gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:09:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841725 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »

I mean... do Howie's recent posts really read like the words of a guy who knows this isn't just in limbo, but 'cancelled'?

"While doing the liners for the upcoming box set"

"I CANNOT wait for you all to hear this thing"

The quote was "It is currently NOT scheduled for release."

You can use the word "cancelled", or come up with something more palatable if you prefer. "Indefinitely postponed"? Maybe an optimistic "Awaiting a rescheduled release date"? Perhaps "Never existed in completed form in the first place"?

If there is no November release date set, it will not be released - in my opinion. They will have to release the 1970 material as a copyright dump by 12/31. Notice Howie did not mention anything about discs and packaging manufactured. In order for these things to occur, the release date most certainly would have to be set sometime very very soon. This is not sitting in a warehouse waiting to be released on the world. Sounds cancelled to me.
As someone who is pretty young, and knows quite a bit about the record industry, allow me to say that they don’t really need that much time to set a date. They could finish it, and release it a week later. With the way that technology is today, that’s what the majority of artists do. The majority of artists nowadays finish their albums days before they’re released. It’s the same with these box sets as well. It might not be finished, they might still be making last-minute changes before they put it out to the public. We don’t know. They might not have a date, and come up with one on November 1.
But again, just because there isn’t a date at this moment, doesn’t mean there won’t be a date before the end of the year. They don’t have to set these things up months in advance anymore.

I don't get the "as someone who is pretty young" comment. How is that relevant? Just curious because I'm not really following ...

Pressing thousands of discs and packaging can take a few months. If there's any vinyl involved, it can take a really long time. I've pressed records and tapes myself in recent years.

I think you're gonna need to qualify "the majority of artists nowadays finish their albums days before they’re released" ha. Not if there is any physical media, they don't. That is technically impossible.
Drake’s fourth studio album Views was finished recording on April 27. It was released to digital services two days later on April 29. All the CDs and vinyls came out two weeks later on May 13.
That’s two days after finished recording for digital release, and two weeks and two days for a physical release. And that was an album that sold millions and millions of copies. This box set will probably sell in the thousands, so it’s not gonna take as long to produce as you think it will.
And by the way, that Drake album was distributed under UMG, the exact same company that distributes these box sets

Sorry, but I don't think that is physically possible. And if it is technically possible in some bizarre, extremely unlikely scenario - it is so remote and uncommon to not be applicable to most scenarios, particularly not for a physical box set from The Beach Boys. It takes several weeks minimum to get a test pressing. Once you approve the test pressing, it takes another several weeks at minimum for the physical packages to be pressed. A label is going to be sending out promo copies and investing in promotion for weeks leading up to the release to get a return on their investment.

This is all relevant because - IMO if a release date is not set within the next month or so, this set is not likely to be released.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:43:37 PM by DonnyL » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: July 29, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think that is physically possible. And if it is technically possible in some bizarre, extremely unlikely scenario - it is so remote and uncommon to not be applicable to most scenarios, particularly not for a physical box set from The Beach Boys. It take 4-5 weeks to get a test pressing. Once you approve the test pressing, it takes another several weeks at minimum for the physical packages to be pressed. A label is going to be sending out promo copies and investing in promotion for weeks leading up to the release to get a return on their investment.

The Drake comparison was totally off. First of all, a label will absolutely push all other manufacturing jobs in a factory aside to rush release a multi-million seller. Not likely so for a low-key larger boxed set.

The fan bases are also very different in terms of who buys in which format. For better or worse, BB fans buy physical far more often than Drake fans.

Also, an *archival/reissue* type release is very different; part of the whole point is a more lavish physical set.

And, oh yeah...Drake isn't BRI!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:45:37 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #777 on: July 29, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »

At this point, "The Nearest Faraway Place" has taken it too far. Cease and desist. The discussion is about the box set and fans' opinions, not about cherry-picking replies, starting arguments, directing jabs at people, and trying to stir the sh*t. Time to bow out.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: July 29, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »

Wow..I’m so passed off at this troll I forgot my second point. Nice.

You still haven’t answered the question... You said you’d be “done” with the band if they didn’t release this set. Why? Is it because you feel so entitled to the set that if you don’t get it, you’re just gonna throw all your old LPs away?
[/quote]

And that, my friends, is the last you’ll ever see the Nearest Faraway Motherfucker, ever post at this board (that Covid comment is what did it actually)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:56:43 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 29, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »

You still haven’t answered the question... You said you’d be “done” with the band if they didn’t release this set. Why? Is it because you feel so entitled to the set that if you don’t get it, you’re just gonna throw all your old LPs away?

And that, my friends, is the last you’ll ever see , aka the Nearest Faraway Motherfucker, ever post at this board (that Covid comment is what did it actually)
[/quote]

Moderators are doxing now? [/quote]

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:21:20 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »

At this point I'd say any fans who are wondering what's going on with this set, send emails to BRI, Capitol, even the Beach Boys Facebook page and simply ask about it. Ask what is going on with this set which at least two band members have mentioned publicly. If you get hundreds of fans asking about a specific product that has been teased and mentioned for this many months, they can't ignore it.

And this notion of fans being "entitled" to such a set - It's not entitlement, it's the people who support these entities giving enough of a f*** to ask about a product that they're excited to purchase. If BRI wants to ignore those fans, the truly invested and passionate fans, in favor of selling BB logo baseball hats and reissuing greatest hits packages from the past or whatever, that tells many of us exactly what we need to know to make decisions moving forward.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »

And that, my friends, is the last you’ll ever see the Nearest Faraway Motherfucker ever post at this board (that Covid comment is what did it actually)

Moderators are doxing now? [/quote]

[/quote]

Anyway he’d left his name in his email address, and yeah I shouldn’t have posted and quite frankly I was pissed off by that Covid quote. I edited it out
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:14:25 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 29, 2020, 03:24:16 PM »

What a terrible opinion
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: July 29, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »

Opinions like that is why BRI won't give us a box set

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 29, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »

Glad to see the dude banned. Bravo!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 29, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »

Satire returns!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SpanoItaliano
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 29, 2020, 03:49:02 PM »

The only thing i'm picking up here is that you guys don't want Feel Flows to come out. Which is a shame, because being a fan of The Beach Boys, I do.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: July 29, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »

True confession... I quite like MIU

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 29, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »

I would remind everyone to remember that this is The Beach Boys we’re talking about.  If and when we ever find out the actual reason for this problem with the release of this set, it probably will make very little sense and will leave us all scratching our heads.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: July 29, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »

The only thing i'm picking up here is that you guys don't want Feel Flows to come out. Which is a shame, because being a fan of The Beach Boys, I do.

Who said they didn’t want the boxed set out? I certainly do/did.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: July 29, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »

What are you talking about? Everyone who posted here has said they want the set to come out. Are you joking?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: July 29, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »

I would remind everyone to remember that this is The Beach Boys we’re talking about.  If and when we ever find out the actual reason for this problem with the release of this set, it probably will make very little sense and will leave us all scratching our heads.

Yup , and that’s what I was trying to explain to that little kid earlier

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 29, 2020, 03:56:28 PM »

My head hurts...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #794 on: July 29, 2020, 03:56:51 PM »

Not a single person has said they don't want the set to come out. Even the troll said he wanted the set.

The whole point of the thread is discussing and showing desire for the set.

And separately, "MIU Album" isn't bad. It's got some good stuff. It isn't the priority now, but later on we should be getting a set focusing on outtakes from that era, too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: July 29, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »

My head hurts...

I need a beer.

No, make that a keg.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 29, 2020, 04:06:16 PM »

I’ll buy the beer but you can only get within 6 feet of it!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #797 on: July 29, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »

All in all, I feel bad for everyone who was anticipating it, and those who had worked so hard to bring it to the public. Only thing I can say is petition, petition, petition. Swamp the social media of each person (read:Mike) who might be standing in the way and make your voices heard. Only thing I can think of

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #798 on: July 29, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »

My head hurts...

I need a beer.

No, make that a keg.

Haven’t had a drink in 6 years but for the first time in a very long time, I briefly got tempted. Today’s been ass.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:08:28 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: July 29, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »

I’ll buy the beer but you can only get within 6 feet of it!

Sold! I'll go in on a case of Singlecut "Hop Sounds", the Pet Sounds beer lol

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx