to be put on the schedule, because in this scenario nobody has an issue with the content (whether we're talking the actual music, or the liners, or the cover art, packaging, etc.).

So, again, it might be worthwhile to look not at *why* the set hasn't been calendared, and more at the simple fact that it hasn't been and may not, and they we've got to convince the band to do a great thing *for the band* and also for the fans.

Respectfully saying this in reply, but that's like being invited to a wedding where the seats are filled with family and friends, the groom is standing with the preacher and wedding party waiting for the bride to walk down the aisle, the wedding march is playing on the organ, and the bride never shows up. The first thing everyone is going to ask is "What happened?".

So fans should envision a scenario where it's been suggested it's not the label, it's not the actual content, yet the resistance is coming from within the band who had all signed off on the project, given interviews, and in a few cases teased the set publicly. Yet content isn't the issue.

So fans are left - according to the above scenarios - assuming someone in the band just decided to block the whole thing for the time being, for some reason other than what's actually on the completed box set? And we're supposed to convince the bride...I mean, the one(s) holding this back...to walk down the aisle without knowing why it didn't happen?

In order to convince someone to rethink a decision, it has to be known why they made the decision in the first place.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 30, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »

I've commented on Mike Love's last Facebook post two days in a row now.

My last one:

Hey Mike, still want to hear that Feel Flows box set! In fact, "All I Wanna Do" is "Add Some Music To My Day!"

Here's his Facebook for anyone else who wants to chime in:

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 30, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »

Respectfully saying this in reply, but that's like being invited to a wedding where the seats are filled with family and friends, the groom is standing with the preacher and wedding party waiting for the bride to walk down the aisle, the wedding march is playing on the organ, and the bride never shows up. The first thing everyone is going to ask is "What happened?".

So fans should envision a scenario where it's been suggested it's not the label, it's not the actual content, yet the resistance is coming from within the band who had all signed off on the project, given interviews, and in a few cases teased the set publicly. Yet content isn't the issue.

So fans are left - according to the above scenarios - assuming someone in the band just decided to block the whole thing for the time being, for some reason other than what's actually on the completed box set? And we're supposed to convince the bride...I mean, the one(s) holding this back...to walk down the aisle without knowing why it didn't happen?

In order to convince someone to rethink a decision, it has to be known why they made the decision in the first place.

Exactly. This is a messageboard and people are going to speculate the “why”. Of course it’s good to be looking for a solution (and people are already writing on social media, a petition is gaining traction, and if there are any other ideas they are completely welcome) but that doesn’t mean that a messageboard dedicated to this band should stifle any conversation about why” this isn’t happening.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: July 30, 2020, 10:07:24 AM »

"Boxed set is complete, ready to go, it's amazing, mixed, mastered, everything ready to release, but it's not on the release schedule" does sound quite a bit like the wedding's ready to go and the bride or groom just won't show up, doesn't it?

Let's go back to the imaginary scenario with the mystical numerologist. If that was the scenario, would you try to convince them about why the set is important and good for everybody and needs to be released, or would you try to convince them that they should rethink everything they believe about numerology? The latter would be very, very hard to do. The former would be much more productive.

Again, "Feel Flows" has nothing to do with numerology or anything like that. But I think the only thing that's viable right now is to essentially re-sell the band on their own boxed set.

For the purposes of what we're trying to do, given that the set is ready to go (meaning we don't have to lobby them to *make* the set still), given the circumstances of this particular situation and what we do know, the "why" as to the hold up doesn't really matter. Our message to the band members and any other pertinent parties is "this set is needed, we want it, it needs to come out, it's ready to go and we have our wallets open, easy peasy, let's do this!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: July 30, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »

Exactly. This is a messageboard and people are going to speculate the “why”. Of course it’s good to be looking for a solution (and people are already writing on social media, a petition is gaining traction, and if there are any other ideas they are completely welcome) but that doesn’t mean that a messageboard dedicated to this band should stifle any conversation about why” this isn’t happening.

Nobody's trying to stifle anything. Speculate away. Nothing wrong with that.

What some people in the know are trying to say is, the "why" doesn't matter logistically much right now for the purposes of lobbying for the set to be released, given what those in the know have explained. Nobody would be trying to push this thing past the goal post if it wasn't at least potentially salvageable.

I don't anticipate that anybody anytime soon, if ever, is going to find out the nitty gritty of why this set has thus far been back-burnered. It may never be fully known or explained publicly, and frankly I'm fine with that as long as minds can be changed/shifted just very slightly on this one tiny issue so we can see this set released.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: July 30, 2020, 10:29:00 AM »

But as I said before, BRI is 4 parties making the decisions, and since he was involved in creating the music contained on the box set, I'd say Bruce's opinion at least gets heard in any decision making process. So there's Al and Bruce both teasing the set publicly, we don't know where Carl's estate stands on this but factor in that their father was essentially the de facto producer and leader for a lot of these sessions and his talents and contributions would be on full display on such a set, we have Brian who I don't believe has ever blocked an archival set except in the cases where band members got to choose specific tracks, and then there's Mike who has a history of putting up objections and roadblocks on archival projects.

So you're suggesting fans should just write emails or social media posts to every band member, including Bruce, when some of those band members have actively supported and teased this set, without knowing either the who or the why of the situation? As I said before, fans would send Al hundreds of emails and Al would be saying "But I want this to come out too!" just as an example.

It feels like the energy is being deflected here, in light of getting more information, from actually targeting the reason why a set which is ready to go and appealing to that person or persons blocking it to a general fan response of "I want this, please release it!". Fans are not unaware of what goes on within this band, and why certain things have happened and continue to happen. If the notion is to take some of the heat off and just become stereotypical fans saying "I want this", it's deflecting the entire situation specific to this box set. If this set were not completed after 2+ years of hard work and dedication, that would be acceptable. But here we have something concrete that actually exists, and we're being told it's been shelved indefinitely...and we would like to know why it got shelved and who put the kibosh on it so that person or persons can hear what the fans who are ready and willing to drop over 100 bucks on it think.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 30, 2020, 10:41:55 AM »

But as I said before, BRI is 4 parties making the decisions, and since he was involved in creating the music contained on the box set, I'd say Bruce's opinion at least gets heard in any decision making process. So there's Al and Bruce both teasing the set publicly, we don't know where Carl's estate stands on this but factor in that their father was essentially the de facto producer and leader for a lot of these sessions and his talents and contributions would be on full display on such a set, we have Brian who I don't believe has ever blocked an archival set except in the cases where band members got to choose specific tracks, and then there's Mike who has a history of putting up objections and roadblocks on archival projects.

So you're suggesting fans should just write emails or social media posts to every band member, including Bruce, when some of those band members have actively supported and teased this set, without knowing either the who or the why of the situation? As I said before, fans would send Al hundreds of emails and Al would be saying "But I want this to come out too!" just as an example.

It feels like the energy is being deflected here, in light of getting more information, from actually targeting the reason why a set which is ready to go and appealing to that person or persons blocking it to a general fan response of "I want this, please release it!". Fans are not unaware of what goes on within this band, and why certain things have happened and continue to happen. If the notion is to take some of the heat off and just become stereotypical fans saying "I want this", it's deflecting the entire situation specific to this box set. If this set were not completed after 2+ years of hard work and dedication, that would be acceptable. But here we have something concrete that actually exists, and we're being told it's been shelved indefinitely...and we would like to know why it got shelved and who put the kibosh on it so that person or persons can hear what the fans who are ready and willing to drop over 100 bucks on it think.
Am I incorrect, or doesn't Carl's estate usually side with Mike?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx