gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:50:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Campfire Acoustic Session :Endless Summer TV Series  (Read 16134 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2019, 08:16:22 PM »

(Sssshhh.....keep it quiet but still available in NZ)

Wait maybe I was wrong it seems to be working now. I must have clicked on another one of my almost 200 open tabs and assumed it was this one that got pulled for copyright. Carry on.  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2020, 03:16:14 AM »

A very nice cleaned up video and audio of not just the campfire segments, but every Beach Boys appearance and Brian solo segments in the series. Nice job as usual DJ L33.

https://youtu.be/YTjmGs00Gdo
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2020, 05:41:16 AM »

It’s only taken 30 years but someone has put the campfire sessions together in a very watchable clip. Enjoy now in case it’s taken down.
Thank you Dan Thomas Music.

https://youtu.be/8bAg73OBicg

In case YT does eventually take this one down, you can download the video itself by putting the link above into this address:

https://www.y2mate.com/en24

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »

Surreal to see Brian strutting the stage like Mick Jagger... or at least Mike Love (in leather pants? and a double-breasted blazer).  The Landy era was weird.  Everyone pretty much agrees that Landy was over-medicating and improperly medicating (and was an overall crappy person), but the popular conception of how Brian was during that period is somewhat inconsistent with what we see in this video. 

And, thinking about it, isn't that sort of true of almost every period?  Brian supposedly "out of it" post-Smile, 1968-70, and then an interview will surface and he sure doesn't sound "out of it."    Ditto for various other periods in the '70s, '80s.    Funny how reality is often more complicated than the official or unofficial narrative.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »

Ok, I was actually at that concert.  Brian's actual appearance on stage was brutal. BRUTAL. Physically he looked good, yes. But Landy was using him like a trained Bear.  The audience couldn't understand a word he was singing (this was all dubbed in post production) and his strutting?  As a Beach Boys and Brian hard-core fan, I was really embarrassed and hard pressed to explain it to the casual fans in my group.  They didn't know WHAT was going on.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2020, 07:24:44 PM »

Ok, I was actually at that concert.  Brian's actual appearance on stage was brutal. BRUTAL. Physically he looked good, yes. But Landy was using him like a trained Bear.  The audience couldn't understand a word he was singing (this was all dubbed in post production) and his strutting?  As a Beach Boys and Brian hard-core fan, I was really embarrassed and hard pressed to explain it to the casual fans in my group.  They didn't know WHAT was going on.

Wow, thanks for the first-hand report.  Such a strange period in BB history.    

Then again...  What wasn't a strange period in BB history?  Maybe 1962?  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »

Ok, I was actually at that concert.  Brian's actual appearance on stage was brutal. BRUTAL. Physically he looked good, yes. But Landy was using him like a trained Bear.  The audience couldn't understand a word he was singing (this was all dubbed in post production) and his strutting?  As a Beach Boys and Brian hard-core fan, I was really embarrassed and hard pressed to explain it to the casual fans in my group.  They didn't know WHAT was going on.

There's an audience recording of the show floating around somewhere, and I recall that Brian really butchers "In My Car" in particular. What we see/hear on the TV show seems to be a mixture of pre-recorded studio elements, and then some if not most or all of Brian's live vocal replaced with a re-record.

Brian did that little mini solo set at some some shows in 1989. Truly bizarre. They get Brian back for shows, but apart from a few things ("Surfer Girl"), they literally segregate, with the band doing most of their set without Brian, and then Brian doing his set without the band (with some of the backing guys staying on stage).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2020, 01:13:48 PM »

Correct.  He also performed "Country Feelins"--bad idea.

There's an audience recording of the show floating around somewhere, and I recall that Brian really butchers "In My Car" in particular. What we see/hear on the TV show seems to be a mixture of pre-recorded studio elements, and then some if not most or all of Brian's live vocal replaced with a re-record.

Brian did that little mini solo set at some some shows in 1989. Truly bizarre. They get Brian back for shows, but apart from a few things ("Surfer Girl"), they literally segregate, with the band doing most of their set without Brian, and then Brian doing his set without the band (with some of the backing guys staying on stage).

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx