gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:24:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 839044 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: August 27, 2021, 05:14:41 PM »

For those who like a good VDPs quote. He mentions the FF period for the group in today’s LA Times.

: “These guys couldn’t get laid in a women’s penitentiary with a fistful of pardons.”

LOL

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-08-27/beach-boys-surfs-up-sunflower-feel-flows
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: August 27, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

This got me all farklempt:

"The Beach Boys' catalogue follows you through life, like a musical calendar or diary.  In these confusing days when everyone is desperate for a little rest, a little kindness, and a little peace of mind - The Beach Boys feel like home.  They represent our past, present, and most beautiful key."

Thank you, Howie.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 06:18:03 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: August 27, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »

Listening to Surfs Up and Sunflower on this set I kinda wish they had done new mixes of them. The new mixes sound a whole world better, no high end sharpness and no distortion on vocals.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: August 27, 2021, 06:48:47 PM »

This release of "Awake" is everything I always wished it would be. So beautiful. My jaw is on the floor.
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: August 27, 2021, 06:49:03 PM »

Fabulous work everyone, Howie, Mark, Alan, anyone else I missed. I may just be some random poster, but want to know the appreciation for your hard work over the years. I'll peruse over it all the next few days, definitely know what will fuel my morning walk tomorrow. Listening to Sunflower now; man, what a masterpiece. If Pet Sounds is Brian's masterpiece, Sunflower is The Beach Boys' masterpiece. Just wish Dennis would have been represented on the original Surf's Up album. Oh, and that Sunflower didn't bomb.  

Anyway, back to the chauffeur headquarters to smoke and listen more; with headphones like Brian would want.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 06:51:47 PM by Join The Human Race » Logged
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: August 27, 2021, 07:01:48 PM »

What stores are selling this?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: August 27, 2021, 07:05:56 PM »

Still battling on the charts all these years later haha

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: August 27, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »

Anyone else getting "don't talk put your head on my shoulder" vibes from the bridge of  "long promised road" at 1:22 on the track & background vocals mix?

Damn this set is TOOOOO good.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: August 27, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »

It's amazing to me how a new mix can breathe so much life and vivid colour into music one is well acquainted with.

Nitpicking but the Sunflower and Surf's Up albums themselves were just remastered, not remixed.
I still sometimes hear things I didn't before, and are there longer fades?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: August 27, 2021, 07:51:33 PM »

For those who like a good VDPs quote. He mentions the FF period for the group in today’s LA Times.

: “These guys couldn’t get laid in a women’s penitentiary with a fistful of pardons.”

LOL

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-08-27/beach-boys-surfs-up-sunflower-feel-flows

LOL LOL LOL

(except Denny)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: August 27, 2021, 07:54:51 PM »

There better be Grammy awards for this.
Not just the Grammy. The Nobel for promoting global harmony.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: August 27, 2021, 08:08:50 PM »

"A Day in the Life of a Tree" track & backing vocals

MIND ABSOLUTELY BLOWN
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: August 27, 2021, 08:14:32 PM »

Duplicate post... several hours after the fact. weird.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 08:15:44 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: August 27, 2021, 08:29:34 PM »

Having to make do with Spotify until September 14, apparently.

Just wanted to chime in with the massive thanks and appreciation for all involved in making this release possible from its conception (starting in '69) to finally entering the world.

I love hearing all of the new details in the mixes, and I just wanted to mention that I think one of the approaches taken here was not necessarily to make the best possible "new" version but rather make something for those of us who already have the originals embedded in our brains. I'm reminded about the quote about how the stereo Pet Sounds is not meant to replace the mono; same thing here. Hopefully I'm not wrong about that! But I can only imagine how hard it would be to devise so many satisfying new mixes given the wealth (or dearth, in some cases) of material available.

Happy listening, everyone!

Watch out for snakes!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: August 27, 2021, 10:07:23 PM »

Nice touch of placing "(Wouldn't It Be Nice) to Live Again" after "Til I Die" and "Surf's Up", thus restoring the intention of that song being last in the sequence of SU songs, which Denny was denied.

I have a hunch there are gonna be a bunch of little sweet heartstring-tugging touches like that, just waiting to be discovered in the set (be it sequencing, and many other deliberate choices that were made during mixing or choosing of takes), thanks to tasteful and well-thought-out work by the box's compilers. Great, great work, fellas.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:09:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: August 27, 2021, 10:41:32 PM »

This release of "Awake" is everything I always wished it would be. So beautiful. My jaw is on the floor.

Ditto X10000
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: August 27, 2021, 11:46:07 PM »

Regarding the Murry/Brian dynamic on the "Won't You Tell Me" demo, am I the only one who kind of think that they are both being deliberately condescending to each other? Murry saying that it was the best thing Brian had sung in five years, and Brian's overly dramatic laugh.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3967 on: August 28, 2021, 01:08:57 AM »

Any reports on how the vinyl pressings are yet?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3968 on: August 28, 2021, 02:03:31 AM »

I listened to some of it on youtube (I will have to wait for the big set, because I need to save some dimes). What I heard is beautiful! What great music - and great work done to present it. Thanks to all involved!

One thing that I am very happy about is that the live cuts don't have this strange delay as they did on the "Made in California" set. The recordings on FF sound great and man how they rocked on "It's about Time". It makes you want a set dedicated to their live performances of the early 70s.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: August 28, 2021, 05:10:20 AM »

The importance of this set to my inconsequential existence.

I first became a Beach Boys fan when my brother Tom came into my room in 1970, placed headphones on my noggin, and set to spinning a Warner Brothers sampler LP on my turntable, The Big Ball.  He played This Whole World and that was it!  The band appeared on The David Frost show and I saw them perform Vegetables, Forever and Falling in Love.  He and I went to Bob Hyatt Stereo in Rochester NY and I bought Sunflower.  Didn’t know Brian from Carl.  A year later I bought Surf’s Up on the day it hit the stores, after having heard it previewed on East coast AM radio giant WKBW out of Buffalo NY - they played Student Demonstration Time and Disney Girls several times, overlaying their interjection of “WKBW exclusive” in the midst of each song to keep it from being booted.  So, those two albums got me rolling.

I became very involved with this band - did my two wacky newsletters and made friends all over the world, several of whom have since passed. And I’ve been waitin eagerly, as have we all, for this box set.

I very badly wanted to get this set as soon as the record store opened yesterday.  I had called on the 26th and was told “we have it but can’t sell it till tomorrow”.  Store opens at 10AM, I arrive at 9:30 wearing a Brian T-shirt, looking like an old idiot, but who cares.  Door opens at 10, I go inside - “we don’t have it, try again Monday “.  WHAT?Huh? This store is 35 miles from my home, no big deal, but WAIT TILL MONDAY?  No freaking way!!!

I return home and call every record store reasonably near me.  No dice.  Though, one guy did say “I’m actually listening to the set on Spotify as we talk!”  I finally locate a store who had the 5CD set, asked them to reserve it for me, and headed out on my quest to North Olmsted, Ohio (well I’m goin back this summer, to OHIO).  A scant 260 mile journey! But I’VE GOT TO GET THIS TODAY!!!

I arrive and there is the most beautiful thing I’ve seen in a long time, Feel Flows!  Laid down my cash and went to my car and started with disc 5 and listened to the set on the 4 hour drive home. 

Mind blown!

Mind blown!

Mind BLOWN!!!!!

The highlights are -

EVERYTHING!!!

Thank you to all involved in this.  Thank you thank you thank you!!!
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: August 28, 2021, 05:31:27 AM »

"Baby baby":

My favorite from the box: "Baby baby"! Shows they were as good as the Beatles! However, the singing? Are they making fun of disabled people?
Too bad they didn't make a descent recording... and more rockers like this!!

"Behold the night":
My life is almost complete - I've heard the most beautiful song ever: "Behold the night". But oh how I wish the whole song would sound like the beginning of the song instead of wandering off...

I wonder if Mike & Co. will include any of Dennis's songs on the Feel flows world tour...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: August 28, 2021, 07:03:10 AM »

I finally locate a store who had the 5CD set, asked them to reserve it for me, and headed out on my quest to North Olmsted, Ohio (well I’m goin back this summer, to OHIO).  A scant 260 mile journey! But I’VE GOT TO GET THIS TODAY!!!

I arrive and there is the most beautiful thing I’ve seen in a long time, Feel Flows!  Laid down my cash and went to my car and started with disc 5 and listened to the set on the 4 hour drive home. 

Mind blown!

The rest of your story is amazing, but THIS^ is truly supporting these guys - and by guys I don’t really mean the band as much as I mean Howie, Mark, and Alan (and others who helped with this set). What a great story!

The wife and I are in the final processes of buying our first home so I’ve had to put any extra money I have towards that…I had preordered the set on iTunes but I really want the physical set so I canceled the pre-order. I plan on getting either the 5 CD or the 4 vinyl set in the coming weeks and listening to it then. I’m leaning toward the vinyl set.

I’m so glad that everyone is enjoying the set. I hope everyone who helped make this is enjoying reading the reactions!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: August 28, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »

Here's my latest revised SURF'S UP sequence:

Side One:
Don’t Go Near The Water
Long Promised Road
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Disney Girls
4th Of July
Student Demonstration Time
Surf’s Up

Side Two:
Feel Flows
Lookin’ At Tomorrow
Big Sur
Lady
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
‘Til I Die
(Wouldn’t It Be Nice) To Live Again
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: August 28, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »

Thanks Mark, Alan and all the guys for including the live tracks from all the different decades.

These live tracks are gold!!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3974 on: August 28, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »

Here's my latest revised SURF'S UP sequence:

Side One:
Don’t Go Near The Water
Long Promised Road
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Disney Girls
4th Of July
Student Demonstration Time
Surf’s Up

Side Two:
Feel Flows
Lookin’ At Tomorrow
Big Sur
Lady
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
‘Til I Die
(Wouldn’t It Be Nice) To Live Again

That would've made an absolutely killer set! Nothing is lost, and so much is gained...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx