-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou Thread
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou Thread  (Read 6941 times)
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:43:25 AM »

Thought I would start a thread for this movie.  It's so densely saturated with interesting visuals, vibrant colors, great mise-en-scenes, dialogue, characters, music...and Bill Murray is the Zissou.

...Does anyone care to expound?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:51 AM »

I liked the name of the boat...The Bellafonte.

Are we in agreement that Bill Murry is the biggest talent to ever emerge from SNL?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:48:39 PM »

Are we in agreement that Bill Murry is the biggest talent to ever emerge from SNL?

Funny, I thought that was Chevy Chase... Smiley

I loved this scene with Steve and Ned...it's one that deftly blurs the line dividing tragedy and comedy:

Ned: When'd you first hear about me?

Steve: About five years ago.  I...read it in an article about myself.

Ned: Did you believe it?

Steve: It was in the paper.  I assumed they checked their facts.

Ned: Why didn't you contact me?

Steve: Because I hate fathers and I never wanted to be one.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 02:06:23 PM »

I loved it, just as I have loved all of Wes Anderson's movies so far. Owen Wilson said something in a recent interview about "going to India with my friend Wes to make a movie" recently. I haven't heard anything else, but I am pretty excited for whatever it might turn out to be.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 02:36:21 PM »

It's called The Darjeeling Limited, and will also have Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman.

This is kind of funny:

http://www.steelydan.com/heywes.html
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »

I liked the name of the boat...The Bellafonte.

Right after Dan Ayrkroyd.  He's coming to Detroit soon to do his Blues Brothers schitck and I'm itching for tickets.

About the movie, I actually hated it.  I hated nearly everything about it.  The visuals were interesting and I actually really enjoyed the action scenes and their ridiculousness, but as a whole, rubbish.

My favorite movie of all time is Rushmore and was so eager to see this.  I just thought it was incredible unfunny and uninteresting.  It was a weak premise that didn't hold up for me and just snowballed into ridiculousness.  I mean, pirates?  Not doing it for me.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 08:52:37 PM »

About the movie, I actually hated it. I hated nearly everything about it. The visuals were interesting and I actually really enjoyed the action scenes and their ridiculousness, but as a whole, rubbish.

My favorite movie of all time is Rushmore and was so eager to see this. I just thought it was incredible unfunny and uninteresting. It was a weak premise that didn't hold up for me and just snowballed into ridiculousness. I mean, pirates? Not doing it for me.

I thought as a whole, it was very interesting, and full of interesting moments.

• The film showing and Q & A at the film festival ("Was it a deliberate choice never to show the jaguar shark?"  "No. I dropped the camera.  Why are they laughing?")
  • Steve meeting Ned, then momentarily escaping reality to the tune of "Life On Mars?"
  • The "Let me tell you about my boat" sequence, where the kitchen "contains probably some of the most
    technologically advanced equipment on the ship."
  • The first interview between Steve and Kate.  ("Did it seem fake...when my best friend was bitten in half right in front of me...then eaten alive, screaming?  I think you're a fake.  And I think you're a phony...and a bad reporter.  How does that feel?  Now tell me something.  Does this seem fake?")
  • Bud Cort from "Harold and Maude" playing Bill, the Bond Company Stooge.  ("I'm also a human being.")
  • Team Zissou breaking into the sea lab.
  • During the pirate sequence, when Ned says "Wake up, Ned-o.  I'm sorry I yelled at you."  It's not supposed to be funny, by the way, rather scary and instilled with anxiety.
  • The letters between Steve and an 11 1/2 year old Ned.
  • Every scene with Hennessy.
  • Every scene with Klaus Daimler.
  • The scene with Steve and Ned in the helicopter (I won't elaborate for those who haven't seen the film.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:57:40 PM by idigworms » Logged
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:15:36 PM »

OLD GREGG
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 08:58:16 AM »

I mean, pirates?  Not doing it for me.
That's strange, especially after all the time you've spent on the docks over the years... Cheesy

I thought the premise was sexy powerful. I like the premise of water.

I'm OLD GREGG!!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 10:31:39 PM »

Bump for Bowie!

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 08:23:58 AM »

I love Zissou. It takes repeated viewings to really get it all. But with each viewing I like it more and more. Brilliant.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »

This is an awesome article by a guy who appeared in the movie for a grand eight seconds.  Although somebody doesn't know how to spell "aquatic": http://www.yale56.org/life_acquatic.htm
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 06:25:21 PM »

I became deliciously drunk yesterday and watched this again, with director's commentary. It was a pleasure.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 06:47:47 AM »

I've read complaints about the commentary, in that it was captured in the restaurant that Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach frequented during the writing of the film.  I haven't listened to it yet, just bits and pieces and it seems like an interesting idea to me, with the clattering "peas-and-carrots" ambience.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »

It was, and you can hear background noise. Big deal...didn't bother me at all.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 01:12:30 PM »

It was, and you can hear background noise. Big deal...didn't bother me at all.

Cool, will have to take the 2 hours to sit down and watch (and listen).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: