gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:19:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever wanted to hear Handel overtures arranged for electric mandolin ensemble?  (Read 5167 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:47:24 PM »

You're in luck then.

https://soundcloud.com/joshilyn-hoisington
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:28:45 AM »

That's terrific! I linked your Rodelinda overture tracks on Bandcamp at my "hobby" forum at the end of last year. Now at least I can say how much I enjoyed them.

And now I have your new batch lined up for late night/early morning listening. Still not that good at music indeed! Grin

I'm not a great fan of Baroque instrumental music as a rule but I may become one yet. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 05:18:54 PM »

Thanks for the nice words.

I'm not sure that nearly two hours of baroque overtures on electric mandolins is anyone's cup of tea, but I do appreciate someone listening a little bit.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:45:23 AM »

I'm not sure that nearly two hours of baroque overtures on electric mandolins is anyone's cup of tea, but I do appreciate someone listening a little bit.

They should persevere. Many of the best finds are further down the list (Poro/Il pastor/Orlando/Ariodante).

To say nothing of this hard rock take on the Messiah "Sinfony"--incredible! That dissonance first heard in bar two sounds really nasty! Grin 

https://soundcloud.com/joshilyn-hoisington/muhzziauh

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »

They should persevere. Many of the best finds are further down the list (Poro/Il pastor/Orlando/Ariodante).

To say nothing of this hard rock take on the Messiah "Sinfony"--incredible! That dissonance first heard in bar two sounds really nasty! Grin  

Thank you!!  I really am grateful that you're listening.

When all is said and done, there will about about 60 overtures.  And by and by I'll add the fugal responses to the frenchy opening portions I'm doing now.  One can hear two examples of the complete overtures with the contrasting sections; Rodelinda and Giulio Cesare.  They are still works in progress, though, since they're really hard.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:28:07 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »

Thank you!!  I really am grateful that you're listening.

When all is said and done, there will about about 60 overtures.  And by and by I'll add the fugal responses to the frenchy opening portions I'm doing now.  One can hear two examples of the complete overtures with the contrasting sections; Rodelinda and Giulio Cesare.  They are still works in progress, though, since they're really hard.

My pleasure. But I'm sure it's not just me--first time I looked you had four followers there and now you have five. Wink

Yes, please keep us posted. I've got it bookmarked so I'll be following your progress anyway. What a labour of love. And yes, I should imagine much of it is horrendously difficult to play. That said, the fugue in the complete Rodelinda overture sounds awesome!   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »

I just listened to (provisionally) the last of your Handel "frenchies". Wonderful stuff. Of course, I'll be keeping an eye out for more.

I've linked the "Handel French Ouvertures Project" in my signature at the Steve Hoffman forum. It's a big place so I'm hoping at least a few folks there will check it out.

Meanwhile, now my appetite has been whetted, I'm moving on to GFH himself. I dug out two YouTube videos of his "overtures and sinfonias":         

Oratorios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMU6mjUjiWk
Operas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgx5FRSJDFk

To be continued!

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »

Well, I've done 40 overtures now.  Just a handful remain!  When I've finished doing all of the first, pompous, frenchy portions, I'll systematically go through and add the fugues and allegro sections as I'm able.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »

Up to 50 now.  I believe I've done all of Handel's all original operas (not including the pastiches.)  I think this is a pretty cool achievement, but the record labels are not exactly beating down my door.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 01:20:49 AM »

Up to 50 now.  I believe I've done all of Handel's all original operas (not including the pastiches.)  I think this is a pretty cool achievement, but the record labels are not exactly beating down my door.

Congrats, JH. I've just been listening to your Semele. Another beauty!

It's an extraordinary achievement. I really hope more folks get to hear and appreciate these gems.

Good luck with the fugues and allegros--when the time is right, of course. Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 03:38:01 AM »

It's high time I bumped this fine topic, not least to celebrate the fact that the "Power Mower" campaign is doing so well.

Last month De Nationale Opera put on Handel's Rodelinda in Amsterdam to enthusiastic reviews. One of our St. Petersburg fellow travellers attended a performance and thoroughly enjoyed it (I have her copy of the programme in front of me now):

Here is JH's beautiful take on the complete Overture to Handel's opera:

https://soundcloud.com/joshilyn-hoisington/full-overture-rodelinda

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 06:35:35 AM »

I hope aeijtzsche's exquisite William Byrd video upload draws attention to this massive labour of love (another one).

Hopefully she'll resume work on it when the time is right. Meanwhile, you could do a lot worse than dip into her arrangements of these "Frenchy opening portions" of all Handel's overtures. Every one different, every one a winner.

Before you do though, here is her take on the opening aria from Handel's Rodelinda:

https://soundcloud.com/user-826159106/ho-perduto-complete-w-synth

"The opera opens with Rodelinda’s lament for Bertarido, the husband she believes to be dead. 'Ho perduto il caro sposo', she sings, voicing the tragedy that is the central fact of her life as she sits alone and weeping in the palace. Though Rodelinda will pass through grief, misery and fury, her fidelity to Bertarido’s memory is inflexible and defines her every action until their joyous reunion." [Source]

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx