gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:49:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841674 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: July 29, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

I personally don’t care who they are. Unless their name is Brian Wilson, Mike love, Al Jardine, or Bruce Johnston, Then my point still stands. Entitled fans are entitled

What a sh*tty thing to tell the people who work on this stuff and champion in. As many have said, without Jon Stebbins, Dennis Wilson would still be a little asterisk in group bios instead of revered as he is now.

If everybody just rolled over and let the band do what they want, and never championed anything, we'd currently be about a thousand tracks lighter in our Beach Boys collections. There would be no game-changing biographies. No "Good Vibrations" boxed set. No "Endless Harmony Soundtrack." No "Smile" box. No "Pet Sounds" sessions. No "Made in California." No copyright extension sets.

If your take-away from all of this is that everybody but four living Beach Boys are "entitled" for championing releasing amazing material, then you just don't get it. You'll always have "Sounds of Summer" on Spotify.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:53:58 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: July 29, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »

I never said their work was not important, however, they should not have the final say on what happens to the set. That’s the thing about modifying other peoples art, you have to have the original creators permission. And clearly, in this case, the original creators of the music are not giving their permission.
This is the same reason why albums released after people die bother me as well. They didn’t have a say in if the public heard that or not

You are *so* not getting this at all. Do you really think anybody here is unaware that the band have to agree to release stuff?

The reason "The Day the Clown Cried" never got released is because Jerry Lewis didn't want it out.

The reason BB releases are devised, compiled, completed, years of work put in, and then back-burnered is *not* as simple as someone just all of a sudden deciding they don't ever want it out, full stop. Nobody's trying to put something out against anybody's wishes. *That's* why this situation is even more frustrating, but *also* why people are still trying to convince whomever they can to make the release happen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:54:38 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: July 29, 2020, 01:54:04 PM »

I mean... do Howie's recent posts really read like the words of a guy who knows this isn't just in limbo, but 'cancelled'?

"While doing the liners for the upcoming box set"

"I CANNOT wait for you all to hear this thing"

The quote was "It is currently NOT scheduled for release."

You can use the word "cancelled", or come up with something more palatable if you prefer. "Indefinitely postponed"? Maybe an optimistic "Awaiting a rescheduled release date"? Perhaps "Never existed in completed form in the first place"?

If there is no November release date set, it will not be released - in my opinion. They will have to release the 1970 material as a copyright dump by 12/31. Notice Howie did not mention anything about discs and packaging manufactured. In order for these things to occur, the release date most certainly would have to be set sometime very very soon. This is not sitting in a warehouse waiting to be released on the world. Sounds cancelled to me.

The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 29, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »

I personally don’t care who they are. Unless their name is Brian Wilson, Mike love, Al Jardine, or Bruce Johnston, Then my point still stands. Entitled fans are entitled

What a sh*tty thing to tell the people who work on this stuff and champion in. As many have said, without Jon Stebbins, Dennis Wilson would still be a little asterisk in group bios instead of revered as he is now.

If everybody just rolled over and let the band do what they want, and never championed anything, we'd currently be about a thousand tracks lighter in our Beach Boys collections. There would be no game-changing biographies. No "Good Vibrations" boxed set. No "Endless Harmony Soundtrack." No "Smile" box. No "Pet Sounds" sessions. No "Made in California." No copyright extension sets.

If you're take-away from all of this is that everybody but four living Beach Boys are "entitled" for championing releasing amazing material, then you just don't get it. You'll always have "Sounds of Summer" on Spotify.
I’m not discrediting the amazing work that people who have worked on all of these box sets and releases have done. However, Morley, I believe that if the original creator doesn’t agree with it being released, then it shouldn’t be released.
If some of the bandmembers have objections to this box set being released, then it just shouldn’t be released. obviously I want it released, as I find this period of their courier absolutely fascinating. however, as I stated before, if the bandmembers don’t want it out there, then neither do I
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: July 29, 2020, 01:57:55 PM »

To put an even finer point on this, I think the band members need to realize how pure and positive this era and this release would be.

There's no villain in the story of "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up"; there's no controversies. I mean, anybody can conjure negativity up if they try hard enough.

But this is an era where *everybody* in the band was not only showing up, but hitting great peaks and all displaying their talent. Bruce integrating more than he ever had, and turning in his best work. Al co-writing with the other guys and doing great vocals, and turning in stuff that only Al could have contributed (nobody else would have done "Lookin' at Tomorrow"; it's a great alternative vibe for the band), Carl and Dennis writing some of their best stuff. And Mike turns in some of the best gems of his career in this era. "All I Wanna Do" is momentous.

This is the band rolling up their sleeves and doing amazing work, of which they have largely gone unrecognized all these years. This stuff might as well be their "Smile." And that's just the *released* material. The archival, previously-unreleased material amps this up a million fold. Unlike other bands who do archival packages who end up relegated to faking "outtakes" by doing the "Alternate Mix with 10% less Flugelhorn", this band has albums worth of life-affirming, jaw-dropping material. It truly puts any other band's unreleased archive to shame. And it CHANGES the story, for the masses anyway.

And sets like this would pave the way for further reassessments of other eras/albums.  There truly is stuff even from the 80s and 90s that we haven't heard that would change the story as well.

Just to add fodder to this - I met Al last year after a show, and said something about him not playing "Lookin At Tomorrow", and he seemed to be taken aback and almost offended that I mentioned the song. He said something like "No, no ... that song is a downer/too negative, it doesn't fit ..." and trailed off. It was actually really odd ha. So, you never know I guess ...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

Are we getting “SIP naked” instead? I miss GF’s mock cover of it...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »

I mean... do Howie's recent posts really read like the words of a guy who knows this isn't just in limbo, but 'cancelled'?

You can use the word "cancelled", or come up with something more palatable if you prefer. "Indefinitely postponed"? Maybe an optimistic "Awaiting a rescheduled release date"? Perhaps "Never existed in completed form in the first place"?

If there is no November release date set, it will not be released - in my opinion. They will have to release the 1970 material as a copyright dump by 12/31. Notice Howie did not mention anything about discs and packaging manufactured. In order for these things to occur, the release date most certainly would have to be set sometime very very soon. This is not sitting in a warehouse waiting to be released on the world. Sounds cancelled to me.
As someone who is pretty young, and knows quite a bit about the record industry, allow me to say that they don’t really need that much time to set a date. They could finish it, and release it a week later. With the way that technology is today, that’s what the majority of artists do. The majority of artists nowadays finish their albums days before they’re released. It’s the same with these box sets as well. It might not be finished, they might still be making last-minute changes before they put it out to the public. We don’t know. They might not have a date, and come up with one on November 1.
But again, just because there isn’t a date at this moment, doesn’t mean there won’t be a date before the end of the year. They don’t have to set these things up months in advance anymore.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »

If it gets canceled I’m done with the band for good. Never thought I’d say that but the complete lack of regard to the fans is beyond f***ed up.
Please explain? Back in the 60s and 70s, when these albums were released, they never “promised” you or me anything. They have dozens and dozens of songs in the vaults, that they don’t have to release.
Obviously, if it were up to me, I would have them put out a 50 disc box with nothing but new mixes and unreleased material covering their entire career.
But unfortunately, that’s not up to me. But I’m not going to stop being a fan, just because I’m mad they’re not putting the material out that “I” want to hear.
If there are tracks that members don’t want officially released, it might upset me, but I respect them enough to understand their decision. Keep in mind that the made in California box was supposed to have Thank Him, My Solution and Cary Me Home on it, but it didn’t, because certain members of the band thought it would be insensitive and it made them uncomfortable to release them in a official capacity.
and as I said, while I wish that every single track was released, at the end of the day, it is the bandmembers choice to release or not to release, and if it makes them uncomfortable to release, then I completely respect their decision not to.
Now on the other hand, if this is actually just label politics, and searching for the right release date and the right price point, then I wish they’d quit the shenanigans, get there act together and release the damn thing.
But even if it never comes out, I’m still going to be a fan. Nothing will take away the decades of fantastic music they’ve given us, and at the end of the day, that’s what’s important

Have to ask...were you a fan back when the PS box was supposed to come out the first time but didn’t due to politics? This is seeming a lot like that time. It’s different when something doesn’t come out due to it being potentially embarrassing like, say, I’m begging you please. I have no issue with that. Hell, there’s stuff in my band’s back catalogue built up over the past 20 years I wouldn’t want released. That’s not the same as, “ooh we’re going to be releasing this....nope the liner notes aren’t as congratulatory towards one person as it could be...let’s delay it by a year because we can’t get along”.  As Howie mentioned above, it’s already been green lit by the label, which says all we need to know.
You still haven't addressed the initial question. If this doesn't come out, are you quitting the message board? Are you never listening to the band again? Are you throwing away your records? Never buying anything again? What does being "done" with a band even mean?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »

I’m not discrediting the amazing work that people who have worked on all of these box sets and releases have done. However, Morley, I believe that if the original creator doesn’t agree with it being released, then it shouldn’t be released.
If some of the bandmembers have objections to this box set being released, then it just shouldn’t be released. obviously I want it released, as I find this period of their courier absolutely fascinating. however, as I stated before, if the bandmembers don’t want it out there, then neither do I

You're being too reductive in your reasoning here.

There are more possible scenarios for a release being held up than an outright objection to it existing or ever coming out.

Think about something like the "Pet Sounds Sessions" boxed set; the issue was not that anybody objected to it being released. It was a hang-up about liner notes. (To be VERY clear, liner notes or other content are, as we've been saying, *not* the hang-up with "Feel Flows.")

What if a band has a member whose mystical numerologist tells them every date available is a bad date to release the set? Is that still reasonable? (Again, this is nothing to do with "Feel Flows", just an example of one of MANY things that can hang these projects up outside of objecting to actual content).

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »

As someone who is pretty young, and knows quite a bit about the record industry, allow me to say that they don’t really need that much time to set a date. They could finish it, and release it a week later. With the way that technology is today, that’s what the majority of artists do. The majority of artists nowadays finish their albums days before they’re released. It’s the same with these box sets as well. It might not be finished, they might still be making last-minute changes before they put it out to the public. We don’t know. They might not have a date, and come up with one on November 1.
But again, just because there isn’t a date at this moment, doesn’t mean there won’t be a date before the end of the year. They don’t have to set these things up months in advance anymore.

I don't get the "as someone who is pretty young" comment. How is that relevant? Just curious because I'm not really following ...

Pressing thousands of discs and packaging can take a few months. If there's any vinyl involved, it can take a really long time. I've pressed records and tapes myself in recent years.

I think you're gonna need to qualify "the majority of artists nowadays finish their albums days before they’re released" ha. Not if there is any physical media, they don't. That is technically impossible.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 29, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »

If it gets canceled I’m done with the band for good. Never thought I’d say that but the complete lack of regard to the fans is beyond f***ed up.
Please explain? Back in the 60s and 70s, when these albums were released, they never “promised” you or me anything. They have dozens and dozens of songs in the vaults, that they don’t have to release.
Obviously, if it were up to me, I would have them put out a 50 disc box with nothing but new mixes and unreleased material covering their entire career.
But unfortunately, that’s not up to me. But I’m not going to stop being a fan, just because I’m mad they’re not putting the material out that “I” want to hear.
If there are tracks that members don’t want officially released, it might upset me, but I respect them enough to understand their decision. Keep in mind that the made in California box was supposed to have Thank Him, My Solution and Cary Me Home on it, but it didn’t, because certain members of the band thought it would be insensitive and it made them uncomfortable to release them in a official capacity.
and as I said, while I wish that every single track was released, at the end of the day, it is the bandmembers choice to release or not to release, and if it makes them uncomfortable to release, then I completely respect their decision not to.
Now on the other hand, if this is actually just label politics, and searching for the right release date and the right price point, then I wish they’d quit the shenanigans, get there act together and release the damn thing.
But even if it never comes out, I’m still going to be a fan. Nothing will take away the decades of fantastic music they’ve given us, and at the end of the day, that’s what’s important

Have to ask...were you a fan back when the PS box was supposed to come out the first time but didn’t due to politics? This is seeming a lot like that time. It’s different when something doesn’t come out due to it being potentially embarrassing like, say, I’m begging you please. I have no issue with that. Hell, there’s stuff in my band’s back catalogue built up over the past 20 years I wouldn’t want released. That’s not the same as, “ooh we’re going to be releasing this....nope the liner notes aren’t as congratulatory towards one person as it could be...let’s delay it by a year because we can’t get along”.  As Howie mentioned above, it’s already been green lit by the label, which says all we need to know.
You still haven't addressed the initial question. If this doesn't come out, are you quitting the message board? Are you never listening to the band again? Are you throwing away your records? Never buying anything again? What does being "done" with a band even mean?
It means, he thinks that he is “entitle d” to a set.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: July 29, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »

Stop it, please. You have people who worked ON THIS SET speaking about it on this board, and you're implying you might know more. You don't. Not on this. Just stop. It's trolling, whether you realize it or not.

And as someone else pointed out, a *physical boxed set* release (which is the whole point of this, to *not* just do a digital dump), with multiple discs inside of a box with a book, etc., absolutely does take some lead time. They cannot decide to release it, and then have it out a week later.

I somehow doubt you know the 2020 internal scheduling for Capitol/UMG as far as lead time with manufacturing, promotion, etc. Guess who does know, and guess who surely knows precisely what timing is needed or required? The people who worked on the set, including someone who posted in this thread.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: July 29, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »

No it doesn't. Go away please.

I think we need to ignore this garbage and move back to advocating for this set.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 29, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »

I don't get the "as someone who is pretty young" comment. How is that relevant? Just curious because I'm not really following ...

Pressing thousands of discs and packaging can take a few months. If there's any vinyl involved, it can take a really long time. I've pressed records and tapes myself in recent years.

I think you're gonna need to qualify "the majority of artists nowadays finish their albums days before they’re released" ha. Not if there is any physical media, they don't. That is technically impossible.
Drake’s fourth studio album Views was finished recording on April 27. It was released to digital services two days later on April 29. All the CDs and vinyls came out two weeks later on May 13.
That’s two days after finished recording for digital release, and two weeks and two days for a physical release. And that was an album that sold millions and millions of copies. This box set will probably sell in the thousands, so it’s not gonna take as long to produce as you think it will.
And by the way, that Drake album was distributed under UMG, the exact same company that distributes these box sets
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:15:26 PM by The Nearest Faraway Place » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 29, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »

Well, as someone who owns 2 copies of the Happy Birthday America LP (forgot it's real name) as well as a copy of Maureen Love's solo album, it's a safe bet that I'll buy this set when it's released.

Also, I don't think it's fair to say that "not currently scheduled for release" means canceled, although that is slightly worrying.

Thanks to Howie for sharing what you have. Which raises the question of how much investment (time and $$$) goes into something like this. An investment like that would sensibly be made only if there was a reasonable expectation of a return on it. Business is business and whatever the issues might be, if that much investment has gone into this, then it will likely come out, and this year is the likely time frame.

The most interesting point from Howie's informative post was that this set has the potential to change the perception of the abilities/talent/contribution of the respective members of the group. That's not something I expected, and it makes me think there are heaps of songs that most of us don't even know exist.

I think we should do what we can to voice our support for the release of this set, sooner rather that later.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 29, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

I see the point and agree that none of us as fans are "entitled" to anything and we should have some measure of respect for the band members' wishes. And it is difficult when we can only speculate from the outside based on bits of info.

But based on what we are hearing from those involved and the history of The Beach Boys, I think we should all be able to agree that it will be a damn shame if the hard work that has gone in to this set goes to waste.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »

No it doesn't. Go away please.

I think we need to ignore this garbage and move back to advocating for this set.

+1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 29, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »

I see the point and agree that none of us as fans are "entitled" to anything and we should have some measure of respect for the band members' wishes. And it is difficult when we can only speculate from the outside based on bits of info.

But based on what we are hearing from those involved and the history of The Beach Boys, I think we should all be able to agree that it will be a damn shame if the hard work that has gone in to this set goes to waste.
Oh, I agree that this set definitely deserves to be released, and needs to be heard. I’m just sick of the entitled fans who are spewing out this garbage about never listening to the band again, and they’re done with them, and they don’t care about their fans, and just going on
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: July 29, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »

Look, you waste of flesh... you do NOT know sh*t about me and don’t presume to know what I’m thinking. I do not feel like I’m “entitled “ to anything. The way things are going right now, Covid will probably do what two strokes couldn’t do and finish me off before the set comes out anyway. So I do not feel entitled to anything . What you need to do is quit being an asshole and respect the fact that 1)people are going to be upset and mocking them just shows what kind of person you are. I don’t know why I’m even arguing with a troll to begin with.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 29, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »

Look, you waste of flesh... you do NOT know sh*t about me and don’t presume to know what I’m thinking. I do not feel like I’m “entitled “ to anything. The way things are going right now, Covid will probably do what two strokes couldn’t do and finish me off before the set comes out anyway. So I do not feel entitled to anything . What you need to do is quit being an asshole and respect the fact that 1)people are going to be upset and mocking them just shows what kind of person you are. I don’t know why I’m even arguing with a troll to begin with.
Damn, you’re about to die from Covid, and the best thing you can do is argue with someone on a message board?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »

Wow..I’m so passed off at this troll I forgot my second point. Nice.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:53 PM »

beach boys good

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: July 29, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »

Damn, you’re about to die from Covid, and the best thing you can do is argue with someone on a message board?

Wow...just fucking..:wow

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »

Wow..I’m so passed off at this troll I forgot my second point. Nice.

You still haven’t answered the question... You said you’d be “done” with the band if they didn’t release this set. Why? Is it because you feel so entitled to the set that if you don’t get it, you’re just gonna throw all your old LPs away?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »

Ignore and/or boot the troll. Let's move on.

The point raised a while back that there is an additional vacuum in the particular area of 1970-ish-themed boxed sets with the Beatles "Let It Be" stuff getting pushed off is a good point.

There's no other band that has this much *unheard* stuff from 1970/71 at this quality level. None.

There are marketing angles as well that could be exploited. "Premiering" sneak peak tracks with various online magazines, Q&As, the possibilities are endless.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx