gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:55:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841618 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 17, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »

Um, so this has been out there under everyone's noses for over 6 months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3b4NbKvv8

At the time of this video (December), one track of Fred's with vocals was being considered for the boxset, so we might see that on the tracklist. It sounds shockingly good.

Don't know how to take Fred's "this one happened to survive" comment (he previously said he still had all of the tapes), but it's looking like whatever's there has been digitally transferred and will probably make it out in some form before the end of the year.

Not a country fan but that was pretty cool to hear.

By the way, it finally hit me who Fred reminds me off...the late Richard Harrison aka the Old Man from Pawn Stars.  LOL
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 17, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »

Fred always reminded me of Ned Beatty
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:20:36 PM by mtaber » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 17, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »

can't believe I missed Fred's video from last Dec! so cool to finally hear something from the mythical Brian Wilson "country album"

definitely Buddy Emmons playing steel on this track. Jay Dee Maness is a steel legend too, also on the sessions.
sure hope all the songs get to see the light of day!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:27:59 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2020, 02:06:09 AM »

BTW for everyone who's interested in this, here is Johnny Horton's original "All for the love of a girl":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyTTpIVMaP0

Who sang backgrounds on Fred's recording? At first I thought it might've been the Honeys, but now I'm not so sure. I'd need to listen with better speakers than I have right now.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2020, 02:30:15 AM »

Imagine Brian Wilson taking the country music market by storm in 1970, haha!

This sounds indeed pretty good. Nothing earth-shattering but well done and the lead vocals are much better than expected. Reminds me of Spring in a way!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: June 18, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »

BTW for everyone who's interested in this, here is Johnny Horton's original "All for the love of a girl":

Who sang backgrounds on Fred's recording? At first I thought it might've been the Honeys, but now I'm not so sure. I'd need to listen with better speakers than I have right now.
Believe it or not, the female backing vocalist on the finished tracks was none other than a young Linda Rondstadt!

Also, I've heard from a reputable source that as of a couple days ago, the boxset has unfortunately been given yet another delay. I'd been hoping it'd be coming out in August in celebration of Sunflower's 50th, but if I had to guess, an October-November release date for the holiday season seems more likely. I know Howie can only tell us so much, but I would love to know what's been causing so much difficulty in the production, promotion, and ultimate release of this set!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: June 18, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »

Believe it or not, the female backing vocalist on the finished tracks was none other than a young Linda Rondstadt!

Whoa?! Really? Great! And what a nice gesture from Brian to Fred Vail, to record an album for him with such top notch musicians

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »

So, I don't know what this will be, but seems that maybe Fred's Country album teaser may have something to do with this (maybe a tie-in release?)....

Fred Vail presents "Nashville The Studio Scene 1944-2020 (teaser)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKl5sPDfi_c

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: July 11, 2020, 01:09:23 AM »

Whoa?! Really? Great! And what a nice gesture from Brian to Fred Vail, to record an album for him with such top notch musicians

Mind....blown.

As for the delay that sucks but it’ll get here and I know it’ll be well worth the wait!

Besides, we’re dropping an album in September and wouldn’t want it to get overlooked 😆

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 11, 2020, 08:22:37 AM »

Also, I've heard from a reputable source that as of a couple days ago, the boxset has unfortunately been given yet another delay. I'd been hoping it'd be coming out in August in celebration of Sunflower's 50th, but if I had to guess, an October-November release date for the holiday season seems more likely. I know Howie can only tell us so much, but I would love to know what's been causing so much difficulty in the production, promotion, and ultimate release of this set!
It might have to do with that vinyl record pressing plant that burned down a couple months ago. Maybe they want to put parts of the set on vinyl, and they’re having production difficulties.
Keep in mind that I have absolutely no information, I’m just guessing here
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 11, 2020, 05:58:30 PM »

This was shared online recently:

The problem that may cause upcoming major label CD,DVD & Blu-ray music boxed sets to be postponed into 2021 or 2022 or cancelled isn’t manufacturing the discs. Those discs were always pressed under “Clean Room” conditions. The workers always wore masks & gloves. The more serious issues are the fabricating and printing of the packaging elements that are typical of major label boxed sets (10″ x 10″ and 12″ x 12″ boxes and slipcases, hardback & paperback books, posters and memorabilia reproductions), the closing of many mastering facilities, and the millions of unemployed consumers who won’t be able to afford the products.
It is more than boxed sets of “The Beatles-Let It Be” and the earliest John Lennon & George Harrison solo albums that are at stake, but also the following projects that are known to be in development:
The Rolling Stones-Goats Head Soup
Queen-The Miracle
Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Who Sell Out
The Doors-Morrison Hotel
Marillion-Fugazi
Crosby Stills Nash & Young-Deja Vu
Bruce Springsteen-Tracks 2
Neil Young-Archives Vol.2(1972-1976)
The Beach Boys-5-disc set, tentatively titled “Feel Flows”
Cream-Wheels of Fire (+ additional concert recordings)
The Doobie Brothers-Quadio (Blu-ray audio box)
Bob Dylan-The Bootleg Series Vol.16
And, of course, future archival projects by Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Steve Miller Band and (astonishingly) the firsr-ever release of archival material by Joni Mitchell.
Not surprisingly, all the upcoming (late August) boxed sets from the Cherry Red group of labels feature small, simple packaging (mini album covers in a clamshell box). And large format boxes from Gonzo multimedia (America & Trevor Rabin) have been postponed. The issue is obviously printing and fabricating the packaging materials.

The Stones set is definitely coming out.  Here's another reason to take this with a big grain of salt.  The author of this info - Phil Cohen.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 11, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »

The Stones set is definitely coming out.  Here's another reason to take this with a big grain of salt.  The author of this info - Phil Cohen.

Good old Phil - the source of so much despair and doom, oh and don't forget the gloom!

I thought we might get some hard word on something by the end of July though.
Remember the little insert that came with the Good Vibrations b/w Heroes and Villains RSD 78. At least that was something concrete to look at. And that was months before the release. Oh pre-covid times, how I miss thee!
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »

I’m just happy that there’s more confirmation that it’s a full five disc set. That should be packed!!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 12, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »

This was shared online recently:

The problem that may cause upcoming major label CD,DVD & Blu-ray music boxed sets to be postponed into 2021 or 2022 or cancelled isn’t manufacturing the discs. Those discs were always pressed under “Clean Room” conditions. The workers always wore masks & gloves. The more serious issues are the fabricating and printing of the packaging elements that are typical of major label boxed sets (10″ x 10″ and 12″ x 12″ boxes and slipcases, hardback & paperback books, posters and memorabilia reproductions), the closing of many mastering facilities, and the millions of unemployed consumers who won’t be able to afford the products.
It is more than boxed sets of “The Beatles-Let It Be” and the earliest John Lennon & George Harrison solo albums that are at stake, but also the following projects that are known to be in development:
The Rolling Stones-Goats Head Soup
Queen-The Miracle
Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Who Sell Out
The Doors-Morrison Hotel
Marillion-Fugazi
Crosby Stills Nash & Young-Deja Vu
Bruce Springsteen-Tracks 2
Neil Young-Archives Vol.2(1972-1976)
The Beach Boys-5-disc set, tentatively titled “Feel Flows”
Cream-Wheels of Fire (+ additional concert recordings)
The Doobie Brothers-Quadio (Blu-ray audio box)
Bob Dylan-The Bootleg Series Vol.16
And, of course, future archival projects by Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Steve Miller Band and (astonishingly) the firsr-ever release of archival material by Joni Mitchell.
Not surprisingly, all the upcoming (late August) boxed sets from the Cherry Red group of labels feature small, simple packaging (mini album covers in a clamshell box). And large format boxes from Gonzo multimedia (America & Trevor Rabin) have been postponed. The issue is obviously printing and fabricating the packaging materials.

All of which is going to be used as more reasons to stop physical product and force us all to rely on streaming and downloads.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »

It might have to do with that vinyl record pressing plant that burned down a couple months ago. Maybe they want to put parts of the set on vinyl, and they’re having production difficulties.
Keep in mind that I have absolutely no information, I’m just guessing here

I mean there is this weird virus going around named after a beer that's been causing all sorts of wacky chaos...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »

Assuming these "Copyright Extension" releases are still working at least in part on the concept of actually protecting the copyright of some material, then they'll have to at least put something out digitally this year.

A continued economic downturn isn't something that should be ignored when putting product out, but assuming this is a 5-CD set and has even the bare minimum MSRP of such a set ($60-$75 without a bunch of extra books and slipcases and stuff) for a physical iteration, there will also be cheaper (sometimes at least) digital download options, and also many folks (even some aging BB fans) just listen to this stuff on Spotify.

I always prefer physical releases, but we're getting too old to wait for this stuff, so whatever format they can get it out there, I say do it. The second or third generation hipster BB fans that got into "Smile" in the 90s are now hitting their 50s and 60s. Mike Love is less than a year from hitting 80 years old. Even young fans now can't wait until Matt Jardine's great grandson is writing the liner notes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 13, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »

If the box set gets pushed back to the end of this year or the beginning of next, the digital version could get released before the box itself. If packaging delays are what's holding thing up, it makes some sense to go digital first.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:26:48 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 13, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

Packaging delays are not what's holding this up.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 13, 2020, 07:05:49 PM »

So what is?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: July 13, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »

That doesn’t give me a good feeling ... hopefully it’s delayed and not cancelled

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 14, 2020, 01:43:34 PM »

So what is?

The obvious implication is that there is the usual internal wrangling going on. Look Mike just sign off on the damn thing - the fact that you don't have as many songwriting credits as you were given earlier on in your career cannot be changed. Also, no good holding out for liner notes that cast you in a better light.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »

So what is?

The obvious implication is that there is the usual internal wrangling going on. Look Mike just sign off on the damn thing - the fact that you don't have as many songwriting credits as you were given earlier on in your career cannot be changed. Also, no good holding out for liner notes that cast you in a better light.

Wouldn’t Brian, Al, and Carl’s sons have a BRI voting majority here though?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »

My understanding is that new releases of previously unreleased material require unanimity - am I wrong?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: July 14, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »

If that’s what it is, then that’s fucking ridiculous. And if Mike is the sole reason then he can go f*** himself. Some of us would like to hear this music before crossing over, ya know? In 2020 that’s not always a given

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: July 14, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »

My understanding is that new releases of previously unreleased material require unanimity - am I wrong?

Capitol can release previously released (e.g. "original album") material without BRI approval, for 62-69 material that Capitol owns.

For previously unreleased material recorded that Capitol owns, Capitol and BRI both have to approve it, and that only requires a majority at BRI.

This "Feel Flows" set would seem to tend to include mostly post-Capitol material, which BRI owns outright and can do with as they please (requiring again only a majority vote as far as I'm aware). The only other criteria might include whether they have a standing licensing agreement with a label like Capitol/UMG that gives that label "first rights of refusal."

The "Feel Flows" set could include some crossover between Capitol and BRI-owned material; I'm not sure because we obviously don't know what might be on the set from 1969 or whenever. I would imagine Capitol/UMG will distribute any eventual set regardless.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx