gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:39:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841631 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: July 14, 2020, 03:45:13 PM »

Packaging delays are not what's holding this up.

So what is?

The obvious implication is that there is the usual internal wrangling going on. Look Mike just sign off on the damn thing - the fact that you don't have as many songwriting credits as you were given earlier on in your career cannot be changed. Also, no good holding out for liner notes that cast you in a better light.

Wouldn’t Brian, Al, and Carl’s sons have a BRI voting majority here though?

I have no idea who or what might be holding up a set. But yes, any three of the four voting entities at BRI can carry the day. The problem is, there is very little evidence that Carl's estate has voted against Mike.

There is *one* exception; it appears for once Carl's sons finally did vote *against* Mike for BRI's sign off on the release of the "Love & Mercy" score/soundtrack (Mike discussed this in an interview a few years ago).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 14, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »

Oh hey, another thread devolves into a fight over Mike Love... how wonderful
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 14, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »

Woo hoo!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »

Nobody’s fighting on here. I did indeed post about Mike once it was revealed it had nothing to do with the packaging, based on past history. I hope to be proven wrong.

Again, nobody is fighting on here (and I sincerely hope it stays that way).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 15, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »

Nobody’s fighting on here. I did indeed post about Mike once it was revealed it had nothing to do with the packaging, based on past history. I hope to be proven wrong.

Again, nobody is fighting on here (and I sincerely hope it stays that way).
As the project has been “delayed,“ that implies that it had a release date. Therefore, everyone must’ve signed off on it already. So the most likely reason for the delay is packaging or marketing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: July 15, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »

...except Howie stated on the previous page that packaging delays had nothing to do with this delay

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 15, 2020, 09:39:28 AM »

Given everything going on in the world right now there could be a significant number of things holding this up that have nothing to do with Mike Love. If it is him I wouldn’t be surprised, but I’m also not going to berate the guy based off of mere speculation. Keep in mind many major projects are being pushed to late this year due to a global pandemic currently taking place. Could very well be due to that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:40:18 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: July 15, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »

Very true...considering I myself am dealing with that I should know.

In any case hopefully it is just a delay

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 15, 2020, 12:03:39 PM »

Yeah I am more surprised when things appear these days then when they don’t! I was amazed that Neil Young released Homegrown last month
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 15, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »

All true - my earlier post was a bit gratuitous - I guess another likely scenario is that it's been put off for a while to allow consumer confidence to build up a little more.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 15, 2020, 05:34:34 PM »

Noticed this on the EH Board. A limited reissue of ‘Ten Years Of Harmony’ due in September from Japan under Universal Music.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40330

Description
Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2020, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / not digitally distributed up to this time). The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design (gatefold), including two inner sleeves. Includes an obi faithfully replicating its Japanese first pressing LP design. Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Available as cardboard sleeve packaging for the first time. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

For those that know these things, could this cause a delay in a Box Set?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:36:06 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 15, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »

Noticed this on the EH Board. A limited reissue of ‘Ten Years Of Harmony’ due in September from Japan under Universal Music.

Description
Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2020, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / not digitally distributed up to this time). The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design (gatefold), including two inner sleeves. Includes an obi faithfully replicating its Japanese first pressing LP design. Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Available as cardboard sleeve packaging for the first time. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

Exciting. Looks like this release is part of a broader series of reissues encompassing multiple greatest hits/compilation packages.

Grin
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 15, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »

Yeah, I think this is something Universal Music Japan is doing independently from its US equivalent, and should not affect the feel flows box set.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 15, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »

I wish some Beach Boys related higher power would just say something. Even if it’s just here for the nerds. Very very few non hardcore fans are going to buy this. You gotta be a nerd to want it. This isn’t even level 2 fandom. This is max fandom. The non hyper nerds (like us) who will buy this is extremely negligible. This is strictly for the cork sniffers. Just tell us what the heck is going on and perhaps a proposed quarter it could be released in, please!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 15, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »

"Pursuant to the “use it or lose it” provision (Directive 2001/77/EU, Art. 3(1)), recordings are only entitled to the 20-year extension if they are offered for sale to the public before the expiration of the original 50-year term. Consequently, pre-1963 works that were not released to the public before December 31, 2012 have now fallen into the public domain in Europe."

As I undestand it, if a release in any form does not occur prior to December 31, 2020, all previuosly unreleased material will fall into the Public Domain in the EU.

An interesting side note: There were vocal sessions by Marilyn for a segment of Vegetables. This did not appear on any copyright extension release. I would be curious to know the legal status of those sessions.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 16, 2020, 12:27:00 AM »

My understanding of this law was that it applies on a per song basis for studio recordings.

In other words, an alternate version recording is protected as long as any recording of ghe song has seen release. Thus, say Slip On Through -all versions- are now protected due to the one release on the 1969 C E release.

That being said, I'm sure this coming box will include many songs not previously released (in addition of course to many many alternates).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: July 16, 2020, 01:04:35 AM »

Is Fig Plucker now in the public domain?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: July 16, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »

Description

Exciting. Looks like this release is part of a broader series of reissues encompassing multiple greatest hits/compilation packages.

Grin

A re-re-issue of an old reissue compilation is the exact opposite of exciting in my book. The Beach Boys are all nearly 80 years old and we're still getting more hits compilations.

Can't wait for the audiophile import gold dusted high-rez reissue of this one too!:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:21 AM »

"Ten Years of Harmony" is "special" though. As far as I know, we don't have "Sea Cruise" or the title track readily available on cd. It'll be a welcome addition to my collecrion, personally.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 16, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »

"Ten Years of Harmony" is "special" though. As far as I know, we don't have "Sea Cruise" or the title track readily available on cd. It'll be a welcome addition to my collecrion, personally.
Yes. It's not like we've had dozens of comps focusing on their 70's output. It's still one of my favorite BB's comps.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: July 16, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »

I mean, if someone wants to spend $40-$45 to ship this Japanese CD just to get "Sea Cruise" instead of the million other cheaper ways to snag it, have at it. I'm not even sure of the provenance of the master tapes being used for this. Are they obtaining new first-gen masters from BRI, or are they just using a Japanese sub-master tape? Will it have the weird mixes from the US CD version, or the unique 45 mixes from the UK CD version? Or neither?

"Ten Years of Harmony" is an interesting comp, no question. Just like some fans became fans based on other comps (I remember "Sunshine Dream" being a favorite), I'm sure some folks had "Ten Years..." as their first taste of post-60s stuff.

I guess I am surprised that they legitimately got clearances for stuff like "River Song", which is owned by Guercio/Sony.

But obviously my main point was not so much that stuff like this is objectionable, but rather that reissues and compilations are not what the band and its legacy and its fans need. All hands should be on deck opening up the archives. Then when an international label starts reissuing old Radio Shack comps and stuff, we'll be able to just laugh rather than be annoyed that *this* is what we get instead of <fill in the blank with about a million projects>.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:33:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 16, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

In other words, an alternate version recording is protected as long as any recording of ghe song has seen release. Thus, say Slip On Through -all versions- are now protected due to the one release on the 1969 C E release.

I don't know why I said (typed) Slip On Through. My bad. I meant an example like I'm Going Your Way (California Slide) ie. a previously unreleased track.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 05:25:30 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 16, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »

Is Fig Plucker now in the public domain?

I'd say yes. Go for it - why don't you organise a European release of that one great outtake - knock yourself out.*

* = Not intended as legal advice, for that you need to pay $$!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 05:24:33 PM by thetojo » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: July 16, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »

So technically I could sneak that one in there as a bonus track on an album (not the original recording)?

Asking for a friend... LOL

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 16, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »

So technically I could sneak that one in there as a bonus track on an album (not the original recording)?

Asking for a friend... LOL

Sure, why not? I'll go with, yes (in Europe). But I haven't gone to the trouble of reviewing the relevant laws, just based on my reading of news reports at the time they were introduced.

Tell your "friend"  Wink he/she has TheTojo's imprimatur!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx