gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:19:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841583 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #675 on: July 28, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »

A few more things on this set, based on some comments here and also some comments on the other BB board that seem to be guessing/assuming certain things:

To reiterate what I mentioned before, it's important to read some of these previous posts. Simply put, there's a difference between "I wish you could hear this set" and "I can't wait for you to hear this set!"

What I feel we have now is a rallying point for fans to tell the band and other pertinent parties that this set should be released, and released now.

To be clear, this isn't about fans being impatient. We're not Veruca Salt-ing when we say the set needs to be released now. "Release the set now!" means that the set needs to be saved, and we're trying to help the band realize all of the great opportune things that could come from putting this set out, and to help them realize how foolhardy it would be to postpone or cancel the set continually. 

"Feel Flows" should be calendared for November (give or take), and BRI and Capitol/UMG should be working on arranging a live stream YouTube video round table with Howie hosting and talking to Boyd, Linett, and Brian, Al, Bruce, and Mike about this set/era/material. There are ten thousand examples in the industry to follow, only the BBs have the best material to be doing it with. Think about how little there is left to say for a panel of people doing a "Back to the Future" reunion panel discussion, and then think about how substantive a big honkin' Beach Boys boxed set with a round table discussion from the band and archive team could be.

The opportunities are endless, and all we have right now is a Japanese CD reissue of "Ten Years of Harmony" that seven completist fans will buy.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 28, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »

What I feel we have now is a rallying point for fans to tell the band and other pertinent parties that this set should be released, and released now.

While you’re probably right it is unbelievably stupid to me that fans would even have to get vocal about wanting this NOW. I said it recently, and I’m not trying to be morbid, but older fans have already left us, and more will follow. HeyJude or someone else said it in a previous post: we’re not getting any younger!

What does the record company think? That 10 years will go by and the world will be somehow magically filled with even more Beach Boys fans than there are now? I don’t see this band getting any more popular than they are right now. And more to that point, the younger fans who will be around in 10+ years won’t even want to buy the damn thing but instead want to stream it. Whereas the market is ripe NOW for physical sets because the completists, the boomers, the passionate fans are here now with their pocketbooks open.

Whatever is holding this up, it needs to be dealt with. Why put time into compiling all this beautiful music, with liner notes, etc, if it just keeps getting delayed?

Also what was up with ESQ claiming there was big beach boys news coming asap? And the song cover that has yet to be released?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 28, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »

A few more things on this set, based on some comments here and also some comments on the other BB board that seem to be guessing/assuming certain things:

To reiterate what I mentioned before, it's important to read some of these previous posts. Simply put, there's a difference between "I wish you could hear this set" and "I can't wait for you to hear this set!"

To be clear, this isn't about fans being impatient. We're not Veruca Salt-ing when we say the set needs to be released now. "Release the set now!" means that the set needs to be saved, and we're trying to help the band realize all of the great opportune things that could come from putting this set out, and to help them realize how foolhardy it would be to postpone or cancel the set continually. 

"Feel Flows" should be calendared for November (give or take), and BRI and Capitol/UMG should be working on arranging a live stream YouTube video round table with Howie hosting and talking to Boyd, Linett, and Brian, Al, Bruce, and Mike about this set/era/material. There are ten thousand examples in the industry to follow, only the BBs have the best material to be doing it with. Think about how little there is left to say for a panel of people doing a "Back to the Future" reunion panel discussion, and then think about how substantive a big honkin' Beach Boys boxed set with a round table discussion from the band and archive team could be.

The opportunities are endless, and all we have right now is a Japanese CD reissue of "Ten Years of Harmony" that seven completist fans will buy.
Eh, I doubt it. They’re probably just waiting for the perfect time to release it. They couldn’t release it in the spring, because of the pandemic. They could release it right now, but it probably wouldn’t get as many purchases as they’re hoping it will. So the best time to release it is right around Black Friday, that November December time frame.
I highly doubt that it’s because of band politics. It might be, but I highly doubt that.
Also, if it truly has been packaged, mixed, mastered, and there’s artwork and everything already made, they have to at least release something to recuperate their money on making the set. This stuff ain’t free.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 28, 2020, 04:58:08 PM »

I can PERSONALLY guarantee you that whatever "tease" ESQ was hawking has absolutely nothing to do with the project we've been working on for the past few years. 

This is an entirely different level/pay grade than that.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 28, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »

Oh?......  Shocked
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: July 28, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »

I think a panel discussion would be great, but tell Mike to leave the matching Robert Graham shirts in Tahoe this time. Although if things remain as they are, it would still be a hilarious look for a Zoom video meeting to have two dudes wearing matching stripes and the other two not.

It would be helpful *if* fans wished to contact people about getting on the stick and releasing this to know who to contact, as in who is actually holding this up if the reason is indeed a who. I'd hate to see, say, Al Jardine get flooded with thousands of fan emails saying "Release this set!" and Al would be saying "It's not me!". Or whatever.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 28, 2020, 08:51:58 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but, will this likely cover the 1969-1971 era (Sunflower & Surf's Up) as indicated by this Redditor?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 28, 2020, 09:01:50 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but, will this likely cover the 1969-1971 era (Sunflower & Surf's Up) as indicated by this Redditor?

Nope, it’s going to cover the 1987-1992 period, with never before herd unreleased material from the summer in paradise sessions
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:42 PM »

Nope, it’s going to cover the 1987-1992 period, with never before herd unreleased material from the summer in paradise sessions

Crud.

I was secretly hoping for box of nothing but every vocal take from the "Kokomo" session complete with backing tracks, and as a bonus to the first 5,000 sets sold: conversations about who didn't invite Brian.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:24:41 PM by Jason Manley » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 28, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »

Crud.

I was secretly hoping for box of nothing but every vocal take from the "Kokomo" session complete with backing tracks, and as a bonus to the first 5,000 sets sold: conversations about who didn't invite Brian.
Oh that’s on there too. Disk 3 is entirely dedicated to every interview clip where Mike mentions that “HE” in fact came up with the hook
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:06 PM »

Oh that’s on there too. Disk 3 is entirely dedicated to every interview clip where Mike mentions that “HE” in fact came up with the hook

I need to know WHEEEEEEEEEEEN I can get it?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:33 AM »

Eh, I doubt it. They’re probably just waiting for the perfect time to release it. They couldn’t release it in the spring, because of the pandemic.  

Unfortunately, as I mentioned previously, this isn't the case. Several release dates have been pushed back. Also, from multiple sources, I've heard delays have *zero* to do with COVID (whether we're talking scheduling or potential manufacturing delays). For that matter, purchase and consumption of both physical and digital/streaming entertainment, meaning video and music, saw and continue to see an *uptick* due to COVID due to people being cooped up at home. Like 95% of both digital and physical purchases of this boxed set would be via online/mail anyway. No major retailer would carry the thing. Other than random indie record shops, this would be a thing people would be buying on Amazon, etc. The past several months would have been a very opportune time to get the set out. That window still exists, but it and other factors are closing in.

They could release it right now, but it probably wouldn’t get as many purchases as they’re hoping it will. So the best time to release it is right around Black Friday, that November December time frame.
I highly doubt that it’s because of band politics. It might be, but I highly doubt that.
Also, if it truly has been packaged, mixed, mastered, and there’s artwork and everything already made, they have to at least release something to recuperate their money on making the set. This stuff ain’t free.

That is all presupposing a level of logic that goes against all available evidence/history with releases from this band. To even fathom under the *best* of circumstances that this is all part of a well-planned timing strategy on the part of the band ignores everything we know about how they operate. It also goes against the available evidence. Did that weird end of 2019 digital EP drop smell like that was part of a big master plan? And again, industry sources are saying multiple release dates have been pushed. The schedule, such as it exists right now (where the thing isn't on a calendar), is the exact opposite of having a master strategy to drop this at the best possible moment.

Again, it is my understanding that there are no potential packaging delays, no logistical or tactical problems with releasing the set vis-a-vis COVID, and no apparent unwillingness on the part of the record label.

Now, the idea here is that we want the band to know this thing should be put out ASAP. So the *goal* would be to see this in our hands by November (give or take). But if that happens, it'll be because we're telling them right now that the course should be altered to make that happen. And if that happens, I'll be eternally grateful to the band for making it happen. It would be a win-win-win for everybody on every side.

Every band member come out smelling like roses with this set out there and getting attention. Al, Mike, Bruce, Carl, and Dennis all will be better understood as musical forces in their own right, and anybody that doesn't already know will know that Brian was still contributing amazing material as well. Not only does the set allow for a larger reassessment of the stuff that they already put out back then, it will blow minds with all the unheard masterpieces.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:36:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #687 on: July 29, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »

While there are some exceptions in the broad world of Reddit in other arenas, I wouldn't go there to get hot tips and reliable news on the Beach Boys. In particular, if a Reddit post says "I hope they release X", it strongly indicates they don't actually know what's on the set.

It's true that we've had an odd level of information about this set; it has been very gradually spoken of in slightly more specific terms over the span of seemingly a year or more, with no official announcments. But I think this is probably due to the idea that it should have already been out by now. I don't think anybody wanted to be teasing this set for 27 years.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 29, 2020, 09:26:25 AM »

Two questions come to mind for me.

1. Did Howie drop by to provide new information, i.e. that the project was recently completed and is now ready to go, or is the implication that nothing has so far happened despite this being the case for ages ?

2. Mark L said back in Feb/March on that IK Multimedia livestream that they were shooting for a fall release. If several dates have already been pushed back, is the inference that we are looking at a Christmas time release at best?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:27:27 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:13 AM »

I dropped by to help answer some of the questions re: the project, because there's some confusion as to whether it does exist, if it's coming out, etc.

It definitely DOES exist. It definitely IS completed. It definitely is named FEEL FLOWS.

Both Jardine and Johnston have spoken publicly about it.

Linett, Boyd, and I worked on it for 2 years.
Those two put the whole f ucking thing together.
Hours and hours and hours and hours.

As the official BRI consultant, I was asked my opinion throughout and consulted with brains and heart.
I got the box green-lit by the label.
I saved it from dying on the vine TWICE.

It's incredible.
It forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade.
It's THAT good. It's THAT important.

It is currently NOT scheduled for release.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 29, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »

Many thanks to you Howie, not to mention Mark and Alan.

Sounds fantastic. Worrying to read that it is not currently scheduled for release.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 29, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:39:22 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 29, 2020, 10:17:35 AM »

Howie, what can we fans do to encourage the "powers that be" to set a release date and let them know how hungry we are for this product? I don't normally preorder on Amazon, but I'd gladly do so for this box set.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:22:28 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: July 29, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »

EEK. Well that pretty much confirms the Beach Boys themselves (or some member or members of the org - Mike or Brian, I assume) put the stop to it.

And the group being Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate, right? Doesn't add up. I am assuming one person can knock it down in this case. Lame.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:23:34 AM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »

Howie, what can we fans do to encourage the "powers that be" to set a release date?

Well, it was just essentially confirmed the set was cancelled - without using that exact term. As far as I am reading between the lines.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 29, 2020, 10:29:24 AM »

I dropped by to help answer some of the questions re: the project, because there's some confusion as to whether it does exist, if it's coming out, etc.

It definitely DOES exist. It definitely IS completed. It definitely is named FEEL FLOWS.

Both Jardine and Johnston have spoken publicly about it.

Linett, Boyd, and I worked on it for 2 years.
Those two put the whole f ucking thing together.
Hours and hours and hours and hours.

As the official BRI consultant, I was asked my opinion throughout and consulted with brains and heart.
I got the box green-lit by the label.
I saved it from dying on the vine TWICE.

It's incredible.
It forever changes the way The Beach Boys will be viewed as musical entity at the turn of the decade.
It's THAT good. It's THAT important.

It is currently NOT scheduled for release.

God, insane. Thank you for the info you've posted over here recently. Are you allowed to shed any light on what's holding it up or is that a no-go? Beyond frustrating that this is just sitting there, not being heard.

Agreed, that last part about it not being scheduled for release is completely insane.

Thanks for sharing the other info, Howie. And many, many (Commandant Lassard voice) thanks for all your efforts in general with this box it. Future generations and music scholars will owe you, Mark, and Alan a huge thanks.

This needs to be released soon. I will seriously buy two copies and gift a friend with one of them.

Let's get this show on the road, Capitol! Stop waiting around for "the perfect" moment to release it. There's never going to be a perfect moment. Just do it soon and get a few months' head start viral marketing push; all music geeks have right now is time, which can be spent purchasing it, devouring it, and singing praises of this set to others.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:30:25 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 29, 2020, 10:31:52 AM »

EEK. Well that pretty much confirms the Beach Boys themselves (or some member or members of the org - Mike or Brian, I assume) put the stop to it.

And the group being Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate, right? Doesn't add up. I am assuming one person can knock it down in this case. Lame.

Seriously hoping you're wrong, and that all that's holding it up is Capitol marketing people hemming and hawing over the best possible release date, the way movie studios are these days. I sure hope that's all it is.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 29, 2020, 11:07:13 AM »

Howie did you write the liners? And is Craig involved with sessionography? By the way I’ve enjoyed your fab cast this summer but they beg the question have you ever met/interviewed Paul? If so how did it go? If not, have you ever heard whether he’s heard what must be two of his biggest fans!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 29, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »

Are we allowed to maybe get a small detail of two of the tracks on the box?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 29, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »

E.g. anything as revelatory as Surfs Up 1967 as appeared on Smile Sessions?

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx