gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:07:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 [285] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1396183 times)
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: April 30, 2023, 03:43:18 AM »

Do we know why Brian used a bass saxophone and baritone sax combination on Do It Again instead of (what had been) his previous standard of tenor and baritone saxes?

Those are two bass saxes playing a line in unison, not a horn section with any sort of harmony.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 03:45:18 AM by WillJC » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: April 30, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »

Do we know why Brian used a bass saxophone and baritone sax combination on Do It Again instead of (what had been) his previous standard of tenor and baritone saxes?

Those are two bass saxes playing a line in unison, not a horn section with any sort of harmony.

Also by the time Do It Again rolled around, the Two sax Tenor/Bari pairing was long since superseded by a more flexible approach, with many different sax and wind combos.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: May 16, 2023, 09:07:04 PM »

Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere...

So.... I'm watching this new Mickey Mouse documentary on the Disney+ channel and, lo and behold, I hear the backing track to Heroes and Villains begin to play!  Needless to say, I was gobsmacked, especially when they played parts that I'm not sure made it into the final version!  Nothing us diehard fans haven't heard, of course, but still!  They used three distinct sections of the Heroes and Villains backing track for essentially a minute and forty-five seconds! 

The name of the new documentary is "Mickey: The Story of a Mouse."  The underscoring starts at 17:27 and ends at 19:15.

Check it out if you can!

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: June 07, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »

Very cool Dan Lega. I checked it out and enjoyed. Sounds like BWPS H&V to me. Verse then "Boys and Girls" section then chorus. Haven't watched the whole doc, but with that musical backdrop and taking heads over top of that section, reminds me of the David Leaf Smile documentary.

--

On another Disney related topic, did anyone ever get to hear the original mix that was prepared for the Reimagines Gershwin album before Al Schmitt was enlisted to remix it?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: June 25, 2023, 11:22:17 AM »

For those with Sirius/XM access, there was a tribute to Brian on The Beatles Channel.
On Demand, Way Beyond Compare:Beatles Rarities with Tom Frangione.

Songs include:
A Friend Like You
Wanderlust (Brian’s cover)
Vegetables
You Still Believe in Me -Paul said he really likes this song

Songs and commentary. Interview with Brian who was in fine form. I guess you all had heard it but it’s the first for me. He played a bit of Hey Jude, and She’s Leaving Home (which he said made Marilyn cry when she heard Paul play it).

He said that a couple of Beatles moments “scared” him -the final chord in A Day in the Life and Paul’s scream in Hey Jude.

Finished with BBs live version of Back in the USSR.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: June 28, 2023, 07:36:50 PM »

What is the weird stylophone sounding instrument throughout take a load off your feet? You hear it immediately at the songs start. It’s super noticeable in the alternate mix.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: August 20, 2023, 06:53:00 PM »

Why did Dennis not sing during their hearts were full of spring in the early 60’s? You see him singing but not mic’d up.
Did he ever sing round with the group?
When brian stopped touring did they continue to perform this song? Was he present at the mic then?
Did Dennis sing on a young man is gone?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: August 21, 2023, 12:03:40 PM »

If you are referring to the 1965 Andy Williams show I don’t know but he sang the song on the April 1965 Shindig episode-though that clip is not as well known
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: August 21, 2023, 07:17:33 PM »

Did he sing on a young man is gone? Do we know? I think I hear him but not the whole time which is quite confusing.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: August 21, 2023, 09:11:15 PM »

Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring is a song that The Beach Boys always sang in four part harmony, as it was originally performed by The Four Freshmen. Dennis didn't have the ability to learn it in 1961, and there was really no reason for him to ever sing it after that. Dennis is not on A Young Man is Gone.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7110 on: August 22, 2023, 10:07:02 AM »

Speaking of Their Hearts Were Full of Spring... I may have asked this here already, can't remember.

I saw the Mike & Bruce Beach Boys in 2016 and they did a "faster" version of THWFOS. It still sounded amazing IMO but was noticeably brisker than any version I've heard before, including then-recent versions by the BBs & Brian's group, with less stretching out of words. Was this arrangement sped up to e.g. reduce vocal strain for the guys in 2016, or is there a "faster" arrangement from many decades back that this was replicating?

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: August 24, 2023, 08:33:30 PM »

Anyone know why Brian's 2004 solo album "Gettin' In Over My Head" still isn't available to stream or download?  Don't make sense to me, it's a perfectly good album and should be widely available again!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: August 27, 2023, 11:16:04 PM »

Anyone know why Brian's 2004 solo album "Gettin' In Over My Head" still isn't available to stream or download?  Don't make sense to me, it's a perfectly good album and should be widely available again!

Hi Bedroom Tapes, I don’t have a good answer, especially because I haven’t heard the album myself. I thought the general consensus was that Brian and Melinda aren’t so fond of it now, but I could very well be wrong and welcome a correction if necessary.

I do remember reading in (I think) an interview (conducted by someone I can’t remember) with Alan Boyd and Mark Linett, in which Mark said that he wasn’t aware of that and that he would look into it. I can’t remember exactly when this interview took place but I want to say it was no earlier than the release of the 1968/2018 archive sets and no later than around the time of the release of Feel Flows in 2021.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: September 08, 2023, 08:12:48 PM »

Two questions.

Did the Boys ever talk about Dean Martin? Being that Carl married his daughter and the Sunflower album cover is on his property. Dean is a fantastic singer. I wonder if they ever harmonized or discussed music. Not to mention the Boys sang Things we did last Summer - and in similar style to Dean.

Secondly, please, can anyone provide some chords for the rare and never talked about instrumental “let’s live before we die”?
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: September 22, 2023, 10:39:34 AM »

Is the 1973 Hollywood Palladium 4/20/1973 "release/dump" the only one that was "found" for those short, fleeting moments? Were New York or Hartford (two I've seen mentioned) ever dumped online then disappeared?
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: December 03, 2023, 05:45:15 AM »

My last post on here was April 2022…dang might as well make my return now lol

I don’t think I’ve asked this yet but do we have any clue as to when Blondie did his vocal for Its a New Day? I would assume it would’ve been done pretty early on in the CATP sessions but I could be wrong about that.

Additionally I do remember the basic track lineup from before about a few months ago elsewhere (Dennis on tack piano, Daryl on bass and Dennis Dragon on drums) but I wanted to see if more information has popped up since then.

Sorry for the lengthy post lol
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: December 13, 2023, 07:54:42 PM »

I asked Carl about his father in law Dean Martin in 1993, he said he was doing much better, he dies 2 years later

Cook pork throughly
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: December 21, 2023, 02:26:19 AM »

Does dennis sing or play on when girls get together? Wikipedia has him listed as being in the track but not his role.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: December 22, 2023, 12:51:58 AM »

Does dennis sing or play on when girls get together? Wikipedia has him listed as being in the track but not his role.

This I can answer. Dennis had nothing to do with When Girls Get Together, the overdub was either Brian or someone else but just not Dennis. This also means that Dennis is basically absent on KTSA altogether! Additionally, research has since been found that proves that the acoustic guitar on the track is Carl, not Al Vescovo (who plays pedal steel) according to Will (I do remember this lol). So no Dennis, but confirmed Carl at least (and also, check out the Sail On podcast, which points out that Brian is playing piano and that awesome marxophone part). Overall, Mike, Brian and Carl are the only beach boys on the recording.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:55:28 AM by nts and the drum » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: February 26, 2024, 12:01:17 AM »

Having recently discovered Jan did the string arrangement on Surfer Moon - was this before or after Surf City? Is there a proper timeline of where I can read about the history of Brian and Jan collabing?

Do we know if Brian asked Jan or did he volunteer? Has either spoken of this song and his involvement?
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: February 28, 2024, 03:04:37 AM »

Can ANY one post chords the the unreleased/incomplete outtake of “Let’s Live before we Die” please? I have been begging others for awhile. I consider this a great long lost Beach Boys classic that could have been utilized all the way up to Today and I’d love to learn it and study it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 [285] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx