gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:01:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Murry Christmas - new single  (Read 2977 times)
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:57:44 AM »

Well, after years of working on this little by little (until, last year when I decided to give it my all), my big day has arrived. Welcome to the world - if you can stomach it - my second Murry Wilson single. Both vinyl and digital releases are now available.

Murry Wilson became a copy-written songwriter the year before he became a father and 20 years before he became the “father of the Beach Boys.” He was a working songwriter, with copyright listings beginning in 1941.

I started this project in 2002 but gave up after a basically fruitless year of research. The internet wasn’t loaded with enough Murry yet.

I resurrected the research last year, and found that beyond the obvious stuff all BB fans know about (Many Moods, Sunrays, Honeys, Beach Boys), he also wrote songs recorded by The Jets, The Four (Hollywood) Flames, Red Callender Sextet, The Bachelors, Bonnie Lou, Johnnie Lee Wills and His Boys, Johnny Hall and His Star Rangers, The John Buzon Trio, and more.

In short, Murry wrote (or co-wrote) over 50 songs between 1941 - 1972. Mostly vocal songs. About 20 were recorded and released in Murry’s lifetime by a small variety of acts. About 30 were never recorded. More than half of his songs are currently ‘lost’ as I see it unless they are sitting in a Wilson family archive box somewhere. Even the Library of Congress destroyed all of his submissions due to age and relevance (I didn’t know they destroyed copyright submissions).

The two songs on this single were originally recorded by The Bachelors, a 1950s L.A. accordion-led trio under bandleader Jimmy Haskell. Vinyl copies can be extremely hard to find. I’m thrilled to get new versions of Murry’s compositions out in circulation again, over 60 years since their debut.

Vinyl: https://www.discogs.com/George-Faulkner-George-Faulkner-Sings-Murry-Wilson-Vol-2/release/14228792
Digital: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/georgefaulkner/george-faulkner-sings-murry-wilson-vol-2
More info here, if interested: boltrecords.net/

Read more: http://endlessharmony.boards.net/thread/690/murry-christmas#ixzz64h6RmqgG
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »

That is really incredible detective work, and producerial hard work, right there.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:54:58 AM »

Thanks so much. The research part of this has been a blast. I have about 10 songs collected so far, I know what the next two recordings will be, and am hoping to find more. I would love to release a full album. Unfortunately, it seems BB fans aren't very interested across the board. I shouldn't be surprised. Lots of Murry hate out there to contend with. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »

JS, I remember your "Two Step, Side Step" single from a few years back. I see now that you announced it here in June 2015. I also noticed your topic asking about Murry's infamy during his lifetime...

Your version of "Happy, Happy Holiday" deserves plenty of plugs this Christmas. Some nice touches there, including the falsetto lines and the Duane Eddy-style solo. I'll link it wherever I can. And the B-side is a gas too. Grin

I think the hate for Murry has lost its edge now and your projected album would go down better than you suspect! I'd say just do it--if nothing else, it would be a celebration of all the hard work you've done. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:07 PM »

Thanks, JK. I appreciate the kind words and feedback. The way my distributor works, I won't know how well the single performed until after Christmas, so just need to hang in there and see what happens. The hate does seem to be toning down a bit, that's true. This single may be a lot more fun than the next if I stick to my current plans - two upbeat Murry love songs. But if this new single doesn't do well, I may need to pivot to a couple more of the oddball Murry tunes. I have two that have a military angle if you can believe it. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 03:24:40 AM »

You're welcome. Murry is full of surprises! It would be great to hear some previously unheard oddball stuff from MGW (military or otherwise) but let's hope "Happy, Happy Holiday" does well instead. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 07:00:46 AM »

Darian just commented on it on Facebook, so at least it's getting into good hands. Hard to be so disconnected from product performance.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »

Darian just commented on it on Facebook, so at least it's getting into good hands.

That's very cool!

Hard to be so disconnected from product performance.

That must be very frustrating. Let's hope for the best in the intervening period. Wink

Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 01:57:04 PM »

Rodney Bingenheimer played the Christmas song on his Sunday night radio show last night. I'm thrilled. The only snag is Rodney mentioned it was a cover taken from Many Moods, which it was not. All spins are good spins though. I'll take it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 03:00:20 PM »

Rodney Bingenheimer played the Christmas song on his Sunday night radio show last night. I'm thrilled. The only snag is Rodney mentioned it was a cover taken from Many Moods, which it was not. All spins are good spins though. I'll take it.

That's fantastic! Congrats. Smiley

Well Rodney should get himself a musical education. LOL Your projected album would help him along nicely--just keep that in mind. Wink

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx