gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:38:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841541 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: July 29, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »

Thanks! 2001 is one of my favorite movies, also liked the possible homages to 2001 that ‘Love and Mercy’ had.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 29, 2020, 07:48:21 PM »

Yep, that was awesome. 

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 29, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »

Great idea!!!

Dumb question...
How do you actually start a petition?

Yes...I know...I’m a music producer, I’ve worked in technical support for 16 years as well, and I’m clueless on this. 😆

If a petition is started, in order to get the attention of both the band and the record label, it should be called:

"PLEASE… TAKE OUR MONEY"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 29, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »

This was such a great time for everyone in the band.  Shame if someone is blocking it.  My gut tells me someone is jealous of DW content.

My thoughts and fears exactly
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 29, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »

Great idea!!!

Dumb question...

Yes...I know...I’m a music producer, I’ve worked in technical support for 16 years as well, and I’m clueless on this. 😆

If a petition is started, in order to get the attention of both the band and the record label, it should be called:

"PLEASE… TAKE OUR MONEY"

Jeez, if there was ever a message Mike would be receptive to its this^

Someone just needs to tell Mike the “approval” is for a lawsuit against Brian, this set will be out in a week.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »

Great idea!!!

Dumb question...

"PLEASE… TAKE OUR MONEY"

Jeez, if there was ever a message Mike would be receptive to its this^

Someone just needs to tell Mike the “approval” is for a lawsuit against Brian, this set will be out in a week.

I would buy 10 sealed copies of "unleash the love" in order to get this FF box to happen.  Totally serious. Or 20 even.

Whatever it takes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:07:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 29, 2020, 08:10:42 PM »

Oh man don’t even open that door LOL

Mike is going to blackmail us all into buying 10 copies of Unleash The Love each in order to put his approval on this set.

And when Mike ponders this idea the words running through his mind will be “Do it! Do it!” in Mark McGrath’s voice.

kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 29, 2020, 08:12:27 PM »

"I once had a doggie named Wrinkles..."

Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 29, 2020, 08:18:56 PM »

Hi. I've been reading the forum for years, and in case TBTB peruse this thread, thought I'd register and add my voice to show the demand for this box set is there. Maybe I skew younger than most here, IDK, but for what it's worth, here's how my fandom progressed.

I'm in my 30's, and was a casual fan as a kid and teenager in the 90's. That is, I knew and loved all the hits, had them on my computer's MP3 playlist, burned a CD for the car and listened frequently, but could not tell you the name of the band members, the album names, or much of anything post PS. The most exotic tracks on my playlist were Heroes and Villains and Disney Girls, and remember at that time not being sure those two tracks were even legit studio releases. Actually, I think Disney Girls was a cover.

Sometime in 2013, I happened to see the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums list with PS being #2, and decided to give the whole thing a listen (and it just so happened to be at night, with headphones, as BW later suggested). I couldn't believe how amazing the whole thing was. I was hooked - obsessed. Serendipitously, MiC had just come out. I bought it immediately and then was really floored - overwhelmed - at the amount of great music I'd never heard. 3 out of 5 discs full of fantastic stuff I didn't know existed!

What a perfect time to start discovering them too, as this is about the time when these copyright extension sets started. I've purchased every one as they've come out, and dived deeper and deeper into this band's history. I went back and bought all the twofers, the 2012 Mono/Stereo remasters, MFiT/Apple Digital Masters, Smile Sessions, all the old compilations, most of the Analogue Productions vinyl (and some digital), all the member's solo albums (some in multiple formats), just about every documentary, Peter Ames Carlin's book, the autobiographies, the Love and Mercy film, multiple issues of ESQ, watched the made for TV movies tons of times, frequently read these boards and use the Bellagio 10452 site, took my 5 year old daughter to see Brian Wilson presents Pet Sounds, and when we can, will go see Mike and Bruce's band, and Brian's again.

I'm sure I still would have bought a number of their old albums, mostly through iTunes, but there's no way I would have gone as far as I have were it not for these unbelievable sets we've been blessed with the last few years. It's really gotten me way more into them than I would have been otherwise, and exposed me and I'm sure many others to the embarrassment of riches this band produced, released, and have had sitting in the vaults the many years after the beach and surf and car and girl songs. If Wake the World and I Can Hear Music had been a physical release, I'd have bought it, but was glad to get them nonetheless. And on top of it all, they have people like Mark Linett and Alan Boyd curating this stuff. Other artists should be so lucky. I've seen the myriad of mixed/negative reactions of anniversary sets from other bands in threads over at the Hoffman forums. From what I've heard, Mark and Alan have never disappointed. If anything they've exceeded expectations. They care so much and do such excellent, quality work.

Yes, the audience at the show I went to was older. Probably a lot of lifelong fans. I'll bet many of them would buy Feel Flows. But my daughter, and a lot of other little kids were standing in the aisles, and at the back above the seats, jumping, dancing and swaying, even when they played Darlin', Sail on Sailor, and Feel Flows. At home she, and her little sister, ask me to put the records on all the time. My oldest daughter's favorite is You Still Believe in Me, because she loves the bicycle bell and horn.

I'm a relatively new fan, and you've got another generation or two coming up behind me. And it's due in large part to these archival sets. Despite itself, this band persists. For me, and I'm sure many others, these tracks aren't just curiosities, to be listened to once, say "oh that's interesting" and never listen to them again. They're better than many album cuts most bands of the era were releasing. Let us hear the brilliance of all the work that was done on what have been contemporarily reappraised as a couple of the greatest albums of all time. Reintroduce the public to these gems. Don't hide them away again. The years covering Sunflower/Surf's Up are so important in terms of the leadership and creativity of the rest of the band after BW stepped back. Don't make same mistakes twice. Please release this and let that era shine the way it should have originally back in '70 and '71.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 29, 2020, 08:22:39 PM »

Welcome to the board!  We need more of you posting.  Thanks for taking the time.  I feel like there are a lot of people out there like you, kinda lurking.  That was myself for many years.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: July 29, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »

"I once had a doggie named Wrinkles..."

Brother, I'd name a certain part of my anatomy Wrinkles if it got the boxed set out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 29, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »

Lol, I actually kinda like that song.  But I hear ya.  Goofy as hell, but sweet.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »

Welcome Cork! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #838 on: July 29, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »

Hi. I've been reading the forum for years, and in case TBTB peruse this thread, thought I'd register and add my voice to show the demand for this box set is there. Maybe I skew younger than most here, IDK, but for what it's worth, here's how my fandom progressed.

I'm in my 30's, and was a casual fan as a kid and teenager in the 90's. That is, I knew and loved all the hits, had them on my computer's MP3 playlist, burned a CD for the car and listened frequently, but could not tell you the name of the band members, the album names, or much of anything post PS. The most exotic tracks on my playlist were Heroes and Villains and Disney Girls, and remember at that time not being sure those two tracks were even legit studio releases. Actually, I think Disney Girls was a cover.

Sometime in 2013, I happened to see the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums list with PS being #2, and decided to give the whole thing a listen (and it just so happened to be at night, with headphones, as BW later suggested). I couldn't believe how amazing the whole thing was. I was hooked - obsessed. Serendipitously, MiC had just come out. I bought it immediately and then was really floored - overwhelmed - at the amount of great music I'd never heard. 3 out of 5 discs full of fantastic stuff I didn't know existed!

What a perfect time to start discovering them too, as this is about the time when these copyright extension sets started. I've purchased every one as they've come out, and dived deeper and deeper into this band's history. I went back and bought all the twofers, the 2012 Mono/Stereo remasters, MFiT/Apple Digital Masters, Smile Sessions, all the old compilations, most of the Analogue Productions vinyl (and some digital), all the member's solo albums (some in multiple formats), just about every documentary, Peter Ames Carlin's book, the autobiographies, the Love and Mercy film, multiple issues of ESQ, watched the made for TV movies tons of times, frequently read these boards and use the Bellagio 10452 site, took my 5 year old daughter to see Brian Wilson presents Pet Sounds, and when we can, will go see Mike and Bruce's band, and Brian's again.

I'm sure I still would have bought a number of their old albums, mostly through iTunes, but there's no way I would have gone as far as I have were it not for these unbelievable sets we've been blessed with the last few years. It's really gotten me way more into them than I would have been otherwise, and exposed me and I'm sure many others to the embarrassment of riches this band produced, released, and have had sitting in the vaults the many years after the beach and surf and car and girl songs. If Wake the World and I Can Hear Music had been a physical release, I'd have bought it, but was glad to get them nonetheless. And on top of it all, they have people like Mark Linett and Alan Boyd curating this stuff. Other artists should be so lucky. I've seen the myriad of mixed/negative reactions of anniversary sets from other bands in threads over at the Hoffman forums. From what I've heard, Mark and Alan have never disappointed. If anything they've exceeded expectations. They care so much and do such excellent, quality work.

Yes, the audience at the show I went to was older. Probably a lot of lifelong fans. I'll bet many of them would buy Feel Flows. But my daughter, and a lot of other little kids were standing in the aisles, and at the back above the seats, jumping, dancing and swaying, even when they played Darlin', Sail on Sailor, and Feel Flows. At home she, and her little sister, ask me to put the records on all the time. My oldest daughter's favorite is You Still Believe in Me, because she loves the bicycle bell and horn.

I'm a relatively new fan, and you've got another generation or two coming up behind me. And it's due in large part to these archival sets. Despite itself, this band persists. For me, and I'm sure many others, these tracks aren't just curiosities, to be listened to once, say "oh that's interesting" and never listen to them again. They're better than many album cuts most bands of the era were releasing. Let us hear the brilliance of all the work that was done on what have been contemporarily reappraised as a couple of the greatest albums of all time. Reintroduce the public to these gems. Don't hide them away again. The years covering Sunflower/Surf's Up are so important in terms of the leadership and creativity of the rest of the band after BW stepped back. Don't make same mistakes twice. Please release this and let that era shine the way it should have originally back in '70 and '71.

That was absolutely beautiful....very well said

And welcome to the board!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 29, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »

I'm devastated. All I can really say.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: July 29, 2020, 08:57:01 PM »

This was such a great time for everyone in the band.  Shame if someone is blocking it.  My gut tells me someone is jealous of DW content.
You mean the same someone who was the biggest advocate for Dennis' content on the Made in California set? Roll Eyes

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 29, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »

Eventually it will be released.  Don't worry.  Cooler heads will prevail:)

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 29, 2020, 09:35:49 PM »

(comment removed)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:40:47 PM by Jason Manley » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 29, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »

Anyone know when the new ESQ comes out?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:41:02 PM by Jason Manley » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #844 on: July 29, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »

I’m not entirely sure right off the top of my head

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 29, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »

We have historical precedent for historic/archival box sets being delayed, if that is indeed what could possibly happen here.

I'm sure I don't need to state the obvious but NOTHING HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED...

That said, in 1996, THE PET SOUNDS SESSIONS was to be released in the fall of that calendar year. How did I know? I read it in Ice Magazine one day in the CD shop I worked at.

In reality – it was delayed over 12 months and finally dropped in November, 1997.

Better late than never.

Mr. Wilson Joliet
« Reply #846 on: July 29, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »

[deleted by user]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:12:41 PM by Mr. Wilson Joliet » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: July 29, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »

^ Thank you, and welcome to the board!

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 29, 2020, 10:33:00 PM »

I really really don't need to hear this right now. I've expressed concern here a few years ago that the copyright sets will end when we hit the 70s. The Brother 2fers had none of the planned bonus tracks. Made In California was a missed opportunity for 70s outtakes. There was also a set of Brother Rarities planned and scrapped. It just figures. A delay, I can deal with. A cancellation would be tragic because it wouldn't be just this, but future releases now at risk too. The new Endless Summer Quarterly is all about Sunflower and Mike and Bruce have a lot of good things to say. What the hell, man...

I wish this forum had a like button - I would like everything HeyJude and Billy C have posted.  I have been looking forward to this box since the rumors first began. I can only pray something happens and this work isn't lost.  The Beach Boys 70s vault is enormous and I was dying for that levee to break.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:35:01 PM by TV Forces » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 29, 2020, 10:48:55 PM »

My head hurts...

Yep - I'm with you M
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx