gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:51:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series  (Read 20424 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »

Back Home sounds to me like fast strumming on an acoustic 12-string, no special technique. I don't think it's only on the high e string though. I get a more similar sound on my 6-string acoustic with the top two strings.

I hear it now. First two notes on the B string.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »

What bothered me about the intro to Back Home was the attack, the way the strings were picked or struck on whatever instrument we're hearing. It didn't sound like a standard pick or plectrum.

So I made this video, no budget or production value, and it's done on an unplugged 12-string electric since I don't have an acoustic handy, showing what I imagined it *could* have been. No room reverb either.

Is it how that intro was done? Probably not. But take a look and give a listen, and see what you think. It could have been done similar to this...maybe... Grin

https://youtu.be/lvAz4Kfzdm0

THAT sounds closer to the "Back Home" intro, to me, than what a zither would. I don't think it was necessarily struck with a pencil on "Back Home", but I now think it was Carol's acoustic 12-string, perhaps either tapped with fingers or struck with some kind of mallet...

The pencil was just the most convenient "mallet" to do that experiment. But it does sound close to that intro with something other than a pick striking the strings.

For the decades I've been playing guitar, I haven't heard a standard pick tremolo-picking a string sound like *that intro*. There is extra noise that a pick on strings doesn't produce. That's why I tried it with the video, to see if something being drummed on the string could come close. And minus knowing exactly what was used and how it was done, it did come close...

For those saying it's a standard guitar, listen to the first note, "E". There is an octave above the normal open E which is heard on that first note. You don't get that on either a 6 or 12 string guitar playing open E. That's why I fretted "E" on the G string, of that 12-string in the video. It's the only place you would get that specific high octave on a 12 string guitar to sound like that.

Did it come close when I tried all the notes on the E string? Yes. But it didn't have that octave which starts the whole riff.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SBonilla
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »

What bothered me about the intro to Back Home was the attack, the way the strings were picked or struck on whatever instrument we're hearing. It didn't sound like a standard pick or plectrum.

So I made this video, no budget or production value, and it's done on an unplugged 12-string electric since I don't have an acoustic handy, showing what I imagined it *could* have been. No room reverb either.

Is it how that intro was done? Probably not. But take a look and give a listen, and see what you think. It could have been done similar to this...maybe... Grin

https://youtu.be/lvAz4Kfzdm0

THAT sounds closer to the "Back Home" intro, to me, than what a zither would. I don't think it was necessarily struck with a pencil on "Back Home", but I now think it was Carol's acoustic 12-string, perhaps either tapped with fingers or struck with some kind of mallet...

The pencil was just the most convenient "mallet" to do that experiment. But it does sound close to that intro with something other than a pick striking the strings.

For the decades I've been playing guitar, I haven't heard a standard pick tremolo-picking a string sound like *that intro*. There is extra noise that a pick on strings doesn't produce. That's why I tried it with the video, to see if something being drummed on the string could come close. And minus knowing exactly what was used and how it was done, it did come close...

For those saying it's a standard guitar, listen to the first note, "E". There is an octave above the normal open E which is heard on that first note. You don't get that on either a 6 or 12 string guitar playing open E. That's why I fretted "E" on the G string, of that 12-string in the video. It's the only place you would get that specific high octave on a 12 string guitar to sound like that.

Did it come close when I tried all the notes on the E string? Yes. But it didn't have that octave which starts the whole riff.
I did hear that octave at the beginning. I didn't have anything to attribute that to. I haven't played a 12 string that many times; I forgot about the B and E not having octave doubles.
When I listen to it casually, it sounds like Brian wanted to evoke the sound of a banjo or mandolin to give it a homey feel.  
I'm still listening for something other than 16th notes being played with a pick.
PS I just tried out the pencil as hammer technique. Very interesting...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:18:15 AM by SBonilla » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »

Well, if you all can wait until late December, I'll have my acoustic 12 to demonstrate on.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2019, 11:28:27 AM »

Well, if you all can wait until late December, I'll have my acoustic 12 to demonstrate on.

Sounds well worth the wait to me! Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2019, 11:30:06 AM »

Something that’s always been a puzzler for me is figuring out the vocal arrangements. Some episodes on the vocals would be pretty neat to see. 😉

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »

JH, there's someone on another website I post at who would like to know what four-stringed instrument you are playing in episode 00 at about the three-minute mark. I suggested an electric mandolin, as in the credits, but could you be more specific? Thanks! Sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere and I missed it...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »

JH, there's someone on another website I post at who would like to know what four-stringed instrument you are playing in episode 00 at about the three-minute mark. I suggested an electric mandolin, as in the credits, but could you be more specific? Thanks! Sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere and I missed it...

It's an Eastwood Mandostang!

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/warren-ellis-mandostang?variant=34599885764
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »

It's an Eastwood Mandostang!

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/warren-ellis-mandostang?variant=34599885764

Thank you! I'll pass it on. Wink

What a gorgeous sound it makes!

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2019, 02:14:36 AM »

Something that’s always been a puzzler for me is figuring out the vocal arrangements. Some episodes on the vocals would be pretty neat to see. 😉

I found this the other day which makes it surprisingly easy to read

https://www.surfermoon.com/tabs.shtml#vocal

There are a few songs (Til I Die, etc) linked on there. The GitHub site linked to is offline now, but archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120205222544/http://beach-boys.aure.com/
Seems some of the linked files are gone though.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:15:22 AM by UEF » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx