gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:41:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841646 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »

I'm just going to say one more thing, and that'll be it for me. I lost under the name Jay because that happens to be my actual name.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »

He took it down because he had a hissy fit over being told that he was wrong, and couldn't accept or admit to his mistake.
 COMMENT:   Thank you Jay for making my point.  You see everyone what happens?  It very hard  posting here because of people like Jay who thinks a recording engineer of fifty years, past president and CEO of a NASDAQ traded corporation with offices in five countries, and holder of several international patents, has a hissy fit. Jay, do you really think that after dealing with hundreds of not thousands of people on a creative level to a corporate level I am going to have trouble handling comments from fans -- anonymous fans?

NO!  I took the website down because it was beginning to affect the bottom line -- my livelihood. It's people such as YOU who make unsubstantiated comments as if fact, then others (in a re-posting) put their spin on it and on it goes. You show no respect for yourself by hiding behind a pseudonym taking pot shots at a known personality. In one post on this thread you praise my mix of Sunflower on the study-video with a wonderful comment, and in a following post you accuse me of having an unstable personality that can't handle criticism from some fans. I suppose you believe I had hissy fits all throughout the recording of Sunflower and Surf's Up? Or is this a new trait of my personality that you have detected -- a trait that must be true, because you posted it!!

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME? You have never met me, nor I you. If I had, I wouldn't know you from the other dozen Jays I've known in my life. [/size]

ATTENTION!!!   guitarfool2002  Global Moderator:

Here's an example of what we're talking about on my Honored Guest thread. Jay has made a personal attack to me. If not an attack on my character, then certainly a derogatory remark directed to me and only me.
Under Rules #2 and #5, I demand his post be removed. Also, if you are monitoring the comments posted (and I know you are because you are posting too) why do I need to ask you to remove these belittling darts being thrown my way?  If you are going to monitor, then monitor -- not just add a comment now and then. If you want me, a known personality to continue to post here, then do your job!

You see, Mr. Moderator(s) this is what happens . . . Jay says "he has a hissy fit." This is re-posted as "he is hard to work with." This is re-posted as "he loses his temper often." Then, "he's a loose cannon."  I don't have the time to defend all these roomers, but soon people with whom I must connect in commerce are looking me up on the Internet and finding crap, untrue crap. To which there is no time to take defense. The best thing is to stop them at their source. That's your job.

You see, I can't even post about a box set without some fan trashing me. This box set is about my work and I could contribute much to this website about it, but for poor monitoring of fans' breaking the rules. By not protecting your known posters, you are in effect, protecting all your hidden posters.  If you are not going to monitor and protect identified posters from slander by a few of the hidden identities, then don't expect me to post.
 ~Stephen W. Desper

Have to say I agree with Mr Desper here. I think it’s clear lots of people don’t post here anymore because of similar reasons (including me for many months until this past week). Some are regular fans like me, and others are insiders like Stephen.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:58:38 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2019, 04:45:48 PM »

And even in these deleted scenes, there's certainly no room to overlay NLNTL into the sequence. About the only place where that could've been done would've been when Sharon Tate is playing "Good Thing"--and I think that even if QT had been at all tempted to try that, it would be seen as an overreach to have her listening to Manson's song. As noted, I don't think QT is viscerally a fan of the band, and the fact that he cut these scenes indicates that he didn't think that specific historical detail was important enough to retain.

I don't think anyone has been arguing against this point. Even given his decision to cut a more detailed Beach Boys/Manson connection from the film, as a Beach Boys fan I'm still surprised he didn't use NLNTL in the movie....perhaps just as background noise or someone driving by a record store and the song is heard playing for 3 seconds in passing. Which has been my only point from the beginning. To paraphrase my original post about this topic: I think it would've been a cool Easter egg for people to find. Clearly he didn't want to use the song in the film, or else it would be in there. But I'm still surprised.

Obviously Tarantino made a conscious decision to cut that deleted scene from the film. But I also think it's awesome that he consciously wrote such detail into the script and spent the money to record the scene. Also, there is talk that a 4 hour cut may be made for Netflix, obviously using the deleted scenes found on the blu-ray. But who knows what else could be added? Given NLNTL is mentioned (not by name but at least nodded to) in a deleted scene, I myself wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that the song could be added to footage we haven't even seen yet for a possible Netflix extended version (edit: want to add that I know the deleted scenes added to the current run time of the film make for a 4 hour film, but who knows how he would edit the scenes or if there is additional footage from other scenes already in the film that he would add to such an extended version).

Also want to add that an album that Tarantino said has greatly influenced his soundtracks is the soundtrack to American Graffiti - an album with 'Surfin Safari' and whose latter bookend is 'All Summer Long'...so while this doesn't prove that he likes The Beach Boys, it inclines me to think that it's possible he has a soft spot for them. And until I see his gargantuan record collection, I don't think I'll comment on what music he dislikes (or isn’t a fan of).

I think the film reflects a grownup revisiting his pre-pubescent memories of what things were like in 1969. Focused on his childhood love of certain film/TV genres which he has exploded into a powerful, ultra-violent oeuvre to great acclaim bordering on hero worship by many. He's certainly taken a different tack with OATILA--creating a warm central relationship that is sustained and unsullied by the events that occur in the film--and he tries to proceed by indirection a lot more than usual, which indicates that he really tried a lot harder with this film to reign in his narrative excesses. That probably explains a lot of the cuts that occurred (including the Manson scenes).

And given that nudge-nudge-wink-wink approach to making this film noticeably less violent, and re-anointing his childhood self by making a nine-year-old girl the most focused, together person in the film, I think it's likely that QT acknowledges and appreciates the BBs in their early greatness (the portion that appeals to the teenager)--but I don't get the sense that he has followed them into their late 60s wilderness with anything like the affection so often demonstrated here. There is little evidence that he finds them musically essential for a film about 1969.

If he decides to make a longer version of the film--an ill-advised move from my perspective--he could indeed put NLNTL into the film somehow. But it will always be the case than when he first created the film he wanted to show to the public, that material (and, by extension, NLNTL) was excised from the film. (Assuming, of course, that it was actually in the film in the original cut.)

As a BB fan, I'm agnostic about NLNTL making an appearance in the story. There are more substantive ways to get a handle on Manson and the Family than any version of OATILA is likely to ever provide--with or without the song. I think QT should leave well enough alone and move on to his next project, particularly given the acclaim the film has received. (I can't find any recent references to a four-hour version; that was a prevailing rumor in August, but what happened instead is that QT tacked on a few things for a late-October tweak, which produced decidedly mixed reactions from the media.)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2019, 05:07:26 PM »

Have to say I agree with Mr Desper here. I think it’s clear lots of people don’t post here anymore because of similar reasons (including me for many months until this past week). Some are regular fans like me, and others are insiders like Stephen.

I'm sorry that BRI etal do not seem to understand how valuable it would be to have a fully-realized version of Stephen's account of his years with the Beach Boys available for posterity. I can only speculate as to the reasons why this is the case. I do think that there are some unhealed wounds there which on occasion manifest themselves in the exchanges here, but these are more than offset by the incredibly valuable details and insider insights that have emerged here over the years. For those who have found certain of Stephen's statements hard to reconcile with their own "sense of things," we need to use "tact, poise and reason" (semi-obscure non-BBs musical reference there...) to proceed with further discussion.

The category "honored guest" is separate from the "average" poster here, and we need to be more conscious of this separation. The more we remember this, the more likely it is that Stephen will reconsider his decisions: should that happen, the net benefits to us here at the board are truly immeasurable. We should all be doing what we can to assist in transforming a situation where Stephen's recollections have not been respected and honored at a level that they clearly deserve. Anyone who owns his book or who read the most recent incarnations of the study-videos know what we are currently missing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 30, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »

And even in these deleted scenes, there's certainly no room to overlay NLNTL into the sequence. About the only place where that could've been done would've been when Sharon Tate is playing "Good Thing"--and I think that even if QT had been at all tempted to try that, it would be seen as an overreach to have her listening to Manson's song. As noted, I don't think QT is viscerally a fan of the band, and the fact that he cut these scenes indicates that he didn't think that specific historical detail was important enough to retain.

I don't think anyone has been arguing against this point. Even given his decision to cut a more detailed Beach Boys/Manson connection from the film, as a Beach Boys fan I'm still surprised he didn't use NLNTL in the movie....perhaps just as background noise or someone driving by a record store and the song is heard playing for 3 seconds in passing. Which has been my only point from the beginning. To paraphrase my original post about this topic: I think it would've been a cool Easter egg for people to find. Clearly he didn't want to use the song in the film, or else it would be in there. But I'm still surprised.

Obviously Tarantino made a conscious decision to cut that deleted scene from the film. But I also think it's awesome that he consciously wrote such detail into the script and spent the money to record the scene. Also, there is talk that a 4 hour cut may be made for Netflix, obviously using the deleted scenes found on the blu-ray. But who knows what else could be added? Given NLNTL is mentioned (not by name but at least nodded to) in a deleted scene, I myself wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that the song could be added to footage we haven't even seen yet for a possible Netflix extended version (edit: want to add that I know the deleted scenes added to the current run time of the film make for a 4 hour film, but who knows how he would edit the scenes or if there is additional footage from other scenes already in the film that he would add to such an extended version).

Also want to add that an album that Tarantino said has greatly influenced his soundtracks is the soundtrack to American Graffiti - an album with 'Surfin Safari' and whose latter bookend is 'All Summer Long'...so while this doesn't prove that he likes The Beach Boys, it inclines me to think that it's possible he has a soft spot for them. And until I see his gargantuan record collection, I don't think I'll comment on what music he dislikes (or isn’t a fan of).

I think the film reflects a grownup revisiting his pre-pubescent memories of what things were like in 1969. Focused on his childhood love of certain film/TV genres which he has exploded into a powerful, ultra-violent oeuvre to great acclaim bordering on hero worship by many. He's certainly taken a different tack with OATILA--creating a warm central relationship that is sustained and unsullied by the events that occur in the film--and he tries to proceed by indirection a lot more than usual, which indicates that he really tried a lot harder with this film to reign in his narrative excesses. That probably explains a lot of the cuts that occurred (including the Manson scenes).

And given that nudge-nudge-wink-wink approach to making this film noticeably less violent, and re-anointing his childhood self by making a nine-year-old girl the most focused, together person in the film, I think it's likely that QT acknowledges and appreciates the BBs in their early greatness (the portion that appeals to the teenager)--but I don't get the sense that he has followed them into their late 60s wilderness with anything like the affection so often demonstrated here. There is little evidence that he finds them musically essential for a film about 1969.

If he decides to make a longer version of the film--an ill-advised move from my perspective--he could indeed put NLNTL into the film somehow. But it will always be the case than when he first created the film he wanted to show to the public, that material (and, by extension, NLNTL) was excised from the film. (Assuming, of course, that it was actually in the film in the original cut.)

As a BB fan, I'm agnostic about NLNTL making an appearance in the story. There are more substantive ways to get a handle on Manson and the Family than any version of OATILA is likely to ever provide--with or without the song. I think QT should leave well enough alone and move on to his next project, particularly given the acclaim the film has received. (I can't find any recent references to a four-hour version; that was a prevailing rumor in August, but what happened instead is that QT tacked on a few things for a late-October tweak, which produced decidedly mixed reactions from the media.)

Yes, Tarantino talked a lot about how it was a revisiting of his childhood. In fact it's why a lot of the shots in the film (of driving through Hollywood) are from a low angle - he said he wanted to see the same perspective on film that he saw as a little kid when his dad would drive them through the city. Even if it is a movie that reflects Tarantino's childhood in LA, the film is also full of quirky and over-the-top moments that have no place in a child's memory. Thus again, I'm still surprised that NLNTL wasn't in the film as an Easter egg (not as a pivotal music centerpiece in the film)...with the full understanding that obviously Tarantino didn't want it in the film. I appreciate your replies and see what you're getting at, but it still doesn't change my outlook about it.

As for the Netflix version - what I heard about the late-October tweak was that it was likely a response to the film being banned in China (due to the Bruce Lee scene). What some think is that since that market was closed in China (thus a loss of profit), the movie company wanted to squeeze a bit more money out of the American theater audience by re-releasing it as an "extended" version (which only included two very minor additions to the end and beginning of the movie iirc). If correct, this was such a quick move that I doubt Tarantino had time to do anything substantial in regards to editing (thus it was just a quick bookending of two random additional scenes that added nothing to the movie itself). So such a version isn't really an extended version to the extent that The Hateful Eight (Netflix extended edition) was, thus I don't really think the October release is at all the extended version that Nicholas Hammond talked about in the Summer.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is one of my favorite movies ever. I have read so much about this film, watched so many interviews with Tarantino and the cast. I think it's one of the most perfect pieces of cinematography I've ever seen. So while I think this movie is perfect the way we have it, I wouldn't at all think it an ill-advised move for Tarantino to make an extended 4 hour version...it's like if BW made an extended version of Pet Sounds in 1967 - I would still consider the original Pet Sounds to be definitive, but I would be curious to hear what else Brian was tinkering with for that album. Granted, if an extended version doesn't come out I'm still a happy camper...this movie was above and beyond, and I'm just glad it was made in the first place!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 30, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »

I'm sorry that BRI etal do not seem to understand how valuable it would be to have a fully-realized version of Stephen's account of his years with the Beach Boys available for posterity. I can only speculate as to the reasons why this is the case. I do think that there are some unhealed wounds there which on occasion manifest themselves in the exchanges here, but these are more than offset by the incredibly valuable details and insider insights that have emerged here over the years. For those who have found certain of Stephen's statements hard to reconcile with their own "sense of things," we need to use "tact, poise and reason" (semi-obscure non-BBs musical reference there...) to proceed with further discussion.

The category "honored guest" is separate from the "average" poster here, and we need to be more conscious of this separation. The more we remember this, the more likely it is that Stephen will reconsider his decisions: should that happen, the net benefits to us here at the board are truly immeasurable. We should all be doing what we can to assist in transforming a situation where Stephen's recollections have not been respected and honored at a level that they clearly deserve. Anyone who owns his book or who read the most recent incarnations of the study-videos know what we are currently missing.

Completely agree. There's honestly zero reason that Mr. Desper has to post on this forum (especially in the stunning detail that he does). But he does and I think we are incredibly lucky for this. While some may disagree with some past statements and opinions he has made, there is a certain level of decorum to keep with someone who has given us so much...especially someone who has been consistently open with this community about their past with the band.

Also, would like to add that I think the mods here have done a great job (and have helped keep this community stable and free of trolls - and thus this place has been doing great for the last few years). As for the issue with anonymity of posters, my opinion regarding that was posted recently in the Stephen Desper thread.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: December 30, 2019, 06:46:24 PM »

Reply to Mr. Desper:  Action was taken as soon as both Billy and I became aware of what was going on. Understand that "my job" also involves working for a paycheck, which I was doing in the hours between when these posts were made and when I was able to connect with Billy on one of my work breaks this afternoon. Up until the last 2 minutes of my break at work, both Billy and I were acting on it.

So while I understand the frustrations, please understand too that I am not on call here 24-7, and neither is Billy. When something is brought to our attention, we try to act on it *when we can*. In this case today, I was working and unable to act immediately. So please have some understanding too that this is a volunteer gig which Billy and I do (Billy much longer) because we love the band and the music, we care about this community, and we care about the people who are part of it.

We can't please everyone. Just understand that sometimes our actual work and daily lives delay reading every post up to the minute, and having to read "do your job" is something we just have to let roll off our backs due to the realities of working on the clock as we do and having other issues to deal with on a daily basis. We do our best.

And I also don't want to remind people of the past, but I think we've done a pretty good job cleaning the place up and keeping it civil and focused on the music and the band. There was a time where interpersonal issues and posters acting like jackasses were filling our complaint boxes and causing a lot of people a lot of grief, and one of the best things we did was to put the kibosh on all that stuff. So while it's not perfect, and some want things a certain way and won't be happy until they get 100% demands met, we don't have near the issues that once existed here. And I can say with 100% honesty: Good riddance to all of that nonsense and those who were causing it. They're gone. The board is still here. While it's not perfect, while it doesn't please everyone, it's still a place to read and chat and learn and interact, free of PM smear campaigns, liars and frauds claiming some exemption from the rules and from normal human behavior, and people trying to bully off other members. Again, good riddance to all of that.

Standing offer, as it has stood for years: If anyone has a problem, please reach out to Billy or I with a message. While we can't make the preferred decision all the time, we will absolutely discuss and address any concerns. And that will also keep threads like this on topic for everyone else.

PS: Please remember that in the other thread, some "sources" also gave you information about me and Billy that was completely false, and adding that to a list of false information and outright lies that were and are still circulating about us personally along with distorting and lying about events that happened here, it is definitely not easy to correct lies and misinformation that others with a grudge are spreading around. So I know where your frustrations are coming from, and I've been in the same position as shown by whatever sources gave you incorrect info, along with whatever warped version of events from the past is still being told.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: December 30, 2019, 06:56:25 PM »

Donny, if you have any issues, you have both my private contact info and can reach out to me or Billy here with a message. I'd prefer that to airing out more stuff against this board publicly in a thread like this.

As far as people not posting here, you know better and know the facts of what happened. If people don't post here, that's their choice unless they were banned. And those that were banned - They're no longer welcome here due to their own behaviors. Anyone was and is free to follow them wherever they go, but the numbers and readership has not suffered here, in fact with new members and active posters, the numbers on this board are larger than they were before 2016. So much for the exodus or scorched earth.

We had Brian Wilson himself come on this board to answer members' questions, and some here were more concerned with taking shots at the whole thing and trying to say it wasn't really him rather than enjoying the opportunity. Do you think he'd come back after someone said they'd rather have PeeWee Herman on the board? That's the general level of ass-hattery and disrespect that existed. Again, no regrets for sweeping that garbage out the door. We try to do what we can to keep it running smooth, understanding we can't please everyone.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »

Last one.

I too have learned so much from Stephen Desper's posts through the years, it's impossible to calculate just how much knowledge and enjoyment I've gotten from his writings. Add me to the list of those who would want to see him involved in a project involving the music he recorded hands-on with the band. I felt the same way about the Sgt Pepper deluxe sets when I found out the engineer Geoff Emerick was not part of the process in that sessions/outtakes and deluxe re-release project. These men who know every tape splice, who can recall fader moves and what was patched in on a given section of music, who can recall exactly which microphone and piece of gear was used to get those sounds on any given track, who may even recall what and whose drink of choice caused the stain on a tape box...Yes, I wish there was a way to include them in these archival releases. And it takes some of the luster off the excitement when they are not, for whatever reasons. For me at least, that's my 2 cents.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »

I couldn’t say it any better GF.

On a lighter note... I’m hyped as hell for this set. When I first became a fan back in 1995 this is the time period that spoke to me the most. I never thought we’d see this kind of set,  as it felt like this material would be forevermore the “underground “ music. The Beach Boys as a proto-Tame Impala. Now a set like this feels like the ultimate vindication.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »

I hope the box set would lead to wider re-appreciation of Sunflower and Surf's Up, as Sunshine Tomorrow did for Wild Honey.

On a side note, it's too bad that Rolling Stone replaced Sunflower with The SMiLE Sessions in their 2012 edition of "all time top 500 albums" list. I know they include compilations & best-of's in the list, and SMiLE is a terrific work of art on its own, but I'd have preferred that an actually finished (and great) album stayed in the list rather than an unfinished one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:17:42 PM by Wata » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »

+1
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: December 31, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »

The category "honored guest" is separate from the "average" poster here, and we need to be more conscious of this separation.

I'm going to leave it at this for now : honored or not, everybody should be treated with respect, but it needs to be a two way street.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 31, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »

I will now apologize to Mr Desper for the "hissyfit" comment I made. But yeah, it's a two way street....

SBonilla
« Reply #314 on: December 31, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »

I will now apologize to Mr Desper for the "hissyfit" comment I made. But yeah, it's a two way street....

Is an apology sincere if it uses the words that contributed to the ruckus? And 'but, yea?'
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 31, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »

<Is an apology sincere if it uses the words that contributed to the ruckus? And 'but, yea?'>

Of course not.  Nor is a curt self-defense by an  anonymous poster who notes that he bravely signs his missives with his real... first... name.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: December 31, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »

Second time I’ve asked this to be dropped and for us to move on

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: December 31, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »

The category "honored guest" is separate from the "average" poster here, and we need to be more conscious of this separation.

I'm going to leave it at this for now : honored or not, everybody should be treated with respect, but it needs to be a two way street.

COMMENT to ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩,  I'm sorry, but the only way it becomes a two-way street is if both parties reveal their real and true identity. Otherwise only one party can comment both ways, while the other party can only go down a one-way street.

I'm not certain what you are implying, but given the number of posts I have placed over the years, I believe you would be hard-pressed to find my treatment of any fan less than respectful and polite.

When I started posting here on Smilesmile, many "insiders" warned me of what I was getting myself into, saying ... in the end you will come out on losing as they are merciless as long as they are unknown.  I am beginning to understand why I was cautioned and why so many principle players remain silent.

From my perspective the solution is effective monitoring with action taken if the rules are broken. When you fellows took over that task, this site was not too friendly a place. I acknowledge the work you have done to make it a more friendly place and encourage you to continue, as this is an on-going problem that will always need your attention.

~swd
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:52:54 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »

Beach Boys fans haven't been gettin' any since 1968. 3 songs and Murry is just not enough. Beach Boys fandom demands a big release.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »

With all due respect...

You had indeed insulted us based on what had happened several years ago (and not just here). I thought we had cleared the air about it back then. Someone took offense to it. (Hell, *I* took offense to it but said nothing. ) said poster did not know you edited your original post and apologized for it.

And as for real and true identity, screw it. My name is William Terry Castillo. Date of birth 13 August 1978. Houston, Texas. I’m Hispanic and Dutch/Jewish. That’s all the personal information I’m giving out, but hopefully it proves sufficient to have my words and thoughts matter.

And if it seems like I’m a bit angry, it’s because quite frankly I am. Again, I thought we had moved on from what happened years ago. I’d seen your posts here and elsewhere making references to it and I let it slide. Some of those were not the nicest. I said nothing and now I wish I had, as it is readily apparent that these issues weren't cleared up. I once let a (then-) honored guest verbally abuse and threaten members with no consequences ...I'm not saying you're doing that, just making the point on why everybody has to be treated the same

More to the point, I’m angry that we’re having this discussion when we have far more interesting things to talk about right now
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:11:14 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »

Ok, f*** this. I'm gone.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2019, 02:21:13 PM »

Ok, f*** this. I'm gone.

If you are, I am as well, but I'd rather us try to take this via PM and at least try to fix all this Sad

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »

Jay, just my opinion, but sometimes a simple apology is best in these situations--qualifying it even a little bit tends to bring out the nit-pickers.

"Honored guests" are entitled to exercise some additional demands and expectations. Some will do this more than others, just as some of us will tend to be more aggressive and flamboyant in our mode of expression here. I agree with Billy that we should endeavor to be courteous to all, so long as we don't all become so nice that it becomes deadly dull!! 
Cool Guy

Best wishes for a Happy New Year to all who post here. There have been a number of great threads over at the other place, but this is still the place to be IMNSHO. Long may it remain that way. Remember 2020 is destined to be a magical Beach Boys year for so many reasons. But I think whenever we reference the soon-upcoming year, it should always be notated as follows, just to reinforce our special relationship with it...

Welcome to 20/20, everyone! Wink
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »

"Honored guests" are entitled to exercise some additional demands and expectations.
No, they aren't. They are human beings just like us.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2019, 04:07:51 PM »

Agreed...but let's please put this aside and get back to the boxed set

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx