gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:53:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 842011 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 18, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »

It's the Dennis stuff that interests me most, but having said that, there are so many gems that show up once you trawl the archives. Things we never knew even existed before (well maybe just me).

I'm thinking of Peaches right now as I type.

Was it widely known, for example that "New Song" evolved into "Transcendental Meditation" before the 1968 CE release? It certainly wasn't known when that first hit the internet in the 90s.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2020, 06:18:08 AM »

If "My Solution" were to be released, I'd prefer it to be in two versions; one with Brian's "narration" and one without. Well, having a third version with just the instrumental backing would be cool too.  Grin

There's an instrumental track from around the "Keepin' the summer alive"-sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02sDTNUUpk 

The "My Solution" backing track does come from mid-1980, which would post-date the "Keepin' the Summer Alive" sessions, and would be part of the often-overlooked era that I find fascinating: The scattered, seemingly haphazard sessions that took place after KTSA and before BB '85. C-man posted a list of some of this material with recording dates a year or so ago:

early May 1980, WAVES mobile:
BE MY BABY
RIVER DEEP, MOUNTAIN HIGH
GREENBACK DOLLAR
WHY DON'T THEY LET US FALL IN LOVE
BUCKS (Mike original)
CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT (Mike original)
I'M A MAN (Brian original)

May 21, 1980, Western:
SONG WITHIN A SONG (aka remakes of SHORTENIN' BREAD and MY SOLUTION)

October 31, 1980, Western:
FLY

November 18, 1980, Western:
CANDLESTICKS
BOYS AND GIRLS (remake)
UP AGAIN

December 1980 - January 9 & 14, 1981, Sounds Good:
STEVIE (produced by Dennis and Garby Leon)

April 3, 1981, Gold Star:
untitled song

May 19, 1982, Western:
untitled song

May 27, 1982, Western:
WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHY

June 2, 1982, Western:
CRY LIKE A BABY
untitled song

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2020, 06:20:18 AM »

I heard a version (just a backing track) of "My Solution" that was supposedly from 1980, but yeah, I'm guessing if they were going to put it on TBBLY, it'd simply be the 1970 version, to give "Good Time" some company.
Yeah. But also in the same interview he says that Hey Little Tomboy was going to be on Love You.
And the album was also called Brians In Love, and he wanted it out by late September 76. And none of those things happened.
Strangely, he talks about Tomboy as if he knows it’s a weird song, and he knows the problem with it.
But, 1976 was a different time than 2020, so...

Also, why did Brian want to keep recycling old songs around this time?
Susie Cincinnati from 15BO was recorded in 1970, released as the B side to Add Some Music, then released again as another B Side in 1974.
Back Home off 15BO was originally written in 1963.
Obviously Good Time was old.
And Adult/Child’s track list had 3 older 1970 songs for consideration, HELP Is On The Way, Games Two Can Play and I Just Got My Pay.
And for the Christmas album worked on for 77, Santa’s Got an Airplane was based off of a song from 1969-70.
So did Brian genuinely want to get these songs out there?
Was it because his voice was clearer then?
Or did he not have a lot of confidence in his 76-77 material?

While the BBs made unequivocally weird moves as far as re-using *already released* material on occasion (e.g. “Susie Cincinnati”), the re-use of unreleased material (both re-recording old songs and even using elements of older recordings) is more common among musical artists, especially when we’re talking about re-using material only a few years old at the time.

One of the countless great things Mark Lewisohn pointed out in the midst of talking about his first volume of his Beatles biography is that you really have to get out of the frame of mind of thinking of a band’s or artist’s or person’s history based on LP releases, or even particularly in a strictly chronological yearly fashion. While Lewisohn may have been referring more to the story of the Beatles’ *lives* rather than simply their music career, I think this rule can be carried over to some degree to a musical career as well.

So, while in some cases the band probably did just desperately raid the recent section of their vaults for new album material, it’s also possible in many cases that when the band or Brian were using, say, “Hey Little Tomboy” for “MIU”, they weren’t always looking at it as “I guess we’ll have to use an outtake to fill this album out”. Instead, it was “here is my catalog of material that I’ve written and/or recorded; what can I continue to work on?”

Surely other bands/artists have used old material and we never even know it, because there’s no visibility or knowledge regarding what’s in their vaults. Random example is several more recent Jeff Lynne/ELO projects. Nobody would know when the stuff came from, and in a few cases Lynne has mentioned the vintage of a specific track here or there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2020, 08:07:19 AM »

If "My Solution" were to be released, I'd prefer it to be in two versions; one with Brian's "narration" and one without. Well, having a third version with just the instrumental backing would be cool too.  Grin

There's an instrumental track from around the "Keepin' the summer alive"-sessions.

The "My Solution" backing track does come from mid-1980, which would post-date the "Keepin' the Summer Alive" sessions, and would be part of the often-overlooked era that I find fascinating: The scattered, seemingly haphazard sessions that took place after KTSA and before BB '85. C-man posted a list of some of this material with recording dates a year or so ago:

BE MY BABY
GREENBACK DOLLAR
BUCKS (Mike original)

May 21, 1980, Western:

FLY

CANDLESTICKS
BOYS AND GIRLS (remake)
UP AGAIN

untitled song

May 19, 1982, Western:
untitled song

May 27, 1982, Western:

June 2, 1982, Western:
CRY LIKE A BABY
untitled song

Stevie continues to fascinate me.

Was it written/recorded before or after Denny and Christine broke up?
SBonilla
« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2020, 09:26:50 AM »

BE MY BABY
GREENBACK DOLLAR
BUCKS (Mike original)

May 21, 1980, Western:

FLY

CANDLESTICKS
BOYS AND GIRLS (remake)
UP AGAIN

untitled song

May 19, 1982, Western:
untitled song

May 27, 1982, Western:

June 2, 1982, Western:
CRY LIKE A BABY
untitled song

After. He and Christine worked at Tom Murphy's Track Record after this date. I produced an artist friend of mine at Track. On a shelf in the control room was one of their 2" master reels. My friend remembers the tape, too. The date on his tape box is March 28, 1982.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:51:07 AM by SBonilla » Logged
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »

I heard a version (just a backing track) of "My Solution" that was supposedly from 1980, but yeah, I'm guessing if they were going to put it on TBBLY, it'd simply be the 1970 version, to give "Good Time" some company.
Yeah. But also in the same interview he says that Hey Little Tomboy was going to be on Love You.
And the album was also called Brians In Love, and he wanted it out by late September 76. And none of those things happened.
Strangely, he talks about Tomboy as if he knows it’s a weird song, and he knows the problem with it.

Susie Cincinnati from 15BO was recorded in 1970, released as the B side to Add Some Music, then released again as another B Side in 1974.
And Adult/Child’s track list had 3 older 1970 songs for consideration, HELP Is On The Way, Games Two Can Play and I Just Got My Pay.
And for the Christmas album worked on for 77, Santa’s Got an Airplane was based off of a song from 1969-70.

While the BBs made unequivocally weird moves as far as re-using *already released* material on occasion (e.g. “Susie Cincinnati”), the re-use of unreleased material (both re-recording old songs and even using elements of older recordings) is more common among musical artists, especially when we’re talking about re-using material only a few years old at the time.

One of the countless great things Mark Lewisohn pointed out in the midst of talking about his first volume of his Beatles biography is that you really have to get out of the frame of mind of thinking of a band’s or artist’s or person’s history based on LP releases, or even particularly in a strictly chronological yearly fashion. While Lewisohn may have been referring more to the story of the Beatles’ *lives* rather than simply their music career, I think this rule can be carried over to some degree to a musical career as well.

So, while in some cases the band probably did just desperately raid the recent section of their vaults for new album material, it’s also possible in many cases that when the band or Brian were using, say, “Hey Little Tomboy” for “MIU”, they weren’t always looking at it as “I guess we’ll have to use an outtake to fill this album out”. Instead, it was “here is my catalog of material that I’ve written and/or recorded; what can I continue to work on?”

Surely other bands/artists have used old material and we never even know it, because there’s no visibility or knowledge regarding what’s in their vaults. Random example is several more recent Jeff Lynne/ELO projects. Nobody would know when the stuff came from, and in a few cases Lynne has mentioned the vintage of a specific track here or there.

Yes, but my point was that several of the songs that were going to be reused were all from the 1969-1970 period.
Also, I forgot that Good Time was on the Spring album from 1972.
And Ding Dang is clearly one of the examples of Brian just really wanting to get a song out in the world. It was recorded in 73, but Brian was obsessed with that song for years
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »

Yes, but my point was that several of the songs that were going to be reused were all from the 1969-1970 period.
Also, I forgot that Good Time was on the Spring album from 1972.
And Ding Dang is clearly one of the examples of Brian just really wanting to get a song out in the world. It was recorded in 73, but Brian was obsessed with that song for years

I would imagine part of the explanation would simply be that, by 1976/77, if Brian was going to mine old stuff that he remembered/was more relatively heavily involved in, that 69/70 time frame would be the last era where that was the case in any substantial way.

There weren't a ton of nearly or fully completed Brian-centric (meaning mainly written and produced by Brian, with prominent Brian vocals) *unreleased* tracks between 1971 and 1975.

Brian was at the helm for 15BO, Love You, and Adult Child, and it's not surprising that when he needed (or wanted) to dig into older tracks to use, he wasn't reaching for "Hard Times" or "My Love Lives On" or "Carry Me Home", etc. He went for stuff he had been relatively heavily involved in.

Specifically as to "Good Time", I always figured it did have a *relatively* similar sparse arrangement as the tracks on "Love You."

As for "Ding Dang", I don't think that needs much explanation. It's one of countless "Shortenin' Bread" off-shoots/variants Brian had rolling around in his head.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »

I would imagine part of the explanation would simply be that, by 1976/77, if Brian was going to mine old stuff that he remembered/was more relatively heavily involved in, that 69/70 time frame would be the last era where that was the case in any substantial way.

There weren't a ton of nearly or fully completed Brian-centric (meaning mainly written and produced by Brian, with prominent Brian vocals) *unreleased* tracks between 1971 and 1975.

Brian was at the helm for 15BO, Love You, and Adult Child, and it's not surprising that when he needed (or wanted) to dig into older tracks to use, he wasn't reaching for "Hard Times" or "My Love Lives On" or "Carry Me Home", etc. He went for stuff he had been relatively heavily involved in.

While we have many examples of the band taking a Brian fragment or partially-finished song, and then working on it (with little to none further Brian involvement) to completion, do we have any examples of the opposite? Meaning, Brian taking a song idea by a different BB member, then working on it on his own and taking it through to completion with little or no involvement of that originator? I guess an example *might* be Sloop John B, which was just an idea for a cover by Al, that Brian seemingly on his own went down the creative rabbit hole with, mostly on his own.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 19, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »

BE MY BABY
GREENBACK DOLLAR
BUCKS (Mike original)

May 21, 1980, Western:

FLY

CANDLESTICKS
BOYS AND GIRLS (remake)
UP AGAIN

untitled song

May 19, 1982, Western:
untitled song

May 27, 1982, Western:

June 2, 1982, Western:
CRY LIKE A BABY
untitled song

After. He and Christine worked at Tom Murphy's Track Record after this date. I produced an artist friend of mine at Track. On a shelf in the control room was one of their 2" master reels. My friend remembers the tape, too. The date on his tape box is March 28, 1982.

I read about some of those tracks a few years ago. I still for the life of me can't  figure out how Shortnin' Bread and My Solution were meant to go
together.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2020, 12:14:02 AM »

Strangely enough, I can!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2020, 06:23:23 AM »

I read about some of those tracks a few years ago. I still for the life of me can't  figure out how Shortnin' Bread and My Solution were meant to go
together.

If you hear those 1980 backing tracks, it kinda starts to make *some* sense, if only in that they have a very similar recording ambience having presumably been recorded at the same time. But I’d say I can only really imagine as more of a medley, with one song simply leading into the next.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2020, 07:28:52 AM »

While we have many examples of the band taking a Brian fragment or partially-finished song, and then working on it (with little to none further Brian involvement) to completion, do we have any examples of the opposite? Meaning, Brian taking a song idea by a different BB member, then working on it on his own and taking it through to completion with little or no involvement of that originator? I guess an example *might* be Sloop John B, which was just an idea for a cover by Al, that Brian seemingly on his own went down the creative rabbit hole with, mostly on his own.

While not officially credited as such, "Walkin' the Line" seems to crib a noticeable bit from Al's "Looking Down the Coast".

Also, if one believes Dennis Wilson and possibly Garby Leon helped write "City Blues", then that's another example.

Brian's "On Christmas Day" is essentially a partial remake of "Belles of Paris/Bells of Christmas", though who wrote what on the older BB tracks (which includes Brian, Al, and Mike as I recall) is unclear.

Mike did this a few times it would seem. The outtake "Tricia" sounds to me to be a partial re-write of "Sandy/Sherry She Needs Me".

Rather infamously, "Summer of Love" is the last in a long line of tracks riffing on the same deal: Child of Winter/Mike Come Back To LA/Wontcha Come Out Tonight/Some of Your Love.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:24:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »

While not officially credited as such, "Walkin' the Line" seems to crib a noticeable bit from Al's "Looking Down the Coast".

Also, if one believes Dennis Wilson and possibly Garby Leon helped write "City Blues", then that's another example.

Brian's "On Christmas Day" is essentially a partial remake of "Belles of Paris/Bells of Christmas", though who wrote what on the older BB tracks (which includes Brian, Al, and Mike as I recall) is unclear.

Mike did this a few times it would seem. The outtake "Tricia" sounds to me to be a partial re-write of "Sandy/Sherry She Needs Me".

Rather infamously, "Summer of Love" in the last in a long line of tracks riffing on the same deal: Child of Winter/Mike Come Back To LA/Wontcha Come Out Tonight/Some of Your Love.

Thanks for that list, HJ. Very cool.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2020, 09:21:58 AM »

To generalize, I'd say Brian has tended to take musical riffs/motifs/bits from the past, usually of his own writing, and re-work them into something else. He has also of course remade his own finished compositions (e.g. the GIOMH album, etc.).

Dennis tended to do this sometimes as well (e.g. "Moonshine" vs. "Holy Man", etc.).

Whereas, Al has tended to workshop actual recordings sometimes for decades ("Loop de Loop", "Don't Fight the Sea", "Waves of Love") and then also has re-recorded old unreleased compositions ("And I Always Will", "Looking Down the Coast", etc.).

Meanwhile, Mike has often gone the route of just re-recording both BB hits and his own solo stuff over and over and over.

Carl has had so little output that it's hard to know much of what he may have reworked of his own.

Bruce seems to fixate on old tracks too. It was seemingly partly if not mostly his idea to use "When Girls Get Together" on KTSA ten years after the fact. He even toyed with putting 1963's "The Lord's Prayer" on KTSA. He of course infamously re-worked "Here Comes the Night", and also revamped his own "Ten Years Harmony" as "Endless Harmony." He has messed around with "She Believes In Love Again" multiple times after releasing it on BB '85, recording a solo version that popped up on that weird CD sampler a decade or so ago, and supposedly working on it with Foskett during the TWGMTR BB sessions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:23:29 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »

To generalize, I'd say Brian has tended to take musical riffs/motifs/bits from the past, usually of his own writing, and re-work them into something else. He has also of course remade his own finished compositions (e.g. the GIOMH album, etc.).

Dennis tended to do this sometimes as well (e.g. "Moonshine" vs. "Holy Man", etc.).

Whereas, Al has tended to workshop actual recordings sometimes for decades ("Loop de Loop", "Don't Fight the Sea", "Waves of Love") and then also has re-recorded old unreleased compositions ("And I Always Will", "Looking Down the Coast", etc.).

Meanwhile, Mike has often gone the route of just re-recording both BB hits and his own solo stuff over and over and over.

Carl has had so little output that it's hard to know much of what he may have reworked of his own.

Bruce seems to fixate on old tracks too. It was seemingly partly if not mostly his idea to use "When Girls Get Together" on KTSA ten years after the fact. He even toyed with putting 1963's "The Lord's Prayer" on KTSA. He of course infamously re-worked "Here Comes the Night", and also revamped his own "Ten Years Harmony" as "Endless Harmony." He has messed around with "She Believes In Love Again" multiple times after releasing it on BB '85, recording a solo version that popped up on that weird CD sampler a decade or so ago, and supposedly working on it with Foskett during the TWGMTR BB sessions.

I've got nothing to base this on and I might be totally wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the version of "She Believes In Love Again" from the TWGMTR sessions is an overdubbed version of Bruce's solo version from the sampler.

Also to add onto Bruce's obsession with his small list of songs he's written, lets not forget his re-recording of "Disney Girls" as a solo track in 1975 (for some reason credited to Papa Doo Run Run), only to be re-recorded again for his 1977 solo album Going Public and then again in the '90s for his orchestral project. Gotta say, Bruce has written a few tunes and he definitely tries to wring everything he can out of them.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »

RE: "STEVIE" --

I told Stevie Nicks the backstory of the song and got a copy of it to her. She was amazed and had never heard a thing about it. She kept asking "Brian wrote it -- not Dennis?" She was at a loss because she said, "I don't think Brian ever said a single word to me -- ever."

She added that she once caught Dennis perched in a tree watching her in her bedroom. . . . . 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »

RE: "STEVIE" --

I told Stevie Nicks the backstory of the song and got a copy of it to her. She was amazed and had never heard a thing about it. She kept asking "Brian wrote it -- not Dennis?" She was at a loss because she said, "I don't think Brian ever said a single word to me -- ever."

She added that she once caught Dennis perched in a tree watching her in her bedroom. . . . .  

Wow. Maybe Brian had a huge crush on Stevie (like the rest of the world), but was too intimidated to talk to her.

"Stevie" seems to continue the tradition started with "My Diane" where the love or fixation that one Wilson brother had for a woman was oddly handed off to a different Wilson brother to sing the lead vocal on. Only in the case of Stevie, maybe Brian wrote the lyrics from Denny's perspective, but sang them himself? Impossible to know. To think about both songs from a psychological perspective is a fascinating mindf*ck. Maybe it was too personal and embarrassing which caused the change in singer.

There's *got* to be some fascinating backstory with "Stevie", both in terms of content and how it came to be, and it's especially a historically significant song being the only time Denny produced Brian. Can't believe it hasn't been released considering how good it is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:47:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »

Funny thing is that I remember someone online years ago pitching the idea, seemingly partly seriously, that the song was about someone else, even Stevie Wonder. What else could it be? Desper? Kalinich? Stephen Love?

I guess the song takes on a new dimension in that context.....

I can't imagine it being anyone else but Nicks of course, regardless of whose "point of view" the song is supposed to be from.

Regarding all of the purported Dennis/Christine McVie recordings, I'm curious: A) How they've never surfaced for the most part, even though some pretty obscure stuff ("Cocaine/Hamburger Tape", etc.) has surfaced. and B) How substantive/finished the material is. How much is noodling/vamping, how much is backing tracks or just piano tracks with no melody/vocals, and what might be in even a somewhat "finished" state.

Also, C) Do they *really* exist, like multiple studio reels of completely unheard collaborations between the two?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:59:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »

Regarding all of the purported Dennis/Christine McVie recordings, I'm curious: A) How they've never surfaced for the most part, even though some pretty obscure stuff ("Cocaine/Hamburger Tape", etc.) has surfaced. and B) How substantive/finished the material is. How much is noodling/vamping, how much is backing tracks or just piano tracks with no melody/vocals, and what might be in even a somewhat "finished" state.

Also, C) Do they *really* exist, like multiple studio reels of completely unheard collaborations between the two?

The Dennis/Christine material to me, is something I'm filing under "amazing if true" but the thing is what could really be there? As a variation of what the poster above says, is there anything beyond noodling around? And if so, if they were cutting actual songs, were the actually finished. I assume whatever it is, it's not bells and whistles. So at best, hopefully some piano pieces with a decent vocal. And I don't see any duets. Is Dennis early '80s voice and Christine's voice even compatible? It'd be interesting to see what's up with all this.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »

I've got nothing to base this on and I might be totally wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the version of "She Believes In Love Again" from the TWGMTR sessions is an overdubbed version of Bruce's solo version from the sampler.

Also to add onto Bruce's obsession with his small list of songs he's written, lets not forget his re-recording of "Disney Girls" as a solo track in 1975 (for some reason credited to Papa Doo Run Run), only to be re-recorded again for his 1977 solo album Going Public and then again in the '90s for his orchestral project. Gotta say, Bruce has written a few tunes and he definitely tries to wring everything he can out of them.
Excuse me?
Bruce Has written every single song that has ever existed. He said it so himself, remember?
“ I've been alive forever
And I wrote the very first song
I put the words and the melodies together
I am music and I write the songs”
So remember, there is no songs written by Brian Wilson. Or Mike Love.
Not even sure why Mike went after Brian for writing credits, it’s clear Bruce did everything 😂
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »

I spoke very briefly with Bruce yesterday before a show and he mentioned a Sunflower release coming out in summer. That's all I got.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2020, 06:57:14 PM »

I spoke very briefly with Bruce yesterday before a show and he mentioned a Sunflower release coming out in summer. That's all I got.
Yeh! Some news.
I didn’t think it would come out this month.
My guess is a basic set in July or August, with a remastered Sunflower, and another disk or 2 with extras. Around 60-70 tracks in total.
Then, in December we will get a digital exclusive with more live performances and session excerpts.
Very similar to the 2017 sets
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 21, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »

Strangely enough, I can!
Show me. Record a mash-up of the two songs together(from scratch), as you hear/imagine it.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: February 21, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »

If i recall correctly they also recorded a remake/re-recording of Can't Wait Too Long during that period/year
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2020, 06:54:10 PM »

If the Feel Flows box dies and we get an expanded Sunflower release, A two-disc set like  this would be nice:

Disc One (remastered/remixed... nothing on CD yet compares to Desper's master of the British release in quality)
 1. "Cottonfields" (Al's single version in stereo)  3:15
 2. "Slip-On Through"   2:17
 3. "This Whole World"   1:56
 4. "Add Some Music to Your Day"   3:34
 5. "Got to Know the Woman" 2:41
 6. "Deirdre"  3:27
 7. "It's About Time"  2:55
 8. "Tears in the Morning" 4:07
 9. "All I Wanna Do" 2:34
10. "Forever" 2:40
11. "Our Sweet Love" 2:38
12. "At My Window" 2:30
13. "Cool, Cool Water"   5:03
bonus tracks
14. Breakaway 2:56
15. Celebrate The News 3:07
16. Susie Cinncinati ('70 b-side mix) 3:05
17. Fallin In Love  3:02 (yeah, keep the 2012 version)
18. Sounds Of Free (stereo, somehow, sounds so out of place in mono) 2:26
19. Good Time ('70 mix) 2:50
20. When Girls Get Together ('70 mix) 3:31
Total length:   61:07

Disc Two (associated tracks)
01. "San Miguel"
02. "Loop de Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' in an Aeroplane)"
03. "Carnival"
04. "I Just Got My Pay"
05. "Walkin'"
06. "Games Two Can Play"
07. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"
08. "Back Home"
+++ (let's get this one over an hour of tracks too!!)

Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:55:08 PM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx