gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:37:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841738 times)
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2019, 06:07:03 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:04:06 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2019, 09:47:10 AM »

I hear Brian in the mix.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 28, 2019, 09:57:50 AM »

To be fair, there was much more of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood cut out, for example, this is an outtake with Manson specifically regarding 20/20 and NLNTL;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmg1J62Ut_k

Thanks so much for this! I wonder if, like the Hateful Eight, they'll do an extended version for Netflix with the deleted scenes added. Nice to see that NLNTL (at least alluded to) was a part of this film, even if it did get cut.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2019, 01:00:36 PM »

IF a box set is forthcoming, fingers crossed, I really, really, REALLY hope that some of those Stephen Desper mixes that he shared with us in those study videos will be part of it. I remember listening to a mix of Cool, Cool Water that blew my mind. (Only heard it once) It would be the perfect opportunity to get his versions out to a wider audience.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »

Amen. I literally quit listening to my Sunflowef/Surf's Up twofer after hearing the version in his study video. There just didn't seem to be a point to hearing it in any other way.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »

Amen. I literally quit listening to my Sunflowef/Surf's Up twofer after hearing the version in his study video. There just didn't seem to be a point to hearing it in any other way.

For real? I loved the versions in the study mixes, but I gotta hear 'This Whole World' once in a while no matter what version it is!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2019, 02:41:39 PM »

For real? I loved the versions in the study mixes, but I gotta hear 'This Whole World' once in a while no matter what version it is!
I may have listened to it once or twice after, but that's about it. Only because "Slip On Through" is my all time favorite Dennis song as a group member.  Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 29, 2019, 02:49:27 PM »

I may have listened to it once or twice after, but that's about it. Only because "Slip On Through" is my all time favorite Dennis song as a group member.  Grin

It blows my mind that 'Slip On Through' wasn't a hit. With 6 5 discs of material, here's to hoping there's an early demo of that (and other songs) on this set!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:00:11 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »

I may have listened to it once or twice after, but that's about it. Only because "Slip On Through" is my all time favorite Dennis song as a group member.  Grin

It blows my mind that 'Slip On Through' wasn't a hit. With 6 discs of material, here's to hoping there's an early demo of that (and other songs) on this set!
Me too. Maybe the rhythm was to complicated? Sometimes I still lose the beat it  if I try to sing along.
Six discs?!?  Shocked

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »

It blows my mind that 'Slip On Through' wasn't a hit. With 6 discs of material, here's to hoping there's an early demo of that (and other songs) on this set!
Me too. Maybe the rhythm was to complicated? Sometimes I still lose the beat it  if I try to sing along.
Six discs?!?  Shocked

Oh shoot, I meant 5 discs. The source I heard for that number was that previous ESQ article...not sure where they sourced that info from though.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »

I wonder if the second Flame LP will be included?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 29, 2019, 11:49:37 PM »

To be fair, there was much more of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood cut out, for example, this is an outtake with Manson specifically regarding 20/20 and NLNTL;

With that out of the way, I'm really digging this new take of I'm Going Your Way moreso than the oft booted version, although I hear some of the bootleg still in there (towards the end), so I'm kind of curious to know what the process of editing this was, because it sounds to me it was very much like how Alan and Mark pieced together Walkin' from last year into a close to complete song.

Truth be told, and I guess we were spoiled with the last few years of Beach Boys outtakes and studio content, but I really liked this release, even though it's so little. 

Proving my point that QT knows that story, but that he decided that such a level of detail was not needed in the film. To be "fair," you have to acknowledge that QT made a conscious decision not to go down that road any further than he did.

And even in these deleted scenes, there's certainly no room to overlay NLNTL into the sequence. About the only place where that could've been done would've been when Sharon Tate is playing "Good Thing"--and I think that even if QT had been at all tempted to try that, it would be seen as an overreach to have her listening to Manson's song. As noted, I don't think QT is viscerally a fan of the band, and the fact that he cut these scenes indicates that he didn't think that specific historical detail was important enough to retain.

As for the sound of "I'm Going Your Way"--it clearly sounds much better in this version, but I don't hear it as being all that much closer to being a completed song. As others have noted, it still needs some added elements. It certainly reminds us that the band had very disparate material striving to be heard, but what's also clear is that other up-tempp tunes from Dennis were taken to completion in its place ("Got to Know the Woman," "Slip On Through," "It's About Time") and they do tend to fit more neatly into the evolving idea of what the BB's were in its 1970 incarnation. Unlike what we've seen in the 1968 material, which raises some interesting questions as to just how the material for FRIENDS was decided upon, there's nothing here that raises similar questions concerning SUNFLOWER (in any of its incarnations).
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2019, 04:12:44 AM »

With that out of the way, I'm really digging this new take of I'm Going Your Way moreso than the oft booted version, although I hear some of the bootleg still in there (towards the end), so I'm kind of curious to know what the process of editing this was, because it sounds to me it was very much like how Alan and Mark pieced together Walkin' from last year into a close to complete song.

Truth be told, and I guess we were spoiled with the last few years of Beach Boys outtakes and studio content, but I really liked this release, even though it's so little.  

Proving my point that QT knows that story, but that he decided that such a level of detail was not needed in the film. To be "fair," you have to acknowledge that QT made a conscious decision not to go down that road any further than he did.

And even in these deleted scenes, there's certainly no room to overlay NLNTL into the sequence. About the only place where that could've been done would've been when Sharon Tate is playing "Good Thing"--and I think that even if QT had been at all tempted to try that, it would be seen as an overreach to have her listening to Manson's song. As noted, I don't think QT is viscerally a fan of the band, and the fact that he cut these scenes indicates that he didn't think that specific historical detail was important enough to retain.

I don't think anyone has been arguing against this point. Even given his decision to cut a more detailed Beach Boys/Manson connection from the film, as a Beach Boys fan I'm still surprised he didn't use NLNTL in the movie....perhaps just as background noise or someone driving by a record store and the song is heard playing for 3 seconds in passing. Which has been my only point from the beginning. To paraphrase my original post about this topic: I think it would've been a cool Easter egg for people to find. Clearly he didn't want to use the song in the film, or else it would be in there. But I'm still surprised.

Obviously Tarantino made a conscious decision to cut that deleted scene from the film. But I also think it's awesome that he consciously wrote such detail into the script and spent the money to record the scene. Also, there is talk that a 4 hour cut may be made for Netflix, obviously using the deleted scenes found on the blu-ray. But who knows what else could be added? Given NLNTL is mentioned (not by name but at least nodded to) in a deleted scene, I myself wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that the song could be added to footage we haven't even seen yet for a possible Netflix extended version (edit: want to add that I know the deleted scenes added to the current run time of the film make for a 4 hour film, but who knows how he would edit the scenes or if there is additional footage from other scenes already in the film that he would add to such an extended version).

Also want to add that an album that Tarantino said has greatly influenced his soundtracks is the soundtrack to American Graffiti - an album with 'Surfin Safari' and whose latter bookend is 'All Summer Long'...so while this doesn't prove that he likes The Beach Boys, it inclines me to think that it's possible he has a soft spot for them. And until I see his gargantuan record collection, I don't think I'll comment on what music he dislikes (or isn’t a fan of).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:43:52 AM by rab2591 » Logged

twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2019, 05:06:53 AM »

Can I find this anywhere online?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2019, 06:27:31 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:03:27 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »

No, sadly. He pulled them down awhile ago after fears that BRI would shut it down...I don’t really know how to summarize it...someone else can probably jump in and fill in the details. I really only heard his mix of “Vegetables” because I never had the time to sit down and go through all of his mixes.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »

No, sadly. He pulled them down awhile ago after fears that BRI would shut it down...I don’t really know how to summarize it...someone else can probably jump in and fill in the details. I really only heard his mix of “Vegetables” because I never had the time to sit down and go through all of his mixes.

I would have thought it was more like he pulled them down after some um...rigorous debate here and other places regarding who was singing on the Sail On, Sailor video he uploaded.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »

Apparently the "study videos" can still be found online.

I think there was also some debate over the background vocals on "Surf's Up." SD insisted it was "Michael, Michael," as in calling to the angel Michael, but the vocal isolations that have been circulating (I think from the EH DVD 5.1 mixes) make it clear that it was "bygone, bygone." SD's explanation: there were two separate tracks with different vocals, and what we've been hearing was the wrong one.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »

Here's hoping "Carry Me Home" finally sees the light of day and gets a proper release.  I can't wait for the announcement of this box set.  This might be my favorite era for the band.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »

Here's hoping "Carry Me Home" finally sees the light of day and gets a proper release.  I can't wait for the announcement of this box set.  This might be my favorite era for the band.

Agreed. I’m also looking forward to hearing any possibly unheard Brian leads that would show off the change in his voice, as I’ve been obsessed with that for many years

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: December 30, 2019, 11:41:50 AM »

I think there was also some debate over the background vocals on "Surf's Up." SD insisted it was "Michael, Michael," as in calling to the angel Michael, but the vocal isolations that have been circulating (I think from the EH DVD 5.1 mixes) make it clear that it was "bygone, bygone." SD's explanation: there were two separate tracks with different vocals, and what we've been hearing was the wrong one.

There are the old 5.1 DVD isolations, and also for many years now a "vocals only" mix of the song has been around, and it's clearly *not* anything close to "Michael, Michael". I think it's clearly "bygone", but slightly more plausible (likely incorrect) possibilities are the usual "my god" or "by god", etc.

I always got the impression that "vocals only" mix was a sort of raw, "all vocal faders up" rough "mix", which one would think would have revealed alternate vocal tracks, but who knows. Whenever that was mixed down, other things may have been muted.

When can we start the "I miss my pad" versus "I miss my pet" debate for "That's Not Me?"  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »

He took it down because he had a hissy fit over being told that he was wrong, and couldn't accept or admit to his mistake.
 COMMENT:   Thank you Jay for making my point.  You see everyone what happens?  It very hard  posting here because of people like Jay who thinks a recording engineer of fifty years, past president and CEO of a NASDAQ traded corporation with offices in five countries, and holder of several international patents, has a hissy fit. Jay, do you really think that after dealing with hundreds of not thousands of people on a creative level to a corporate level I am going to have trouble handling comments from fans -- anonymous fans?

NO!  I took the website down because it was beginning to affect the bottom line -- my livelihood. It's people such as YOU who make unsubstantiated comments as if fact, then others (in a re-posting) put their spin on it and on it goes. You show no respect for yourself by hiding behind a pseudonym taking pot shots at a known personality. In one post on this thread you praise my mix of Sunflower on the study-video with a wonderful comment, and in a following post you accuse me of having an unstable personality that can't handle criticism from some fans. I suppose you believe I had hissy fits all throughout the recording of Sunflower and Surf's Up? Or is this a new trait of my personality that you have detected -- a trait that must be true, because you posted it!!

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME? You have never met me, nor I you. If I had, I wouldn't know you from the other dozen Jays I've known in my life. [/size]

ATTENTION!!!   guitarfool2002  Global Moderator:

Here's an example of what we're talking about on my Honored Guest thread. Jay has made a personal attack to me. If not an attack on my character, then certainly a derogatory remark directed to me and only me.
Under Rules #2 and #5, I demand his post be removed. Also, if you are monitoring the comments posted (and I know you are because you are posting too) why do I need to ask you to remove these belittling darts being thrown my way?  If you are going to monitor, then monitor -- not just add a comment now and then. If you want me, a known personality to continue to post here, then do your job!

You see, Mr. Moderator(s) this is what happens . . . Jay says "he has a hissy fit." This is re-posted as "he is hard to work with." This is re-posted as "he loses his temper often." Then, "he's a loose cannon."  I don't have the time to defend all these roomers, but soon people with whom I must connect in commerce are looking me up on the Internet and finding crap, untrue crap. To which there is no time to take defense. The best thing is to stop them at their source. That's your job.

You see, I can't even post about a box set without some fan trashing me. This box set is about my work and I could contribute much to this website about it, but for poor monitoring of fans' breaking the rules. By not protecting your known posters, you are in effect, protecting all your hidden posters.  If you are not going to monitor and protect identified posters from slander by a few of the hidden identities, then don't expect me to post.
  ~Stephen W. Desper
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:22:44 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: December 30, 2019, 02:11:47 PM »

No more.... let’s move on

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: December 30, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »

Agreed that it is best to move on, the post will be removed, and please moving forward let's not have any more like this.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: December 30, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »

There are the old 5.1 DVD isolations, and also for many years now a "vocals only" mix of the song has been around, and it's clearly *not* anything close to "Michael, Michael". I think it's clearly "bygone", but slightly more plausible (likely incorrect) possibilities are the usual "my god" or "by god", etc.

I always got the impression that "vocals only" mix was a sort of raw, "all vocal faders up" rough "mix", which one would think would have revealed alternate vocal tracks, but who knows. Whenever that was mixed down, other things may have been muted.

When can we start the "I miss my pad" versus "I miss my pet" debate for "That's Not Me?"  LOL

COMMENT to 37!ws:  Yes, it is all correct.  What I said was, you can hear Michael, Michael (that's what I hear) or "bygone, bygone."

Don't you see (or hear) it's not about what is sung, it's about what is heard. You can hear both or one, like an optical illusion of a turning box, can look like it's turning one direction and then turn the other direction.

It's one of many sonic illusions. You know how it's done? As I said, there are two tracks. If both are mixed together, the listener can hear either one. A sonic delusion. You are hearing the "wrong track" if you hear the other track  Smiley 
~swd
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx