gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:59:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841490 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »

Perhaps they could release the whole "Landlocked" album on vinyl to coincide with the box set and promote it as a "lost album".

Even though it's an album that didn't exist in the first place, it will probably help gather more attention from rock magazines and casual Beach Boys fans alike.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2020, 09:10:40 PM »

If the Feel Flows box dies and we get an expanded Sunflower release, A two-disc set like  this would be nice:

Disc Two (associated tracks)
01. "San Miguel"
02. "Loop de Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane)"
03. "Carnival"
04. "I Just Got My Pay"
05. "Walkin'"
06. "Games Two Can Play"
07. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"
08. "Back Home"
09. “I’m Going Your Way”
+++ (let's get this one over an hour of tracks too!!)

You missed one... Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:11:22 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »

If the Feel Flows box dies and we get an expanded Sunflower release, A two-disc set like  this would be nice:

Disc Two (associated tracks)
01. "San Miguel"
02. "Loop de Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane)"
03. "Carnival"
04. "I Just Got My Pay"
05. "Walkin'"
06. "Games Two Can Play"
07. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"
08. "Back Home"
09. “I’m Going Your Way”
+++ (let's get this one over an hour of tracks too!!)

You missed one... Grin

I'm sure I missed a lot more then one  Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »

Perhaps they could release the whole "Landlocked" album on vinyl to coincide with the box set and promote it as a "lost album".

Even though it's an album that didn't exist in the first place, it will probably help gather more attention from rock magazines and casual Beach Boys fans alike.
Landlocked was the original name of Surfs Up.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: February 23, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »

I'm hoping it will include "Feel Flows" with the "surface joy" lyrics.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2020, 03:33:43 AM »

I'm hoping it will include "Feel Flows" with the "surface joy" lyrics.
I totally forgot about that! If you listen very closely, you can hear a voice buried in the second verse that seems to be singing another lyric that doesn't fit with the "main" voice singing the second verse.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 24, 2020, 06:42:00 AM »

I wouldn't even begin to try to construct what I think would be an ideal 1970/71 set, because the whole idea is that there is stuff in the vaults we haven't heard and/or don't know about.

I don't particularly need another simple remastering of the same mixes/tracks we already have seen released. *Remixes* would be of more interest, but even then there is *so much* completely unheard material/songs, *that* should be the focus.

Ideally, a set is big enough to focus on a lot of different types of material. But at the end of the day, we need more "I'm Going Your Way" and that sort of stuff, not another remastering of "I Just Got My Pay".

If we got a 4-5 disc boxed set, I'd hate for like two of the discs to be hogged with another re-re-remastering of "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" and then another remastering of all the non-album tracks that have *already* been released on the GV box, the MIC set, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 24, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »

My main interest is hearing any previously unheard Brian vocals,especially during this period and the one immediately after

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 25, 2020, 03:39:43 AM »

I wonder if the hadwritten lyrics for Surf's Up, which were "The father's life is done, And the children carry on" which supossedly would have occured right before the "Child, Child Child" coda were ever recorded? That would be an interseting find if indeed they were.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 26, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »

In case anyone won't watch Mark Linett's interview video as referenced in the relevant thread, he says that a "large project" is tentatively scheduled for "the fall."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »

In case anyone won't watch Mark Linett's interview video as referenced in the relevant thread, he says that a "large project" is tentatively scheduled for "the fall."
Yes. And he plays new mixes of San Miguel, and the back track for the single version of Cotton Fields.
As Brian would say, it was “outta sight.”
If you are going to watch it, and you just want to here the music:
San Miguel: 3:02:49
Cotton Fields: 3:34:37
The hopeful fall release: 3:38:55
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »

San Miguel is such a great track.  I am surprised it never made it onto Sunflower or Surf's Up.  My one gripe with it is that they don't repeat the catchy chorus/second verse. 
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2020, 12:01:20 PM »

Yes. And he plays new mixes of San Miguel, and the back track for the single version of Cotton Fields.
As Brian would say, it was “outta sight.”
If you are going to watch it, and you just want to here the music:
San Miguel: 3:02:49
Cotton Fields: 3:34:37
The hopeful fall release: 3:38:55

Yeah, the backing tracks of that tunes are so amazing!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »

Nice time for a release

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »

Nice time for a release

yeah, maybe they're going to release it 'til early December
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 29, 2020, 10:24:52 AM »

Nice time for a release

yeah, maybe they're going to release it 'til early December
They'll be competing with the new Let It Be movie and box set plus there is always a slim chance of an All Things Must Pass 50th release (but totally a hopeful guess by me).  Going to be an interesting fall.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: February 29, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »

I wouldn't even begin to try to construct what I think would be an ideal 1970/71 set, because the whole idea is that there is stuff in the vaults we haven't heard and/or don't know about.

I don't particularly need another simple remastering of the same mixes/tracks we already have seen released. *Remixes* would be of more interest, but even then there is *so much* completely unheard material/songs, *that* should be the focus.

Remixes would be sweet.  The Beatles albums that were remixed in the last few years have been really nice.  But I'm sure this box set will have a cornucopia of content.  I'm hopeful we'll get an official announcement of this box set in the next few months at least.   Really excited about this. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2020, 04:54:38 PM »

So I just thought of something. When the Made in California set was being made, the BBs refused to put 5 tracks on it. My Solution, Stevie, Carry Me Home,  Walking, and Thank Him.
2 of these tracks, Walking and Thank Him, have since been released on the 2013 and 2018 copyright extension sets.
But could the BBs some how stop the remaining 3 tracks from being released officially? I know these songs are super easy to find, but if the BBs truly don’t want them officially released, could they do anything to stop from losing the copyrights?
I’m especially wondering about My Solution, which was recorded on Oct 31, 1970. So the song has to be released by Dec 31, 2020 or the BBs lose the copyrights, and any other label can release the songs.
Same with Carry Me Home, which was recorded in 1972. So they have to release it before Dec 31, 2022.
So, will these songs be on this set, or, in the case of CMH, a 2022 Holland sessions set? Even though it’s clear the BBs do not want these available
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: March 05, 2020, 05:47:05 PM »

So I just thought of something. When the Made in California set was being made, the BBs refused to put 5 tracks on it. My Solution, Stevie, Carry Me Home,  Walking, and Thank Him.
2 of these tracks, Walking and Thank Him, have since been released on the 2013 and 2018 copyright extension sets.
But could the BBs some how stop the remaining 3 tracks from being released officially? I know these songs are super easy to find, but if the BBs truly don’t want them officially released, could they do anything to stop from losing the copyrights?
I’m especially wondering about My Solution, which was recorded on Oct 31, 1970. So the song has to be released by Dec 31, 2020 or the BBs lose the copyrights, and any other label can release the songs.
Same with Carry Me Home, which was recorded in 1972. So they have to release it before Dec 31, 2022.
So, will these songs be on this set, or, in the case of CMH, a 2022 Holland sessions set? Even though it’s clear the BBs do not want these available
yeah, i think that they're going to release My Solution this year, Capitol's main priority is releasing archival BB's stuff due to the 2012 european law 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2020, 12:08:52 AM »

yeah, i think that they're going to release My Solution this year, Capitol's main priority is releasing archival BB's stuff due to the 2012 european law 

Bless those Europeans for putting that law into affect. That is indirectly led to all of this wonderful music being released.

What if it turns out there were some hardcore BBs fans in European politics who got the law to happen so that it would  lead to the releases we have been gifted with. I'm sure it's not true, but it's funny to consider it…
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: March 06, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »

I've never heard this. Source??

Well...my thoughts are twofold here:

1) The law only applies to, what??? Europe?? It's still technically protected in the rest of the world. It might not be worth their trouble for such a limited scope.

2) Having said that, maybe one thing they could do is figure out if there's a minimum length of time that the music has to be available in order for it to count for renewed copyright. Let's say the music has to be available for a minimum of one hour. I could easily see them very quietly making the music available but only to certain areas at the most inconvenient time to download, and then once that minimum time is met, yank the music. I think people were afraid that The Beatles' lone copyright extension release was like that -- it went online, but then shortly after it was taken down with no hint that it ever existed. (It reemerged later on that day -- I think the consensus was that there was a problem with the original upload, like incorrect pricing or something.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 06, 2020, 06:57:19 AM »

I've never heard this. Source??

Well...my thoughts are twofold here:

1) The law only applies to, what??? Europe?? It's still technically protected in the rest of the world. It might not be worth their trouble for such a limited scope.

2) Having said that, maybe one thing they could do is figure out if there's a minimum length of time that the music has to be available in order for it to count for renewed copyright. Let's say the music has to be available for a minimum of one hour. I could easily see them very quietly making the music available but only to certain areas at the most inconvenient time to download, and then once that minimum time is met, yank the music. I think people were afraid that The Beatles' lone copyright extension release was like that -- it went online, but then shortly after it was taken down with no hint that it ever existed. (It reemerged later on that day -- I think the consensus was that there was a problem with the original upload, like incorrect pricing or something.)
It was from a September 2013 interview with Rock Cellar Magazine
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: March 06, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »

Keep in mind that “Made in California” was not viewed by the band/label as mainly an “archival” deep-dive set for hardcore fans. It was a coffee-table book/holiday gift sort of CD boxed set for the masses. So they may have had different feelings/thoughts about what would go on a set like that versus what gets dumped onto a “Copyright Extension” set which, in some cases, will only be released digitally.

There is also the simple passage of time that can sometimes lead to band members eventually being convinced to release stuff. Think about the stuff that *didn’t* make it onto the ’93 GV set only to later appear on “Endless Harmony Soundtrack”, and then think about the stuff that didn’t make it onto the EH Soundtrack that appeared later on, and so on.

While I can’t imagine them NOT eventually releasing “Carry Me Home” somewhere, wasn’t that composition technically already published years ago when some band covered it an album of BB/Brian covers? If so, it may be that they wouldn’t *have to* still release that one.

Same thing for “Stevie” and “My Solution”; I think they can be convinced to put those on more obscure archival releases. Frankly, I find the 1980 version of “My Solution” more enjoyable than the 1970 version; certainly more listenable.

There are some archival bits that are unlikely to see official release, but that would be stuff that’s either only available in mediocre or poor sound quality (e.g. the “Hamburger/Cocaine” tape), material that is very challenging to listen to outside of hardcore fandom/scholarship (again the Hamburger tape, etc.), material that is not musically that interesting and is just a bit too “rough” content-wise (e.g. the “Drip Drop” tape), and in a few rare cases items that, whether you agree with it or not, would probably incite backlash/controversy due to the subject matter (I’m thinking of “Lazy Lizzie” most obviously).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 06, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »

Keep in mind that “Made in California” was not viewed by the band/label as mainly an “archival” deep-dive set for hardcore fans. It was a coffee-table book/holiday gift sort of CD boxed set for the masses. So they may have had different feelings/thoughts about what would go on a set like that versus what gets dumped onto a “Copyright Extension” set which, in some cases, will only be released digitally.

There is also the simple passage of time that can sometimes lead to band members eventually being convinced to release stuff. Think about the stuff that *didn’t* make it onto the ’93 GV set only to later appear on “Endless Harmony Soundtrack”, and then think about the stuff that didn’t make it onto the EH Soundtrack that appeared later on, and so on.

While I can’t imagine them NOT eventually releasing “Carry Me Home” somewhere, wasn’t that composition technically already published years ago when some band covered it an album of BB/Brian covers? If so, it may be that they wouldn’t *have to* still release that one.

Same thing for “Stevie” and “My Solution”; I think they can be convinced to put those on more obscure archival releases. Frankly, I find the 1980 version of “My Solution” more enjoyable than the 1970 version; certainly more listenable.

There are some archival bits that are unlikely to see official release, but that would be stuff that’s either only available in mediocre or poor sound quality (e.g. the “Hamburger/Cocaine” tape), material that is very challenging to listen to outside of hardcore fandom/scholarship (again the Hamburger tape, etc.), material that is not musically that interesting and is just a bit too “rough” content-wise (e.g. the “Drip Drop” tape), and in a few rare cases items that, whether you agree with it or not, would probably incite backlash/controversy due to the subject matter (I’m thinking of “Lazy Lizzie” most obviously).

Lazy Lizzie?
In a world with Hey Little Tomboy and Roller Skating Child, Lazy Lizzie isn’t that bad.
The reason Carry Me Home wasn’t released was because of Dennis’s Lyrics hit a little too close to home for some members, my guess is Brian
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »

Lazy Lizzie?
In a world with Hey Little Tomboy and Roller Skating Child, Lazy Lizzie isn’t that bad.
The reason Carry Me Home wasn’t released was because of Dennis’s Lyrics hit a little too close to home for some members, my guess is Brian
yeah, i remember reading that about Carry Me Home not being released
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx