gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:35:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841687 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »

If it gets canceled I’m done with the band for good. Never thought I’d say that but the complete lack of regard to the fans is beyond f***ed up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 29, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »

The music that we do have will never let you down Billy.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #702 on: July 29, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »

True but I’m tired of the fans getting jerked around due to issues that should’ve been resolved decades ago. It’s gone past frustrating to the point of anger. I’ve dealt with a lot of crap in my twenty five years as a fan ; I can only imagine how those who have been fans longer must feel.

Brian will always have my support. As far as the band goes I’m almost pissed off enough to get rid of my entire collection. Not there yet.

Yet.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: July 29, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »

As I and others have said several times in just the past week, understanding that there may be reasons why it can't be mentioned, it would be very helpful to know the source(s) of why the release of this set has stalled, and therefore give fans a chance to write to whomever or whatever stalled it and express our feelings and support for a release, or complain if necessary. If even 1500 fans reach out and say we will buy this set, that's more copies than your average new jazz or bluegrass release has to sell in order to go top 5 in their respective charts today.

Another point to consider is if we tabbed up all the individual hits and readers on this board during a 24 hour span rather than the totals showing hourly as it does now, and each of those people dropped the right party a line, those figures would surprise some people I'm sure. Strength in numbers, and the core audience for a set like this reads this board regularly.

Whether it's hamburgers, sports teams, or legacy music releases, the voices of those fans and consumers holding the money carry a lot more weight than people realize. If enough people contact the right sources, things can change drastically. They just need to know who to contact so the people in the supply chain who want it to come out aren't getting flooded with emails and messages asking that it come out.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: July 29, 2020, 11:33:16 AM »

From the post I took it that it wasn’t the label but rather it was something else. That’s why I’m so pissed off right now. Complete lack of regard for the fans.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: July 29, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

My two cents. I think we should stop pushing Howie for information that it may be more than awkward to release.

Remember, this is The Beach Boys we’re talking about...
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 29, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »

From the post I took it that it wasn’t the label but rather it was something else. That’s why I’m so pissed off right now. Complete lack of regard for the fans.
I agree with you Billy. The band has no regard for their fans. As somebody who owns probably 15 different "versions" of Pet Sounds, I am beyond frustrated.
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 29, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »

If it gets canceled I’m done with the band for good. Never thought I’d say that but the complete lack of regard to the fans is beyond f***ed up.
Please explain? Back in the 60s and 70s, when these albums were released, they never “promised” you or me anything. They have dozens and dozens of songs in the vaults, that they don’t have to release.
Obviously, if it were up to me, I would have them put out a 50 disc box with nothing but new mixes and unreleased material covering their entire career.
But unfortunately, that’s not up to me. But I’m not going to stop being a fan, just because I’m mad they’re not putting the material out that “I” want to hear.
If there are tracks that members don’t want officially released, it might upset me, but I respect them enough to understand their decision. Keep in mind that the made in California box was supposed to have Thank Him, My Solution and Cary Me Home on it, but it didn’t, because certain members of the band thought it would be insensitive and it made them uncomfortable to release them in a official capacity.
and as I said, while I wish that every single track was released, at the end of the day, it is the bandmembers choice to release or not to release, and if it makes them uncomfortable to release, then I completely respect their decision not to.
Now on the other hand, if this is actually just label politics, and searching for the right release date and the right price point, then I wish they’d quit the shenanigans, get there act together and release the damn thing.
But even if it never comes out, I’m still going to be a fan. Nothing will take away the decades of fantastic music they’ve given us, and at the end of the day, that’s what’s important
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 29, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »

I agree with you Billy. The band has no regard for their fans. As somebody who owns probably 15 different "versions" of Pet Sounds, I am beyond frustrated.

Again, please explain this to me. The band doesn’t owe you anything
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: July 29, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »

My two cents. I think we should stop pushing Howie for information that it may be more than awkward to release.

I agree

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: July 29, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »

Since I'm one of the people asking questions, let me clarify I am *not* pushing Howie in any way. If it comes off that way, I'm not doing that. What I'm saying is it would be helpful to know what's going on overall so fans can voice their opinions and contact the right people if they wish. To have both Al and Bruce specifically mention this set, in one case how the tracks were being played on the tour bus or something, then to not get any information or answers at all except the set is currently shelved is beyond frustrating.

It's a money business, if there are even a thousand fans (or the number of individual hits to this board on any given day) waving upwards of 120 bucks or more at these interests and saying "we will buy this", that's not only money but chart placement which leads to more sales once people (and the industry) sees the numbers. A label releases a new album by a jazz trumpeter, it sells 600 copies, it hits #2 on the jazz album charts...that's reality in 2020.  If even a thousand fans contact the right people on this, there's the power from the consumer base that has money ready to spend.

If it turns out not to be a label issue, and it is a band member or members doing something to oppose this, then I'd almost have to side with those who are saying they're done supporting them. If it's a label issue, both voices and and influx of money talk louder than office politics or whatever.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: July 29, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »

Yeah, the logical conclusion to "the set has been worked on for two years and is finished and ready for release but it doesn't currently has a date" is "it's cancelled" and "the beach boys hate us"

If we are gonna speculate maybe we could speculate something a bit more realistic?
Maybe the biggest market for this set is the USA, and the main customers are people who shop in record stores, and the US situation at the moment means its incredibly hard to guess at which point the majority of record stores across the entire country will be able to be safely open?  

Wait sorry, I mean "Mike cancelled it because he thought a picture in the liner notes was slightly unflattering" and "Al postponed it because he wanted to redub the aeroplane on Loop De Loop"

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 29, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »

I’m sorry if I come off mean, but some of you people on this Board are so entitled.
Obviously I would love this set. I would love all the unreleased material that they have.
But the band and its members don’t Owe us anything. They don’t owe me the set, they’ve already given me 30 albums and dozens of compilations and other box sets.
And if you’re honestly going to stop being a fan, just because one box gets delayed or canceled, then you probably weren’t a real fan in the first place. A real fan would appreciate the music, not the politics.
And if this box does get canceled, don’t be mad because you don’t get to listen to it, be mad that people actually put work into it that is going to go unappreciated. Those are the people that are owed something
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #713 on: July 29, 2020, 12:12:43 PM »

Please explain? Back in the 60s and 70s, when these albums were released, they never “promised” you or me anything. They have dozens and dozens of songs in the vaults, that they don’t have to release.
Obviously, if it were up to me, I would have them put out a 50 disc box with nothing but new mixes and unreleased material covering their entire career.
But unfortunately, that’s not up to me. But I’m not going to stop being a fan, just because I’m mad they’re not putting the material out that “I” want to hear.
If there are tracks that members don’t want officially released, it might upset me, but I respect them enough to understand their decision. Keep in mind that the made in California box was supposed to have Thank Him, My Solution and Cary Me Home on it, but it didn’t, because certain members of the band thought it would be insensitive and it made them uncomfortable to release them in a official capacity.
and as I said, while I wish that every single track was released, at the end of the day, it is the bandmembers choice to release or not to release, and if it makes them uncomfortable to release, then I completely respect their decision not to.
Now on the other hand, if this is actually just label politics, and searching for the right release date and the right price point, then I wish they’d quit the shenanigans, get there act together and release the damn thing.
But even if it never comes out, I’m still going to be a fan. Nothing will take away the decades of fantastic music they’ve given us, and at the end of the day, that’s what’s important

Have to ask...were you a fan back when the PS box was supposed to come out the first time but didn’t due to politics? This is seeming a lot like that time. It’s different when something doesn’t come out due to it being potentially embarrassing like, say, I’m begging you please. I have no issue with that. Hell, there’s stuff in my band’s back catalogue built up over the past 20 years I wouldn’t want released. That’s not the same as, “ooh we’re going to be releasing this....nope the liner notes aren’t as congratulatory towards one person as it could be...let’s delay it by a year because we can’t get along”.  As Howie mentioned above, it’s already been green lit by the label, which says all we need to know.

bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 29, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »

I never said that they owed me anything. I do not believe that they do. However, as a "paying customer", I think that we should have our voices heard as we have made them a lot of money over the years.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #715 on: July 29, 2020, 12:19:47 PM »

There would be no band if there were no fans spending their money for 60 years on the product the band offers them. Simple as that. If company offering a product that their consumers don't want or are disappointed with take the stance "screw you, this is what you're getting, and we don't care what you say about it", that company would either sink like a stone or would need to rethink their consumer relations and PR because those consumers would desert them in droves. That's what some fans are feeling rather than "entitlement", and I have to say I agree with them.

Or we could talk about another greatest hits package. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #716 on: July 29, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »

I’m sorry if I come off mean, but some of you people on this Board are so entitled.
Obviously I would love this set. I would love all the unreleased material that they have.
But the band and its members don’t Owe us anything. They don’t owe me the set, they’ve already given me 30 albums and dozens of compilations and other box sets.
And if you’re honestly going to stop being a fan, just because one box gets delayed or canceled, then you probably weren’t a real fan in the first place. A real fan would appreciate the music, not the politics.
And if this box does get canceled, don’t be mad because you don’t get to listen to it, be mad that people actually put work into it that is going to go unappreciated. Those are the people that are owed something

Not a real fan?! I’m going to try to say this as nice as possible, but if you think that way, then you are completely out of bounds.  I’m extremely pissed for those like Alan and Howie (both who are great guys )who put so much time and effort putting this together for what it looks like now, absolutely nothing.

I’m going to try to bite my tongue (fingers?) and avoid saying anything more in response to that asinine statement, as you obviously don’t know the first thing about me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:21:52 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 29, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »

I never said that they owed me anything. I do not believe that they do. However, as a "paying customer", I think that we should have our voices heard as we have made them a lot of money over the years.
Yeah but see, as a paying customer, you’ve got the product you were promised. If you pay money to buy a vinyl of pet sounds, you’re going to get a vinyl of pet sounds. I would understand being mad if this box set went out for pre-order, and then after you put money into it it was canceled, but no. You haven’t paid money for the set, the set hasn’t been bought by anyone, so you have absolutely no reason to be mad other than the fact that you feel entitled that you deserve a set just for being a fan
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 29, 2020, 12:23:00 PM »

I want the boxset dammit!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 29, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »

No one is going to be "done" with The Beach Boys based on whether or not a box set comes out, and the label and band know this. It would probably be more constructive to discuss the topic without hyperbole and drama.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: July 29, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »

Have to ask...were you a fan back when the PS box was supposed to come out the first time but didn’t due to politics? This is seeming a lot like that time. It’s different when something doesn’t come out due to it being potentially embarrassing like, say, I’m begging you please. I have no issue with that. Hell, there’s stuff in my band’s back catalogue built up over the past 20 years I wouldn’t want released. That’s not the same as, “ooh we’re going to be releasing this....nope the liner notes aren’t as congratulatory towards one person as it could be...let’s delay it by a year because we can’t get along”.  As Howie mentioned above, it’s already been green lit by the label, which says all we need to know.
Even then, it still doesn’t matter. You were still never promised a set. If they want to delay it, cancel it, for any reason, it’s all up to them. It doesn’t matter a reason. If they want to cancel a set because they’re not happy that track three has a weird popping sound in the left channel, they can cancel it for just that reason.
So if Mike has a problem with the liner notes, or something like that, then it’s perfectly reasonable that the set doesn’t come out.
I’m not saying that it would make me happy, because it wouldn’t.
I’m not saying that it’s the right thing to do, because it’s not.
 I’m just saying that you can’t be so entitled, and think that they “owe” you the set
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: July 29, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »

I’m not “acting entitled”... I’m angry for the fans and for those who worked on it. 

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »

Not a real fan?! I’m going to try to say this as nice as possible, but if you think that way, then you are completely out of bounds.  I’m extremely pissed for those like Alan and Howie (both who are great guys )who put so much time and effort putting this together for what it looks like now, absolutely nothing.

I’m going to try to bite my tongue (fingers?) and avoid saying anything more in response to that asinine statement, as you obviously don’t know the first thing about me.
Clearly you didn’t read my whole post. You must’ve missed the part where I literally said, “ And if this box does get canceled, don’t be mad because you don’t get to listen to it, be mad that people actually put work into it that is going to go unappreciated. Those are the people that are owed something.”
There would be no band if there were no fans spending their money for 60 years on the product the band offers them. Simple as that. If company offering a product that their consumers don't want or are disappointed with take the stance "screw you, this is what you're getting, and we don't care what you say about it", that company would either sink like a stone or would need to rethink their consumer relations and PR because those consumers would desert them in droves. That's what some fans are feeling rather than "entitlement", and I have to say I agree with them.

Or we could talk about another greatest hits package.  
Yeah but see, here’s the thing. While there is a small dedicated group of fans like you and me who would love this set and eat it up, the bandmembers, the label, and everyone involved make way more money on those greatest hits packages. That’s where the real money is to be made. Is it irritating? Absolutely. But it is the truth.
No one is going to be "done" with The Beach Boys based on whether or not a box set comes out, and the label and band know this. It would probably be more constructive to discuss the topic without hyperbole and drama.
This! So basically what you people are saying is, if this box that doesn’t come out, you’re going to get rid of their whole catalog. You’re going to throw your smile sessions box out in the trash, snap your pet sounds vinyl in half, stick all the album covers in the shredder? That’s what you’re gonna do?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 29, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »

I’m not “acting entitled”... I’m angry for the fans and for those who worked on it.  
I mainly just mad about the people that worked on it. The fans didn’t do anything. You haven’t paid any money for this set, you were not promised this set, so I have no reason to feel bad for you. And I’m including myself in that too, because as a fan, this does upset me. But I understand it’s my own entitlement that makes me upset.
And if it truly is canceled, of course I’m upset about that. But it’s not gonna diminish my enjoyment of the rest of their catalog
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:45:44 PM by The Nearest Faraway Place » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: July 29, 2020, 12:48:49 PM »

I’m going to ask this again...how long have you been a fan?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx