gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:52:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841601 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »

Whatever happened to the Durrie Parks acetates on eBay? Been meaning to make a topic on it ..

They were purchased by a private collector, and are basically unheard other than a tantalizing snippet at the very, very tail end of Wake the World Friends set.

I own that. Where at, exactly in the digital set is it? I really need to make a topic about this...
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2019, 05:05:54 AM »

Whatever happened to the Durrie Parks acetates on eBay? Been meaning to make a topic on it ..

They were purchased by a private collector, and are basically unheard other than a tantalizing snippet at the very, very tail end of Wake the World Friends set.

I own that. Where at, exactly in the digital set is it? I really need to make a topic about this...

At the very end of the 1966 Child Is Father of the Man track.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2019, 01:23:07 AM »

Indeed. Please start that topic.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2019, 08:48:22 AM »

Regarding the continued speculation and guessing and all of that, while anything too outlandish or unrealistic isn’t really conducive to anything, I don’t think speculation and guessing is uncalled for.

Yes, these “extension” drops have almost always been done with weirdly *zero* publicity. In fact, we’ve never really had a firm answer as to why neither Capitol/UMe publicize these sets ahead of time (other than maybe a few days in a few cases?), and do very little publicity even after the sets drop (I recall a few articles last year, though I honestly can’t remember whether Capitol or BRI did any sort of press release or if it was just music writers writing about the ’68 sets). It’s almost as if there’s some edict or agreement that these sets can only happen if they’re *not* heavily publicized. I dunno.

These sets will always have a pretty narrow audience, but I can’t fathom that releasing some info on the digital sets a few weeks ahead of time would do anything but *help* those releases. A little bit of hype and excitement wouldn’t be a bad thing. Why not pluck a track or two out and tease them? I suspect something like that might occur next year for a bigger, possible physical release of something. But it costs Capitol and BRI virtually nothing to do just drop a quick press release a few weeks ahead of time for an “extension” set, nor to pick a track or two and plop them on YouTube and other services to tease the releases. It’s why I wonder if the idea with these copyright extension “dumps” of material is that most parties (apart from those trying to get the band and the label to celebrate their back catalog) feel it’s best to keep these things low key.

In any event, while we shouldn’t expect anything other than radio silence given most of the sets from past years (the exceptions usually being the few that got physical releases), the radio silence leaves us with little else to do but speculate and guess. I think that sort of stuff when based on some sort of logic or reasoning (past years’ patterns, public listings that people dig into, etc.) is fine, and fun.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »

Totally agree Hey Jude.  Speculation is what the message boards are for.  In the old days we'd meet other fans and speculate in person or over the phone.  This is the same thing.  I think it's a lot of fun.  Some people get annoyed by it.  They don't have to read it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

2HeyJude: "Hype" & speculation may be, wellll, helpful but it's definitely not fun - this date shifting "this Friday", "No, next Friday", "forget it, next next next Friday" is really pain in the neck. & extremely hilarious at the same time. Cheesy Didn't even think that random user at light trifle site reddit would even be listened & everybody seriously excited by his/her date guesses. Now it really makes sense. #makessense100% #wowamazingnews!!!  #WeGetItAnyFridayWoohoo!!! 3D #WhoSpeculatesCorrectDateWillWin3-storeyMansion

Cheesy

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »

the type of speculating the merits of which are being questioned here is, of course, by intent or happenstance, speculating the wrong thing

don't waste time speculating when but instead WHY

at such an 11th hour position we'd think all details of the release would be sewn up tight.  a delay like this can only mean they still aren't

so what/who is holding up the 'done deal'?

i.e., material (recorded or written) proved not as represented or inexplicably not delivered, terms as written were not as discussed or presumed, rights to material were omitted or failed, financial figures still being haggled about, much more editing work required than had been thought to make it as presentable as desired,  agreements by principals not signed, marketing studies changing on a daily basis, mistakes discovered only after the passage of 50 years

those are all unknowns to us, without being tipped and that may happen in the crunch of things
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »

Calling it a delay implies they intended to release it one of the last two weeks - which we've already established we have no evidence of.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2019, 02:55:48 PM »

I'll be frank...until I get some sort of real proof that something's happening, it's not happening. I've heard diddly sh*t all year about this until the recent Reddit post. Don't know why I let that sway me for a bit; quite possibly wishful thinking on my part

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2019, 07:20:29 AM »

Like much of the speculation, it depends on what definitions of terms we’re using. Can we safely call anything a “delay” in this case? I don’t know. There are multiple types of delays. There are cases were a release date is announced, and a delay pushes it back. That’s certainly *not* the case here, where no release has been announced. However, there are of course internal delays. A release may have been in the offing with a tentative date that got pushed back. Let’s remember that even in cases where there absolutely *has* to be a release by the end of the year for copyright purposes, they for whatever reason always wait until the last few weeks of December to do it. So I never assume anything is coming, and when it seems that it *is* coming, I always just assume December 31 until I hear otherwise.

As a beleaguered long-time BB fan, I know never to assume *anything*. However, I’m not sure why there are suppositions that there is like *zero* indication of something coming. Two band members have indicated something is coming, if only in physical form in the coming months. Unless someone is just making s**t up, those Soundscan entries for song titles with dates tied to them are certainly pretty compelling if circumstantial evidence. And yes, there have been other “rumblings” from a variety of sources throughout the year.

My guess some time back was that we were going to get sort of a “Sunshine Tomorrow” or “Party Unplugged” sort of situation where a physical release ran concurrent with a digital counterpart (with either identical content or a digital “sequel” like we got for the ’67 stuff). I wonder if a physical set release has seen any number of easily imaginable delays (it’s the BBs and BRI we’re talking about here, and we’re also talking about an era in the band’s career where the non-Brian members have a larger stake/interest in the material since they were writing and singing and producing more of it, hence more potential negotiating and vetoing, etc.), and maybe the plan changed relatively late in the game to secure the needed material for protection by the end of this year in digital form. Then, in turn, they’d still need everybody to sign off, and they’d probably still want to not make it another “Big Beat ‘63” with only odds and ends of limited interest, so they may still want to fashion something more presentable in the mode of the ’67 and ’68 studio sets.

But I’m not annoyed by the speculation; it’s fun. And this is coming from someone who has for DECADES now been saber-rattling about opening up the archives, that those archives are frankly more interesting and important than any live tours or new studio material to be honest. There’s a team in there now working on this, and if *that* team can’t make the BBs/BRI open up the archives, then nothing will make that happen short of scenarios we don’t want, namely when the BRI members are deceased, by which time even the 90s hipster fans the bands gained will be headed towards collecting social security.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2019, 03:02:25 AM »

Well, its Friday in New Zealand and
... no new releases Sad
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »

Unless I've missed something, there has been no official announcement of any new Beach Boys product, compilation or box set.  All we have to work with is Jardine's vague statement.  But if this potential release was going to focus on the Sunflower/Surf's Up era, wouldn't it make more sense to put it out next year for the former album's 50th anniversary?  Hasn't that been basically how they've been releasing these last few compilations?  Why would we expect this to come out beforehand?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »

Unless I've missed something, there has been no official announcement of any new Beach Boys product, compilation or box set.  All we have to work with is Jardine's vague statement.  But if this potential release was going to focus on the Sunflower/Surf's Up era, wouldn't it make more sense to put it out next year for the former album's 50th anniversary?  Hasn't that been basically how they've been releasing these last few compilations?  Why would we expect this to come out beforehand?
Bruce also mentioned the box.  And it would be coming out in 2020 at this point.  We are just hoping for an additional 1969 digital release (similar to something like Sunshine Tomorrow Part 2) to drop tomorrow.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »

Maybe next Friday...

(wishful thinking on my part)
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »

This new digital set is sure to sell a million units....... in January!!!!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »

Unless I've missed something, there has been no official announcement of any new Beach Boys product, compilation or box set.  All we have to work with is Jardine's vague statement.  But if this potential release was going to focus on the Sunflower/Surf's Up era, wouldn't it make more sense to put it out next year for the former album's 50th anniversary?  Hasn't that been basically how they've been releasing these last few compilations?  Why would we expect this to come out beforehand?

If there are any unreleased songs from the Sunflower/Surf's Up era that were recorded in 1969, then they'd need to be released by year end. Something akin to “Walkin’” or "Well You Know I Knew", which were recorded during the 20/20 sessions in 1968.

I'd be surprised if there's not at least a digital release of live performances, perhaps with a few studio recordings tacked on to ensure copyright protection (if there are any).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:25:17 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »

Well, its Friday in New Zealand and
... no new releases Sad

Was hoping to have it for Christmas like last year. That's a shame

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2019, 11:50:33 AM »

Does this mean I’ll be able to do Fig Plucker without any retribution? Asking for a friend... LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »

As far as I'm concerned this silence and lack of a download release this year is all good news if you are like me and want all of this 1969-71 material in a physical box.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2019, 04:35:32 AM »

I think we can at least conclude what they don't want to include on a theoretical box set. Perhaps that's what we got today!
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2019, 05:02:34 AM »

As far as I'm concerned this silence and lack of a download release this year is all good news if you are like me and want all of this 1969-71 material in a physical box.

I don't even own a cd player, so it's bad news for me
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2019, 05:53:19 AM »

Does this mean I’ll be able to do Fig Plucker without any retribution? Asking for a friend... LOL

If these type of tracks are not released by 23:59, December, 31, 2019, they will fall into public domain, at least within the EU, correct?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:54:00 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »

Any physical media release will also have a digital release component as well.

Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2019, 08:11:21 AM »

Maybe the separate release of the Murry tracks should have been a clue. If we were getting another copyright dump this year, wouldn't they have just been thrown in the big pile like the past curios we've received, Audree's vocal track from last year, etc? I think this is it for 2019.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:13:46 AM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2019, 09:26:14 AM »

Any physical media release will also have a digital release component as well.
How do you know, though? The powers that be could simply say "nope", and that would be it. It may be an overly pessimistic view, but I assume/expect nothing, and just hope for the best.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx